Author Topic: Can I fix this?  (Read 64757 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Can I fix this?
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2011, 08:55:10 AM »
"So, he licked his fingers and swiped them across the contacts.  I'd still like to see a DNA test to prove we are related."

Dang, I was going to mention my Pop doing that but I thought the thread was getting too anecdotaled.  He didn't wet his fingers though.

He wired up the summer house we had on Long Island and I helpered ("Gimme that screwdriver") and watched him do it all the time.  Then came time to wire up the 220 well pump and he did it.  That was only the 23,746th time I ever heard him curse with really offensive dirty words.

I'm fairly sure we're actually related because I have in hand Mom and Pop's original marriage certificate from early 1938 and my birth certificate more than nine months after that.

I always wanted to mount the two documents in the same frame, along with the legend, "Solid PROOF that despite all the name-calling, I am NOT a bastard!"
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 09:02:33 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2011, 08:56:24 AM »
Sweeeeeet... :lol:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2011, 10:16:35 AM »
I always wanted to mount the two documents in the same frame, along with the legend, "Solid PROOF that despite all the name-calling, I am NOT a bastard!"

Win.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2011, 11:52:29 AM »
Isolator arc on a 500Kv line in Boulder City, NV.  (And interestingly not far off from what happened after Dad tried to wire up his new air compressor)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQQMK1Rvq0A

Brad

I saw the explanation for this one.  These guys were working on the line to try to figure out why one of the phases wasn't disconnecting properly...   Turns out the SF6 "puffer" that is designed to extinguish the arc right as it forms wasn't working.  What you were seeing was the arc formed with no real load on it.  Here's the full explanation:

http://205.243.100.155/frames/longarc.htm#500_kV_Switch
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2011, 10:42:20 PM »
 =D
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2011, 11:31:26 PM »
Doesn't that just make you wanna jump right in and rewire your whole house Mrs Smith?

:D
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2011, 11:35:24 AM »
<yawns> Did that this morning before breakfast...
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2011, 11:50:12 AM »
<yawns> Did that this morning before breakfast...

And holding the toast and eggs near the arcing to cook breakfast for one's self is called... multitasking.

It's known women are better at that then men.
I promise not to duck.

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2011, 12:01:40 PM »
And holding the toast and eggs and bacon near the arcing to cook breakfast for one's self is called... multitasking.

It's known women are better at that then men.

FTFY.

And yes, of course we are. It's genetic. Much like asking for directions, not picking things up off the floor and eating/wearing them, reading instruction manuals, not feeling compelled to buy something we don't need just because it's on sale, and not eating food that was left sitting on the counter overnight.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2011, 12:31:33 PM »
feeling compelled to buy something we don't need just because it's on sale

This is a trait you ascribe to men?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2011, 01:32:07 PM »
Speaking of multitasking....

It has been over 100degF around here for like, forever.  Got to 104 yesterday.  My attic fan, set to cut on at 95deg, didn't shut off last night.

Anyways, I came across a recipe for "dashboard chocolate chip cookies" the other day that I am going to execute on this week.  While I am inside the building working.  I normally park in the shadiest place possible and crack open the moon roof.  Not that day, baybee!
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #111 on: July 26, 2011, 01:37:29 PM »
Speaking of multitasking....

It has been over 100degF around here for like, forever.  Got to 104 yesterday.  My attic fan, set to cut on at 95deg, didn't shut off last night.

Anyways, I came across a recipe for "dashboard chocolate chip cookies" the other day that I am going to execute on this week.  While I am inside the building working.  I normally park in the shadiest place possible and crack open the moon roof.  Not that day, baybee!

A friend on Facebook has a pic of someone doing just that on her page.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #112 on: July 26, 2011, 02:26:31 PM »
This is a trait you ascribe to men?

Yes, it is. If you (meaning most men I know, not you specifically) walk into Ace Hardware and hammers are on sale, buy one, get one free, you'll buy one because you just "saved" the price of a hammer. And because a man can never have too many hammers even if he already has 17 of them in his tool box.
At least, that's how several of my male friends have explained it to me.

Prime example of men seeing nothing wrong with eating food that's been left sitting out. Rooster, I hope there are no eggs or butter in your cookie recipe. Choc chip cookies are usually baked at 375 degrees for 9-11 minutes. I usually take them out after nine so they stay soft and chewy. But the internal temp of your vehicle is likely only a third of what's needed to cook efficiently - or SAFELY.
Still, I'm curious to see how this turns out. Please do post pics.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2011, 02:37:42 PM »
Oh good, you've managed to avoid turning yourself into a corpse working on your wiring.

And, a man's multitude of hammers equal's a woman's multitude of shoes.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #114 on: July 26, 2011, 02:41:09 PM »

And, (a man's multitude of hammers)^3 equal's a woman's multitude of shoes.

Fixed for enhanced truthiness.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #115 on: July 26, 2011, 02:42:03 PM »

But, there are so many necessary kinds of hammers!  From sledge to deadblow to ball peen to framing to mallet etc.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #116 on: July 26, 2011, 02:42:13 PM »

No man can own that many hammers. ;)

My wife has 56 pairs of shoes. I have maybe four hammers of any one style.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #117 on: July 26, 2011, 02:51:29 PM »
Prime example of men seeing nothing wrong with eating food that's been left sitting out. Rooster, I hope there are no eggs or butter in your cookie recipe. Choc chip cookies are usually baked at 375 degrees for 9-11 minutes. I usually take them out after nine so they stay soft and chewy. But the internal temp of your vehicle is likely only a third of what's needed to cook efficiently - or SAFELY.
Still, I'm curious to see how this turns out. Please do post pics.

That is why there is a specific recipe for this endevor. 
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #118 on: July 26, 2011, 03:12:42 PM »
a man can never have too many hammers

You need a hammer for danger.

You need a hammer for warning.

You need a hammer for love between your brothers and sisters.

:lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #119 on: July 26, 2011, 03:21:53 PM »
If I had a hammer............................................

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2011, 04:00:40 PM »
Yes, it is. If you (meaning most men I know, not you specifically) walk into Ace Hardware and hammers are on sale, buy one, get one free, you'll buy one because you just "saved" the price of a hammer. And because a man can never have too many hammers even if he already has 17 of them in his tool box.

Say what you will, but in my experience most of the "two-day sale!", "buy one get one free" and "today only, 80% off a top that was overpriced 400% yesterday"-style impulse buying is happening over on the softer side of Sears.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #121 on: July 26, 2011, 04:04:46 PM »
I'm always amused at the discussion that go "Most people I know who do X foolish thing possess one type of genitalia, ergo everyone who possesses them must be inclined to X foolish thing." Always makes me want to tell the person to get better friends...  :lol:

That being said, there are certainly male/female differences that are integral not cultural. But some of the things that logic is extended to are a bit shaky.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #122 on: July 26, 2011, 04:18:38 PM »

You sound like my mom....and my wife....

...anytime you put cookie dough in the oven, you're overcooking it....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #123 on: July 26, 2011, 04:35:36 PM »
I have maybe four hammers of any one style.

Friend of mine, his F-I-L passed away.  He had spent his life as a welder.    He had probably 50-60 different "styles" of chipping hammers.  To get rid of them, my friend gave one of all of those hammers away to just about everyone he knew.

So I have a:
Framing hammer (well three of different weights and claws)
Roofing Hammer
Deadblow Hammer
Chipping Hammer
Ball Peen Hammer
Sledge Hammer (Both hand and pole)
Wood mallet
Brass mallet
Hatchets  (Four)
Tack Hammer
Brick Hammer
Drywall Hammer

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #124 on: July 26, 2011, 05:42:44 PM »
Ahhh, but....

This:

Not this:

The two normal curves show boys versus girls for a given characteristic, such as tendency to buy hammers, shoes, chain saws. sewing machines, height, or weight, or almost anything except the ability to get pregnant.

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 06:18:20 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.