Author Topic: ISIS Tar baby  (Read 16039 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: ISIS Tar baby
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2015, 03:54:06 PM »
ISIS is slowly but surely pissing off their Muslim brethren in the myriad of sects who don't ascribe to Wahabbism.  Wouldn't surprise me any to seen the patron of Wahabbism, the House of Saud, begin to have 2nd thoughts.

Some of what I've heard about the new boss in Saudi sounds like he is a bit more favorable to the extremist side than the old boss.
Time will tell.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2015, 04:20:50 PM »
???

Quite the opposite.

Japan civilian population was very willing to follow orders from the top brass and the Emperor. Convincing the top brass and Emperor wasn't easy, but it was achievable. It would have been very costly to take Japan if the top brass and the Emperor uniformly said "Fight to the last person standing and don't cooperate with the occupying foreign devils!"

I'm not talking about the war, but the occupation that happened afterwards.

Japanese culture may be alive and well today, but it has been changed.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2015, 05:14:46 PM »

Those are still war heroes to them - suicide is still a big deal, language and religion are there.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2015, 05:23:16 PM »
Exactly.

Depends who you ask
And that war was definitively won

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2015, 05:40:22 PM »
If your success relies entirely on the civilian population acting in a way that is entirely foreign and contrary to their nature, you won't win unless you pull a Soviet Union or Taliban. Torture, genocide, no system of law, etc.

I'd submit that the Soviets did their best at unlimited warfare/genocide over the course of a decade and still lost.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2015, 09:16:57 PM »
Looks like the Jordanian King is putting his money where his mouth is. I'm sure he'll have a flying shield of other aircraft with him, but still...

I can't ever see a US President of either party doing the same thing.

http://twitchy.com/2015/02/04/hard-core-jordans-king-abdullah-in-combat-gear-and-ready-to-fight-isis-photos/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

• friends
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2015, 09:32:12 PM »
He looks pissed. Reminds me of the look on grandpa's face right before I got struck unconscious .

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2015, 11:21:45 PM »
*sigh*  I wish we had a leader like that....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2015, 06:44:40 AM »
Looks like the Jordanian King is putting his money where his mouth is. I'm sure he'll have a flying shield of other aircraft with him, but still...

http://twitchy.com/2015/02/04/hard-core-jordans-king-abdullah-in-combat-gear-and-ready-to-fight-isis-photos/

Didn't you see Independence Day? :laugh:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2015, 07:21:56 AM »
I'd submit that the Soviets did their best at unlimited warfare/genocide over the course of a decade and still lost.
That did work for the Bolsheviks/Soviets on their own territory against their own people though.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2015, 08:14:30 AM »

Yep. Good guy, good leader. Only complaint one could make is that he's slowly expanding civil rights rather than quickly. I personally think it's the smarter option. Dude is expanding Jordan's economy, building an entirely no-excrement peaceful nuclear program, modernizing the military and personally putting missiles on target. The guy did start and command Jordan's Special Forces command. I'd rather have him on my side in bar fight than even Putin. 

And weird as hell. I do concur that Japan largely decided to play along with the US and did change mostly for the better. It'd take more of an expert than I to say how much was due to our 7 year occupation and how much was Japan wanting something different.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

• friends
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2015, 09:01:39 AM »
It was the occupation
One slick move was requiring the Japanese to learn English in school. Kinda the reverse of the Brits making teach Irish illegal in ireland

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2015, 09:07:27 AM »
And weird as hell. I do concur that Japan largely decided to play along with the US and did change mostly for the better. It'd take more of an expert than I to say how much was due to our 7 year occupation and how much was Japan wanting something different.

It was the occupation
One slick move was requiring the Japanese to learn English in school. Kinda the reverse of the Brits making teach Irish illegal in ireland

I'll concede to C&SD's more personal knowledge in this instance.

From my own knowledge, though, I would have to agree that it would be hard to tell what was the motivation for the change that occurred. As I'm sure most are aware, the culture was not all that pleasant for those not in the elevated classes prior to the war. (Of course, that can be said for pretty much every culture, but that's another matter.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2015, 08:54:33 PM »

Maybe we could put Obama out there in a golf cart, surrounded by tanks, to "lead" us into battle.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

• friends
Re:
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2015, 09:10:45 PM »
It is hard to assess motive. And a common mistake is to assume  because folks, particularly Asian folk, are polite and smile to your face that  they like you or what you make me do. Deeply ingrained is the idea of their superiority and eventually supremacy

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2015, 09:15:12 PM »
Maybe we could put Obama out there in a golf cart, surrounded by tanks, to "lead" us into battle.

I'm strangely ok with this...

IED never gets the guy in front anyway  >:D
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2015, 11:12:44 PM »

He is taking pr tips form putin.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2015, 05:33:35 AM »
He can do it while blathering about the crusades at another prayer breakfast. If swear, if someone went back in time and told earlier generations about this ahole they wouldn't believe a word.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2015, 06:07:30 AM »
He can do it while blathering about the crusades at another prayer breakfast. If swear, if someone went back in time and told earlier generations about this *expletive deleted*hole they wouldn't believe a word.

Hell if they'd gonE back in time to 2004 they wouldn't believe but they'd have still elected the POS.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2015, 06:15:54 AM »
Further reading indicates those were old photos of the King.  He apparently did not lead airstrikes himself.
Sorry for harshing the story.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2015, 08:55:06 AM »
Further reading indicates those were old photos of the King.  He apparently did not lead airstrikes himself.
Sorry for harshing the story.

I din understand - don't you realise we won in Iraq?   It's a success story damnit.  Acknowledging anything contrary to that concrete fact is unamerican.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2015, 09:20:34 AM »
I din understand - don't you realise we won in Iraq?   It's a success story damnit.  Acknowledging anything contrary to that concrete fact is unamerican.
Well, we did win.  We just screwed up the aftermath and other bad guys are taking over or trying.  Of course, I am not sure there are any good guys over there. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2015, 10:21:01 AM »

Don't know what that has to do with the photos of King Abdullah? Which I apologize for as the story does seem to be uncorroborated at this time.

At any rate, Obama appears to be asking congress for military action against ISIS, so for a lot of Obama supporters, war may be an okay action now. Though he has once again appeared to set one of his stupid time limits, in this case three years. Kinda like leaving a note for the burglar that your alarm will be on and doors locked and someone home only from 8PM-6AM.

As to Obama's Crusades reference, that's one of the stupidest things he's ever said.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2015, 10:46:52 AM »
Obama makes this guy look like a better President every day:

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2015, 01:44:59 PM »
Don't know what that has to do with the photos of King Abdullah? Which I apologize for as the story does seem to be uncorroborated at this time.

At any rate, Obama appears to be asking congress for military action against ISIS, so for a lot of Obama supporters, war may be an okay action now. Though he has once again appeared to set one of his stupid time limits, in this case three years. Kinda like leaving a note for the burglar that your alarm will be on and doors locked and someone home only from 8PM-6AM.

As to Obama's Crusades reference, that's one of the stupidest things he's ever said.

"Some of our ancestors did some bad stuff in the name of religion centuries or millennia in the past, so we should be careful about judging people who are decapitating and burning people alive today in the name of religion."  ??? ;/ :facepalm:
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch