Author Topic: 2010 Census....Penalties for not participating?  (Read 71199 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: 2010 Census....Penalties for not participating?
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2010, 04:00:12 PM »
The idea of "race," pisses me off... I have no problem with "ethnicity,"
I know a guy that has fun with this sort of thing. If you go back long enough, all of his known ancestors are European. BUT . . . his grandparents were all born in South Africa or Rhodesia, as were his parents. He was born here . . . so as far as any racial profiling goes, he's African-American.

BTW, he doesn't actually go in for that "hyphenated American" cr@p, but he's convinced it got him some additional financial aid in college. (This I believe, since the same happened to me once I realized I was a Native American.  =D )

No drama here either - I wrote "3" in the box, stuck it in the envelope, sealed it, and left it in the mailbox with the flag up  :P

"civic duty" done  ;)
Did just that when I got the (very intrusive!) long form in 2000. Never heard back - end of story.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

PTK

• friends
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2010, 04:14:07 PM »
Did just that when I got the (very intrusive!) long form in 2000. Never heard back - end of story.

Yeah, from the number of people I know on both sides of the freedom coin that still find this form intrusive, I doubt any widespread fines or jailtime will be doled out. Wouldn't be practical.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2010, 06:30:43 PM »
Filled it out and put "American" as race for all four of us.

I did the same I did think about Euroinjunbrew-American for me and German-American for my wife.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2010, 06:34:24 PM »
Got mine.  Going to fill it out with "other un-hyphenated-American" as the race (note the hyphens) >:D

Really, why not answer the census short form?  The most important part of the census is the assignment of congresscritters. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2010, 08:27:47 PM »
why not answer the census short form?

Why not register your guns?  ;)

Somehow, being on a massive electronic database with GPS coordinates doesn't feel so good...  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Mrs. Inor

« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2010, 10:16:28 PM »
Inor and I received our form yesterday.  Answered question number one.  Mailed it today.  That is all they need to know and to us it will be worth the $100.00 penalty if it should come to that.  I intend to pay it all in pennies.

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2010, 01:11:08 AM »
I remember in 2000 there was a "long form" with a BUNCH of much more detailed questions: what job, income, what kind of car you drive, education, military service, etc.. 

Is there one of those this time?

No, the decennial long-form census questionnaire has been replaced by the ongoing American Community Survey.  Seems to be basically the same thing, except it's running ALL THE TIME, not just once every decade.

Paddy2010

« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2010, 01:50:30 AM »
I have no problem with participating because I have no fear. You can be sure that if .gov is interested in you, they already know way more than your census answers will tell them.

darius

« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2010, 07:30:11 AM »
Inor and I received our form yesterday.  Answered question number one.  Mailed it today.  That is all they need to know and to us it will be worth the $100.00 penalty if it should come to that.  I intend to pay it all in pennies.
And get on a watch list by doing so? 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2010, 09:19:50 AM »
Just got my form. Gotta wonder who makes these things up. Technically, I can't even fill it out for another three weeks. It's March, and the question asks how many people "are" living at this address as of some date in April of 2010. How do I know? I could have a heart attack and die before that date.

I gave them number of people and names. That's all that is needed to establish a census. My wife's and my ethnicity and race have nothing to do with how many representatives this state sends to Washington.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2010, 11:58:37 AM »

If not answering the census gets one on a watch list, then paranoia is more than justified  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2010, 12:08:02 PM »
If not answering the census is all it takes to get on a list, I must already be on so many lists one more won't hurt.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2010, 12:25:23 PM »
On St. Patty's Day
Everyone is Irish!
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2010, 12:33:42 PM »
On St. Patty's Day
Everyone is Irish!

Well, I'm Irish and Scots all year long.  :cool:

Eirean gu brath!
Alba gu brath!

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2010, 10:33:17 PM »
I have no problem with participating because I have no fear. You can be sure that if .gov is interested in you, they already know way more than your census answers will tell them.

That's pretty much how I feel. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2010, 12:14:46 AM »

That's pretty much how I feel. 

The Constitution still says they are to count the population every 10 years, not ask all kinds of personal questions.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2010, 01:24:58 AM »

A little prank like that results in a watch-listing?  Who told you this? 

If true, it's scary.  Scary, because our watch lists would then be pointless. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2010, 01:31:41 AM »

A little prank like that results in a watch-listing?  Who told you this? 

If true, it's scary.  Scary, because our watch lists would then be pointless. 

Oh, I don't know; having pointless watch lists might be a good thing. The feds have only so many people to do the watching, so eventually, if enough people get on the list, there won't be near enough watchers to watch everyone and the watch lists will not only be pointless, but useless.

Of course, it can backfire.  A group of dissidents in Soviet Russia attempted to do just that.  Stalin created the Gulags and "purged" everyone on the lists instead. 
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

darius

« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2010, 07:30:18 AM »
Oh, I don't know; having pointless watch lists might be a good thing. The feds have only so many people to do the watching, so eventually, if enough people get on the list, there won't be near enough watchers to watch everyone and the watch lists will not only be pointless, but useless.

Of course, it can backfire.  A group of dissidents in Soviet Russia attempted to do just that.  Stalin created the Gulags and "purged" everyone on the lists instead. 
The feds will stop at nothing to prove their point. There is a story going around about 2 suited IRS agents going into a car wash after 4 cents.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2010, 07:38:01 AM »

That was my point, yes. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2010, 12:05:37 PM »

Except we're armed and shoot back ;)

PTK

• friends
« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2010, 04:34:33 PM »

You just succinctly summed up why I reside in MT.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2010, 07:03:27 PM »

That is true.  =D
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2010, 10:54:48 PM »
Filled it out and put "American" as race for all four of us.
Same here.  Maybe, if enough citizens answer "America" we can get it on the "Acceptable Race" list.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2010, 02:37:26 PM »
I think it is to ones advantage to be counted because federal money is apportioned based on head count in a region.
Not if one lives in a place lke L.A. and would prefer that that place get less pull nationally...

the negative spin put on the process by the media.
You're kidding, right? All I've seen from the media is cheerleading about how we should all respond to the census so we can get as much of other people's money as possible.

I didn't see this posted in this thread yet, my apologies if it was: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XtuPvwBa2U
D. R. ZINN