Author Topic: Trump / Biden Debate #1  (Read 8263 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Trump / Biden Debate #1
« Reply #100 on: September 30, 2020, 12:51:00 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2020, 12:55:25 PM »
Another one from Ron's favorite source  ;)
I doubt any honest person’s major, primary takeaway from last night was something positive or negative about Biden.

No, everyone’s major takeaway was about Trump. As always. And while the reality of 2016 looms over all of us afraid to be wrong yet again in our predictive prowess, it feels like the wheels are falling off the bus. I strongly suspect there are very few people who went into the debate gung-ho for Trump who decided after his performance to not vote for him, but I am even more confident that the undecideds, or persuadables, or independent-moderates, or suburban moms, or whatever demographics out there are needed to give Trump a shot at winning this, were not remotely moved towards Team Trump last night.

The viewership of the next debate will be much lower. If the moderators don’t have a mute button for the speakers in debate No. 2, the viewership for debate No. 3 might be a record low. I do not say this because I disagree with President Trump on law and order, on re-opening the economy, on the credentials of Judge Amy Coney Barrett, or on the efficacy of corporate tax cuts. I agree with him on those four or five things. My problem with last night is that I could barely tell that he agrees with himself on those key issues. His demeanor undermines his own case.

I don't know if his performance was aimed at undecideds/moderates - it didn't seem like it to me. I also don't know if that is where it should be aimed or if Trump's best bet is to just make sure 100% of his rabid base votes. Count on the their enthusiasm to show up and the lack of it on Biden's side. I was very surprised that polls show more than 10% still undecided when I went to look that up.  However, It was something like 15%+ in the last weeks of 2016 and broke pretty heavily for Trump.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2020, 01:19:17 PM »
The calls from Team Biden to cancel or modify the upcoming debates are apparently widespread. So pretty obvious that Trump won round 1.

More proof?
https://www.dailywire.com/news/google-searches-for-move-to-canada-soar-after-presidential-debate
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2020, 01:30:39 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #104 on: September 30, 2020, 01:33:40 PM »
CNBC is reporting that donations to the Biden campaign are surging yesterday.

No word on donations to the Republicans, but those are just racist dollars anyway.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #105 on: September 30, 2020, 01:43:17 PM »
Trump missed an opportunity on the Amy Barrett nomination.  He should have said he made a nomination (then an aside praising himself for nominating such an awesome candidate) because the Constitution requires it.  That's his job.  The Senate then does whatever it wants with that nomination; if the president and the senate majority are of the same party they usually approve it, if they are different parties the senate usually rejects or delays it.

He otherwise got it right.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #106 on: September 30, 2020, 02:07:47 PM »
I didn't catch this in my selective review of the debate last night. Did Biden actually call Rittenhouse a white supremacist?

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2020/09/30/its-their-choice-lawyer-for-kyle-rittenhouse-gives-joe-bidens-campaign-two-options-after-white-supremacist-smear/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #107 on: September 30, 2020, 02:30:05 PM »
I think Biden did a terrible job of moderating the trump/Wallace debate.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #108 on: September 30, 2020, 02:37:49 PM »
I didn't catch this in my selective review of the debate last night. Did Biden actually call Rittenhouse a white supremacist?

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2020/09/30/its-their-choice-lawyer-for-kyle-rittenhouse-gives-joe-bidens-campaign-two-options-after-white-supremacist-smear/

I don't think so, but watch the video in the link, Rittenhouse's image is in there.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #109 on: September 30, 2020, 02:57:10 PM »
She just sounds supercilious and smug, I guess.

She IS supercilious and smug.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #110 on: September 30, 2020, 03:02:12 PM »

He didn't specifically say Rittenhouse is a white supremacist.  As I recall, he essentially said the violence in these protests is caused by white supremacists and right-wingers.  And he made a specific reference to Kenosha.  When I heard his statement I got the impression he was referring to Rittenhouse.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #111 on: September 30, 2020, 03:04:09 PM »
The Joe Biden twitter account showed a picture of Rittenhouse while talking about the "white supremacists".

He may not have picked the image personally, but as the saying goes: "I'm Joe Biden, and I approved this message."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #112 on: September 30, 2020, 03:12:20 PM »
The Joe Biden twitter account showed a picture of Rittenhouse while talking about the "white supremacists".

He may not have picked the image personally, but as the saying goes: "I'm Joe Biden, and I approved this message."

He is the Democratic Party.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2020, 03:38:56 PM »
It also showed a picture of Heather Heyer, most people can figure out they weren't calling her a white supremacist.

Chris Wallace's question that plays over the video is: are you willing tonight to condemn white supremacists and militia groups and to say that they need to stand down and not add to the violence in a number of these cities as we saw in Kenosha and as we’ve seen in Portland.
It doesn't show the picture of Rittenhouse when Wallace says white supremacists, it shows him when he says Kenosha.

Suing Joe Biden for that would be dumb (so it will probably happen).
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2020, 03:44:07 PM »
Ah.  I had only seen the still picture of his tweet.  I don't follow @snifherJoe, so I didn't realize it was a video.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #115 on: September 30, 2020, 04:01:22 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #116 on: September 30, 2020, 04:42:47 PM »
It also showed a picture of Heather Heyer, most people can figure out they weren't calling her a white supremacist.

condemn white supremacists and militia groups

Is there a difference on the left side? I usually see the take that "militia=white supremacy" as long as there are white people in the militia.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #117 on: September 30, 2020, 04:48:23 PM »
Wait -  I didn't see this before: Wallace actually had the nerve to ask Trump if he'll urge HIS supporters to stay calm if he loses? WTAF?!? Wallace has really turned into a dbag.

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2020/09/30/gop-spox-shares-video-proving-chris-wallace-asked-the-wrong-candidate-if-hed-urge-his-supporters-to-remain-calm-if-he-loses/

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #118 on: September 30, 2020, 04:50:09 PM »
From Joe Biden's Twitter account:

It's a pretty blatant attempt to link Rittenhouse with white supremacists.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #119 on: September 30, 2020, 06:23:11 PM »

Hear hear!

Enough of the pretend conservatives like at the National Review/Weekly Standard and the controlled opposition crypto leftists they've helped elect ie RINO's.

They are losers.  
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #121 on: September 30, 2020, 08:55:57 PM »
White Supremacist: Any white person who is sick and tired of the BS
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #122 on: September 30, 2020, 09:13:54 PM »
Rather interesting

Drew Holden fact-checks the fact-checkers after Tuesday night’s debate
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/09/30/drew-holden-fact-checks-the-fact-checkers-after-tuesday-nights-debate/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2020, 09:18:46 PM »
If you think that white supremacy is a big problem in the USA then you might just be a moron.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #124 on: September 30, 2020, 09:36:08 PM »
https://www.npr.org/2020/09/30/918809443/trump-on-defensive-over-white-supremacist-group-after-debate-comments?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&fbclid=IwAR2UtQ9gProMGIoStY9hLGts40SxvWPdHDeH4gKcbtj3QGwRst1ri4whQ1A&fbclid=IwAR1KQG8AkAwVmwXzBBz7TpI4aFveiNoto7cTItT_Fn4uvGjF3WEpc5YCRZY&fbclid=IwAR2Jjxf2O-08eLiFfFYPw2VQqVGhoKxG_a3CunXfMlYAA-HYBvmsxNwSqTI&fbclid=IwAR35Z6VarmqRsLScwKRzV3rZTFtihZK5Nz9DCOX8491ELA1MWM2gFrcCftk

Proud Boys? Who are they?

He makes a good point. Other than the MSM, Southern Poverty Law, and other commies telling me they are, I can find nothing that indicates Proud Boys are white supremacists. You can call them far right (though they label themselves as libertarians, and I don't know a lot of the far right that want to legalize drugs and abolish prisons) but that does not equal "white supremacist". They may have some weird ass ideas and rituals, but again, nothing white supremacist. The left seems to equate "western supremacy" with "white supremacy".

The Proud Boys were founded at the height of the 2016 presidential campaign by Gavin McInnes, a New York-based conservative online talk show host and co-founder of Vice Media who has since cut ties with the company. He estimates the membership at about 5,000 men nationwide.

McInnes and his followers believe there are 10 ways to “save America”: Abolish prisons, give each American a gun, legalize drugs, end welfare, close borders to illegal immigrants, outlaw censorship, venerate the housewife, glorify the entrepreneur, shut down the government and declare “the West is the best.”

The lefty media does the exact same labeling with three percenters, who also aren't white supremacists.