Author Topic: Should atheists, agnostics, etc. be allowed to have children?  (Read 33556 times)

Kyle

Re: Should atheists, agnostics, etc. be allowed to have children?
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2007, 09:24:30 AM »
Ignorance, eh?

You do not have to call yourself a Christian to be knowledgeable about it's tennants.

You can be raised from a Christian background, love to talk about religion with people of all faiths, and be a serious amature student of world religions.

And BTW, I don't think it's too unfair of me to say what Christianity is, orthodox or otherwise. The book only says one thing. 99% of all "interpretations" are attempts by weak-willed people to make an ancient religion fit into their modern, secular worldview. When there is a contradiction between the two, the theological side is dropped, because the secular one is more immediate.

An obvious one: The timeline of the Bible puts the world at about 6k years old. This is obviously not true. So, many (id say most) modern American Christians discard this detail as unimportant or somehow "metaphorical" to solve the inherent contradiction between their faith and their real life. The minority who take the 6k years thing seriously may be wrong, but they are strong in their convictions, and for that I have respect.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2007, 10:08:03 AM »
You do not have to call yourself a Christian to be knowledgeable about it's tennants....And BTW, I don't think it's too unfair of me to say what Christianity is, orthodox or otherwise.
Yes, one can be knowledgeable about Christian tenets without being a believer.  But, respectfully, you really have a long way to go.  Not that I wish to whine about this, but it truly IS unfair of you to make pronouncements about Christianity when you have such a limited understanding of it.  I'm just as annoyed by my fellow Christians who say not-so-nice things about Islam when they haven't really taken the time to learn about it.

Kyle, unless you're going to claim you were just kidding around again, I'd be really interested in knowing where the Bible says that "REASON and INTELEGENCE are held up to be the paths tp Hell," [sic] or where doubt is "forbidden."  Did you forget about the Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Job? 

And I'm having trouble believing you've read the Bible six times, yet you think the Bible only condemns homosexuality in "one obscure passage in Leviticus."  Both Testaments condemn it repeatedly.   

A cursory look at the history of Christianity will demonstrate how anti-intelectual that particular religion is.
Then it shouldn't take long for you to explain it.  You've made the charge that Christianity is anti-intellectual, now explain. 

The timeline of the Bible puts the world at about 6k years old. This is obviously not true. So, many (id say most) modern American Christians discard this detail as unimportant or somehow "metaphorical" to solve the inherent contradiction between their faith and their real life. The minority who take the 6k years thing seriously may be wrong, but they are strong in their convictions, and for that I have respect.

Thanks for your respect.  I appreciate it.  But I'd point out that the age of the world is far from obvious.  People with the instruments, information and training to study such things may find it obvious, but it's not easily accessible to most of us.  Therefore, it's really not a part of anyone's "real life."  Most people who believe in an old earth are just putting blind faith in majority opinion.  Not that any of that decides the issue, of course.

You have every right to exalt your own poor understanding of Christianity above that of Christians themselves.  But you're not helping yourself by doing so, and it makes you look silly.  It wouldn't take long to find some resources about why Levitical rules are not to be lived out by Christians.  You could start by reading the New Testament again. 

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Kyle

« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2007, 11:27:49 AM »
First- I did not say that Leviticus was the only place it was found. I simply said that is the bible verse that is most commonly (in my experience) cited. Nowhere is it so clear. "Without nattural affection" isnt quite as clear as Leviticus. On another note, in the NT and OT, whenever homosexuality is condemned, it is often followed up with the order or suggestion that men who engage in it should be killed by the rest of the community.

Leciticus
20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Romans
1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

So, if you are unenthusiastic about the killing of homosexuals, you are slightly unstable in your faith. Even most "orthodox" Christians who hate the sin and/or the sinner dont follow up by saying we should kill gays. So even they are cafeteria Christians to some extent.

As far as the reason/doubt part goes, I would concede that the Bible containts both sides of that coin. I would point out that the only unforgiveable sin is to doubt the Holy Spirit (cooincidentaly the wierdest and most counter-intuitive part of the trinity).

Also, Christianity in practice is almost inherently anti-intelectual. Reason has always flown in the face of Christianity, and only in the last century or two has the religion been able to water itself down enough to survive. Just ask Galileo and untold thousands more like him.

Before I continue on this note, may I ask what denomination you call your own?

The reason its difficult for you to believe I have read the Bible is because I have read it primarily objectively, and walk away from it with a far different impression than you. Read the Bible again, with an open mind. When somthing doesnt make sense, is obviously untrue, or flies in the face of your consience, make a note of it. The list you have when you are done will likely be impressive. Then we can talk about who has a long way to go.

You get annoyed when your fellow Christians talk bad about Islam? Have YOU read the Qur'ān? You may be suprised by just how right your fellow Christians are about that one. If only they cound turn that mirror on themselves.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2007, 11:49:45 AM »
I don't have a dog in this fight.
I don't have a dog in this fight.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Straw Man
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2007, 12:19:12 PM »
Kyle:

It is entirely possible that you did, indeed read the KJV many times.  Your words demonstrate no understanding, however, of the theology of orthodox Christianity.

For instance, you quote Romans as requiring Christians to kill homosexuals:
Romans
1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.
This is an error in understanding.

Look a bit deeper into the book of Romans:
Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
Romans 5:14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.
Romans 5:17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)
Romans 5:21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.
The orthodox understanding is that all sinners have earned death since the Fall, not just those who commit homosexual acts.

Thing is, even your own quoted text does not support whay you write, Kyle.  "Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death..."  Being worthy of death does not mandate that Christians go out and slay all those in need of killing.  That would be a full-time occupation.  Also, it is "the judgment of God," not of man, that condemns homosexual behavior.

You are well within your rights to erect straw men and take whacks at them, Kyle.  Norah Vincent said it best:

"...a true libertarian should never stand between a person and his First Amendment right to make a perfect jackass of himself."
----Norah Vincent

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2007, 12:27:35 PM »
Rabbi:

That ought not stop you from manufacturing one out of available materials and calling it the Athiest Epistemological Hound Dog of Verisimilitude.  Then announce that any atheists who do not believe in accordance with its dictates are cowardly and inconsistent.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2007, 01:44:34 PM »
On another note, in the NT and OT, whenever homosexuality is condemned, it is often followed up with the order or suggestion that men who engage in it should be killed by the rest of the community.

Well, now you're not talking about picking and choosing obscure passages, you're talking about a pretty major part of Christianity.  That is, that the theocracy of ancient Israel had outlived its usefulness.  Recall when Christ was presented with the adulterous woman and he failed to stone her as the law demanded.  Notice that Peter was explicitly told that laws about uncleanness (of food and of Gentiles) were no longer to be observed by faithful Jewish Christians.  And that Gentile Christians are not bound by every detail of the Mosaic Law.  Any "serious amateur" student of Christianity would understand that. 

Even most "orthodox" Christians who hate the sin and/or the sinner dont follow up by saying we should kill gays. So even they are cafeteria Christians to some extent.
No, they just have a better understanding of the Bible than you do.  You won't find Christians calling for the stoning of any other sinners, either.  So if we're picking and choosing, we're doing it rather consistently.  For that matter, you won't even find that many who want to outlaw things like adultery or lying. 

I would point out that the only unforgiveable sin is to doubt the Holy Spirit (cooincidentaly the wierdest and most counter-intuitive part of the trinity).
  Doubting and blaspheming are not the same thing.  Are you going to show me these passages of the Bible that tell me I can't ever doubt or be skeptical or use reason? 

What do you find so wierd about the Holy Spirit?

Also, Christianity in practice is almost inherently anti-intelectual.
I'm practicing Christianity right now.  Been doing so for years.  Please explain how it affects my intellect. 

Reason has always flown in the face of Christianity, and only in the last century or two has the religion been able to water itself down enough to survive. Just ask Galileo and untold thousands more like him.

Could you perhaps restate that?  It sounds like you're saying that Christianity was struggling to survive until it started to water down two hundred years ago.  Yet, it was strong enough to make Galileo recant.  Yes, the Church officials of that time opposed Galileo's scientific views.  Yes, Christianity went through another anti-intellectual phase in the recent past.  But that does not mean that Christianity is itself anti-intellectual or irrational.  I could easily counter with the fact that the church was responsible for the modern university.  That the church was, for centuries, the only institution in Europe that offered education and learning.  But really, since you have made the charge, you should tell me specifically what it is about Christianity that keeps people from thinking. 

Before I continue on this note, may I ask what denomination you call your own?
I don't. 

The reason its difficult for you to believe I have read the Bible is because I have read it primarily objectively, and walk away from it with a far different impression than you. Read the Bible again, with an open mind. When somthing doesnt make sense, is obviously untrue, or flies in the face of your consience, make a note of it. The list you have when you are done will likely be impressive. Then we can talk about who has a long way to go.
  I am reading it again, thanks.  How is it that you have been able to read the Bible so "objectively," when greater minds than ours have read it and found nothing that was untrue, nonsensical or unconscionable?  Or if the Bible offends your conscience, maybe your conscience is the one in the wrong.  But I really don't need to make a list, thanks.  I've already seen the lists of "contradictions" or "errors" and so far I haven't found anything that would invalidate the inerrancy of scripture. 

You get annoyed when your fellow Christians talk bad about Islam? Have YOU read the Qur'ān? You may be suprised by just how right your fellow Christians are about that one. If only they cound turn that mirror on themselves.

Haven't read it all yet, only some of the violent or offensive parts that get all the press.  Actually, I suspect that my fellow Christians are correct in what they say about Islam.  I'm only bothered by those who seem to be parotting others, when they don't really know.  I've seen a lot of non-Christians make really outrageous and ignorant comments about my religion.  I'd rather not do the same when it comes to Islam.  So, I'm reserving judgement until I can study it more.  So far, I think it's safe to say that the Quran is quite a bit different from the Bible.  Unlike most other scriptures, the Bible abounds in truth claims that can be proven or disproven.  It tells stories that are set in real history, sometimes involving characters from secular history.  By contrast, the quran seems mainly to be the opinions of one man, so it's much harder to prove it one way or another.  Also, the Bible contains no open-ended commands to slay unbelievers.  I don't know yet if I can say that about the quran.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2007, 01:46:45 PM »
Rabbi, are you trying to control your anger at us stupid, non-Talmud-reading Christians?  I suppose you think we're commenting on the OT when we haven't tried to understand it, eh?   police

Strings

« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2007, 02:01:20 PM »
it's like a train wreck: it just keeps getting worse, and you can't look away...

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2007, 02:07:11 PM »
Yeah.  It's worse when you're riding it. 

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2007, 02:16:21 PM »
Rabbi, are you trying to control your anger at us stupid, non-Talmud-reading Christians?  I suppose you think we're commenting on the OT when we haven't tried to understand it, eh?   police

Not anger.  Bemusement maybe.  It's funny to see people wrestling with passages when they have no context to put them into.  Really the answers are not that complicated.

Strings

« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2007, 02:31:47 PM »
I'd kinda think amusement, Rabbi. I have to admit, I've skipped over the last few posts shaking my head...

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2007, 05:24:11 PM »
With all due respect to Mr. Kyle, I'm rather amused myself.  Yeah, the Bible says you can't use reason and aren't allowed to doubt.   undecided  Funny stuff.

Rabbi, I don't think this is the place for your I-Speak-Hebrew trump card.  We're really not talking about the Torah that much. But if you care to enlighten us...

Kyle

« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2007, 06:50:08 PM »
Exodus 22:18  Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.

How many women have been horribly turtured to death over this one?

Exodus 22:19  Whosoever lieth with a beast shall surely be put to death.

Exodus 35:2  Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the LORD:  whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death.

Leviticus 20:9  For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.

Deuteronomy 22:23  If a damsel that is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her;
22:24  Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die;

I am going to stop here. I could go on but won't. I am sure you have some way of denying that these statements mean somthing other than what they say. I am interested to hear it. This stuff is straight up Wahhabism if you ask me.

Does any of the OT apply to Christians? All of it? Parts? Which parts? Do you believe that the 10 Commandment apply to Christians? Do these rules I listed above? Why or why not? Can you produce a list? Or even a passage that even vaguely lies out which do and do not apply? What justifies following some and not others? Not bound by every detail of mosiac law? Thats rather vauge. You argue that the reason lies in Christ's words, but I argue that the reason lies in what you personaly need his words to mean.

Could it be that "Dont Murder" and "Dont steal" fit nicely into our modern worldview, but "kill rape victims who don't fight back hard enough" clashes with it, so we throw it aside?

You say that nothing in the Bible flies in the face of your morality. Your God killing small children for the actions of one man, or perhaps of their parents, sounds fine and dandy to you?

On another note, the Qur'ān tells many of the same stories as the bible, with the same characters. Sometimes the Islamic telling is very similar, sometimes it is very different.

If you are interested, I would suggest a book called A History of God by Karen Armstrong.

Karen Armstrong spent 7 years... Roman Catholic nun... Left order... Oxford Univ.... now teaches at Leo Baeck College for the Study of Judaism and the Training of Rabbis...

The book details the history of the development of the Judeo-Christian god, and how he was and is understood by different peoples throughout history.

I understand your religion as one out of many, all equaly interesting, but no more "correct" or "true" than any other. I don't think there is any way that someone like me who sees the Bible as an amusing historical annecdote can have a discussion along these lines with an all-out believer.

I wish we could travel in time and see how in the future, children are taught biblical stores with the same whimsy we teach our children about the Greco-Roman religions.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2007, 08:24:21 PM »
Not to distract you all by answering the original question, but-

Atheists should NOT be prohibited from having children; they should be encouraged, because the first time that kid gets sick, they'll start praying. 
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

roo_ster

• friend
You can lead a horse to water...
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2007, 05:13:33 AM »
Kyle:

There are plenty of places (both on the net & in meat-space) where you could alleviate your ignorance of Christian theology.  If you are interested, I am sure you could find them.  If you ask, I am sure folks would be happy to direct you to them.

Your attitude, however, does not bode well for such an open-minded search.  It seems you have a whole lot of faith invested in straw/bogey-man you have erected and called "Christianity."

Folks can assist you in a search for knowlege, but mere humans are powerless to unloose the fetters you have made for your own mind.

"There's an old saying out there: 'You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.'  In SAC, we had a different version:  'Hold his head underwater and suck on his butt... the water will flow.'"
----Gewehr98

I was a Ranger, not SAC flyer, and do not subscribe to the SAC view on the whole horse/water problem.  We had different solutions for such horse/water difficulties.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2007, 05:13:59 AM »
With all due respect to Mr. Kyle, I'm rather amused myself.  Yeah, the Bible says you can't use reason and aren't allowed to doubt.   undecided  Funny stuff.

Rabbi, I don't think this is the place for your I-Speak-Hebrew trump card.  We're really not talking about the Torah that much. But if you care to enlighten us...

Sorry, Fistful.  I tend to think that debate is made better by having accurate information available.  You seem to think that things mean whatever you think they ought to mean.  That would be fine except other people think just like you.  The result is people pushing their own idiosyncratic views of whatever it is, ignoring basic facts and information.  And there is no harm in that.  But it is fun to watch.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2007, 05:20:17 AM »
Not to distract you all by answering the original question, but-

Atheists should NOT be prohibited from having children; they should be encouraged, because the first time that kid gets sick, they'll start praying. 

Actually, I think it'd be more likely that their parents would realize that they need to take advantage of modern medical science instead of JUST "praying".

People pray all the time and still die. Parents have been convicted for refusing medical attention for the kids and relying on prayer and the kids summarily die. (after suffering for quite a while from an easily treatable illness).

I work for a medical corporation that makes a lot of high-tech devices. For some specific serious conditions, I think I can safely say that if you just pray, you are going to die. There's no way about that. However, if there's intervention with these devices by a skilled surgeon, you have an excellent chance of survival. If you have no other serious conditions, a good chance of long-term survival.

It's 2007, not 1207.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2007, 06:18:13 AM »
Did anyone recommend "just praying"?  If so, I didnt see it.
Plenty of people also go to doctors and have expensive medical equipment and still die.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2007, 06:23:59 AM »
Did anyone recommend "just praying"?  If so, I didnt see it.
Plenty of people also go to doctors and have expensive medical equipment and still die.

But unless they "just pray" and it works on its own, it's not a quantifiable medical treatment. Though it might have a placebo effect on psychosomatic illnesses, or affect neurotransmitter levels. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2007, 06:28:44 AM »
Sorry, Fistful.  I tend to think that debate is made better by having accurate information available.  You seem to think that things mean whatever you think they ought to mean.  That would be fine except other people think just like you.  The result is people pushing their own idiosyncratic views of whatever it is, ignoring basic facts and information.  And there is no harm in that. 

Well, there is some harm in making vague accusations.  What do you mean? 

Maned, it's definitely a tragedy, and a form of child abuse, when parents fail to take reasonable medical steps to help their sick children.  But I doubt you could really show that religious people are more likely to abuse or kill their children.  Then again, when spanking is considered child abuse...  rolleyes

Wait, I just read your last post.  You're taking all this too seriously.  Antibubba was joking, man.  Nobody even suggested that praying was a medical treatment.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2007, 08:25:52 AM »
I am sure you have some way of denying that these statements mean somthing other than what they say. I am interested to hear it. This stuff is straight up Wahhabism if you ask me.

They mean exactly what they say, but we're not living in a pre-Christian, Jewish theocracy.  Give me some time, and I'll dig up the scriptures that explain such things.  Now, I'm going to answer your questions, and spend some time doing it, so after I post all that stuff later on today, I hope you can answer my questions. 

What justifies following some and not others? Not bound by every detail of mosiac law? Thats rather vauge. You argue that the reason lies in Christ's words, but I argue that the reason lies in what you personaly need his words to mean.
As I keep saying, the Bible gives us plenty of diverse passages that leave room for interpretation.  That is the case with the Law as much as anything else.  Yes, there are people who pick and choose from the OT to fit what they already believe.  That doesn't mean there isn't a correct way to interpret the OT.  It doesn't mean my view of the OT is invalid, just because others have made that mistake. 

On another note, the Qur'ān tells many of the same stories as the bible, with the same characters. Sometimes the Islamic telling is very similar, sometimes it is very different.
I know.  That's a big difference between Wahabism and the ancient Jewish theocracy.  Mohammed was writing about things he really had no way of knowing, (other than some accounts of his own activities, I think) and with nothing to substantiate that he was really inspired.  This is quite a bit different from the Bible, in which the authors were far closer, in time, to the events they described and were often eye-witnesses.

Yes, I have heard of Karen Armstrong, Richard Dawkins, David Hume, et al.  I'll get around to reading them some day, but so far I'm not impressed.

I understand your religion as one out of many, all equaly interesting, but no more "correct" or "true" than any other. I don't think there is any way that someone like me who sees the Bible as an amusing historical annecdote can have a discussion along these lines with an all-out believer.
There are so many things to address, here.  I'll have to get back to you.

I wish we could travel in time and see how in the future, children are taught biblical stores with the same whimsy we teach our children about the Greco-Roman religions.
You can already see that in liberal congregations all over the place, Jewish and Christian. 

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2007, 08:46:28 AM »
I tend to think that debate is made better by having accurate information available.  You seem to think that things mean whatever you think they ought to mean.  That would be fine except other people think just like you.  The result is people pushing their own idiosyncratic views of whatever it is, ignoring basic facts and information. 

Hehehe. Delicious.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2007, 08:52:53 AM »
Oh, the bents don't get to dictate to the straights what is normal. 

Who decides who is bent? Most of the believers look like pretzels to me. Some are so bent (over), they don't need to pay for colonoscopy.

jnojr

• friend
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2007, 10:31:50 AM »
A much more important question would be, "Who should get to decide who should be allowed to have children?"

It's easy for anyone to come up with a reason why "those people" shouldn't reproduce.  But what happens when "those people" are in charge, and they say you don't get to reproduce?