Author Topic: The 2024 Circus  (Read 35666 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: The 2024 Circus
« Reply #175 on: October 09, 2023, 02:56:33 PM »
BREAKING: Robert F. Kennedy Jr. announces his run for the Presidency ... as an Independent
https://twitchy.com/justmindy/2023/10/09/rfk-robert-kennedy-announces-run-as-independent-n2388319

Should only help whoever the R nominee is.  Most people on the right might be less nauseated by RFK Jr but there’s unlikely to be a significant shift in cots his way.  Even if Trump is the R nominee the votes RFK will get still be at least 3:1 from D’s.  That will make it much harder for the D nominee to win without even more blatant cheating than in 2020.
Formerly sumpnz

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #176 on: October 09, 2023, 03:04:55 PM »
Meathead is not happy and that's good thing in my book

Bobby Kennedy Jr.’s announcement to run as an Independent is a dangerous and cynical move by wealthy Republicans to put Trump back in the WH. I talked with Bobby and told him that what he is doing could destroy American Democracy. He didn’t care.
    — Rob Reiner (@robreiner) October 9, 2023
https://twitchy.com/dougp/2023/10/09/rob-reiner-tried-to-save-democracy-by-telling-rfk-jr-why-he-shouldnt-run-but-he-didnt-care-n2388324
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #177 on: October 09, 2023, 03:20:29 PM »
Should only help whoever the R nominee is.  Most people on the right might be less nauseated by RFK Jr but there’s unlikely to be a significant shift in cots his way.  Even if Trump is the R nominee the votes RFK will get still be at least 3:1 from D’s.  That will make it much harder for the D nominee to win without even more blatant cheating than in 2020.

I don't know.  I bet plenty of otherwise GOP voters will vote for RFF.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #178 on: October 09, 2023, 03:46:09 PM »
I don't know.  I bet plenty of otherwise GOP voters will vote for RFF.

Actually I've gotta side with sumpnz here. I know many conservative voters are in my boat - they support him against the establishment, but they would never vote for him.

For people who might vote for him, I would look to what I'm calling the "Tulsi Gabbard crowd" - dems and independents who have been speaking out against the establishment over the last couple of years, especially regarding the Trump vendetta stuff. I'm gonna guess that given Biden as the dem, and RFK the only "name" independent, that a lot of them that don't just stay home, will vote for him.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #179 on: October 09, 2023, 03:56:42 PM »
Lots of people on arfcom drool over RFK. 

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #180 on: October 09, 2023, 04:17:47 PM »
RFK and Tulsi are what I wish Democrats were.  That is to say, people with whom I may disagree on a bunch of issues but at the end of the day not worry that they fundamentally hate the founding ideas of the USA or are trying to actively trying to destroy our country.  I wouldn't want to vote for either of them, but I could probably think of some Republicans I'd have to pass up for them.

I have no idea what RFK's likely pull is with people who vote Democrat today.  When polled against Biden regarding the Democratic primary he was getting support from only a tiny fraction of Democrat voters.  In the polls that pit Biden vs Trump vs Kennedy, Biden and Trump are in a dead heat with Trump barely edging out a win ... but Biden and Trump have been polling at about that ratio without Kennedy involved too.  Honestly, I could see Kennedy spoiling for either candidate and afterward everyone nodding sagely and saying that they knew it was going to happen.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #181 on: October 09, 2023, 04:30:06 PM »

That's very surprising to me. I'm curious if it's all younger guys?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #182 on: October 09, 2023, 04:36:40 PM »
RFK and Tulsi are what I wish Democrats were. 

I'm not even sure you could call Tulsi a dem anymore, or even if she calls herself one. I continue to be impressed with what she has had to say since her, I guess not red-pilling, but whatever pill people take that's not red or blue.

Obviously "put your money where your mouth is" comes into play, but if she were to support what she says she supports now, I don't know if I would vote for her for President (I might), but I would not be grinding my teeth for four years while she tramples my rights, which these other jokers have done. She might do stuff I don't agree with, but then they all do that.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #183 on: October 09, 2023, 04:46:12 PM »
I'm not even sure you could call Tulsi a dem anymore, or even if she calls herself one.

Loads of arfcomers drool over Tulsi too.   ;/

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #184 on: October 09, 2023, 08:43:47 PM »
I'm not even sure you could call Tulsi a dem anymore, or even if she calls herself one.
That’s fair, and RFK is apparently ditching the party too. Just goes to show that the kind of Democrats who love the country can’t get along with the Democrat party anymore.

But no, it was Trump who shifted the Overton window so much.

Loads of arfcomers drool over Tulsi too.   ;/
She is a good looking woman.  Better to drool over her than RFK.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #185 on: October 09, 2023, 08:45:18 PM »

You might tell them to search what he said about the NRA. The NRA has made the 2nd Amendment a suicide pact with our children. When are we going to deal with the NRA.

That might not be an exact quote but it's close.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #186 on: October 10, 2023, 08:23:07 AM »
Wow. RFK's own family is attacking him, invoking his father. Seems to me that he's actually closer to his father's politics than to modern dem politics.

https://twitchy.com/fuzzychimp/2023/10/09/rfk-jrs-siblings-try-to-sink-his-third-party-run-faster-than-uncle-teds-chappaquiddick-sedan-n2388347

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #187 on: October 10, 2023, 09:32:16 AM »
The DNC is going to come after him with everything they can to get him to drop out before people start early voting.  They smell a Ross Perot.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #188 on: October 10, 2023, 10:46:40 AM »
You might tell them to search what he said about the NRA.

It doesn't matter what anti-gun things they say.

Charismatic aholes saying things that push the right emotional buttons... Trump, Tulsi, RFK.  Loads of people love them anyway.  Even on a gun forum.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #189 on: October 10, 2023, 12:12:00 PM »
It doesn't matter what anti-gun things they say.

Yeah "take the guns first, go through due process second=(

I have hard time telling who RFK will take votes from, he was anti-vax before it was cool and Trump is still proud of Operation Warp Speed. Judging by his Tucker interview and upcoming appearance at CPAC, RFK's current audience seems to be conservatives.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #190 on: October 10, 2023, 02:49:08 PM »
Well, this is interesting. Never in a million years would I have expected Tulsi to consider this:

https://youtu.be/Ek51cIacDs0

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #191 on: October 10, 2023, 05:54:45 PM »
Well, this is interesting. Never in a million years would I have expected Tulsi to consider this:

https://youtu.be/Ek51cIacDs0

Quite the change from 2020.  Has she really changed her stance, or is this her just being flexible and saying what she thinks Trump would want to hear?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #192 on: October 10, 2023, 06:00:07 PM »
Quite the change from 2020.  Has she really changed her stance, or is this her just being flexible and saying what she thinks Trump would want to hear?

I believe she's sincere in her change in politics, but I thought her whole deal with Trump was that she didn't like him, but was defending him not as Trump, but as a railroaded citizen.

I would have never though that she would consider a VP spot under him. Although, one thing about the VP spot is that unlike cabinet spots, Trump would pretty much be stuck with her if he did one of his "Mattis is the greatest/Mattis is an idiot" flipflops, and maybe she thinks she'd be able to do some good under those circumstances from a somewhat "protected" position.

Of course I have no idea what Trump thinks of her, so the point may be moot. My guess is that if Trump gets the nomination, that he will be looking for a guaranteed "yes man" for the VP slot so as not to have any Pence incidents. I don't think Tulsi would be a "yes woman".

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #195 on: October 30, 2023, 09:43:55 AM »
In Most Popular Move Of Presidential Campaign, Mike Pence Ends Presidential Campaign
https://babylonbee.com/news/in-best-decision-since-launching-presidential-campaign-mike-pence-ends-presidential-campaign
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #196 on: October 31, 2023, 09:50:29 AM »
Gavin Newsom EMBARRASSES Himself Playing Basketball With Kids In China As California FALLS APART!
https://youtu.be/h5L6Isz03mc?si=qADq8r2G-2JATPtg&t=276

I put this here since many think Biden will drop out of the race and Gavin will move in as the presumptive Democrat nominee.  Looked like he realized what he was doing mid-fall and tried to recover only to look even worse.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 12:58:35 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #197 on: November 07, 2023, 05:09:43 PM »
Family Makes Tough Decision To Put Aging Grandpa In US Senate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFeNSB66PY0

The Babylon Bee

:laugh:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #198 on: November 09, 2023, 09:04:57 AM »
The Minnesota Supreme Court on Wednesday punted on a decision that could keep former President Donald Trump off the 2024 presidential ballot in that state.

The court dismissed a lawsuit that would bar Trump from the primary ballot under a provision of the 14th Amendment that bars people from holding public office if they “engaged in insurrection or rebellion.” But the justices noted on Wednesday that the decision applied only to the state’s primary, leaving open the possibility that the former president could be booted from the ballot in the general election in November.

Minnesota Supreme Court: Trump can remain on the ballot — for now
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/11/08/minnesota-supreme-court-trump-ballot-00126210
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #199 on: November 09, 2023, 09:44:46 AM »
I don't see Trump not being allowed on the ballot in any state, unless he is found guilty of sedition. I think the start of that trial is in March 2024, which is in the middle of primary/caucus season.

I'm tired of living in interesting times.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536