Author Topic: Quizno's Subs  (Read 25246 times)

BakerMikeRomeo

Re: Quizno's Subs
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2007, 03:04:16 AM »
You're all chumps. Jimmy John's is the only way to go, and it better either be a Bootlegger or a Gargantuan, or we can't be friends anymore.

~BakerMike

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2007, 06:08:21 AM »
You're all chumps. Jimmy John's is the only way to go, and it better either be a Bootlegger or a Gargantuan, or we can't be friends anymore.

~BakerMike
A risk I'll have to take, I guess.  I don't think there are any Jimmy John's in the Phoenix area.

johnster999

« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2007, 06:09:10 AM »
Anybody try Firehouse? My favorite by far.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2007, 06:12:24 AM »
Guacamole always reminded me of what was on the bottom of my Yellow-Naped Amazon parrot's cage.   undecided

When you get right down to it, just about any food item on the planet looks like another creature's leavings.

Are those black beans or was there a deer through here?

Chicken livers or....
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Paddy

« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2007, 06:20:04 AM »
Guac is always terrible.  Like sour cream, it was invented by Satan to ruin good Mexican food.

Are you getting real guacamole there in Misery?  Made with fresh avocados, cumin, a little diced tomato, onion & serrano chiles, with lime juice and maybe a little cilantro and garlic?  Or are you getting some other horrible concoction with (barf) mayonnaise and msg or who knows what?

Or maybe you're just an effete Euro commie  laugh

Edited: Laughing smiley added to avoid ad hominy

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2007, 06:24:01 AM »
There was a bit of a scandal a while ago that a lot of the supermarket brands of guacamole, like Kraft, contained no avocado at all.

Yuck.

Paddy

« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2007, 06:28:49 AM »
Maybe he's getting the Made in China guac from Walmart.  Made with real parrot droppings.  laugh

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2007, 07:35:17 AM »
Guacomole is good stuff. Not the pukey green slime you get from the mega-store, but fresh stuff, with avocado lumps still in it, is pretty good.
Andy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2007, 07:45:37 AM »
If you want good guac, you have to make it yourself.

I made some for a party last year and even the host, who professes to dislike guac, was wearing the bowl like a feed bag.

When I make it I puree about half the avocado in the food processor with the spices and then add the rest of the avocado and give it a coarse mash with a vegetable masher.

Serranos can be kind of hard to find in the DC area, so I normally use a combination of Anaheim (for flavor) and jalapenos (for fire).

Never, EVER use the lime juice out of a bottle. It really detracts from the overall flavor.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2007, 07:47:50 AM »
There was a bit of a scandal a while ago that a lot of the supermarket brands of guacamole, like Kraft, contained no avocado at all.

Yuck.

Kinda like that stuff you get that says "cheese flavored food" even though it's neither.

Never, EVER use the lime juice out of a bottle. It really detracts from the overall flavor.

I dunno.  I've found the bottles taste pretty much the same no matter what's in them.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2007, 07:55:18 AM »
STOP EATING THE BOTTLE!

Geesh!  laugh

Joe Demko

• friend
  • Marko Kloos was right about you.
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2007, 07:58:32 AM »
STOP EATING THE BOTTLE!

Geesh!  laugh

I used to scream those exact words at my brother, in the long-long-ago, when he'd eat the little wax bottles with the flavored sugar water in them.  Do they still make those? 
That's right... I'm a Jackbooted Thug AND a Juvenile Indoctrination Technician.  Deal with it.

Paddy

« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2007, 08:15:49 AM »
There are a bunch of independent sandwich/sub shops around here that stay busy, largely because this is a college town.  Any of them make a decent sandwich and you can get it anyway you want.  But, when we were kids, Dad used to go to a place called Roma Italian Grocery. There were cheeses and salamis hanging from the ceiling, and they baked bread and rolls right there.  They'd slice the meat and cheese right in front of you and wrap it in wax paper. We'd come home with a big bag full of meats I can't pronounce, let alone spell, cheeses, olives, peppers, and fresh baked bread.

I haven't had sandwiches that good since.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2007, 09:01:02 AM »
Whole ham muffaletta from Jason's Deli or a pastrami and swiss on rye from Schlotzky's.

Rabbit:

Ever have Big Easy's muffaletta sandwich (US75 & Park)?  If so, how does it compare with Jason's?  I really like the BE muffaletta.  One quarter sandwich and I am good-to-go.

--------

I know of one Subway worth frequenting, back in the 1980's.  Our neighbors, the Fishgolds, had several Subways.  Lenny, the husband, we called "Mr. Negative."  Never had a car he liked, never ate a good meal in a restaurant.  (Good guy, though.)  He insisted on using the best ingredients in his subs and I'll be darned if they weren't the best Subway subs I ever ate.

--------

Down South I think Krystal is the White Castle wannabe.  I recall the first/last time I ever entered one.  My buddy ordered the 12 -sandwich "combo."  I didn't want to look like a wuss, so I ordered one, too.

Twenty-four sliders later, we go to the arcade.  It is my bright idea to take a ride on the "virtual rollercoaster."  Bad Idea.  Neither one of puked IN* the coaster, but my buddy got out, staggered to the restroom, and reverse-chugged them into a toilet.  I kept mine down, but I had to hibernate for 3 hours when we got home.

No more Krystals for jfruser.

* And I thank the Lord, to this day.  Since we were strapped down in this fully enclosed box that spun in 6 degrees of freedom, went up & down, back & forth, and we were upside down at times.  Popping in there would have been the definition of "messy."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Paddy

« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2007, 09:07:19 AM »
I don't like Quiznos too much. I looked at their nutrition information, and just like all fast food, their stuff is a hell of high-fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oils and other garbage. The "sauces" are all HFC and trans-fats. And LOADS of salt. Even their bread is full of bad for you stuff.

Where are you getting Quizno's nutrition information, Manedwolf?  I can't find it on their website.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2007, 09:25:53 AM »
You have to find the Quizno's info elsewhere, no, they don't list it on their website or in the store. But it's out on the web.
They've actually been mentioned on the news for failing to release their nutritional information.

And Krystals, I believe, is one of the top chains in failing health inspections. Hardee's is the other.

Paddy

« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2007, 12:10:04 PM »
You're a killjoy, Manedwolf  laugh

BBUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRP!   Quizno's pastrami for lunch.   Good.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2007, 04:02:03 PM »
All this talk about subs made me go to Cousin's for lunch today. I had a tuna sub, with everything, including their hot red peppers. Their prices have went up lately, as it was $5.25 for a sub. I think it's too much for a simple sub, but it was pretty good.

Friends of mine from New Orleans call subs "Po' Boys". It's an old term that's been around for a long time. They would fill you up, and were cheap so a poor boy could get some food at a cheap price. I guess they rank right up there with the famous east coast subs.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2007, 07:50:03 PM »
An oyster Po'Boy is top of the food chain, as far as I'm concerned.

Unfortunately, here in the mid Atlantic, it's almost impossible to find one.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2007, 09:48:42 PM »
Manedwolf, for somebody who was pondering eating post-dated MREs, isn't there some granola and tofu joint you need to be at?   grin

Depending on who you ask, everything is bad for you these days, even di-hydrogen oxide.

I laughed so hard my ribs hurt when they played the "Supersize Me" DVD at our squadron health and wellness day a while ago.

Those fat kids who sued McDonald's?

They should've done their research.  Everybody knows spoons are what made Rosie O'Donnell fat, too.   

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2007, 05:17:49 PM »
Had a really good sub today; it's from a place called Bo Diddley's. They have several places in the St. Cloud area in central Minnesota. My girlfriend turned me onto this place years ago, and every time we're in the area we get a sub. Their full size sub is $5.99, and it's bigger and better than most subs in Minnesota.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2007, 07:04:34 PM »
Manedwolf, for somebody who was pondering eating post-dated MREs, isn't there some granola and tofu joint you need to be at?   grin

Depending on who you ask, everything is bad for you these days, even di-hydrogen oxide.

I laughed so hard my ribs hurt when they played the "Supersize Me" DVD at our squadron health and wellness day a while ago.

Those fat kids who sued McDonald's?

They should've done their research.  Everybody knows spoons are what made Rosie O'Donnell fat, too.   

Eating a steak, hamburger or other meats with natural fats is not bad for you in the way that eating partially hydrogenated oils is. Those have the receptor molecule locations all f-ed up, so the body can't process them as it should, and they end up getting stuck in places they shouldn't. Butter, likewise. Eating butter is much better for you than simulated butter flavor margarine with trans-fats in it.

Same with sugar. Eating sugar, drinking sugar drinks isn't bad like consuming high-fructose corn syrup is. The body can deal with metabolizing cane sugar or honey. HFC is, to the metabolism, like drinking from a firehose, and is probably part of the explosion of Type II diabetes.

It's not the fat and sugar. It's the screwed-up cheaper versions they've made that are metabolic poisons. You're way better eating a 32oz steak accompanied by sugar-sweetened lemonade than you are eating a piece of processed food with HFC and trans-fats accompanied by a HFC-sweetened soft drink. 

Trans-fats extended the shelf life of products and are cheaper, that's why they're used. But they're trash for your body. Nobody is saying eat tofu and granola...tofu is gross anyway. Just keep to the more, well...real things, real meat, real vegetables, real sugar, and you're good.

Just need to read labels. There's one loaf of bread made with cane sugar for every ten with HFC, but there's usually at least one brand on the shelves in every supermarket. Just got to read.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2007, 10:30:39 PM »
"Eating a steak, hamburger or other meats with natural fats is not bad for you in the way that eating partially hydrogenated oils is."

Yeah.

THIS week.

Next week, we might find out that partially hydrogenated fats actually cure cancer, malaria, whooping cough, and pissy attitudes while eating even a molecule of soybean oil will make your testicles explode.

What's "healthy" and what's not has changed so damned many times over the past 20 years that it's insane.

BUTTER IS THE GREAT SATAN! EAT MARGERINE!

No, it now appears that butter is much better for you than most margerines, because margerine contains trans fat!

STOP DRINKING COFFEE! EVEN ONE CUP WILL CAUSE YOUR HEART TO CLOG!

No, it now appears that coffee is benign, and it may in fact have legitimate health benefits.

Give it a few seconds. It will change.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2007, 09:49:02 AM »
I think Manedwolf missed my subtlety.

It ain't the food that's the problem.  It's the kids eating at Mickey D's 3 times a day, 7 days a week, while sitting on their posteriors with their X-Box consoles.

I worked my own posterior off on a dairy farm as a high-schooler.  We ate what would be considered lethal breakfasts, calorie and fat counts unknown, all done in bacon grease. It made the meals on Deadliest Catch seem lightweight in comparison.

We were all healthy, and to this day I still have good cholesterol and BP numbers, staying in my target weight for my height.

It ain't rocket science.  Burn the calories you eat.

I do like tofu in my hot and sour soup, so I hope they don't find it's bad for you.

Eventually, they will, though.  Just like red wine is bad for you, and milk is also unhealthy.  Oops, this week they're good for you.  Go figure.

I have a deep fryer on the kitchen counter, filled with peanut oil.  If I die from it and the french fries I make from my garden potatoes, it'll be with a big friggin' smile on my face, because they went down my pie-hole with a chunk of prime rib and were washed down with a big glass of moo juice.  Put that in the state-sponsored healthcare agenda, because you know that'll be part of their education plan, sure as *expletive deleted*it. 

(That's my public-service commercial for the week...)

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Paddy

« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2007, 11:42:34 AM »
As a general rule, the more highly processed it is, the less nutrition it has, and the worse it is for you.