Author Topic: Trump / Biden Debate #1  (Read 8251 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Trump / Biden Debate #1
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2020, 08:44:41 AM »
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/09/30/boom-telemundo-news-viewers-say-trump-won-the-debate-by-a-margin-of-66-34/

I'm not surprised by this. If you've ever seen Mexican TV, this would be a popular show.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2020, 08:49:12 AM »
Trump tried all the old tricks tonight that he pulled out in 2016, but not running against Clinton proved to be his Kryptonite. It’s simply harder for most people to hate Joe Biden than it was for them to hate Hillary Clinton, and so Trump’s personal depravity comes across less as Defcon-1 necessity and more as a sordid personal and national disgrace.

Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton were the two least popular major party nominees to ever run for president. Not being Clinton was enough for Trump to win. It stands to reason that not being either of them will be enough for Biden to win as well.

I'm not certain it will be enough for Biden to win, but the unlike-ability dynamics that helped Trump last time are different now. I think Trump's debate "style" worked better against Clinton.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2020, 08:52:52 AM »
I don't think any microphones should be cut off.  How a candidate responds to interruptions and challenges is part of the debate.  What will they do when they are pushed a bit and have unfriendly questions (for Democrats).
 Otherwise, we might as well just have each of them do separate press conferences.  If the microphones could be turned off, the damn moderators would be cutting off the one they don't like and letting the letting the other speak.  It would not be equitable.  

The main criticism I heard of Trump was that he should have let Biden talk as Biden was spouting a bunch of talking points some of which were publicly disproven.  I can see that, but I think Trump needed to push Biden to some extent.  Trump went overboard a little bit, but Trump will do that.  Biden didn't handle it well.  He was mostly falling back on talking points and trying to throw mud at Trump.  Trump could have had better responses at points.  Someone like Ted Cruz would have thrown out a lot more good facts and information, but he isn't Trump and Trump did get plenty of hits in.

I don't think Biden won the debate at all, but I don't know if I would say Trump won.  I want to say he did, but I am inclined that direction anyway.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2020, 09:02:31 AM »
I'm not sure we're the demographic Trump was aiming at with his performance.

The Telemundo numbers would back up my contention.

The National Review is controlled opposition.

If you like permanent war and losing the fight for every cultural touchstone, "on principle", the National Review is for you.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2020, 09:12:50 AM »
I watched the whole thing, somehow.  What a goat rodeo.  Both of them came off as immature and demeaning.  Biden called Trump a clown at one point.  On a live, nationally televised presidential debate.  Unprofessional, undignified, and unstatesmanlike is how they both came across.  It's like those that are actually in charge have agreed to put the two biggest idiots they could find in this "contest."  It's like "Dinner for Schmucks" and we're the schmucks.

I do think Trump should have pointed out that Biden is himself a millionaire when Biden was spouting off about how the Trump economy has only benefited millionaires and billionaires.  Trump has never made any bones about being rich, while Biden tries to come off as some kind of salt of the earth poor person.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2020, 09:13:37 AM »
When Trump was interrupting Biden and Biden lost track of which point he was on and Trump reminded him I laughed and thought of Fistful's suggestion.

Biden was inconsistent (If Trump had closed down for COVID sooner lives would have been saved/Trump is responsible for killing the economy by closing down the country) and easily wrong-footed.

Trump was ... Trump.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2020, 09:47:10 AM »
The uneducated, functionally illiterate, non-Americans in culture/political acumen and third world implants all have votes that are just as important as yours. Maybe more important than yours.

Your/our generations gave the country away, now we get to enjoy the consequences.

Enjoy the show.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2020, 09:55:28 AM »
First off, Biden looked pasty and kind of sickly.  He held up much better than expected, though by the end he was starting to verbally stumble.

At one point, Trump was saying that Biden would go with the government run healthcare plan that the far left wants. Biden said that it wasn’t true and “I am the Democratic Party”.  He later said that he does not support the Green New Deal.  Neither statement is going to please the Bernie/AOC wing.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2020, 09:58:13 AM »
I didn't watch the debate.  My wife did.  She said everyone, including the moderator, looked terrible.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2020, 10:01:45 AM »
https://babylonbee.com/news/chris-wallace-moderates-debate-while-wearing-giant-foam-finger-reading-biden-2020
Chris Wallace's Impartiality Questioned Due To His Giant Foam Finger Reading 'Biden 2020'

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2020, 10:03:17 AM »
On Twitter: 
One comment said Joe Rogan would have done a much better job moderating the debate.

Tim Pool put up a Twitter Poll:
Senile Crackpot Crony
vs
A-hole Loudbouth TV Star

:lol:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2020, 10:18:54 AM »
I didn't watch a second of the debate.

I knew how it was going to play out, and given what I'm reading on a lot of sites, I was spot on. I don't think the debate is going to change anyone's mind, and given what I'm reading, I'm not sure it's going to do much to change the minds of anyone in the roughly 13% who's currently undecided.

The debate I will probably watch, and which I think will offer a lot more, is the vice presidential debate on the 7th.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2020, 10:36:03 AM »
It would have been improved if Wallace had just moved his desk over beside Biden's podium.  Wallace spent more time "debating" Trump than Biden did.
I was really impressed when Biden mentioned his late son had won the Conspicuous Service Medal.  I had no idea he had served in the Australian military.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2020, 10:45:33 AM »
A succinct synopsis that I heard:

"Trump interrupted, Biden insulted." From the parts that I saw, that seemed pretty accurate. Not that Trump doesn't insult with some of the (admittedly funny to me) names he comes up with for rivals, but he seemed to rein in those kind of comments during the debate.

I also saw people making a whole big deal about Melania not wearing a mask while Jill did. As if these people aren't tested all the time, and both women were only shown approaching their own husbands. Do a lot of married couples wear masks around each other? I just figured Melania wasn't a virtue signaling wimp. The mask is getting to be like a Prius.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2020, 10:58:14 AM »
Looks like some media goons believe Trump won. You can tell, because they called for canceling the remaining debates.

If you can stomach the Pence/Harris debate, you've much more robust ears than I. I cannot stand her voice, or inflection, or whatever it is about her that fills me with unholy rage. She just sounds supercilious and smug, I guess.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2020, 10:59:52 AM »
I cannot stand her voice, or inflection, or whatever it is about her that fills me with unholy rage. She just sounds supercilious and smug, I guess.

"Isn't it true that....ANSWER YES OR NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2020, 11:02:25 AM »
If you can stomach the Pence/Harris debate, you've much more robust ears than I. I cannot stand her voice, or inflection, or whatever it is about her that fills me with unholy rage. She just sounds supercilious and smug, I guess.
IT WAS A DEBATE! *cackle cackle cackle*

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2020, 11:28:24 AM »
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2020, 11:40:46 AM »
We should replace debates with trial by combat. No guns but clubs, knives, etc are allowed. May the odds forever be in your favor!

Like Kirk and Spock in the STAR TREK episode "Amok Time."   [popcorn] >:D  Works for me!!!!!
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2020, 11:46:18 AM »
Like Kirk and Spock in the STAR TREK episode "Amok Time."   [popcorn] >:D  Works for me!!!!!

I was thinking more Game of Thrones, but whatever floats your boat.

https://youtu.be/FWxRAxeamIA?t=107
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2020, 11:52:14 AM »
 =D =D

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2020, 11:54:30 AM »
Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho: five-time Ultimate Smackdown champion
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2020, 12:00:27 PM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2020, 12:33:25 PM »
I was thinking more Game of Thrones, but whatever floats your boat.

https://youtu.be/FWxRAxeamIA?t=107

Yeah.... it would look a lot more like this... if biden could move, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmk4Tl7PKAY
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2020, 12:39:46 PM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams