Author Topic: The Dinosaur Wall  (Read 13726 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: The Dinosaur Wall
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2013, 10:10:02 PM »
Ooh, ooh, what did I win!?!?!?!?!?

I hope it's a pony!!!

Nope! You win a velicoraptor! Just don't feed it after midnight zip!

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2013, 10:22:15 PM »
Christ told us not to judge

A myth, actually.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2013, 10:24:36 PM »
What makes one gospel cannonical, and another not, is groups of men got together and decided that yeah, this gospel supports their interpretation of their religious beliefs.

Also a myth.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2013, 10:25:22 PM »
' some if whom are more doctrinally correct.'

So, what... God comes down every Tuesday and passes judgement on which groups are correct and which are not?

Every group claims to go have the inside track on the path to religious truth. Who are you to pass judgement on them? What makes your particular version of religion truer than the rest?

Untwist your panties. I didn't say I knew who was naughty and nice, did I? Some versions of Christian doctrine hew more closely to the actual teachings of Christ. That's just the way it is, regardless of how you or I feel about it.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2013, 10:26:28 PM »
Well if they are myth's enlighten us.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2013, 11:45:39 PM »
Well if they are myth's enlighten us.

If you want to know what Jesus actually said about judging, read past the second word of the passage you cited. And read the rest of the Gospels. We've hashed this out a number of times on this forum, so there's no need for me to go at it again. Simply put, He just pointed out that you shouldn't judge anyone by a standard you weren't willing to meet, yourself.

As for the all the tin-foil-hattery about the canon being manipulated by sectarians (or Constantine  ;/ ), we've gone over that a hundred times, as well.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2013, 12:00:57 AM »
Two way street much? You came into the thread sure I was trashing your religious beliefs, ands apparently haven't moved away from that. Whatever.

1. I'm not a young earther so your bashing has nothing to do with my personal beliefs.
2. You were mocking certain legitimate religious beliefs in a thread not really related to religion or to them, I pointed that out. If that's all it takes to qualify in your mind as extreme offense etc I really have to question your myriad vitriolic rants over far smaller perceived slights. Cornbread anyone?
3. I never said anything about the legitimacy of your beliefs, merely pointed out that your characterization of yourself as a believer is inaccurate based on what you've said.

Let me demonstrate before the po-mo "you can't tell me what's really Christianity!" spiel. Someone says "I'm a Buddhist monk." You respond "Oh that's interesting! What exactly is it that Buddhists believe, I've never really chatted with one?" He says "Buddhists believe that there is one God in three Persons, the Father, Jesus the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Mankind was created perfect but fell into sin after being tempted by Satan, and Jesus had to be born and then sacrificed in our place to atone for the blood guilt of our sin."

That man isn't a Buddhist, he's a Christian calling himself a Buddhist for some weird reason. Similarly, it's not truthful to claim to be a believer in the Bible (ie a Christian) when you think the Bible is a bunch of fairy tales but you like the moral of the stories. Well, most of them anyway. That's somewhere between moralistic therapeutic deism and atheism that goes to church for the community. I'm not trying to argue you out of your beliefs, but there's a pretty clear directive to oppose it when folks claim to be representative of Christianity but espouse false teaching. Jude 1:3-16 is one of the clearest, 2 Timothy 4:1-2, 2 Corinthians 11:4, Galatians 1:7, 1 John 4:1-3, 2 Peter 2:1, Romans 16:17-18, Colossians 2:8 etc etc

I'm not attacking you or your beliefs, just asking that you don't claim to share mine when you in fact do not.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2013, 12:09:15 AM »

If you want to know what Jesus actually said about judging, read past the second word of the passage you cited. And read the rest of the Gospels. We've hashed this out a number of times on this forum, so there's no need for me to go at it again. Simply put, He just pointed out that you shouldn't judge anyone by a standard you weren't willing to meet, yourself.

As for the all the tin-foil-hattery about the canon being manipulated by sectarians (or Constantine  ;/ ), we've gone over that a hundred times, as well.

1 Peter 5:8

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2013, 12:14:54 AM »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2013, 12:16:33 AM »
Romans 14:17

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2013, 12:17:59 AM »
THE DINOSAURS ARE ANGRY!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2013, 12:21:44 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2013, 12:22:59 AM »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2013, 12:24:26 AM »

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2013, 12:26:12 AM »
1 Peter 5:8

8 Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

^^ Which would seem like a good reason to oppose false teaching (frequently described as demonic).

Romans 14:17

17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.

^^ Which (in context, gotta have context) is about how Jewish food laws are no longer in effect, but it's better to forgoe something that isn't per se sinful if it would harm your fellow brothers in Christ.

I'm confused by what point you're trying to make?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2013, 01:47:09 AM »
 [popcorn]

Dang I love these threads. Makes it so much easier to decide who gets to be in the tree fort.

=D =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2013, 07:39:34 AM »
Balog

The numerous years I spent in parochial schools, we would use bible passages to convey thought as messages, sort of like passing notes.

1 Peter 5:8 means I called fistful an adversary (non demonic)

Romans 14:17 is a verse that has been used to say, lets agree to disagree.

Read it however you want.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2013, 08:37:55 AM »
[popcorn]

Dang I love these threads. Makes it so much easier to decide who gets to be in the tree fort.

=D =D

Dinosaurs? Can dinosaurs be in the fort?

RAWRR!

Dinosaurs!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #93 on: October 25, 2013, 08:43:17 AM »
Just the little ones and no velociraptors.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2013, 10:31:44 AM »

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2013, 10:50:43 AM »
[popcorn]

=D =D

Live with a man for forty years.  Then start to discuss religion, and you will learn who he really is.
- Shun You
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2013, 12:42:48 PM »
Although the Apocrypha are considered verboten to us Wisconsin Synod Lutherans, I still managed to get my hands on a version of the Bible that had them as Inter-Testamental books.

I made the mistake of showing this trophy to my theology professor, whose face turned a vivid shade of red.  That alone was worth it!   =D

(I'm the only one in my graduating class who is not a Lutheran pastor, makes for awkward reunions but hey!)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2013, 03:20:28 PM »
Balog

The numerous years I spent in parochial schools, we would use bible passages to convey thought as messages, sort of like passing notes.

1 Peter 5:8 means I called fistful an adversary (non demonic)

Romans 14:17 is a verse that has been used to say, lets agree to disagree.

Read it however you want.
I am curious how the Romans passage is used for that.  Interesting.  To me it points out that being a Christian has nothing to do with any actions you might take, but with state of mind and mental attitude.  The Jewish law had become so ironclad and detailed that following the law outwardly was more important than actually believing in the one true God. 

But don't know that verse or Romans well enough to say. 
β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2013, 06:13:41 PM »
I am curious how the Romans passage is used for that.  Interesting.  To me it points out that being a Christian has nothing to do with any actions you might take, but with state of mind and mental attitude.  The Jewish law had become so ironclad and detailed that following the law outwardly was more important than actually believing in the one true God. 

But don't know that verse or Romans well enough to say. 

Basically bickering over what laws is Christian canon/rite/etc is not what Christianity is but we agree that Christianity is about belief in Christ and the good things associated living Christ like.

So in a nutshell, we are arguing over the petty details but we know the bigger picture of being a Christian.

In school we used as saying we agree to disagree. In school using bible passages was like our code to communicate and learn scripture at the same time.

Uranus is a gas giant.