Author Topic: GOP 2012 ticket prediction  (Read 48032 times)

longeyes

• friend
Re: GOP 2012 ticket prediction
« Reply #150 on: May 28, 2011, 11:10:36 AM »
Is there even ONE candidate who can be relied upon not to cave on illegal immigration?  One?  I'm having serious doubts.  And that's why I don't think this issue is really going to be solved by political means.  When politicians permit no honest and frank debate things of serious moment devolve.  Instead of dealing with the border we have continuing chatter about the DREAM Act (and chatter is that largely misrepresentation of what it would mean with its huge family-reunification multiplier effect).  I'm bringing this up because several of the great conservative hopes--including Christie, maybe even Perry and Palin--refuse to take hard positions on this.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #151 on: May 28, 2011, 01:00:23 PM »
So what's the scuttlebutt on Rick Perry? I like that he CCWs (I believe we had a thread on the coyote incident) and he seems to be good for the TX economy, but otherwise I don't know much about him.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/05/27/perrys-path-gop-nomination-clearest/

Governor Goodhair has his screw-ups, flip-flops, and the like:
* TTC
* HPV vaccine
* Illegal immigration squish

On all those issues, he has been "born again hard" like ol' Private Pyle, and is supposedly on the side of the angels.

But, the simple fact is that he has been governor for 10+ years while keeping a lid (mostly) on regulation & taxes to the point where Texas is in better shape than 48 or so of the either states.  Texas has produced more jobs than the rest of the nation combined the last few years.  Perry is on the brink of helping to push through more real, no-bull, "less-spending than before" budget cuts to the Texas state gov't budget than Congress has to the Federal budget.  These include cuts to education and welfare programs.

I don't like the man personally, but I'll give him his due.  He knows enough to get the eff outta th eway of folks who make good things happen and is a charismatic guy.  A Perry/Jindal ticket might be just what the doctor ordered.

Oh, Perry is great on RKBA...and hard on coyotes.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #152 on: May 28, 2011, 05:04:53 PM »
longeyes, non-Democrat candidates cannot address the illegal immigration issue without being cast as racist.  That's why they tend to side-step or ignore the issue.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #153 on: May 29, 2011, 07:36:08 AM »
So what's the scuttlebutt on Rick Perry? I like that he CCWs (I believe we had a thread on the coyote incident) and he seems to be good for the TX economy, but otherwise I don't know much about him.

We may do like we did with Bush; send Perry off to DC so we can get the TSA's new pet Dewhurst out of the LtGov power seat and into the figurehead spot.  That's how we got rid of LtGov Perry, after all, so he knows the tactic well.

SteveT

« Reply #154 on: June 01, 2011, 12:20:08 AM »
There's going to be two candidates who will get attention at the beginning of the primaries:  The one who wins Iowa and the one who wins N.H.   Romney's almost a lock for the 2nd one, and right now Patawley is for the 1st.   This is unless Bachman or Palin jump in.

Press and Money will flow to those 2 candidates and away from everyone else.   

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #155 on: June 01, 2011, 02:12:50 AM »
longeyes, non-Democrat candidates cannot address the illegal immigration issue without being cast as racist.  That's why they tend to side-step or ignore the issue.

Understand.  One thought I've had recently on this topic is this: the ONLY justification for immigration, both legal and illegal, is economic growth.  If the GOP is going to entertain any thoughts of "compromise" on immigration it ought to be coupled with serious demands for huge concessions on growth incentives, including, of course, lower taxes on income, investments, and estates.  Unless that occurs, any laxity on immigration period makes zero sense.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

SteveT

« Reply #156 on: June 13, 2011, 09:34:19 PM »
Bachman is in now.  The candidates on the stage tonight in NH are what we've got probably (with the exception of Huntsman)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #157 on: June 14, 2011, 12:17:40 AM »
Bachman is in now.  The candidates on the stage tonight in NH are what we've got probably (with the exception of Huntsman)

Neither Perry nor Palin were on the stage. At least one of them will be in the running.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #158 on: June 14, 2011, 07:51:11 AM »
Neither Perry nor Palin were on the stage. At least one of them will be in the running.

...and, if you kept up with the last governor's election, you'll never see Perry on a debate stage....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #159 on: June 14, 2011, 08:33:10 AM »
Herman Cain just lost my vote. They asked him thin crust or deep dish. He chose wrong. I mean, deep dish? What next, Canadian bacon?  :facepalm:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #160 on: June 14, 2011, 08:38:40 AM »
...and, if you kept up with the last governor's election, you'll never see Perry on a debate stage....  ;/

Well, as I'm not a Texan, it's unlikely I'd keep up with the Texas governor's race. ;)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #161 on: June 14, 2011, 10:34:07 AM »
Herman Cain just lost my vote. They asked him thin crust or deep dish. He chose wrong. I mean, deep dish? What next, Canadian bacon?  :facepalm:

Well, I hear there are even some people who put pineapple on their pizza pie. As long as he doesn't cross that line I think I can forgive him this one fallacy.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #162 on: June 14, 2011, 05:12:01 PM »
Ham, pineapple, and onion is not half bad.....
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #163 on: June 14, 2011, 05:38:30 PM »
Ham, pineapple, and onion is not half bad.....

*hisssssssssssss*

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #164 on: June 14, 2011, 06:13:12 PM »
Well, I hear there are even some people who put pineapple on their pizza pie. As long as he doesn't cross that line I think I can forgive him this one fallacy.

There are also people who call their pizza a 'pizza pie'. These same people also think that pizza should have thin crust.

I'm sorry, it's not a pie and it needs to be thick and covered with massive amounts of toppings.

I saw a place in DC that advertised itself as "Chicago Pizza!" and when I walked in and say trays of thin crust, single topping pizzas, I just turned right around and walked back out.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #165 on: June 14, 2011, 06:25:28 PM »
The best pizza I've ever had in my life was at John's Pizzeria in New York. Was there for Fleet Week 2004, my liberty buddy and I were treated to the place by an outstanding local lady.

I'd almost go back to NYC just for their pizza.... almost.  :lol:

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #166 on: June 14, 2011, 06:54:22 PM »
Quote from: kgbsquirrel
The best pizza I've ever had in my life was at John's Pizzeria in New York. Was there for Fleet Week 2004, my liberty buddy and I were treated to the place by an outstanding local lady.

I'd almost go back to NYC just for their pizza.... almost.  :lol:
Pffft

Best pizza pie is across the bridge is Jersey  :P
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #167 on: June 14, 2011, 06:59:57 PM »
A lot of restaurants will even serve "pizza" without a single pepperoni in sight. For some reason, these places are never shut down by the authorities. It is most frustrating.

There are also people who call their pizza a 'pizza pie'. These same people also think that pizza should have thin crust.

If there is such a connection, which I doubt, it ought to work the other way. A fruit pie is usually thicker than the deep dish monstrosities you call pizzas.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #168 on: June 14, 2011, 07:37:27 PM »

He's half Sicilian, that's why.  How do you think he got to be CEO of Godfather pizza? =D
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #169 on: June 14, 2011, 09:39:31 PM »
He's half Sicilian, that's why.  How do you think he got to be CEO of Godfather pizza? =D

I'd bet that Cain could make us a pizza we can't refuse.....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #170 on: June 14, 2011, 10:04:12 PM »
If there is such a connection, which I doubt, it ought to work the other way. A fruit pie is usually thicker than the deep dish monstrosities you call pizzas.

It ought to work that way. A real pizza is actually THICKER than a fruit pie. Yet those adherents of the New York heresy think pizza is thin and a "pie".

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #171 on: June 15, 2011, 12:25:22 AM »
You think New York pizza is thin? Then you ain't seen St. Louis pizza. Cracker-thin. St. Louis-style also means provolone cheese, but I prefer mozzarella. Sometimes, olive oil with garlic is nice, instead of tomato sauce.

People don't call them pies, here. That may be a New York thing. It has nothing to do with thickness, though. It's just because pizza are pie-shaped.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #172 on: June 15, 2011, 01:24:46 AM »
St. Louis-style

Stone the heretic.

It's fistful's fault.

There is no such thing.

[popcorn]
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #173 on: June 15, 2011, 01:31:24 AM »

No need.  He was running against an anthropomorphic turnip with delusions of adequacy.

He also didn't meet with a single newspaper editorial board, because he knew they are all lefties anyways.

He has debated in past elections, though.  

A Georgian (the one in the former USSR) opened a pizza place nearby.  I tried to order a pineapple and ham pizza for my wife.  The thickly accented reply was, "We only make Italian pizza."  No further discussion of pineapple or other adulterants was entertained.

Dude would take your order and then alter it to HIS requirements as he saw fit.  Thing was, he made the best traditional pizza I ever ate; so I learned to order, eat whatever he brought out, STFU, and revel in the best damn pizza I ever ate. 

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #174 on: June 15, 2011, 01:46:32 AM »
... I learned to order, eat whatever he brought out, STFU, and revel in the best damn pizza I ever ate. 

Pizza Nazi?  (No, that's NOT a thread Godwin in this instance!)

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.