Author Topic: Underwear "etiquette"?  (Read 19188 times)

member1313

Underwear "etiquette"?
« on: December 10, 2007, 07:13:29 PM »
I feel awkward asking this, but I can't be alone on this.

First, I never really got the point to underwear. It just seems like another layer of clothing. Is it a hygiene issue?

Second, is it appropriate, or not appropriate to wear certain types of underwear in certain situations? I've heard people argue over whether or not undershirts should be worn under button-downs, polos, or other t-shirts.

And lastly, what are your preferences?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Underwear "etiquette"?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 07:34:55 PM »
First, I never really got the point to underwear. It just seems like another layer of clothing. Is it a hygiene issue?

Second, is it appropriate, or not appropriate to wear certain types of underwear in certain situations? I've heard people argue over whether or not undershirts should be worn under button-downs, polos, or other t-shirts.

And lastly, what are your preferences?

Now, the boxers or briefs- they are absolutely necessary. I'd prefer that you don't go commando- I don't.

Now, T-shirt/undershirts- I always wear one under a dress or uniform shirt. Helps prevent stains (I sweat a good bit) and keeps the shirt protected. Regular old T-shirt or golf/polo/whatever, I usually won't wear an undershirt, unless I am in going to be in a situation in which I need to look neat- i.e. informal interview, etc. I hate wearing golf/polo shirts, and prefer a grey T-shirt above all else. The grey T-shirt doesn't show dirt and dog hair like a white or dark blue/black shirt will.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

member1313

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 07:41:52 PM »
One thing I get confused about is the difference between a "t-shirt" and an "undershirt." For example if you go to the underwear section of a store, Hanes and similar companies sell packs of "t-shirts," which are a much lighter and thinner material than what I normally imagine a "t-shirt" as. Are the lighter-weight t-shirts meant to be undershirts, whereas the "normal" weight t-shirts are meant to be the top layer or whatever?

The only thing I hate is how an undershirt looks "wrong" with briefs or boxer-briefs. You've got a loose shirt on top and tight bottoms. Just looks...odd. An undershirt looks right with boxers, though (and from what I understand, the majority of women prefer that look anyhow).

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 08:34:27 PM »
Boxers.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 08:39:31 PM »
Underpants.  I wear 'em.  But I've never understood why people freak out if ya don't wear 'em.  How could it affect them? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 08:52:39 PM »
Most "underwear" shirts (and booty-warmers) are probably 4 oz material, if that... Whereas most t-shirts range between 5.5 oz and 6.1 oz in material weight (I think it's per square yard or somesuch. Anywho, I prefer to use the 6.1, simply because if feels more substantial and lasts a great deal longer.

Blog under construction

member1313

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 03:24:30 AM »
Wait, so you use a regular t-shirt as an undershirt? Or are you saying you find the heavier material for underwear in general?

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 03:33:10 AM »
I wear undershirts with t-shirts.  I usually wear my undershirts a bit small too.  Helps keep the pits of your shirt sweat stain free.  Sometimes I'll wear a regular t-shirt as an undershirt with a sweater or something like that.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Len Budney

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 03:38:50 AM »
Underpants.  I wear 'em.  But I've never understood why people freak out if ya don't wear 'em.  How could it affect them? 

It conjures up a vivid image of catching one's junk in one's zipper, which is almost as painful to imagine as to experience.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 03:47:51 AM »
An old friend used to call his tighty whiteys "filters". I'll let you decide why, cause honestly, I never did figure it out.  laugh

I went commando for a long time in the younger days. If nothing else experience has taught me that a little something to help keep Mr Happy out of the zipper is a good thing.   shocked  shocked  shocked

grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 03:58:34 AM »
I always wear a nice soft pair of boxers.  I've never tried going without underwear, but I imagine there'd be uncomfortable chafing issues from the seams of my pants.

Also, on those rare occasions when I forget to zip up and somebody notices, I'm glad to have the boxers covering Mr. Happy as a last line of defense.   grin

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 04:23:24 AM »
Why do they call them T shirts?  What is that mystical T anyway? 

I have a variety of t shirts.  Some are round and some V necked in cotton.  I have cotton wife beaters and silk V necks.  I enjoy a variety of colors across the spectrum of muted shades for all of them.  I don't ever wear undershirts beneath short sleeved golf type shirts or under another T shirt.  What type I wear under long sleeved shirts or pullover long sleeve shirts or sweaters depend on my mood or what I'm going to or doing.  Generally I only wear them in when the weather is chilly or cold.

I like to wear T shirts with stuff on the front or back, say like one that says Sloppy Joe's or an athletic team etc etc.  Sometimes I wear shirts like that under unbuttoned cotton long sleeve shirts that I wear untucked. (I'm usually carrying)  Again, when the weather is chilly or cold or I need to cover up whatever pistol I'm carrying.

As for under pants, I like boxers, usually silk or another soft man made material.  I don't like the hard finish cotton boxers and I hate whiteytighties.

When I wear shorts in the summer I have a selection of boxer briefs in the same material.  They tend to be a bit more snug in the leg in order to not let certain items have the opportunity to scan the surrounding area while sitting down. shocked  All of my undies are in many colors and many patterns.

This is a weird thread.  laugh  You gotta love APS, no?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 05:00:01 AM »
I own pretty much every type of undershirt/pants with only a couple exceptions (bikini, t-back, tighty whiteys & the like).

What I wear/if I wear is dependent on the circumstances.  For example, if it is hot out and I am to be in the heat any length of time, I go commando.  You would, too, if you have ever gotten heat rash 'tween your nethers.  If it is cold out, I don boxer briefs or boxers. 

I almost always wear an undershirt.  It actually ends up cooler, if it is directly against your skin to soak up sweat than a polo/T/button down by itself.  Also, a wife-beater under a thick, dark T-shirt allows one to CCW IWB with comfort.

IMO, socks and an undershirt are much more important to comfort than underpants.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

member1313

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 07:30:40 AM »
Why does a wife beater (a-shirt?) help with CCW? So it isn't rubbing your skin all day? Tongue

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 09:04:31 AM »
I wear an undershirt every work day under my dress shirt, and other times when I am carrying in an IWB holster.  It keeps the handgun from rusting out due to sweat and is more comfortable on my skin.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Paddy

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 09:54:51 AM »
Here's one piece of underwear etiquette:  If your underwear (along with the seat of your pants) gets sucked up between your buttcheeks, please remove same.  The rest of us don't need to see that.

Thanks.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 10:03:41 AM »
I wear a V neck shirt/ undershirt year round.  In the summer, I sweat like a pig, and it absobs moisture, and keeps my outer shirt from having copious sweat marks.

In the winter I use it keep me warmer.

Underwear, I was commando during college, because I could be.  The Wifey (then girlfriend), er, noticed one day and quashed that.

She did it in typical cute, sweet female fashion.  "I bought you a present".

How could I say no?

It's been down hill ever since.....

Oh, and Mr. Happy hitting a cold zipper.....that'll wake you up in the morning.

Reminds me of the young lady in college....nope, wrong forum....
One day at a time.

member1313

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 10:37:36 AM »
It seems like most of the responses confirm my initial thoughts.

Oh, and just so everyone knows:

Ex-MA Hole invited me here, so anything and everything I do or say is directly his fault. Smiley

/waves to Ex-MA Hole Cheesy

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 10:41:58 AM »
You kidding me?

I don't even accept accountability for MY actions, never mind YOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and welcome.

M
One day at a time.

member1313

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 10:50:29 AM »
Muahahaha

How are those cows?

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 10:51:14 AM »
It's the sheep.

And they lie.
One day at a time.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 11:22:26 AM »
Riley,

My wife and I, when observing the so called "up sucked" look, usually poke the other, point and say, "Is your hiney hungry?"   cheesy grin

How in the name of anything that is sacred can a person not know his/her pants are 3 inches up the "Plumber's Crack"?   shocked
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 11:56:17 AM »
a t shirt is (for me) neccessary for ccw.

and always wear clean undies in case you get into a wreck, I thanked God I had showered and had clean undies on so I could flirt with the hospital gals when I wrecked last month.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 11:58:49 AM »
oh, and those (expletive deleted) with saggy pants around their knees and their underwear
showing look like clowns, why do they think they are somehow menacing?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

member1313

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2007, 12:19:39 PM »
Gunsmith, can you explain why you need a t-shirt when you carry concealed? (I don't carry yet, so I have no idea what you mean?)

(And do you mean you need an undershirt or an actual t-shirt? Some people use those terms interchangeably so I wanted to double-check.)