Author Topic: "Mr. & Mrs. America, turn them all in."  (Read 25764 times)

Don't care

"Mr. & Mrs. America, turn them all in."
« on: November 05, 2008, 06:23:23 AM »
Remember the quote fragment? Actually, the full quotation is:

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them, Mr. and Mrs. America, turn them all in, I would have done it." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), 1994.

It didn't pass in 1994, but here's the rub: The problems facing Feinstein to pass such a law back then, no longer exist.

The Democrats already are in charge of Congress, as well as picking up more seats last night, and will control the White House in January.

Look for the once Pro-gun Senator Harry Reid (D-NV) and Speaker of the House, Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), push through a piece of anti-gun legislation that President Barack "I believe in the second amendment, but Washington D.C.'s gun law is constitutional" Obama will be obligated sign.

This will happen, if not for something that Obama's popularity could just possibly accomplish right now: “The second article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby repealed.”

Hold onto your seats people. It's going to be a rough.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: "Mr. & Mrs. America, turn them all in."
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 07:40:46 AM »
Bah,

They are still smarting from the backlash from previous attempts

Brady & VPC were non players in this election
and Russia seems to be pushing a rather serious agenda.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 08:35:27 AM »
I don't think Russia has much to do with it. Barack will negotiate, use diplomacy.

God, I hope I'm wrong about this man. About the only good thing I can say is that my little Democratic state once again went Republican.

Stay safe.
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 09:16:45 AM »
There are a lot of Dems that realize that the gun issue would lose them their job.  So I don't think there is 51 votes in the Senate to bring about another AWB, plus the Dems didn't get to the magic number of 60.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

gregormeister

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 09:24:06 AM »
Who is this Obama? Oh the guy that replaced Bush!! I can't make myself call him Pres...Pr...Presi...nope can't do it.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 09:27:28 AM »
I no longer own any firearms.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 09:30:18 AM »

What!? Why would I own those evil things!

No, those are replicas. You know, so I can see what they look like from Call of Duty?

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 09:30:21 AM »

You'll need to get rid of that one in your avatar before the Department of Hope brings you in for a psych evaluation for displaying such violent tendencies.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 09:40:53 AM »
I think you're wrong, Don't Care.

We've got Heller protecting something like that.  We've got state Constitutions protecting something like that.

I also think the Dems would suffer horrendous voter backlash if they went down the trail of liberal pipedreams full of weaponless utopias and monolithic health care.

We've got major market issues right now that need fixing.  Voters (for whatever reason) got rid of the Stupid Party since they refused to act on the issues.  Now, the other Stupid Party gets to try, for better or worse.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 09:47:10 AM »
Reid and Pelosi not withstanding, I think many Democrats remember Bill Clinton's admission that the '94 ban cost the Democrats the control of congress.

How that we have many more owners of Evil Black Rifles, the backlash would be even more severe.

That's not to say they won't try a full frontal assault, though.

God, I am really depressed about the elections. Even moving to the south won't help.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 09:48:48 AM »
Heller? Heller will be reversed as soon as Obama appoints hardcore liberals to the court, which he definitely will.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 09:49:03 AM »
I'm afriad President-elect Obama is going to be a bit busy.  As Biden said, someone is going to test him early, on the international stage. Perhaps Bin Laden.  They will push, like many bullies do, to look for a reaction.  At the same time, the market is still volatile, the housing market still in shambles, and there are great concerns about the credit card situation.  Add to that the promises he made about health care and such, and his plate is full.  Anyone on that side of teh aisle who decides to suddenly add an issue on the plate, like a gun ban, is probably going to get a visit from the Whip in short order.

And, with Heller still fresh on the books, a complete ban is going to be difficult to push through.  Kind of hard to call a complete ban reasonable.  If anything, we'll see another attempt at an AWB, mag cap limits, and other "non-Heller" issues.  They'll push the envelope, to see how far it can go.

But, what we need to keep in mind is this...2 years.  Obama has two years to prove himself and his goals and policies, or the make-up of the house can, and likely will, swing back the other way.  Not a lot of time to waste on something like gun control.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 09:50:27 AM »
Heller? Heller will be reversed as soon as Obama appoints hardcore liberals to the court, which he definitely will.

Nice thing about the Supreme Court is that the justices have lifetime appointments.  Unless someone starts assassinating justices, it may be a while before there's an opening to fill...  Scalia wont retire with Obama at the helm.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

ctdonath

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 09:52:23 AM »
"They have made their decision, now let them enforce it."
Now reading: The Unthinkable, The Age of Innocence
Recently read: 1491

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 10:04:48 AM »
Nice thing about the Supreme Court is that the justices have lifetime appointments.  Unless someone starts assassinating justices, it may be a while before there's an opening to fill...  Scalia wont retire with Obama at the helm.

Not only that, but they can't just order the SC to reverse a ruling.  Someone who can claim real damages has to bring the case to the SC.

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 10:06:48 AM »
Not only that, but they can't just order the SC to reverse a ruling.  Someone who can claim real damages has to bring the case to the SC.

Chris

Ah, but they can "clarify" it. And someone whose "good boy turning their life around" was shot by a fellow gangsta with a WASR will certainly "bring the necessity of an AWB" to the court, I think.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 10:22:53 AM »
You still need a case to go through the process.  You need someone to start an action from the beginning and chase it all the way to teh Supreme Court.  that can take a decade, it started in a local state court.  One thing about the process is that it does take time.  Can't just run to DC and file a lawsuit with SCOTUS.

Asking for clarification?  Haven't heard of that one...  I'll look into it.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 10:28:58 AM »
Who is this Obama? Oh the guy that replaced Bush!! I can't make myself call him Pres...Pr...Presi...nope can't do it.

You know we have heard the word "Shrub" and its Bush's fault for the last 8 years.

I'm going to start by blaming Barry for everything wrong in my life. Maybe if we say enough people will see it as truth.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 10:43:01 AM »
Wow.

There are some TRULY "gracious" winners here at the office today.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 10:43:41 AM »
Wow.

In this I am fortunate.

I don't have to work with people like that. :)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 10:45:05 AM »
Wow.

Hopefully they'll be so "gracious" in the face of someone who will be responsible for their promotion, or their rounding-off in the coming economic mess.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 10:59:14 AM »
The reason we didn't hear much from Brady/VPC in this campaign is that they didn't need to spend any money on publicity.

They Didn't Need To.

Why?

The gun community essentially negated itself as a power voting block. Enough people voted on the Hate Bush side, enough people drank the Paul Juice, and enough people wigged out in general.

We were fragmented. Some of it was done to us, but they didn't need a whole lot of help. We did it to ourselves. I wonder how many geniuses were still voting for Fred Thompson, instead of against Obama.

Well, you've got your wish.

They can pass the laws. And they think they've got the next election tied up too - because people Hate The Bush, and everything, even for Obama's first two years, is going to be Bush's fault... "This moderate approach didn't unscrew Bush's doings, so we're going to nationalize this industry." We're going to see that.

Remember: The first six years, the Republican stuff worked. Then we got a bunch of democrats in, and suddenly things start going south. Obama's "give anyone a loan" policies started to have repercussions. But that's not the dems' fault... No sir...

Reeducation? Come get me. I'm the country.

Blog under construction

Smark

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 11:12:50 AM »
Wow.

I ended up choosing to leave the office rather than actually speak my mind. My department head actually requested we refrain from talking about politics but I seem to be the only one who complies with that request. =\

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 11:27:12 AM »
Speaking for Montana, our two D senators know they would be toast if they went along with anything like that.  I'm less pessimistic about the gun issue because of that.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 11:31:58 AM »
One of my coworkers, a Brit ex-pat and naturalized citizen, is absolutely shocked that the stock market isn't skyrocketing today in response to Obamamania. Stupid cow apparently actually believes that the only problem with the markets is the fact that the Republicans are in power, and once they're out things will right themselves quickly and on their own just because the Democrats are in power.

It's going to be a LOT of fun watching her brain melt over the next couple of months.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.