Author Topic: Illegal to "Kill" Robots?  (Read 30146 times)

myrockfight

Illegal to "Kill" Robots?
« on: December 14, 2008, 02:56:08 AM »
I was watching a show on the History Channel (maybe Discovery) about robots, artificial intelligence (AI) and the like. They show covered the history of, what is available now, and what the near/far future holds. They had various scientists and tinkerers on talking about their contraptions of varying degrees of intelligence/automation.

Then the show started focusing on artificial intelligence and the advances we were making in that particular area. One of the scientists said that eventually robots will be able to "think" for themselves and operate completely autonomously. Meaning they wouldn't need us for anything. Then the scientist started talking about how it will be illegal to shut-down a robot, as it would be the equivolent of killing a human being because it operates independently, etc.

They also talked about how quickly the field is advancing and that they will soon know how to program AI to operate in a self-serving way. Number one priority being to protect itself, of course. This got me to thinking about "I Robot", "The Terminator", and the like.

I almost fell out of my chair after this scientist stated how he was going to push for robot rights, etc. He said that they will be almost just like humans in many ways. Then they started to get into the whole, "Is it a living thing," issue. If something can "think" for itself, it must be alive, etc.

I couldn't believe there were people espousing that drivel. Then I got to thinking that the premise of many movies could actually come to fruition. There will definitely be technology available to make it happen in the near future. They will produce the robots and they will probably try to put legislation through that they are our equals. The broken hearted liberals would chastise anyone who would not agree with them and the public would largely be ignored/made irrelavent, much like we are today concerning various issues. (Wait 'til the global warming crap really gets off the ground. Then we will see some absurd *expletive deleted*it.

If the time came that I couldn't permanently pull the batteries out of my latest toy, I believe it would be my time to punch my ticket, say my goodbyes, and completely remove myself from the grid. Move to some far away land, very likely another country, so far out in the boonies that no person or robot would ever know that I even existed.

Or maybe I am being too melodramatic? What do y'all think about it?

dogmush

• friend
Re: Illegal to "Kill" Robots?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 03:10:15 AM »
This can only end one way.

Haven't these people ever seen Battlestar Galactica?

I mean really.  Frak!

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 03:28:20 AM »
Interesting dilemma that has been well covered by science fiction.

The best way to avoid the whole dilemma is to just not do it.  I've seen enough scifi growing up that AI's would scare the poo out of me.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 05:17:26 AM »
Interesting dilemma that has been well covered by science fiction.

The best way to avoid the whole dilemma is to just not do it.  I've seen enough scifi growing up that AI's would scare the poo out of me.

[on Dave's return to the ship, after HAL has killed the rest of the crew]
HAL: Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 06:04:41 AM »
  I've seen enough scifi growing up that AI's would scare the poo out of me.

I think an anti-constipation robot would be quite helpful.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 07:19:54 AM »
Well, technology will eventually get there, no sense in burying your head in the sand about the issue.  I'm always interested in how much interaction will occur between this type of technology and actual humans.  Supposing technology gets to the point where it can clone a human brain, including thought process, memories, and feelings?

Supposing  you then take a volunteer, or yourself, and duplicate your brain into something that can communicate, and turn it on.  That device's first thought would be one of "Oh *expletive deleted*it, I did this thing and now I'm trapped in a machine!"
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 07:41:53 AM »
Well... I mean. If you were stupid enough to build a sapient robot, you have a problem.

Either the robot is sapient and it has the various rights due a sapient being, including the right to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. Including the right to walk away from the experiment;

Or you're a disgusting slaveowner.

If it's NOT a sapient robot, then it's just a thing, and there's no problem with killing it.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 08:46:07 AM »
Is Commander Data a person, with the right to choose, or is he a toaster, the property of Star Fleet?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 10:52:40 AM »
Toaster. 

I can't believe there are people espousing this drivel. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 10:53:47 AM »
Toaster. 

Which is interesting - do you believe we can never create sapient beings?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 11:03:02 AM »
It is a BAD, BAD, BAD idea to even think about giving robots "rights".

That's scary that the nutcase on the show was going on about fighting for robots to have rights. Wait till the leftists get ahold of this cause- we'll have robots on welfare...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 11:04:24 AM »
It is a BAD, BAD, BAD idea to even think about giving robots "rights".

I hear a lot of people saying this on this thread.

Can any of you explain?

I mean, obviously giving a toaster rights is insane. But if we can, in some remote future, construct an actually sapient machine, then we will have to recognize its rights.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 11:04:46 AM »
I would predict that there will be ethical concerns long before these are a reality.  For example- do they manufacture 'Aryan wunderkind' models only, or are they programmed to have physical flaws, and to understand concepts of race, gender, sexuality, yadda, yadda?  
I agree, better not to go there.  This needs to stop after sexbots are perfected.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 11:07:01 AM »
Five words for you: explosively pumped flux compression generator.  =D
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 11:08:01 AM »
I don't know about you guys, but when I get old and they come out with an affordable robotic woman, I'm getting one. I don't like doing housework. =D

The issue comes down to what we believe makes humans special, and that may never be proven scientifically, and therefore may never be acknowledged by law.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 11:10:25 AM »
Is a being that can think for itself any more special because it is made of flesh instead of metal? If it is a thinking sapient being why does its construction matter?
Look, tiny text!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 11:27:10 AM »
But if we can, in some remote future, construct an actually sapient machine, then we will have to recognize its rights.

The interesting assumption there, is that rights are derived from "sapience," however that is defined.  I don't know why you assume that.  One wonders what your attitude would be toward humans that don't meet this threshold of "sapience." 

I suppose we might build a "sapient" machine, but rights relate to humans, not "sapients."  If we were to meet some other "sapient" race, I suppose we might deem them to have rights as well, but that is not to be automatically assumed. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 11:32:45 AM »
The interesting assumption there, is that rights are derived from "sapience," however that is defined.  I don't know why you assume that.  One wonders what your attitude would be toward humans that don't meet this threshold of "sapience."

Even if I ignore your point altogether (and let me remind you that in modern societies we do not allow the mentally incapacitated, or children to have the same rights as adult human. In fact, a given teenager may be far more mature than his 40-year-old uncle, but the uncle enjoys the full rights of a citizen and the teenager does not), one would argue that if a being were to have the mental qualities of a human being, it would be highly bizarre, not to mention immoral, not to grant it the same rights.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 11:33:54 AM »
I believe that an artificial intelligence on the same level as humans has rights. That's why I think we have to be very careful about making the damn things in the first place.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

PTK

• friends
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 11:36:33 AM »
I believe that an artificial intelligence on the same level as humans has rights.

I disagree with your belief.

Seriously, has NO ONE watched Dr. Who? CYBERMEN! HELLO?  :lol:

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 11:38:52 AM »
LMAO at Cybermen.  =D I was never scared of them, but the 'Sea-Devils' absolutely petrified me.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 11:41:49 AM »
How can anybody fear anything appearing on Dr. Who?

PTK

• friends
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 11:44:30 AM »
Wait, do Daleks count as alive or as machines? I mean, they're MAINLY machine with a drop of living goo inside....

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2008, 11:47:19 AM »
Wait, do Daleks count as alive or as machines? I mean, they're MAINLY machine with a drop of living goo inside....
Hmm. I like to think of them as boogers in tin cans.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2008, 11:48:13 AM »
Hmm. I like to think of them as boogers in tin cans.

I call them the assault-vacuum-cleaners.