Author Topic: Chinese High-Rise Topples Over  (Read 16387 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Chinese High-Rise Topples Over
« on: June 29, 2009, 11:57:59 AM »
Hmm. Solid construction of the frame, not so solid foundation:

------------------

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/5661549/Block-of-flats-collapses-in-China.html

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Chinese High-Rise Topples Over
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 12:00:21 PM »
Oh great...

A bunch of wookie'tards are going to take one look at that picture and start screaming about how it's PROOF that September 11 didn't happen the way the Gov't says it did and this is PROOF that the buildings were blown by charges installed by the Build-A-Burgers.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 12:05:46 PM »
Epic Fail!
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 12:10:49 PM »
It is just a trick of perspective that the three standing structures don't seem plumb?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 12:19:34 PM »
Looks like it was taken with a wide angle lens because their rounding on both sides of the frame.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 12:32:50 PM »
Does it look to anyone else like they just built that entire building on top of topsoil...  :O
I promise not to duck.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 12:35:15 PM »
Yes.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 12:36:08 PM »
ge, it looks like theres a levee & a canal right next door

I imagine the soil profile is rather saturated
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 12:41:56 PM »
I imagine the soil profile is rather saturated

Probably saturated with urine from the unluckies who rode it down.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 01:17:45 PM »
Luckily it was being built (finishing touches) at the time, so it was just the one construction worker.

If it had been full of families I wouldn't be able to laugh, but in this case, and as it just seems so absurd, I will laugh.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 02:19:52 PM »
Luckily it was being built (finishing touches) at the time, so it was just the one construction worker.

If it had been full of families I wouldn't be able to laugh, but in this case, and as it just seems so absurd, I will laugh.

Yeah, indeed.

I was worried that it was potentially filled past it's rated capacity of 24,000 people + livestock.
I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 02:34:05 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 03:21:10 PM »
If the exposed piers were all the foundation it had, no wonder it went plop.  If the rest of them are the same, might as well dynamite the rest of them now as the first stiff breeze is going to wreak havoc.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 03:33:06 PM »
Good enough for Wal Mart.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 04:24:24 PM »
Oh great...

A bunch of wookie'tards are going to take one look at that picture and start screaming about how it's PROOF that September 11 didn't happen the way the Gov't says it did and this is PROOF that the buildings were blown by charges installed by the Build-A-Burgers.

No, basic physics proved that one.  =D
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 04:30:08 PM »
Does it look to anyone else like they just built that entire building on top of topsoil...  :O

I'm not a construction genius...  But that looks like a hideously bad idea not to have any foundation, an especially hideously bad idea if the building is 11 stories high.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 04:43:03 PM »
They spent all their foundation money on making one hell of a solid building (yeah, so it bent a little).  What about the mud they piled four stories high next to the buildings?  Oh, I see, that's to cushion the buildings when they fall over.
For entertainment purposes only.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 04:52:23 PM »
it would have been more FAIL, if it toppled the other direction, breeched the levee, and flooded the other foundations
causing them to domino into each other

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 04:56:36 PM »
And Obama wants these people to bail us out?

*smacks head*
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 05:05:59 PM »
And Obama wants these people to bail us out?

At least he's not asking them to build us anything, their moneys still good.

Do they get partial credit considered the building fell down but stayed in one piece?  =D

Hell if you were really optimistic you can just reorientate all the major appliances (toliet, stoves) and still use it, instead of 11 stories high, now its just 11 stories long.  :lol:

OMG I just realized that elevator ride would be totally awesome if it still worked. In a willy wonka sort of way. . .

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 05:08:34 PM »
Maybe Obama will use some stimulus money there.  That place looks "shovel-ready"! :laugh:
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 05:10:33 PM »

You know, it's very interesting that they left enough room between the buildings for this one to fall over.

The whole purpose to building "up" rather than "out" is because there isn't enough room to go out anymore.  I would have expected a domino-style collapse of the entire row, actually.  
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 05:11:38 PM »
OMG I just realized that elevator ride would be totally awesome if it still worked. In a willy wonka sort of way. . .

This will be the set for the villains' lair in the next Batman movie. =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 05:24:52 PM »
Bejing tower is falling over,
Falling over, Falling over.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 05:26:54 PM »
Construction-related accidents last year included the collapse of a steel arch on a new railway bridge, which killed at least seven, and a crane which fell on a kindergarten, killing five.  The collapse of dozens of schools during last year's Sichuan earthquake also led to a wave of public outrage about corrupt officials and construction firms.

When your one-child policy isn't doing enough to keep the population down, well you might just need some carefully planned accidents.  Need more tin foil. 

But anyway, they're way ahead of us in infrastructure, right?   :lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife