Author Topic: Jesus Rifles  (Read 15345 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Jesus Rifles
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2010, 06:21:50 PM »
Ooh, thank you!  I like!  Nifty trivia regarding use of force as a moral judgement and imperative.

And speaking of Henry Beecher and his bibles, that's Beecher as in Harriet Beecher Stowe and other famous Beechers.  They tended toward political activism, motivated by religious ideals.  How horrible!!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2010, 03:43:37 PM »
Trijicon is temporarily removing the references.

http://www.trijicon.com/whats_new.cfm?whats_newID=170#170

Trijicon, Inc. Offers to Voluntarily Remove Scripture References on all Products Destined for U.S. Military
(Wixom, MI – Thursday, January 21, 2010) – Trijicon, Inc. today announced that effective yesterday, Wednesday, January 20, 2010, the company has offered to voluntarily stop putting references to scripture on all products manufactured for the U.S. military – and will provide, free of charge, 100 modification kits to the Pentagon to enable the removal of the references that are already on products that are currently deployed.

In response to concerns raised by the Department of Defense, Trijicon, Inc. initiated this action to ensure the war-time production needs of the troops are met as quickly as possible.

Specifically, Trijicon will:

* Remove the inscription reference on all U.S. military products that are in the company’s factory that have already been produced, but have yet to be shipped.
    * Provide 100 modification kits to forces in the field to remove the reference on the already forward deployed optical sights.
    * Ensure all future procurements from the Department of Defense are produced without scripture references.
    * Offer foreign military forces that have purchased Trijicon products the same remedies for removing the scripture reference and the elimination of these references on future products.

Stephen Bindon, Trijicon President and CEO:
“Trijicon has proudly served the U.S. military for more than two decades, and our decision to offer to voluntarily remove these references is both prudent and appropriate,” Stephen Bindon, Trijicon President said. “We want to thank the Department of Defense for the opportunity to work with them and will move as quickly as possible to provide the modification kits for deployment overseas. We are honored that our products were selected by the United States military based on their superior effectiveness and overall value. Trijicon’s more than 250 American workers are proud and humbled to provide critical hardware for our nation’s brave service men and women and we look forward to working with the Department of Defense to ensure our immediate solutions are in compliance with the military’s standards requirements.”

About Trijicon, Inc.:
Trijicon, Inc. has led the industry in the development of superior any-light aiming systems since the company's founding in 1981. For two generations Trijicon has supplied America’s military with the highest quality, innovative optical sighting systems. We are proud and humbled by the opportunity to provide critical hardware for our nation’s brave service men and women.

Contact: Tom Munson,Director of Sales and Marketing (248) 960-7700
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2010, 03:45:25 PM »
 ;/ I suppose they'll stop having chaplains pray before Bn formations now too, huh?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2010, 03:46:13 PM »
Trijicon is temporarily removing the references.

http://www.trijicon.com/whats_new.cfm?whats_newID=170#170

Trijicon, Inc. Offers to Voluntarily Remove Scripture References on all Products Destined for U.S. Military
(Wixom, MI – Thursday, January 21, 2010) – Trijicon, Inc. today announced that effective yesterday, Wednesday, January 20, 2010, the company has offered to voluntarily stop putting references to scripture on all products manufactured for the U.S. military – and will provide, free of charge, 100 modification kits to the Pentagon to enable the removal of the references that are already on products that are currently deployed.

In response to concerns raised by the Department of Defense, Trijicon, Inc. initiated this action to ensure the war-time production needs of the troops are met as quickly as possible.

Specifically, Trijicon will:

* Remove the inscription reference on all U.S. military products that are in the company’s factory that have already been produced, but have yet to be shipped.
    * Provide 100 modification kits to forces in the field to remove the reference on the already forward deployed optical sights.
    * Ensure all future procurements from the Department of Defense are produced without scripture references.
    * Offer foreign military forces that have purchased Trijicon products the same remedies for removing the scripture reference and the elimination of these references on future products.

Stephen Bindon, Trijicon President and CEO:
“Trijicon has proudly served the U.S. military for more than two decades, and our decision to offer to voluntarily remove these references is both prudent and appropriate,” Stephen Bindon, Trijicon President said. “We want to thank the Department of Defense for the opportunity to work with them and will move as quickly as possible to provide the modification kits for deployment overseas. We are honored that our products were selected by the United States military based on their superior effectiveness and overall value. Trijicon’s more than 250 American workers are proud and humbled to provide critical hardware for our nation’s brave service men and women and we look forward to working with the Department of Defense to ensure our immediate solutions are in compliance with the military’s standards requirements.”

About Trijicon, Inc.:
Trijicon, Inc. has led the industry in the development of superior any-light aiming systems since the company's founding in 1981. For two generations Trijicon has supplied America’s military with the highest quality, innovative optical sighting systems. We are proud and humbled by the opportunity to provide critical hardware for our nation’s brave service men and women.

Contact: Tom Munson,Director of Sales and Marketing (248) 960-7700

Nice! Now I'm sure the ACLU and the like will jump up and done screaming about first amendment rights being violated!

[popcorn] .... wait, what? They don't care about people's first Amendment rights unless they agree with what they're saying?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2010, 04:35:46 PM »
That they have to do this to placate military/government REMFs is beyond asinine.

Sadly, once again, the first line in my .sig is proven to be true.  =(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2010, 04:38:36 PM »
What is the removal kit?  A razor blade and some sandpaper?

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2010, 04:42:21 PM »
We have reached a new low as a society - we now worry about the emotional comfort of our enemies before we capture them.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2010, 04:43:51 PM »
We have reached a new low as a society - we now worry about the emotional comfort of our enemies before we capture them.

Hey now, what about the emotional health of all the Muslims enlisted in our infantry? /gigglesnort

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2010, 04:46:02 PM »
What is the removal kit?  A razor blade and some sandpaper?

I wondered that myself.

1/2" HSS end mill?  =D

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2010, 04:59:39 PM »
Hey now, what about the emotional health of all the Muslims enlisted in our infantry? /gigglesnort

I am sure that the Quran has plenty of choicy passages about smiting thy enemy that is naughty in Allah's sight. The Muslims in our military are welcome to inscribe the respective references on their rifles as well. Freedom of religion, not from religion.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2010, 05:20:21 PM »
The Muslims in our military are welcome to inscribe the respective references on their rifles as well.

Until sarge finds out.   :O  I wouldn't want to be the grunt that gets caught scratching letters into my M4. 

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2010, 09:27:17 PM »
What is the removal kit?  A razor blade and some sandpaper?

100 Dremel tools......

;/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2010, 09:54:10 PM »
I wish Trijicon had told them to bite it.  My logical side understands the issue, but my emotional and faithful side doesn't buy in.  I'm not all that religious myself, and I understand the realities of staying in business and why some people are offended...but there is something very immoral about trading one's core beliefs for government silver.  If I was the owner of Trijicon, and was a truly devout believer, I would start sweating a little about that first interview at the pearly gates. The whole stinking business only confirms my fears about why the great powers will probably always struggle to defeat shepherds who believe in something.  The new versions should be called the Judas editions.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2010, 10:37:32 PM »
I wish Trijicon had told them to bite it.  My logical side understands the issue, but my emotional and faithful side doesn't buy in.  I'm not all that religious myself, and I understand the realities of staying in business and why some people are offended...but there is something very immoral about trading one's core beliefs for government silver.  If I was the owner of Trijicon, and was a truly devout believer, I would start sweating a little about that first interview at the pearly gates. The whole stinking business only confirms my fears about why the great powers will probably always struggle to defeat shepherds who believe in something.  The new versions should be called the Judas editions.
I think I see the reason they did it.
The maker of the sights, Trijicon, has a $660 million multi-year contract to provide up to 800,000 sights to the Marine Corps, and additional contracts to provide sights to the U.S. Army.
I would take them off also.  It doesn't really impact their personal principles and it might put in jeopardy the jobs of a lot of people who work for them if they lose the contract. 
I am surprised it hasn't come up sooner.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2010, 10:42:08 PM »
I seriously, seriously doubt the decision to put references on there had anything to do with faith. It was a marketing thing, that they took off when people started whinging.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2010, 10:46:14 PM »
A marketing thing that almost no one ever seemed to notice?  A marketing thing they apparently didn't use when actually, ya know, marketing the product? 

I don't know why they did it, but marketing gimmick doesn't seem like a satisfactory motive.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2010, 11:53:51 PM »
the south african owner of the company was a very serious guy about his faith.  he died in a plane crash about 4-5 years back
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2010, 06:09:07 AM »

Has a lot more to do with our allies than our enemies - it doesn't help them to have this portrayed as religious warfare.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2010, 07:28:58 AM »
I told this story to the armorer at work today, and he pulled out an ACOG.  Sure enough, there it was, right after the S/N: John 8:12.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2010, 08:17:50 AM »
Freedom of religion does not mean freedom from religion.

Depending on the context, yes it does.

But in this case ... meh.  If I were given one of those Trijicon's and really didn't like it, it seems to me that I could fix it in a couple of minutes with a dremel and some alumablack.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2010, 10:27:48 AM »
Wonder if they'll be collectable with the scripture references left intact?

(Kinda want one now...)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2010, 10:31:08 AM »
they sold stuff with the numbers for 23 years before mikey didn't like it
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
Wonder if they'll be collectable with the scripture references left intact?

(Kinda want one now...)

I think they're still going to be on units sold commercially, just removed from the .Mil ones.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2010, 01:32:25 PM »
The photo I saw had "JM812" at the end of the serial number.  The company shouldn't be putting New Testament stuff out there--there are very real safety issues with "turning the other cheek" on the battlefield.  Stick with Old Testament--that's where the smiting is at!
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2010, 01:39:31 PM »
The photo I saw had "JM812" at the end of the serial number.  The company shouldn't be putting New Testament stuff out there--there are very real safety issues with "turning the other cheek" on the battlefield.  Stick with Old Testament--that's where the smiting is at!

I bet it had JN812. I am very amused by Jeremiah 8:12, though:

"Were they ashamed because of the abomination they had done? They certainly were not ashamed, And they did not know how to blush; Therefore they shall fall among those who fall; At the time of their punishment they shall be brought down," Says the LORD.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought