Author Topic: Has Noahs Ark been found. Interesting read  (Read 24040 times)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Has Noahs Ark been found. Interesting read
« on: April 27, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
Interesting news. I find it hard to believe it is Noahs Ark. I seem to remember a Sumarian Epic about a flood story, told several thousand years before Noah was even a thought.

http://scitech.foxnews.mobi/quickPage.html?page=23952&external=267885.proteus.fma#r_http%3A//scitech.foxnews.mobi/quickPage.html%3Fpage%3D23952%26content%3D37654790%26pageNum%3D-1

Has Noahs Ark been found?

A group of Chinese and Turkish evangelical explorers say wooden remains they have discovered on Mount Ararat in eastern Turkey are the remains of Noah's Ark. 

The group claims that carbon dating proves the relics are 4,800 years old, meaning they date to around the same time the ark was said to be afloat. Mt. Ararat has long been suspected as the final resting place of the craft by evangelicals and literalists hoping to validate biblical stories. 

Yeung Wing-Cheung, from the Noah's Ark Ministries International research team that made the discovery, said: "It's not 100 percent that it is Noah's Ark, but we think it is 99.9 percent that this is it." 

There have been several reported discoveries of the remains of Noah's Ark over the years, most notably a find by archaeologist Ron Wyatt in 1987. At the time, the Turkish government officially declared a national park around his find, a boat-shaped object stretched across the mountains of Ararat.

Nevertheless, the evangelical ministry remains convinced that the current find is in fact more likely to be the actual artifact, calling upon Dutch Ark researcher Gerrit Aalten to verify its legitimacy. 

"The significance of this find is that for the first time in history the discovery of Noah's Ark is well documented and revealed to the worldwide community," Aalten said at a press conference announcing the find. Citing the many details that match historical accounts of the Ark, he believes it to be a legitimate archaeological discovery.

"There's a tremendous amount of solid evidence that the structure found on Mount Ararat in Eastern Turkey is the legendary Ark of Noah," said Aalten.

Representatives of Noah's Ark Ministries said the structure contained several compartments, some with wooden beams, that they believe were used to house animals.The group of evangelical archaeologists ruled out an established human settlement on the grounds none have ever been found above 11,000 feet in the vicinity, Yeung said.

During the press conference, team member Panda Lee described visiting the site. "In October 2008, I climbed the mountain with the Turkish team. At an elevation of more than 4,000 meters, I saw a structure built with plank-like timber. Each plank was about 8 inches wide. I could see tenons, proof of ancient construction predating the use of metal nails."

We walked about 100 meters to another site. I could see broken wood fragments embedded in a glacier, and some 20 meters long. I surveyed the landscape and found that the wooden structure was permanently covered by ice and volcanic rocks."

Local Turkish officials will ask the central government in Ankara to apply for UNESCO World Heritage status so the site can be protected while a major archaeological dig is conducted.

The biblical story says that God decided to flood the Earth after seeing how corrupt it was. He then told Noah to build an ark and fill it with two of every animal species.

After the flood waters receded, the Bible says, the ark came to rest on a mountain. Many believe that Mount Ararat, the highest point in the region, is where the ark and her inhabitants ran aground.

Read more at The Sun.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Has Noahs Ark been found. Interesting read
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 12:04:53 PM »
So is this a different site than the one they found several years ago?

I remember seeing someone claim they found it on top of Mt. Ararat maybe 10-15 years back.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 12:07:37 PM »
flood a 3d world map to this level and calculate the volume of water required.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 12:10:50 PM »

In the works....

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 12:12:08 PM »

If "The Flood" ever happened, I don't think it was an actual global flood.  I think it was a Mediterranean tsunami of some sort, caused either by a volcano or a medium-sized meteor strike.  Or possibly a tectonic "lunge" and falling, of the plates surrounding the middle east and africa.  There isn't enough water to do it on the earth, unless it all drained to the earth's center and Jules Verne is right about dinosaurs down there.  And even then, there probably wouldn't be enough.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 12:13:27 PM »
IMO only. I never believed the "world flood" story. More likely and wha I think happened, was a local bigass flood. Story got passed down and retold until it was a world wide event. Although. A bigass flood in a regional area, way back, long before Christ was a corporal, one living would thing the world was going Tango Uniform.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 12:13:44 PM »
If "The Flood" ever happened, I don't think it was an actual global flood.  I think it was a Mediterranean tsunami of some sort, caused either by a volcano or a medium-sized meteor strike.  Or possibly a tectonic "lunge" and falling, of the plates surrounding the middle east and africa.  There isn't enough water to do it on the earth, unless it all drained to the earth's center and Jules Verne is right about dinosaurs down there.  And even then, there probably wouldn't be enough.

Why do you hate God?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 12:24:54 PM »
Why do you hate God?

Well, if we all started in the Middle East, then God didn't need to flood the entire world.  He just needed to flood the ME.

If He threw a big ol' rock into one of the nearby ponds, or popped an earth-zit (volcano), he could accomplish His needs easier than creating a bunch of extra water, then getting rid of that extra water once He was done.

If there's no people in parts of the world, then there's no need to flood it to smite wickedness.
--Lysander Spooner

norinco982lover

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 12:34:07 PM »
I believe it WAS a global flood because that is what the Bible says AND that is what the world has revealed to me.

I do not believe this find to be the actual Ark. I do not think they will ever find it.

I do find this story very interesting tho:D

~Norinco

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 01:10:21 PM »
If there's no people in parts of the world, then there's no need to flood it to smite wickedness.
Dude, smiting is fun.
Heck, if I was God, I'd smite every planet in the universe. Then you'd be guaranteed water on Mars.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 01:27:42 PM »
That isn't the real ark, that is Bubba's ark that had all the dinosaurs in it which sank in the flood.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 01:53:53 PM »
Charbish, I just wanna know the story behind the giant blackboard... That -is- a photochop, right? Please tell me that is a photochop...
Blog under construction

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 02:39:46 PM »
I find it hard to believe it is Noahs Ark.

This stuff comes around every few years.

The ark was probably cannibalized for building materials.

"There's a tremendous amount of solid evidence that the structure found on Mount Ararat in Eastern Turkey is the legendary Ark of Noah," said Aalten.

The Turks would love to get a cut of the religious tourism that goes to the modern state of Israel.

one they found several years ago?

There was a party looking in (IIRC) western Iran, based on a particular interpretation of the relevant texts.  Found some stuff, got all excited.

I'm more interested in what it means and how it fits in the "eschatological megastructure" (google it).
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 03:01:10 PM »
Nevertheless, the evangelical ministry remains convinced that the current find is in fact more likely to be the actual artifact, calling upon Dutch Ark researcher Gerrit Aalten to verify its legitimacy.

Just how many boats are up there on that mountain, anyway?  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 03:04:13 PM »
one hypothesis was the black sea lost its cork and ran into the Mediterranean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sea_deluge_theory
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 03:40:05 PM »
Why do you hate God?

[fred_phelps]Becasue God hates him.[/fred_phelps]
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 05:32:48 PM »
Interesting news. I find it hard to believe it is Noahs Ark. I seem to remember a Sumarian Epic about a flood story, told several thousand years before Noah was even a thought.

Uh, no.  We have no way of knowing when mankind first "thought" of Noah.  It is entirely possible that the Sumerian epic is merely a corruption of the story handed down by Noah's ancestors.  It's also possible that the Sumerian was first, but it's a matter of opinion, either way. 

If "The Flood" ever happened, I don't think it was an actual global flood.  I think it was a Mediterranean tsunami of some sort, caused either by a volcano or a medium-sized meteor strike.  Or possibly a tectonic "lunge" and falling, of the plates surrounding the middle east and africa.  There isn't enough water to do it on the earth, unless it all drained to the earth's center and Jules Verne is right about dinosaurs down there.  And even then, there probably wouldn't be enough.

The way the Bible describes the flood, it was most certainly global.  You don't have to believe in the Bible, or a global flood, but the one described in the Bible was absolutely NOT a local or regional flood. 

And, yes, it does make much more sense when tectonic factors are brought into play. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 05:34:09 PM »
Charbish, I just wanna know the story behind the giant blackboard... That -is- a photochop, right? Please tell me that is a photochop...
I see a flux capacitor in there, so it probably is.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 05:47:55 PM »
The last I researched, years ago. The Sumarian story predated the biblical account of Noah. By thousands of years. Written down on tablets, carbon dated older than the earliest story of Noah. So I believe Noah is a retelling of this. It's also interesting that in the Sumarian Epic, there is a "Cain and Abel" story. Of course the names are dfferent, but the story is to similar to discount.

Abraham Lincoln

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 05:53:46 PM »
The last I researched, years ago. The Sumarian story predated the biblical account of Noah. By thousands of years. Written down on tablets, carbon dated older than the earliest story of Noah. So I believe Noah is a retelling of this. It's also interesting that in the Sumarian Epic, there is a "Cain and Abel" story. Of course the names are dfferent, but the story is to similar to discount.

And that's fine, but it doesn't tell us that Gilgamesh was the original Noah, or that the Sumerians had Cain and Abel first.  It simply means that the oldest extant documents are Sumerian.  If Noah, Cain and Abel were as described by the Bible, the Sumerians and the rest of us are descendants of Noah.  It would therefore be no surprise that Noah's descendants would tell stories about an epic flood, Cain and Abel, etc.  Which, again, doesn't prove anything.  It's just another valid way to understand the evidence. 

And one nitpick.  I thought the story of Noah was too recent for carbon dating to apply.  No? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 05:57:17 PM »
And one nitpick.  I thought the story of Noah was too recent for carbon dating to apply.  No? 

AFAIK there is no minimum age for carbon dating.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 06:02:15 PM »
AFAIK there is no minimum age for carbon dating.

But there is for Carberry dating.  (it's 18)
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 06:05:28 PM »
I tend to read the Flood story, like much of the oral history finally recorded in Scripture, as "true" but not necessarily precisely accurate in every detail.

It's a story telling about something that actually happened as perceived by those who were there and then transferred through generation via repetition.  You describe things using the context and language you have available.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 06:11:14 PM »
But there is for Carberry dating.  (it's 18)

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 06:22:14 PM »
hey, big bird's back. [popcorn]