Author Topic: Interactive Map of Botched Paramilitary Police Raids  (Read 35945 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Interactive Map of Botched Paramilitary Police Raids
« Reply #125 on: May 30, 2010, 02:33:33 AM »
i don't believe i counted anyone with residue unless they got convicted. i am willing to go incident by incident and outline each time he fudges and the times he out and out lies. is a lie of omission a lie?

According to your post, they were charged.  You wrote nothing about conviction.

Do as you will.  My point was not the sufficiency/insufficiency of Balko's data set, but that some folks on APS are fine with people being raided by paramilitary goons for amounts of cocaine so small LEOs are unwilling to quantify the amount. 

One has to wonder, "How little is too little to justify thousands of dollars of damage to a man's home, killing his pets, pointing weapons at his kids, and terrorizing the lot of them?"

"Violence can only be concealed by a lie, and the lie can only be maintained by violence."
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

There are other Solzhenitsyn quotes appropriate to the topic.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

taurusowner

« Reply #126 on: May 30, 2010, 02:45:03 AM »
One has to wonder, "How little is too little to justify thousands of dollars of damage to a man's home, killing his pets, pointing weapons at his kids, and terrorizing the lot of them?"

With as often as you guys bring that up, one would think every member of every SWAT team in America has shot at least a few dogs.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #127 on: May 30, 2010, 02:51:48 AM »
"Violence can only be concealed by a lie, and the lie can only be maintained by violence."
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

certain irony to that quote in light of the content of balkos work
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #128 on: May 30, 2010, 04:35:37 PM »
With as often as you guys bring that up, one would think every member of every SWAT team in America has shot at least a few dogs.

Pretty much SWAT SOP, even for non-aggressive dogs that turn tail.  Given that there are no adverse consequences felt by SWAT for shooting a dog (even when the raid is obviously on the wrong houe or diddly squat is found), it is not surprising that so many accounts of paramilitary raids on home owners include shooting the owners' dogs.

Every non-SWAT urban patrol cop that I know who has been on the job for a few years has shot a dog.  (But, they all have done most of their work in the 'hood, where aggresive dogs and irresponsible owners are common.)

A college buddy of mine has shot two while on patrol.  First one was when he pulled up to a person's house in the hood to check out some (non-dog) complaint made by a neighbor.  He gets out of his patrol car, closes the door, and a big ol' rottie trots around the corner of hte house and spots him.  The dog gets aggressive & gives off the "I'm going to get a piece of you" signs and approaches steadily while my buddy tries sweet-talking it.  No dice, so my buddy draws down on the pooch and when it gets close he shoots it twice with his Glock 22, once in the snout (angled down) and once on the torso.

The newspaper article indicates that emergency vet services were called and the dog survived. (0)

The other time, he was responding to another complaint and had to walk inside a fenced front yard.  The object of the complaint was on the porch with his dog, a pit mix.  Dog gets up, barks incessantly, & approaches aggressively.  My buddy tells the owner to call him off, but the owner makes no effort, just sits there and watches.  Again, when dog approaches aggressively and is about to get chompy, my buddy hits twice with his Glock 22.  Dog survives, again(0).  My buddy was super pissed at the owner, as he likes dogs and does not like shooting them.

(0) I think my buddy is letting them get so close that the high angle makes hitting vitals less likely.  It is also SOP for his urban dept to call emergency vet services when a dog is shot.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

taurusowner

« Reply #129 on: May 30, 2010, 04:48:09 PM »
Pretty much SWAT SOP, even for non-aggressive dogs that turn tail

Got a cite on that?

I've heard a total of 2 incidents.  The Weavers and that story about the mayor of some town who got raided I think last year and his dog was shot.  And I've asked 3 police officers I know since posting in this thread, and none of them have ever shot a dog.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #130 on: May 30, 2010, 05:07:20 PM »
I've heard a total of 2 incidents.  The Weavers and that story about the mayor of some town who got raided I think last year and his dog was shot.  And I've asked 3 police officers I know since posting in this thread, and none of them have ever shot a dog.

Well, I could go ask the one across the street, but I know he's shot at least one.  Quite justifiably, too.

• friends
« Reply #131 on: May 30, 2010, 07:36:10 PM »
Pretty much SWAT SOP, even for non-aggressive dogs that turn tail.  Given that there are no adverse consequences felt by SWAT for shooting a dog (even when the raid is obviously on the wrong houe or diddly squat is found), it is not surprising that so many accounts of paramilitary raids on home owners include shooting the owners' dogs.

reach much?  you usually do better than that
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #132 on: May 30, 2010, 10:54:59 PM »

reach much?  you usually do better than that

I would note that of the two dogs shot in the Columbia, MO, raid, one was a corgi out & about and the other was a <gasp> pit bull who was locked up in his kennel in the kitchen

You might want to think on it.

A knock-first-for-real(0) warrant service without paramilitary goons allows dogs to be kenneled, put in the back yard, or otherwise controlled. 

A no-knock or knock-and-smash(1) type raid gives no opportunity to do that and gets the dogs all riled up.  The few times there has been commotion in the middle of the night outside my house, my dogs are jazzed & ready to rumble.  Anyone coming through the door will be met by two growling & barking beasts.  At that point, the dog is a real threat(2) (if it is of medium or larger size--puntable mutts can usually be punted) because its territory is being invaded and its master has not told it to stand down.  What, pray tell, is SOP for a dangerous dog getting ready to attack LEOs?

A medium to large dog riled up like that can do a buttload of damage real quick, especially if it gets in the middle of the goon squad.

Even dogs that turn tail at first can grow a pair if they see their master thrown about.

And, to introduce a bit of levity:
Q. How do you know when the SWAT team is having an outdoor BBQ?

A. They bring the hushpuppies.

(0) Knocking and waiting a reasonable amount of time for a resident to come to the door.

(1) No reasonable amount of time given for the resident to get up / drop what they are doing and answer the door.  Essentially a no-knock raid with their fingers crossed behind their backs.

(2) A threat due to the actions of the paramilitary goons, I might add.

Got a cite on that?

I would suggest that is because you might not be interested in the answers.  Google is your friend (swat raid shot shoot dog).

Maryland Mayor's poochies
http://www.jbs.org/jbs-news-feed/6050-maryland-swat-stats-reveal-excesses

Lima, Ohio, Two Pair Beats a Flush! (Two dogs, mother and her baby shot ; 3/4 die)
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/30/us/30lima.html

Boxer in another botched raid, where they got the wrong addy:
http://wjz.com/specialreports/botched.raids.wjz.2.854006.html

SWATties use armored personnel carrier to arrest a man for outstanding (misdemeanor) traffic citations.  End up burning his house down and burning his puppy to death.  (Granted, doggie death by immolation rather than exsanguination.)  At least the SWATties got a good laugh out if it all:
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2004-08-05/news/dog-day-afternoon/full

Paramilitary goons shoot dog inside apartment, drag him outside and shoot him again once they realize he is still alive:
http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/45a/558.html

I could go on, but I doubt I could summarize the other 134,995 google results in a reasonable amount of time.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

taurusowner

« Reply #133 on: May 30, 2010, 10:59:00 PM »
A knock-first-for-real(0) warrant service without paramilitary goons allows dogs to be kenneled, put in the back yard, or otherwise controlled. 

The converse is also true.  Giving the suspects warning that police are here as well as exactly where they are allows the real goons to grab weapons and get their own dogs riled up to attack police.

• friends
« Reply #134 on: May 30, 2010, 11:01:30 PM »
who was locked up in his kennel in the kitchen. 

see the power of balko in the flesh.  that lil misspeak is no longer part of the bs being floated on that one  but it had enough legs to real in you

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #135 on: May 30, 2010, 11:16:20 PM »
Oops, the damned subjects are demanding the SWATties keep an account of their raids:

http://www.jbs.org/jbs-news-feed/6050-maryland-swat-stats-reveal-excesses

Last year, Maryland became the first state to require police departments with Special Weapons And Tactics (SWAT) teams to track and report deployment statistics. And the results, obtained by the Baltimore Sun using a Freedom of Information request, have shocked critics.

From July to December of 2009, law enforcement in Maryland sent out SWAT units over 800 times — almost 5 times per day. Even more alarming is that more than half of those deployments were used for misdemeanors and non-serious felonies, defined as “Part II” crimes by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Critics also highlighted the Baltimore Sun’s breakdown of the numbers, which showed that the paramilitary teams were hardly ever used for their original purpose. About 94 percent of the SWAT deployments simply involved searches or arrest warrants. Only 6 percent of the reported uses covered scenarios that SWAT teams were actually designed to deal with, such as hostage crises or other emergency situations.

who was locked up in his kennel in the kitchen. 

see the power of balko in the flesh.  that lil misspeak is no longer part of the bs being floated on that one  but it had enough legs to real in you

If that is not the case, then point to the more accurate data.  Also, remind me what the heinous dude was charged with, again?

One dead caged/free pooch is really small taters relative to shooting mothers & their infants after shooting the dogs.  But, most folks in this sick society have more sympathy for dead dogs than people murdered by gov't goons.

Assuming you are correct, shooting doggies and using kiddos as backstops is still poor implementation of the Four Rules. 
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #136 on: May 30, 2010, 11:19:27 PM »
lets take a non balkoized look at the cases you mentioned
first one is the md mayor  not much to be said there its a shame that he got set up like that and his dogs are dead

the lima ohio case.  you sure you wanna cite that one ? the momma had 5 kids by 5 dope dealers and chose to raiser em in a house where drugs were being sold.  her current babys daddy had hurt/shot at a cop last time he got arrested and by his own admission turned the dogs loose on the cops when they came to arrest him. the good news is the kid will live

the boxer seems like pg county police screwed up the address  i don't know why they shot the boxer do you? i assume he was doing his job defending his house

the one with the apc?  well thats sheriff joe and he gets a special dispensation from the folks in arizona  st joe will be gov if they can help it

the raid where the last pitbull got shot netted a fair amount of dope

pit bulls get a certain visceral reaction from folks  it gets em shot  and that likely didn't help the boxer any.

• friends
« Reply #137 on: May 30, 2010, 11:23:14 PM »
heres that well know statist group norml's page on that pitbull in the cage
http://blog.norml.org/2010/05/06/missouri-swat-team-shoots-family-dog-during-raid-over-small-amount-of-marijuana/
they are famous for siding with the cops

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #138 on: May 30, 2010, 11:54:20 PM »
heres that well know statist group norml's page on that pitbull in the cage
http://blog.norml.org/2010/05/06/missouri-swat-team-shoots-family-dog-during-raid-over-small-amount-of-marijuana/
they are famous for siding with the cops

So, NORML has clawed its way up from the pit of unreliable sources up to solid status?

At least the article contained the charges I had forgotten:
In the end the victim pleaded guilty to the misdemeanor charge of possession of drug paraphernalia in exchange for dropping the charges of misdemeanor marijuana possession and second-degree child endangerment.  Yes, you read that right: the police burst into this man’s home, shooting weapons in his home and killing his dog with his seven-year-old sleeping in the next room and he’s the one who was endangering his child by smoking pot in his own home.

I am somewhat surprised at the lucidity and grammatically correct nature of the NORML post.  Is the author NORML's "Sober Goy?"
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #139 on: May 31, 2010, 12:01:02 AM »
the lima ohio case.  you sure you wanna cite that one ? the momma had 5 kids by 5 dope dealers and chose to raiser em in a house where drugs were being sold.  her current babys daddy had hurt/shot at a cop last time he got arrested and by his own admission turned the dogs loose on the cops when they came to arrest him. the good news is the kid will live

You make it sound like it was her fault for getting shot by an incompetent officer.

In the end the victim pleaded guilty to the misdemeanor charge of possession of drug paraphernalia in exchange for dropping the charges of misdemeanor marijuana possession and second-degree child endangerment.  Yes, you read that right: the police burst into this man’s home, shooting weapons in his home and killing his dog with his seven-year-old sleeping in the next room and he’s the one who was endangering his child by smoking pot in his own home.

They've got a pretty valid point.
Look, tiny text!

• friends
« Reply #140 on: May 31, 2010, 12:05:36 AM »
lol  maybe he ran out.  actually there are a number of norml folks who don't use the sacred weed.
you think in light of the fact they searched his trash found traces and he had done 18 months federal for dealing coke and pot had been snitched on by two folks one of whom was his wife might explain the warrant? the story i heard was wife walked out and dimed him.  he was dealing again  no job supporting the family with the victimless crime. then they reconciled she came back.  that might explain them not finding anything.  wouldn't be the first time i saw a wife snitch then change her mind and tell hubby to save him.  that saved my butt once.
i was never sure who was the more stupid  the wife who left snitched then confessed or the guy who took her back.  the oddest one of those deals i ever saw was a undercover was knowledgeable in the biblical sense of this smoking hot lil blond who sold coke.  he fell in love and warned her about a raid . it enabled her husband along with several of us to not get nabbed.  it got funnier when my room mate got nabbed for possession and they told him if he gave up a connection he could walk.  he named the undercover and they had to honor their deal to protect his cover.  we got many a chuckle outa that one

• friends
« Reply #141 on: May 31, 2010, 12:09:15 AM »
You make it sound like it was her fault for getting shot by an incompetent officer.

in what way was he incompetent?  and what was her role in getting shot? fair warning read up thoroughly on this one  i have

They've got a pretty valid point.

in my world dealing dope outa a house where kids live is endangerment. you other fellers are much more open minded than me.
if the stickup boys come they are inclined to shoot everyone in the house

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #142 on: May 31, 2010, 08:50:10 AM »
the oddest one of those deals i ever saw was a undercover was knowledgeable in the biblical sense of this smoking hot lil blond who sold coke

Well, you have to admire his dedication to his undercover job  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #143 on: May 31, 2010, 09:33:47 AM »
i don't blame him at all  she was a cross between stevie nicks and raquel welch, and surprise surprise a VERY  treacherous woman

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #144 on: May 31, 2010, 11:24:49 AM »
Sometime back I read about a couple of game officers who were posing as husband and wife in an old trailer camp to try to catch some poachers.

After a while, they weren't just posing... which was something of a problem because at least one of the two was married.  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #145 on: May 31, 2010, 01:55:17 PM »
Sometime back I read about a couple of game officers who were posing as husband and wife in an old trailer camp to try to catch some poachers.

After a while, they weren't just posing... which was something of a problem because at least one of the two was married.  ;/

Hopefully, at least one was female...but since you don't specify the state...

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #146 on: May 31, 2010, 03:34:57 PM »
Hopefully, at least one was female...but since you don't specify the state...

Yes - it wasn't that weird  ;)

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #147 on: May 31, 2010, 08:43:51 PM »
Here's another shot dog.- Didn't even go looking for it.

http://www.wnem.com/news/23576377/detail.html

David Ruhle told WNEM TV5 he and his family were inside their Saginaw Township home in the middle of the night when they heard gunshots.

When Ruhle checked his back yard he saw the family dog Buddy covered in blood and Saginaw Township police officers with guns drawn.

"My gate was open and they were all standing -- there was about four of them,” Ruhle said. "They were looking for someone...they had heard a tip that that someone might be here."

Appears to be a standard operating procedure.

7-11 was a part time job.

• friends
« Reply #148 on: May 31, 2010, 09:27:47 PM »
is it your assertion that was a swat raid?  or some sorta malfeasance?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #149 on: May 31, 2010, 10:19:48 PM »
Here's another shot dog.- Didn't even go looking for it.

http://www.wnem.com/news/23576377/detail.html

That's why the police don't want you to have guns.  What if the homeowner had had a rifle in an upstairs window?  A group of armed trespassers inside the fenced back yard, shots fired, the dog is down...  IMHO it would have been a good shoot.  (they would certainly shoot you for a lot less)  It doesn't say what time of day or night this happened.

"It's good, though..."