Author Topic: Truck gun :)  (Read 27315 times)

Hutch

• friend
Truck gun :)
« on: August 15, 2010, 10:31:59 AM »
I don't this topic has ever come up before :lol:  I am not looking for a recommendation for a particular rifle or shotgun, but only for ideas on how to prioritize competing "design points".  I present them in no particular order.

1)  Many are concerned about keeping the cost of the firearm low, since it's more likely to be lost to theft than firearms stored in a safe.

2)  Should be effective for self defense against all threats

3)  Shouldn't cause public hysteria when unmasked for use

4)  Others (on the opposite side of 1) and 3) above) suggest that cost is no object, since the only time the truck gun comes out is to repel Zombies and Soviet/Cuban paratroopers, anyway.

5)  Should be very durable to withstand life near the jack handle and logging chains.

6)  Should be able to be carried slung, since one may have to de-truck and UA the AO on foot.

7)  Would NOT be the only firearm available, since everyone knows we all CCW, all the time.

As I think about the foregoing, I guess it's going to come down to the usual location of the truck, and the perceived threat.  A firearm that would draw admiring glances in my little town might cause a riot (or at least a 911 call) in the suburbs of Boston.  Alaska presents a very different threat environment than does the Mexican border.  Without suggesting a make/model/caliber, can someone else offer additional considerations, and/or comment on the ones above?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

dogmush

• friend
Re: Truck gun :)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 10:42:43 AM »
I use a cheap 12 ga pump, with plastic furniture.

Point 1: Cheap, check.
Point 2: Effective, 12 Ga with a variety of loads in the truck and on a sidesaddle.  Good for birds to bear. Check.
Point 3: Hysteria: It's a 12ga pump.  Pretty unevil.  I suppose wood furniture would be more innocuous. Half check.
Point 4: BS. Truck guns have many uses short of the apocolypse.
Point 5: 12 ga pump.  Pretty tough.  Plastic furniture, pretty tough.  Both are reliable.  Check.
Point 6: I have sling. Check.
Point 7: Well duh.

Without going into specific brands, I really like a 12ga for a basic, cheap, versitle firearm.  Yeah if I knew I was going to a gunfight I might want an M4.  But to limit to one truck gun, there you go.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 10:53:31 AM »
Milsurps are popular truck guns. I use a Yugo M48 with a Mojo sight. 90 bucks for the rifle, plus 50 for the sight, so it's something that I don't mind getting banged around. If you're a young'in with good eyes, you could skip the Mojo. A K-31 would make a good truck gun, though they're getting a bit costly these days.

EDIT: Oops, I mentioned models. :)

A milsurp would fit your needs.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 11:14:53 AM »
Breakdown .22 with iron sights (bought it from PTK, you can look in the classified to probably figure out what it is) is my truck gun that stays there permanently.  It has 2 loaded magazines in it and I always have another 50rd box in my console.

1.  Cheap gun, heck doesn't even look like a gun when broken down mixed in with the tools, chains, and etc behind my back seat.  If it gets stolen I'm not out a huge amount of $$$.
2.  Not so hot on this one, but not terrible.
3.  Other than they will think I'm a redneck James Bond, pretty inoffensive looking.
4.  meh, I don't buy into this either.  By that logic I should buy a new tricked out AR-10 or something to stuff behind the seat.  Besides..  we all know that a .22 is as good as anything for a zombie since you have to get a head shot!  :)
5.  check
6.  nope, but it does fit nicely in my pack I leave in the truck
7.  check

When I am doing the most tooling around in the truck it is hunting season so I have a much more powerful shotgun and/or bolt action rifle with me anyway.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 11:17:47 AM »
I suppose ultimately you should get what you like and are comfortable with, within the parameters of being relatively cheap, simple, rugged, and effective.

They make these things called "gun cases" so the truck gun doesn't have to get intimate with the jack handle ;)

Likely candidates:

Above mentioned 12gauge pump

Lever action .357 or 30-30

AK variation

SKS

Hi-point 9mm
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 11:35:18 AM »
I like the lever action 30-30 idea.  It is probably the cheapest levergun bigger than a 22.  It is common, with common ammo, and certainly not an EBR.  It has a bit more range over the shotgun. 

That said, the shotgun works if that is what you want.  I am not sure about SKS rifles or AK's.  They are not as cheap as they used to be, but I guess they aren't compared to a new 30-30.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 01:34:48 PM »
I don't this topic has ever come up before :lol:  I am not looking for a recommendation for a particular rifle or shotgun, but only for ideas on how to prioritize competing "design points".  I present them in no particular order.

1)  Many are concerned about keeping the cost of the firearm low, since it's more likely to be lost to theft than firearms stored in a safe.

4)  Others (on the opposite side of 1) and 3) above) suggest that cost is no object, since the only time the truck gun comes out is to repel Zombies and Soviet/Cuban paratroopers, anyway.

5)  Should be very durable to withstand life near the jack handle and logging chains.

6)  Should be able to be carried slung, since one may have to de-truck and UA the AO on foot.

7)  Would NOT be the only firearm available, since everyone knows we all CCW, all the time.

As I think about the foregoing, I guess it's going to come down to the usual location of the truck, and the perceived threat.  A firearm that would draw admiring glances in my little town might cause a riot (or at least a 911 call) in the suburbs of Boston.  Alaska presents a very different threat environment than does the Mexican border.  Without suggesting a make/model/caliber, can someone else offer additional considerations, and/or comment on the ones above?

OK.

Probability of #4 is negligible.  Probability of #1, loss due to theft or accident is quite a bit higher.  --> minimize cost of truck gun.

Durable finish and furniture.  Don't know where you're at, but a blued gun left in a truck would get unsightly quick in a lot of places.

All looks like a good argument for a Mosin or a basic shotgun.  "Looks like Daddy's hunting rifle."
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 02:01:32 PM »
Cheapest route is the Mosin.  I had one for a while and wasn't a fanboi.  Not sure why everyone loves them.

If you pay your dues you can find a rough 30-30 for well under $300, so that might be a good option.

Another option not mentioned is the single shot shotgun.  You can quite often find them for under a 100 bucks or so at a gun shop in the used gun rack. Get a sidesaddle for it, and a sling that holds more ammo (or a cartridge belt).  Not a tack driver, and a little slower on the reloads, but initial cost is low.  Sometimes you can find specials on the single shot rifle packages at the big box hunting stores, too, and get those for under $200.

ETA: BPS has Rem 870 express for $269 right now at the BPS near my house.
Also ETA: Academy has a Rossi .223 single shot for $199

I know the single shot rifles won't lay down a wall of lead, but if you practice, you can load and fire them pretty darn quickly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1q2AujDsic
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 02:21:19 PM »
A short milsurp would be my choice, something like a jungle carbine or FR8.

A 12 gauge pump would also work, but I'd want it with wood furniture, not plastic.  Black stocks look inherently eeevil to the unwashed (including even some cops), and that's a hassle I wouldn't want to deal with.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 03:52:29 PM »
Another vote for the 12ga., but I'm leaning toward a coach gun. I already have a Stoeger with a butt cuff and sling...just need to find a hard case to store it (disassembled) in....

The 12ga. is extremely versatile....it works for riot "dissuasion", SD, hunting/survival....it can even fire flares for rescues....

Now, I just have to find a HD long-gun to take the place of the coach gun...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 05:10:08 PM »
I have often wondered about one of the folding carbines made by a certain manufacturer in Florida.  Either in 9 mm or .223.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 07:53:26 PM »
I know the single shot rifles won't lay down a wall of lead, but if you practice, you can load and fire them pretty darn quickly.

Well, at least you don't have to worry about your magazine running out   =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 09:52:42 PM »
Hijacking my own thread...
I have often wondered about one of the folding carbines made by a certain manufacturer in Florida.  Either in 9 mm or .223
I think either sub SU-16 or Sub-2k (got one of the latter) might be just ginger-peachy, but the conventional wisdom here has got me leaning toward a cowboy carbine or an 870, both of which are in good supply.  The Kel-Tec might be able to be stuck in a daypack or some such, and cause less hysteria.  But then again, if one is UA-ing the AO on foot, then things have already gone pear-shaped.  Hmmmmm....  More thoughts?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 10:16:38 PM »
First off, buy used.

12 ga Pump Shotgun

I went 12ga pump for my truck gun.  The base was a police trade-in 870, so I have something over $300 sunk into it, after adding the Knoxx COp Stock and Choate black corncob & mag ext:

I don;t yet have a sling, but do have the hardware to mount a sling.

dogmush went through your list and I agree with his assessment. 

I keep it stoked with 000 buck and have slugs handy in case I need serious penetration.  It is good out to 100yards vs human sized critters and is powerful enough to handle anything in N America.

Any quality used 12ga pump with a 18-20" bbl will have similar characteristics.

I think that there are enough 12ga pumps sold out of Wal-mart with black plastic furniture that it has become a non-issue for pumps.

Lever Gun

A used lever gun in any of the usual lever gun calibers is also a fine contender: .30-30, .35Rem.  If I don't expect to have to go out to these cartridges' extreme range, I would run with a WIn 92 clone (cheaper than real Win 92s) in .44mag, .45Colt, or .454Casull.  All can be loaded to "Holy s**t" power levels in a WIn 92 clone and the .454 Casull heavy loads will nip at the heels of factory .45-70.

I have never come across a "cheap" .22LR lever gun.  All have been more expensive than the common .30-30-class lever guns.

As for your list:
Common used lever guns look like $300-ish items

No argument except the largest of all critters.  .454,however, is used to hunt thoae critters with a handgun.  A hard-cast .30-30 would likely have similar or greater penetration, IMO.

Hysteria over a lever gun?  Get them a fainting couch and a stiff drink.

Baloney. 

Lever guns are very positive and have lots of extraction power

DOne easily.

If you went .44mag Win 92 clone and SW629 as your CW< you'd have ammo interchangability  (or .45Colt/SW625, or...)

Cheap Milsurp

This is the realm of med-heavy service rifles.  Mosin-Nagant, Yugo Mausers, Turk Mausers, etc. 

As for your list:
Some Mosins & Turk Mausers are sub-$100.  I think I paid $200 for a pristine M48 Yugo some years back and they are still in that range for decent examples.

All but the largest of N American predators.  8x57 in euro spec, 7.62x54R.

Another bolt-action gun.

Still baloney. 

They were made to survive battlefield conditions.  Likely more reliable than anything else mentioned on this thread

Yep

Yep

Short/Handy EXPENSIVE Milsurp

This is a wonderful category of rifles/carbines.  Alas, they are getting pricey.  The best of this breed is the Swede M94 in 6.5x55.  The prices on those preclude use as a truck gun.

Same goes for Enfield Jungle carbines.  Spanish FR8s are getting up there, too.  The FR7 and 1916 are still cheap, I think, but are best left to handloaders who can download from 7.62NATO specs to accommodate their weaker actions.

Still, these suckers are some of the handiest battle rifles ever.

I do NOT include some of the shorter Mosins in this category.  They still weigh as much as a Yugo Mauser.

I think all save the FR8 are firmly above $300 and the FR8 has got to be pushing $300.

.303, 7.62NATO, 6.5x55, yep.

Another bolt-action gun.

Still baloney. 

They were made to survive battlefield conditions.  Likely more reliable than anything else mentioned on this thread

Yep

Yep

Auto-Pistol caliber & Intermediate-caliber (5.56,7.62x39) fail #2.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

PTK

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 10:23:58 PM »
The main firearm in my vehicle (not a truck, but...) is a Springfield M6 22/410. I keep it out of sight, but if it gets stolen there's always the insurance. =|
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 10:36:13 PM »
Right now a K-31 is behind the seat along with a nice little pouched belt holding more mags, boxed ammo, and loaded chargers. The best part is that anyone obtaining it will have limited ammo. Not going to find it everywhere. Of course I forgot to bring my over the back door gun in tonight so there is a loaded AR carbine on the seat too. So, if you are following the GPS chip in my arse you now know where to find some guns.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 11:26:19 PM »
I'd vote for an Ishapore 2A in 7.62 Nato. Bubbaed into a cheap ATI stock for an ersatz No 5 Jungle carbine.

With the 12 round magazine you've got great capacity. And the cock-on-closing Lee-Enfield bolt action is about as fast there is without being semi-auto. The bolt practically throws itself open for you after you lift it.

Maybe a low power optic of some sort pseudo-scout mounted on a rail placed on the rear sight bridge.

Duracoat it for rust resistance.

Great firepower, but has "sporter" looks.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 12:04:36 AM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 11:40:09 PM »
The main firearm in my vehicle (not a truck, but...) is a Springfield M6 22/410. I keep it out of sight, but if it gets stolen there's always the insurance.

Maybe so, but replacing it would be near impossible. There's a lot of people looking for M6's, and hardly any around. For anyone who has one, it's a seller's market if he wants to make a little profit.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 11:59:58 PM »
Yeah, I'll second that.

The M6 is on my short-list of "just because" oddball guns I want to have.
I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 12:38:05 AM »
And I have a long list of names and email addresses of people waiting for me to come across an M6 as I call gun store owners for my website.

The Shooters Shop had one last year (or was it 2008?). They had a price tag on it of $325, which was outrageous for a gun that could be had for under $200 when it was still being produced. Someone paid that price, though.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 12:41:57 AM »
Oh, if only someone would make the M6 in stainless again!  I would buy a couple!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 02:55:10 AM »
The M6 I bought is mine until I die or it gets stolen, period. I bought it really cheap, and have modded it up one side and down the other. If I were to sell, it'd have to be an absurdly high offer. :)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 11:12:38 AM »
And I have a long list of names and email addresses of people waiting for me to come across an M6 as I call gun store owners for my website.

So you just need to know where PTK parks his vehicle =D

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 11:18:24 AM »
The M6 I bought is mine until I die or it gets stolen, period. I bought it really cheap, and have modded it up one side and down the other. If I were to sell, it'd have to be an absurdly high offer. :)

"One dollar M6 for eternal happiness?.... I'd be happier with the dollar M6."
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2010, 11:26:50 AM »
Hell, looks like if you pay attention you can score a Marlin 336 in .30-30 for under $200!  http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=184559712#PIC
I've seen them new at some big box stores with scope for under $350, btw.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”