Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 40885 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2010, 12:23:22 AM »
Cool to hear! I've really been liking it.

Though I am trying to figure out why in the last episode neonazi biker didn't use the hacksaw on the 1/4" bolt his handcuffs were attached to.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #101 on: November 17, 2010, 12:32:45 AM »

Though I am trying to figure out why in the last episode neonazi biker didn't use the hacksaw on the 1/4" bolt his handcuffs were attached to.

I wondered the same thing.  But then, by the time he finally got his hands on the saw, it may have been too late to saw through the bolt.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2010, 12:34:39 AM »
Rubicon, another AMC series about conspiracies, has been given the boot.

Sponsored by Jeep?

Spider monkeys, huh?

Honestly, your best bet would be a riot shield, and something like a "true" bowie or tomahawk. If friends are available, two-fisting the weapons while the friends use shields would be ideal. Look something like this: /^\

You know he just made up that silly topic to see if he could get us to take it seriously, right?  :laugh:

The real reason for shotguns over ARs in this setting is because had the characters been using ARs, the show would be less... entertaining.

A man with an AR and a bunch of mags can seriously thin out a crowd of zombies.

Not with a screenwriter's grasp of tactics, he couldn't.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #103 on: November 17, 2010, 01:37:30 AM »
Honestly, your best bet would be a riot shield, and something like a "true" bowie or tomahawk.

You know what my answer to this would be. :D
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

brimic

• friends
« Reply #104 on: November 17, 2010, 07:57:47 AM »
You know he just made up that silly topic to see if he could get us to take it seriously, right?
Spider monkeys are a REAL threat [ar15], zombies are still hypothetical. ;/

The writers of that show need to hire some real experts, maybe they could start fishing on this site. The deer that was 'shot with 2-3 crossbow bolts and tracked for miles' is just plain silly. If an archer ever got a second shot at a deer, its because its already on the ground.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #105 on: November 17, 2010, 08:26:15 AM »
Personally, I think it just reaffirms viewers' hunger for zombies.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #106 on: November 17, 2010, 08:41:50 AM »
Spider monkeys are a REAL threat [ar15], zombies are still hypothetical. ;/

I live in a state where the dozens of spider monkeys we have live in zoos....but over 50% of voters re-elected Rick Perry....

That cinches it for me....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2010, 10:03:21 AM »
You know what my answer to this would be. :D

Would be a good choice though.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

HankB

• friend
« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2010, 12:29:18 PM »
. . . Personally, I think it just reaffirms viewers' hunger for zombies . . .
Disturbing image . . . I thought it was the zombies who hungered . . .

. . . zombies are still hypothetical. ;/ 
Talked to a Democrat lately? (Even Bob Hope knew this - reposting the link in case anyone missed it:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNWIatFCH1Q )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2010, 12:34:30 PM »
Rubicon, another AMC series about conspiracies, has been given the boot.

That stinks I liked that show
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2010, 05:20:48 PM »

Yup, the zombies were getting thru the door plus he had been sitting there for days going nuts. I knew that he was going to cut his hand off.

He will return to mess with the group, & he will be in a bad mood.

the main group is a bunch of losers, If I was that aisan guy I would take off-he's the only smart one. The main guy who always want to wear his uniform despite the world ending is going to get everyone killed. I hope handless brother kills him :P [popcorn]
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2010, 06:17:07 PM »
Wearing a uniform makes SENSE from a survival standpoint.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2010, 06:35:15 PM »

Please explain....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2010, 06:38:25 PM »
Micro might mean the utilitarian value of something like BDUs. However the "middle management", cop on the city street, short sleeved shirt and polyster trousers our hero has been wearing don't really fit the utilitarian bill. Even his deputy buddy has switched to BDU pants and a pair of boots.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2010, 06:40:21 PM »

I guess I could see some advantage, like maybe less likely to get shot by other uniformed services-but the criminal element might be tempted to get even or shoot you because they are drugged out or something.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #115 on: November 17, 2010, 06:51:19 PM »
I guess I could see some advantage, like maybe less likely to get shot by other uniformed services-but the criminal element might be tempted to get even or shoot you because they are drugged out or something.

Or just because they can.  There isn't exactly law and order in that kind of situation....
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #116 on: November 17, 2010, 09:07:48 PM »
However, you have adults who have been conditioned for their whole lives to obey laws and obey the police.
A uniformed cop or member of the military would be looked to as a leader in such a situation out of sheer human conditioning.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2010, 09:17:38 PM »
BDUs rock. Try stuffing an MRE into a hip pocket.

Blog under construction

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2010, 10:21:06 PM »
However, you have adults who have been conditioned for their whole lives to obey laws and obey the police.
A uniformed cop or member of the military would be looked to as a leader in such a situation out of sheer human conditioning.

It makes survival sense to cooperate with a uniformed policeman or soldier. Police have emergency training and are/were screened to avoid obvious criminality. A law-abiding citizen would sensibly look to trained LEOs for guidance.

Uniforms are also designed with comfort and durability in an emergency situation in mind.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #119 on: November 17, 2010, 10:34:14 PM »
A law-abiding citizen would sensibly look to trained LEOs for guidance.

....esp. since they're the only ones in the room who can use a Glock For-Tay responsibly....  :laugh:

Only LEO I'd defer to in this situation would be a Fish and Game officer...they know where the good poaching sites are....  =D

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #120 on: November 17, 2010, 10:45:03 PM »
What I'm saying is that a person would reasonably wear a uniform because they'd expect it would convey them an air of authority. Which has already worked well for the character at some points.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2010, 10:02:29 AM »
The writers of that show need to hire some real experts, maybe they could start fishing on this site. The deer that was 'shot with 2-3 crossbow bolts and tracked for miles' is just plain silly. If an archer ever got a second shot at a deer, its because its already on the ground.

Synchronized cross-bow shooting? It could be an event in the Apocolympics.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2010, 10:09:17 AM »
What I'm saying is that a person would reasonably wear a uniform because they'd expect it would convey them an air of authority. Which has already worked well for the character at some points.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2010, 04:26:50 PM »
Heck I bet a man with an axe could too if he used the top of a ladder on a building's fire escape as a chokepoint.

Actually in the comics someone actually did something like that. Stood on one side of a fence and jammed some kind of sharp object, don't remember, into there heads.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 05:01:17 PM by freakazoid »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2010, 04:57:17 PM »
a "war hammer" with a really long handle would work too.