Author Topic: .45 vs 9mm, a new perspective?  (Read 14201 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
.45 vs 9mm, a new perspective?
« on: October 22, 2010, 06:13:05 PM »
The Remmy 700 thread got me thinking and I didn't want to steal any more of it than I already have  :facepalm: so I thought I'd take this here.

Let's say you have gotten past the whole 45 vs 9mm thing by maintaining both. In a total SHTF scenario where you're two gunning it which hand gets the .45, which hand gets the 9mm and why? Strong hand vs weak hand not left right.  ;)

[popcorn]
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: .45 vs 9mm, a new perspective?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 06:21:13 PM »
.45 in the strong hand.  9mm in the weak hand as a club  :P
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 06:29:40 PM »
9mm in the strong hand, .45 in the weak.

The .45 platform is heavier, helping with the recoil control.  Also, if I'm only shooting snap-shots at a target intermittently, I'm going to do it more often with my strong hand than my weak.  I'll have more rounds to do that with 15-20 rounds of 9mm in the strong hand, than only 8-13 rounds of .45acp.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

taurusowner

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 07:00:05 PM »
Well I'm guessing "I sold my only .45 to a buddy to I could have one unified handgun caliber, 9mm" or "I would toss the .45 to a buddy so we could both be more effective" are invalid answers.  I would say 9mm in weak hand .45 in strong hand.  It would better to take more aimed shots with the .45 as you have less rounds to do it with, while allowing the extra high capacity of the 9mm take on more of a suppressive fire role with not-so-well-aimed weak hand shots.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 07:03:34 PM »
I don't need to sully myself with the .45 when I have a 9mm for each hand already....  =D

Besides, if the .45ACP was such a great cartridge, why didn't John Browning chamber the High Power in it?....  :angel:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 08:47:33 PM »
I don't know but I'm sure he had a good reason.  :laugh:

BTW, I agree, 9mm strong / .45 weak and for all the above reasons.  ;)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 08:55:46 PM »
In my SHTF/TEOTWAWKI scenario if I'm 2-gunning it my shelter-in-place place is being over-run so it really does not matter much to me.

I'm too old, unhealthy, unfit and unable, let alone unwilling, to run & gun.  When folks are being kind they refer to folks like me as the rear guard.  When they are not being kind they make copmments about the amount of ammo that was left behind with that fat old bastige and how he better be making kills with it instead of just delaying the enemy.

Now, how about if we discuss claymore clacker levers against the fingers vs. against the palm of the hand?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 08:58:20 PM »
Neither. .40 in both. 
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 09:00:18 PM »
Neither. If I have two functional hands, a rifle or shotgun is in my hands.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 09:09:52 PM »
9mm in the strong hand, .45 in the weak.

The .45 platform is heavier, helping with the recoil control.  Also, if I'm only shooting snap-shots at a target intermittently, I'm going to do it more often with my strong hand than my weak.  I'll have more rounds to do that with 15-20 rounds of 9mm in the strong hand, than only 8-13 rounds of .45acp.
^^^This^^^

...if I hadn't sold my .45 for a Model 59 and extra magazines to go with the P-11 I already have in my weak hand. They share magazines ya know.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 09:10:09 PM »
It's to be assumed you are fighting your way to your rifle.  [ar15]

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 09:11:55 PM »
In my SHTF/TEOTWAWKI scenario if I'm 2-gunning it my shelter-in-place place is being over-run so it really does not matter much to me.

I'm too old, unhealthy, unfit and unable, let alone unwilling, to run & gun.  When folks are being kind they refer to folks like me as the rear guard.  When they are not being kind they make copmments about the amount of ammo that was left behind with that fat old bastige and how he better be making kills with it instead of just delaying the enemy.

Now, how about if we discuss claymore clacker levers against the fingers vs. against the palm of the hand?

stay safe.
Ever read "For Whom the Bell Tolls" ?  ;)

They won't let me have any claymores so I don't know.  =|

taurusowner

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 09:26:06 PM »
I never really got the whole "fighting your way to your rifle" thing.  Is there some scenario where someone has discarded a functioning rifle that they need to get back to?  Not to thread drift too much, but I've seen that "the only thing a pistol is good for in combat is fighting your way back to your rifle" comment A LOT on other gun forums.  A:  in a true SHTF scenario, a rifle is way too obvious for you to carry it around in the first place.  A concealed pistol with reloads, and friends with concealed pistols are really far more effective than trying to walk around in public with a rifle.  SHTF is all about trying to blend in and avoid being hassled by either the authorities or bad guys.  And a slung rifle calls attention to you like few other things can.  B: in actual combat, a pistol is awesome as a secondary weapon if your rifle malfunctions or you're out of rounds.  But you're not going to toss your rifle aside in any case.  And if it was messed up to the point where you would toss it aside, why are you fighting your way back to it?

Sorry to thread jack, and with something somewhat off the wall, but this thread gave me the chance to bring up something that I've wondered about for some time.  So, does anyone know exactly where the phrase "fighting your way back to your rifle" came from?

280plus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 09:31:28 PM »
You realize of course that was tongue in cheek and in direct reference to exactly what you're talking about. But since you asked, my rifle is in the safe and in this particular case I have my pistols but my next step is to get to my rifle because the S has HTF that bad:O

280plus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 09:33:51 PM »
I think we'll be needing some 8 sided dice or something for this pretty soon.  :lol:

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 09:45:43 PM »
Shtf.  9mm till I run out.  One .45 to the brain pan. [ar15] [ar15]
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 11:18:50 PM »
Let's say you have gotten past the whole 45 vs 9mm thing by maintaining both.

Check.

In a total SHTF scenario where you're two gunning it which hand gets the .45, which hand gets the 9mm and why? Strong hand vs weak hand not left right.  ;)

[popcorn]

From the current armory, 9 first, two handed grip.  It's point and click easy and twice the capacity of the .45.  Shoot to slide lock & hope the zombies go away.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 11:25:28 PM »
I never really got the whole "fighting your way to your rifle" thing.  Is there some scenario where someone has discarded a functioning rifle that they need to get back to?

The rifle might be in the trunk of the car in an imagined SHTF scenario.

So, does anyone know exactly where the phrase "fighting your way back to your rifle" came from?

It's usually attributed to Col. Jeff Cooper.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 11:54:46 PM »
It's not "back" in any event, the original statement was just "fighting your way to your rifle".
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 12:04:11 AM »
A:  in a true SHTF scenario, a rifle is way too obvious for you to carry it around in the first place.  A concealed pistol with reloads, and friends with concealed pistols are really far more effective than trying to walk around in public with a rifle.  SHTF is all about trying to blend in and avoid being hassled by either the authorities or bad guys.  And a slung rifle calls attention to you like few other things can.

That's not at all what some people mean by SHTF. In the more Wild West version of SHTF, everyone's carrying great big guns, so your FAL blends right in.

"Fighting your way to your rifle," assumes that you weren't expecting combat, so you were just carrying a sidearm. Once you figure out that mutant zombie bears are chasing you, you make your way to a long gun.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2010, 12:07:51 AM »
Uh, there's a variety of SHTF scenarios where a rifle is extrmely useful.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2010, 01:00:05 AM »
That's not at all what some people mean by SHTF. In the more Wild West version of SHTF, everyone's carrying great big guns, so your FAL blends right in.

"Fighting your way to your rifle," assumes that you weren't expecting combat, so you were just carrying a sidearm. Once you figure out that mutant zombie bears are chasing you, you make your way to a long gun.

Fighting your way to your rifle in any SHTF means you somehow let it get out of arms reach. Not a good thing. You don't have to be expecting combat to be ready for it.

I like my .45's. I'd have my XD two handed with my Combat Commander for backup. If I'm shooting one in each hand I have the same weapons. Because I'm SOL and my wife has the Browning and the Tokerov, while I have the back door and I'm already out of all my rifle and shotgun ammo.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 01:10:18 AM »
Fighting your way to your rifle in any SHTF means you somehow let it get out of arms reach. Not a good thing. You don't have to be expecting combat to be ready for it.

So you always carry a long gun? Always? Of course not. They make pistols for a reason.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2010, 07:10:23 AM »
Ever read "For Whom the Bell Tolls" ?  ;)

I can haz Ingrid Bergman?  Woot!

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2010, 09:28:20 AM »
Uh, there's a variety of SHTF scenarios where a rifle is extrmely useful.

In Israel?  Yeah, I can imagine a few.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.