Author Topic: The First Word in Bacon is pronounced "Bake"  (Read 28303 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: The First Word in Bacon is pronounced "Bake"
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2010, 10:46:02 PM »
I fry it in a cast iron skillet, I like my bacon soft. Goes perfectly with with over-light or sunny side up eggs.

Underdone bacon and underdone eggs.  Shudder  :mad:  How can you do that to a good breakfast? 

Baking bacon might be easier, but pan frying still tastes better no matter how you slice it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010, 04:55:28 PM »
Baking bacon might be easier, but pan frying still tastes better no matter how you slice it.

I baked a pound today, but I only baked it for 18 minutes.  It was done enough to eat. it is now in the freezer.
When I use it, I will crisp it up more in the microwave.

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2010, 05:40:33 PM »
I work in food service and have cooked a lot of bacon. A rough estimate is that I have cooked close to 4000lbs. of bacon in the past 6 years. At one kitchen it would take a team of four cooks a full four hours just to lay it out prior to cooking. When we have the numbers right and time to prepare in advance all the bacon is placed on sheet trays, over parchment paper, and baked at a maximum of 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes, with extra time or rotations to account for oven variances.

When I'm in a rush........ the bacon is deep fried. It works better than you would expect, but the french fries and hash browns would have a little extra kick until the grease is changed. Some kitchens do not have separate "vegetarian friendly" fryers so pork fat contamination was not an issue. Coconut shrimp was also a notorious grease contaminator.

IMO the oven is a superior method for cooking bacon. If you start the bacon in a cold oven (no preheating) it will cook slowly and allow the heavy fat to render off before the lean meat has a chance to burn. The final product has less overall fat, more completely cooked and rendered fat remaining, and lean meat that has not been overcooked. True, the skillet is more convenient when all you want is some quick bacon and eggs or if you like to fry your eggs in bacon fat, but if you just spend the extra 20 minutes drinking coffee while the bacon cooks you will be rewarded.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 08:10:49 PM »
I don't like bacon unless it is crispy.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2010, 09:11:41 PM »
I don't like bacon unless it is crispy.

Baking it will give you delightfully crisp (not crunchy) bacon.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2010, 10:52:51 PM »
all the bacon is placed on sheet trays, over parchment paper, and baked at a maximum of 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes, with extra time or rotations to account for oven variances.

I am a long-time devotee of baking bacon. I put a cooling rack on a sheet pan, lay the bacon on it and put it into a cold oven and crank it up to 400 degrees.  It takes about 15 minutes. This also gives me nice clean bacon drippings to save in a jar in the fridge.

Is there an advantage to 325 degrees?  I wonder if there would be less shrinkage.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2010, 12:07:30 AM »
I wonder if there would be less shrinkage.

That's what she said.   =D

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2010, 01:51:43 AM »
The advantage of using a lower temperature is that the fat has more time to cook before the lean meat over cooks. When the bacon fat has time to cook slowly a lot of the heavy grease drains off and the remaining fat is just as crisp as the leaner meat. I realize there is no accounting for taste (personally I like my bacon without any snap at all) but if you ask someone why half their bacon was thrown away or left on the plate they usually respond by saying the fat is unhealthy so they won't eat it. Somehow this never stops them from eating a dozen pieces of bacon  ;/ Generally they just don't like the texture and won't chew the fat.

Cooking the fat so it is edible, without being objectionably chewy, has actually became a conservation technique. The edible yield of bacon increases with this method particularly when you're serving fussy eaters. Also, in a food service environment, cooking more slowly helps to even out the variation in our equipment. The lower the temperature the more even the heating. I have sacrificed a lot of bacon to the hot spots in our convection ovens and as a general rule to all large scale cooking operations, the more I'm cooking the lower the temperature. This is mostly in regards to meat but if I'm baking off cookies, cornbread, garlic bread, etc. I will lower the temp within reason as much as possible, say from 400 to 325.

Come to think of it, I don't understand why the same people who won't eat a small piece of fat are the same people who don't think twice about sawing through hunks of overdone meat, using more time and twice the effort of chewing just to help it slide down their throat. I don't think chewing was the problem. Just poor taste  =)

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2010, 09:45:36 PM »
While this isn't bacon per say...it does have some merit to this thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS5RmIkzkGw
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2010, 01:35:50 AM »
You know Grebnaws, you could post a narrated video of your bulk bacon cooking process to Youtube and garner 1000's of hits.

I know I would watch the hell out of it.

And wouldn't be amazing that along with the ice cream trucks that come through the neighborhood there were bacon trucks? So you're too lazy to cook right then or you need to go shopping first and then you hear the "oink oink oink" song of the bacon truck coming down your street...

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2010, 08:22:32 PM »
Here's a place that serves burgers that are half ground beef and half BACON!!

I shall make a pilgrimage in the next year.

It, along with other places, was featured on a show called Bacon Paradise on the Travel Channel.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2010, 08:42:38 PM »
Holy hell! They have a bacon brownie on the dessert menu! I'm thinkin' they might be worth a detour the next time I have to go to San Diego.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2010, 08:52:16 PM »
San Diego?

Maybe you should try Hash House A Go Go

Another place featured on the show.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2010, 08:56:50 PM »
San Diego?

Bookmarked!

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2010, 10:53:34 PM »
Your link says it all.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2010, 11:16:55 PM »
I had my physical last week, and the doc said my cholesterol levels are hovering somewhere in the stratosphere.  When I asked if we could have bacon and eggs for breakfast this morning, SWMBO informed me my bacon days are over.  Apparently she does not want me to vapor lock on her watch.
I don't know if I can go on living.   :'(
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2010, 11:41:32 PM »
I had my physical last week, and the doc said my cholesterol levels are hovering somewhere in the stratosphere.  When I asked if we could have bacon and eggs for breakfast this morning, SWMBO informed me my bacon days are over.  Apparently she does not want me to vapor lock on her watch.
I don't know if I can go on living.   :'(

Compromise, tell her to cook you bacon and oatmeal. =D
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2010, 10:05:41 AM »
Rocketman, just do what one of my buddies does -- take Lipitor specifically so you can keep eating bacon.  =D

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2010, 10:28:37 AM »
i had watched a reprt on how bill clinton has gone veggie, after he recieved that stint.  when i was talkinh with a friend, he told me how his dad had two stints already, and didn't plan on changing his diet 'cause they worked really well.  it's always the third stint that's the problem, i guess!

just cooked a pound of "maple" bacon this morning.  i am definetly a fan of the bake pprocess.  this is the second time i am trying it since this thread came out, and both times it has worked great.  i have lowered the temp to 325 as it makes a little less mess in the oven.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2010, 10:25:22 PM »
Rocketman, just do what one of my buddies does -- take Lipitor specifically so you can keep eating bacon.  =D

The doc gave me a free 30 day supply of Simvastatin.  The ongoing prescription $4.00/month, from Target, less my employee discount.  Pretty cheap.
SWMBO has become one of those anti-statin folks, really doesn't want me to use it.  The doc does say there are some serious side effects if it goes wrong.  I'm really torn.
But there is bacon...
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2010, 10:33:11 PM »
What if you wrap the pill in a layer of protective bacon before taking it?  The power of bacon could protect you!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2010, 11:10:14 PM »
That is a fine idea, 41magsnub.  =D

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2010, 11:08:32 AM »
The doc gave me a free 30 day supply of Simvastatin.  The ongoing prescription $4.00/month, from Target, less my employee discount.  Pretty cheap.
SWMBO has become one of those anti-statin folks, really doesn't want me to use it.  The doc does say there are some serious side effects if it goes wrong.  I'm really torn.
But there is bacon...

On a serious note (but of course bacon eating IS serious), for a couple of years I had borderline high cholesterol. My doctor, who is pretty anti pill popping, gave me a recommended diet for all three meals. I already exercise pretty regularly, so he figured sticking to the diet would work for me. I of course couldn't stick to the crappy no bacon diet, and two physicals ago, my cholesterol went "over the border". Not super high, but high enough so that Dr anti-drugs was threatening to put me on Lipitor. 

He ended up giving me one last chance. What I basically ended up doing was buckling down on just one meal - breakfast. Instead of donuts, pancakes, and other stuff like that, I have the following: One cup of blueberry yogurt. One half cup of oatmeal mixed with half a banana, a handful of Costco frozen blueberries, a spoonful of honey, and a couple of tablespoons of Platinum Performance (recommended by my Doctor who also uses it, and originally made for horses :)  ). I wash it down with a cup of coffee.

I did this for a year, and the cholesterol results from my last physical were a VAST improvement, putting me all the way down in the "no worries" zone. The only other changes I made are that I don't eat as much pizza and pizza related products as I used to (which was a lot), and cut down a bit on the fast food burgers, replacing them with burgers I throw on the BBQ instead. When I do get fast food, I skip the fries. I'll often order two burgers instead of a burger and fries.

I still eat bacon at least once a week, still order a pizza once in a while, and on weekends will still have a pancake breakfast or some donuts. Though usually on Sunday mornings before my major gym workout of the week, I'll have a muscle milk smoothie mixed with bananas and blueberries.

I'm glad that this worked for me, and that my regular Doctor was really pushing the non-meds solution for me. At the same time I was getting my regular physicals, I was getting flight physicals for work, and the Flight Surgeon was really pushing the pills. He believes everyone should take Lipitor whether they need it or not, just like a daily vitamin.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2010, 12:41:06 PM »
San Diego?

Bacon waffle???  I must know more details on this!