Author Topic: The First Word in Bacon is pronounced "Bake"  (Read 28305 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: The First Word in Bacon is pronounced "Bake"
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2010, 03:45:03 PM »
As I recall they took cooked bacon and laid it in strips in the bottom form of their waffle maker and then poured in the batter and viola bacon-waffle!
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2010, 05:41:37 AM »
I've got a couple of duroc feeder pigs. They are about 12 weeks old and still sort of cute. My 3 year old grand daughter likes to go and see them if she is at the house at feeding time.
She knows pigs are made of bacon.
And Ham.
Smart girl.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2010, 09:27:10 AM »
She knows pigs are made of bacon.
And Ham.
Smart girl.

Don't forget to tell her about pulled pork....can't have her education being incomplete now, can we?....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2011, 05:49:57 PM »
On the Travel Channel tonight, 01/06/11 (check local listings for time, CST listed below)

7:00pm - 8:00pm, TRAVEL (33)
Bacon Paradise
The country's best bacon dishes are sampled from coast to coast.

TVG (CC)             close
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2011, 05:59:53 PM »
^^^ Sir, you have my undying gratitude for providing this information.  Please accept the thanks of a grateful APS. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2011, 06:52:16 PM »
On the Travel Channel tonight, 01/06/11 (check local listings for time, CST listed below)

7:00pm - 8:00pm, TRAVEL (33)
Bacon Paradise
The country's best bacon dishes are sampled from coast to coast.

TVG (CC)             close

Sure glad I tuned into APS 2nite! Got it on speed dial.

Mmmm! Slater's 50/50! Bacon burgers with bacon...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 08:16:16 PM by Sergeant Bob »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2011, 09:18:36 PM »
Here's a place that serves burgers that are half ground beef and half BACON!!

I made some 1/2 beef 1/2 bacon patties today and they were OK, nothing spectacular. Of course they probably use higher grade meats than I do, plus have a recipe they've worked out and are professionals so they likely can put together a much better product than I can. 

Since I would be grinding  it I purchased the odds and ends package of irregular bacon pieces that were not fit to go in the normal packaging. Cheaper and just as good and had a nice variety of thicknesses and fat content so I think I'm only going to buy that from now on.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2011, 11:08:19 PM »
Out of a sense of morbid curiosity I tired the oven method of cooking bacon.

crap.

It was just as good and maybe a bit better than cooking it in my big ole cast iron skillet. and it sure made less of a mess.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2011, 05:57:22 PM »
Out of a sense of morbid curiosity I tired the oven method of cooking bacon.

crap.

It was just as good and maybe a bit better than cooking it in my big ole cast iron skillet. and it sure made less of a mess.

Delightful innit?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2011, 12:02:40 AM »
I used to bake my bacon, but I've discovered the bacon press. I heat up the pan with the press (a circle of ridged cast-iron with a handle) in it, then put in the bacon and put the press back on top. It keeps the bacon flat and seems to have improved the texture and flavor, at least in the couple batches I've tried.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2011, 01:02:55 AM »
This thread needs to be pinned to the top of the forum as the "Official Bacon thread."

I just found a site called Bacon of the month club.  Bacon shipped to your door every month. [popcorn]  
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

brimic

• friends
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2011, 10:32:30 AM »
For darn near perfectly cooked bacon, put it in the oven on a foiled cookie sheet, bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.

Ayep. Just learned this from my Mom when I was home for the holidays, except she lines the cookie sheets with parchment paper. Bacon never tasted so good.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2011, 10:46:54 AM »
Well, seeing how I haven't read this one at all but it keeps popping back up I thought I'd just mention I had EXTRA THICK bacon this morning with the French Toast.  ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

just Warren

• friend

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2011, 08:23:51 AM »
Then, take it out at 15 minutes, and cover with brown sugar and ground pecans.   =)

A slight variation to your recipe: http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2009/01/pig-candy-aka-brown-sugar-bacon.html
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2011, 11:13:29 AM »
I always use brown sugar when I bake my bacon. I'm gonna have to give that brown sugar + chili powder variation a whirl though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2011, 04:35:40 PM »
Now that the bacon turned out so good, I am going to bake sausage and see if it can turn out as good.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2011, 12:59:31 PM »
Whu cars aboot speling?

http://www.thebredafallacy.com/2011/02/youre.html

Whin your write yore wright.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2011, 12:35:50 PM »
Now that the bacon turned out so good, I am going to bake sausage and see if it can turn out as good.
Cooked 1 1/2 lb link sausage for about 30 minutes,  and just have to heat 30 seconds.  Time saver.

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2011, 08:00:52 PM »
:) My SO is outta town and left me alone with the bread machine.
I've completed the first of my experiments: CinnaBacon Nut

It's ok but on the bland side, could be sweeter and more baconey.
I used on handful+ of real bacon chopped. next time I'd use two+ and add probably less than a 1/4tsp of salt and use more sugar and cinnamon.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2011, 08:17:45 PM »
:) My SO is outta town and left me alone with the bread machine.
I've completed the first of my experiments: CinnaBacon Nut

It's ok but on the bland side, could be sweeter and more baconey.
I used on handful+ of real bacon chopped. next time I'd use two+ and add probably less than a 1/4tsp of salt and use more sugar and cinnamon.

If at first you don't succeed, and all that.  Let us know how the second batch comes out.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2011, 11:26:05 PM »
liquid meat:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWPRqDs9Ywk

Jones bacon soda.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2011, 11:31:08 PM »
i made some moar bacon turtles tonight
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2011, 11:52:19 PM »
I had my bacon for diner tonight. I ate at least 3/4 of a pound.

My BBQ bean recipe starts with 2 pounds of bacon. Sometimes I forget to put the rest of the stuff in it.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2011, 02:07:55 PM »
Me and the dog are grilling up some bacon and beer outside for brunch. Then we're throwing some fillets on and she gets a whole one on account of it's her birthday.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."