Author Topic: Pirates grab another US boat and 4 people.  (Read 15613 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Pirates grab another US boat and 4 people.
« on: February 19, 2011, 11:38:04 AM »
4 Americans sailing on a US registered yacht.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/02/18/somali-mission-pirates-capture-4-americans-1489294761/?test=latestnews

I was surprised to learn that the pirates have been torturing their captives. I think it is about time to wipe Somalia off the African map.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: Pirates grab another US boat and 4 people.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 11:48:37 AM »
 :facepalm:

Millions for defense but not one penny for tribute.

Not very applicable to this private yacht, but as an aside the various countries and corporations in the world need to stop paying these ransoms and start issuing crew served weapons to their ships. After a few dozen pirate dhows get riddled with 20mm they just might start considering alternate employment.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 12:03:04 PM »
Is the U.S. Navy still set up to launch frogmen from submarines under water? A sailing yacht (cruising type) typically isn't all that fast and it would seem within the realm of possibility to get a few SEALs in the water ahead of the boat at night from a sub, and conduct a boarding.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 12:09:45 PM »
A U.S. military spokesman at Central Command in Florida said: "We're aware of the situation and we continue to monitor it."

Yesirreebob, let's keep hammering them with monitoring, harder and harder, until they stop.

That orta do the trick, by golly.

Ayup.

Terry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 12:19:30 PM »
Park a carrier in the area and every time a ship leaves a Somali harbor, sink it.  Then after a week, offer a bounty on every pirate head.  The Somali people will do our work for us.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 12:23:41 PM »
"All relevant U.S. agencies are monitoring the situation, working to develop further information, assess options and possible responses,"

Somebody needs to give the word to get off their assesses and implement the only possible response - which also happens to be the reasonable response.  In this case the pirates need to be stopped before they get back to dry land.  That's what helicopters and arial refuling are for.

There comes a time when it is necessary to make certain sacrifices in order to deal with a situation such as piracy.  While I admit that "it sucks to be you" is easy to say while I'm sitting here behind my keyboard, I'm fairly certain that I would say "sucks to be me" if I were one of the four aboard the yacht.  Piracy was ended in the 19th century when the cost of doing business as a pirate got to be too high.  Not only did pirates know that they would suffer death but that while they waited for death to catch up with them they would not be able enjoy the fruits of their work in leisure.  That old "watching over the shoulder" thing gets tiresome.  It's more than time to put a known effective solution back into practice.

I'm fairly certain that international law still says that going into the territory of another country in persuit of pirates is not an act of war.  Also, I'm not convinced that Somalia actually qualifies as an actual "country", given its lack of any actual government.  And for those that want to step up and say it has an actual government, I ask them to point me to what steps that government has taken against the piracy being committed.  If there were no steps taken, then that government supports piracy, thus forfieting its right to protection under international law.

I say that while the US "monitor the situation, work to develop further information, assess[es] options and possible responses" we hand-deliver a Letter of Marque to Congress and then walk it over to the White House and instruct Obama to sign it.  
after ratification of the Constitution, Congress authorized and the President signed Letters of Marque. A ship owner would send in an application stating the name, description, tonnage and force (armaments) of the vessel, the name and residence of the owner, the intended number of crew, and tendered a bond promising strict observance of the country's laws and treaties, and of international laws and customs. The commission was granted to the vessel, not to its captain, often for a limited time or specified area, and stated the enemy upon whom attacks were permitted.

While they are doing that they can tell the DoD to mothball a ship or two and then give them to us to use in creating artificial reefs in order to stimulate the fishing industry (our disposition of the ships condemned to us).  
Nations often by treaty agreed to forego privateering, as England and France repeatedly did starting with the diplomatic overtures of Edward III in 1324; privateering nonetheless recurred in every war between them for the next 500 years.[25] Benjamin Franklin in 1792 attempted to persuade the French to lead by example and stop issuing Letters of Marque to their corsairs, but the effort floundered when war loomed with Britain once again.[26] Finally after the Congress of Paris at the end of the Crimean War, seven European nations signed the Paris Declaration of 1856 renouncing privateering, and forty-five more eventually joined them, which in effect abolished privateering worldwide.[27] The United States was not a signatory to that declaration because it advocated protecting all civilian property on the high seas. (emphasis added)

Other than getting Obama to sign the darned thing, anybody see a flaw that needs to be addressed?

stay safe.

If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 12:45:31 PM »
The couple... has been distributing Bibles in places including Fiji, Alaska, New Zealand, Central America and French Polynesia.

http://www.svquest.com/

They're proselytizing.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 01:51:48 PM »

They're proselytizing.

So? Are you saying that it's acceptable or legal to pirate prosletyzing Christians?

The Gideons distribute Bibles to hotels. Mormans distribute copies of the Book of Morman. Is it okay to kidnap their representatives while they make the rounds?

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 02:24:15 PM »
 I hope B.O sends in the Seals but being that they're evangelist of some kind I don't expect it.
To bad they didn't arm themselves.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

tyme

• expat
  • friend
    • TFL Library
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 02:26:42 PM »
So? Are you saying that it's acceptable or legal to pirate prosletyzing Christians?

Who am I to question God's will?
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 02:34:55 PM »

I'm at a loss as to what you're getting at.

What does what they were doing have to do with their kidnapping and [possible] torture?

We could have a decent conversation on whether or not sailing around that part of the world distributing bibles is a good idea from a personal safety standpoint. (probably not), but I really don't think whatever their (legal) activities might have been they deserved to get attacked by pirates for it. And I think it's reasonable for the US to use force to recover US citizens that are kidnapped in international waters, regardless of their book of choice.

So help me out, what does their distribution of bibles have to do with their kidnapping, or what actions the US should take in response to that kidnapping?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 02:36:47 PM »

They're proselytizing.
Doesn't matter. I doubt the pirates bother to do any research before attacking a vessel.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 02:38:08 PM »

Even though I'm a Christian and all, that's freaking funny!

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

tyme

• expat
  • friend
    • TFL Library
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 03:25:15 PM »
This couple and their entourage sail around the world trying to convert people to their religion.  They seem to be unable to convert the pirates who hijacked them.  I find that rather amusing.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 08:01:26 PM »
This couple and their entourage sail around the world trying to convert people to their religion.  They seem to be unable to convert the pirates who hijacked them.  I find that rather amusing.
Why don't you just come out and say you hate Christians.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 08:28:20 PM »

Maybe I'm just dense. I fail to see anything even remotely amusing about it.

Perhaps if you were taken captive by Muslim pirates and tried unsuccessfully to convert them to atheism you'd feel differently.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 08:31:09 PM »
I say we use the APS Sugar Mama as a strike vessel to liberate the USS Iowa from California's clutches and take a tour of Africa's East Coast.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 11:19:50 PM »
I say we use the APS Sugar Mama as a strike vessel to liberate the USS Iowa from California's clutches and take a tour of Africa's East Coast.

Here here! We wouldn't even have to get any of the weapons going. Between tonnage and armor plating we'd get the job done.
Look, tiny text!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011, 11:45:04 PM »
Here here! We wouldn't even have to get any of the weapons going.

But it would be oh so much more satisfying if we did.  >:D
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 12:23:58 AM »
Is the U.S. Navy still set up to launch frogmen from submarines under water? A sailing yacht (cruising type) typically isn't all that fast and it would seem within the realm of possibility to get a few SEALs in the water ahead of the boat at night from a sub, and conduct a boarding.
i vote for surfacing directly under the boat. >:D

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 12:50:24 AM »
i vote for an emergencysurfacing directly aimed at the underside of the boat. >:D

FIFY.

No need to thank me. ;/

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 04:44:07 AM »
I will again point out that we can skip the US Congress and Obama if we get the APS Fistful's Fault commissioned a as ship of HRH of Sealand's Navy.

HRH of Sealand gets a cut of whatever rewards we get fro saving/rescuing/preventing priate attacks and we get to keep the rest.  We work with close cooperation of all friendly warships in the area (NATO and former East Bloc, plus anyone else out there battling pirates (Indians, et al).

They give us intel, maybe some spare ammo that just happens to fall off the back of the deck ;), and food, and we go in a do what needs to be done.

All we need is a decent ship (The Iowa, while a really cool idea, is just to big), something that can be run by 15-20 of us fools, and heavily armed.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2011, 08:19:10 AM »
I could make some recommendations if you're serious.  ;)

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2011, 08:28:13 AM »
Anti Pirate vessel for sale in Africa

We need a helicopter though.

ETA: Like this one  God bless google.  Micro will have to translate the manuals for us.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 08:33:32 AM by dogmush »

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2011, 08:51:31 AM »
I thought Sikorski had a few spare helicopters for sale cheap? Some order that got canceled.
Avoid cliches like the plague!