Author Topic: The dog debate.  (Read 23609 times)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: The dog debate.
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2011, 09:30:41 PM »
Quote from: never_retreat
I have known 1 German Shepard that killed a bugler...

Can't say I blame it.  Trumpets are okay, I loves me some good sax, but bugles tend to just grate on me.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2011, 10:15:11 PM »
Best Bud is 16 yr old GSD/Lab bitch. Got her form a boy that had a Lab bitch that came into season the first time. He came home to find a GSD dog climbing out of her pen. She's never bitten but scared hell out of a few. Very smart, usual obedience training. "Dakota, hush, he's a friend!" she pretty much loses interest. But don't pose a threat to the wife!

#2 is a 4 yr old Labradoodle. Fearsome bark when he thinks it's worth the effort. About as laid back as they come. Both take a lot of brushing. esp the old gal. #2 get sheared come sping.

Avoid the herders, they MUST herd!!

Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2011, 10:26:19 PM »
Out side of a few working lines of the various shepherd breeds no dogs are bred to have an "instinct" to hurt humans. Some of the terriers are snappy, some of the herders are nippy, and a lot of breeds from a lot of groups are territorial. But this "bred to kill" foolishness is about on par with how EBR's are designed to shoot up schools.  ;/ If your dog mauls your kid, 99.9% of the time it's the owner's fault not some mysterious "killer instinct."

I gotta agree, the smartest ranch dog here is an aussie herding dog that due to my senility I cant recall what the breed is named. He will nip you to keep you from walking somewhere -not hard but he likes you to walk where he wants.

ets aussie border collie! i recomembered! ... anyway, has anyone mentioned Airdales? they're good doggies.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 10:34:52 PM by gunsmith »
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2011, 08:56:21 AM »
Bullmastiff's were trained to run down poachers and hold them
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2011, 10:39:04 AM »
Shelters will tend to play down pit bull as being part of a dog's mix for obvious reasons. Max the Wonder Dog is a Black Lab "mix" and the shelter claimed the other part was beagle. Nuh uhhh, I can see the pit in there and there ain't no way he's got any beagle in him. His problem is he's the biggest wimp on the planet so the pit part is a non issue.  :lol:

I'd suggest checking you local shelters and rescue places but that's always been the way I've gotten dogs.

And as far as the debate, dogs rule cats drool, debate over.  ;)

Avoid cliches like the plague!

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2011, 10:42:57 AM »
I gotta agree, the smartest ranch dog here is an aussie herding dog that due to my senility I cant recall what the breed is named.
Austrailian Shepherd?
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2011, 11:11:02 AM »
Austrailian Shepherd?

Red/Blue Heeler?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2011, 12:10:37 PM »
Aussies are good. Well, they were awesome before the AKC got ahold of them. Now they're being shown five inches too big and being breed with too much white in the coat.

The aussie is a good example why the border collie club will not write a comformation breed standard. they breed with no emphasis on looks and all emphasis on what the dogs are supossed to do. Makes it a lot harder for idiots to come im a screw up a popular breed.

And yes, gunsmith, you mentioned airdales. Yes, they are cool dogs. If anyone wants one, I know a good breeder and can hook you up.
But for the purposes of this, I think they got vetoed. Grooming, gunsmith, they require grooming. Any dog that doesn't shed out a lot or any coat REQUIRES grooming! (note that some of the worst shedders are real short houndy coats. my beagle shed more then the huskies  :lol:)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2011, 12:25:38 PM »
A Jack Russell Terrier might fit what you need. Make sure to get one in the opposite sex of your current dog.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2011, 12:28:20 PM »
Newfies. I love newfoundlands. They are not that big. I know a breeder, so once again, if somebody wants to go that route, shoot me a pm and i'll get you a number. Deb T. dogs are about mid thiegh high on me and i'm short. She doesn't breed the monster oversized dogs. Really cute, but the breed as a whole, not the brightest cryons in the box. And they are droolers.  ;)

But the coat. It is work. Lots of mind numbing labor.

Ridgebacks are taller, but lighter. The only ones i've really had experiance with were a little on the aggressive side. Except one cross, who was very sweet, but nevouse (shelter dog that must have had a rough time and got timid)

As or huskie training. Ours were obediance trained and had titles. It didn't really matter. They still did crazy stuff. Some breeds really have selective hearing. In other words, they go 'deaf' if you want them to do one thing, and they want to do something else. Huskies are one of those breeds. So are anatolians.  ;/
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2011, 12:29:16 PM »
A Jack Russell Terrier might fit what you need. Make sure to get one in the opposite sex of your current dog.

I swear, nobody reads my posts.  :facepalm:

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2011, 12:32:33 PM »

Did you mention a jack russell? I saw other terrier comments from you.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2011, 12:36:35 PM »
Two breeds for you to look up.

Norwegian Elkhound. They are in your size range, with the right look. Beyond that i'm not much help. I've had very little contact with the breed. But it is fairly commen in the us.

Another one, is the Shiba Inu. Another japanese dog. They are perhaps a bit tinier then you want, also a bit on tthe wild, no-no bad dog side of things. But they have lots of character and are very sweet.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2011, 12:37:52 PM »
Did you mention a jack russell? I saw other terrier comments from you.

Jacks were included in the catagory. And yes, although perhaps I should habe capitalized 'jr'

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2011, 01:20:25 PM »
You posted?  ???

:P
Avoid cliches like the plague!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2011, 04:10:05 PM »
I just talked to katie and got her two cent on the newfies and the norwedgin elkhounds

Deb's dogs are actually a bit undersized. Which means they are perfect newfies, just smaller then what you normally see. Debs rep is solid though, and the undersized makes sense as her preferences in most breeds run towards structure and health over size, which is oppisete of a lot of less knowledgable breeders, and in my opinion, better for the breed. Her kennel name is Cypress Bay.           http://www.cypressbaynewfoundlands.com/

the elkhounds. Katie's first statement was "i like them"  :lol: she says they are very laid back, nice dogs and much more managable then huskies and malamutes. I would say that you should definatly learn more, as they seem to fit perfectly to what you want.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 04:13:50 PM by bluestarlizzard »

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2011, 04:34:04 PM »
Newfs are good (Dad has one) but they drool in buckets.

I thought that the OP said no drooling.

Bernese Mountain Dogs are excellent, but very little drooling.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2011, 04:46:53 PM »
BMD have been developing a lot of genetic issues over the past twenty or so years. It happens a lot in breeds that become an overnight 'success', as the popularity of the breed garners unwelcome attention from morons inexperanced and unscrupules breeders.

We have a client who had bernes for years and stepped away from the breed partially due to this issue. So she got leonbergers, who are now starting to get the same kind of attention.

If you go with a bernie, you have GOT to be certain of your breeder. Research, research, research.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2011, 07:37:07 PM »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2011, 10:20:48 PM »
How about a Corgi?....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_Corgi

I have a Corgi/Cocker mix....great dog....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2011, 10:46:21 PM »
I just talked to katie and got her two cent on the newfies and the norwedgin elkhounds

Deb's dogs are actually a bit undersized. Which means they are perfect newfies, just smaller then what you normally see. Debs rep is solid though, and the undersized makes sense as her preferences in most breeds run towards structure and health over size, which is oppisete of a lot of less knowledgable breeders, and in my opinion, better for the breed. Her kennel name is Cypress Bay.           http://www.cypressbaynewfoundlands.com/

the elkhounds. Katie's first statement was "i like them"  :lol: she says they are very laid back, nice dogs and much more managable then huskies and malamutes. I would say that you should definatly learn more, as they seem to fit perfectly to what you want.

I think the newfie is out, but I did run into a friend thats a vet today we did some chatting.
He had mentioned the elk hound.
The only two Akitas he met he put down. The pair killed 3 different dogs and chewed up the owner of the third one as she trying to save her dog. He has a Shiba Inu which is pretty mush the smaller version on the Akita (20 lbs) and they are a hand full.

The dog is going to be something in the Flock Guardian group. Most are good with kids other animals and a still protective.

I know someone gave me crap about the bizarre breeds I have been looking at, but I still might be looking at a odd one.
The Slovensky Cuvac, the looks of a golden (gf approved), good size 60-90lbs, good temperament, and still protective.
I like different.

How about a Corgi?....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_Corgi

I have a Corgi/Cocker mix....great dog....
Neighbor has a Corgi, nice dog not what I'm looking for. If I was going that size range I would just get a Sheltie like my parents have.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

thumbody

• friend
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2011, 07:37:33 AM »
I'm OK it's the rest of the world that's messed up

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2011, 10:31:26 AM »
Get a Maine Coon and teach him Kung Fu.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2011, 10:39:13 AM »
a neighbor has a friend with a bassador

basset /lab mix

what a goofy mutt

But its not a mutt cause now it's a boutique breed

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/jug.htm
The Jug is not a purebred dog. It is a cross between the Jack Russell Terrier and the Pug.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2011, 11:18:48 AM »
I've been thinking about getting a dog some time in the next year.  I described what I was looking for in general terms to someone who is somehow into dogs and they suggested a Tervuren.

Thoughts?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage