Author Topic: Pirates Hijack Sailboat with Children on Board  (Read 14281 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Pirates Hijack Sailboat with Children on Board
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2011, 01:30:44 AM »
We don't need to occupy the damn country, but we've got satellites and UAV's and Aircraft and billions being spent on Defense.  Surely we know where these scumbags are basing out of.   I see nothing wrong with sending in the Marines, with overwhelming fire support, to "clean out these pest holes".

Minor problem:  I can't figure out a way to make "crapholes of Somalia" scan well in the Marine Hymn.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2011, 01:50:31 AM »
Minor problem:  I can't figure out a way to make "crapholes of Somalia" scan well in the Marine Hymn.

We can start a new verse.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2011, 08:49:53 AM »
I no longer have any sympathy for anyone that gets caught by pirates over there. The nations of the world knows what goes on there, yet they do nothing about it. Shipping companies know yet very few have armed up to repel attackers. Private boat owners know yet they don't take precautions themselves and insist on traveling through that craphole.

Nope...... Piss on them. I'm all out of sympathy. The way you deal with pirates is to kill every one of them you see and destroy their boats. Until that happens pirates will continue doing what pirates do.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2011, 08:57:32 AM »
Who's going to turn them in? The pirates? Post-mission. "Ordnance jettisoned due to in-flight emergency."

Guy I know on the Russian-speaking side of the Internet has served in the Russian military as a military prosecutor immediately during, and after the fall of the USSR. They had to deal with various kinds of lawless tribal idiots. At one point, a group of people in one of the former Republics had captured a tourist resort  - bear in mind this was in the early 90s - and taken people there hostage. VDV soldiers were brought in, the jackwagons captured, hostages freed...

His relation to this? Dealing with a report from the VDV officer on how the captured terrorists "violated air travel safety regulations by leaving military aircraft during flight."
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2011, 10:14:41 AM »
Exactly how do the recon planes tell which ships and boats are the pirate ships and boats? It's kinda hard to reach down and flip a tarp over to see whats underneath when you are zipping along at 1000' AGL.

The pirate flag.

Duh.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2011, 10:44:01 AM »
I no longer have any sympathy for anyone that gets caught by pirates over there. The nations of the world knows what goes on there, yet they do nothing about it. Shipping companies know yet very few have armed up to repel attackers. Private boat owners know yet they don't take precautions themselves and insist on traveling through that craphole.

I completely agree regarding shipping companies and their perplexing refusal to arm their crews or send along some professionals to ward off boardings.

I would completely agree regarding private boaters except for what has been mentioned earlier. If this last group was really taken 1000 miles from the center of pirate activity, it would be like someone going sailing off the coast of Oregon and being taken hostage by Mexican pirates.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2011, 11:24:48 AM »
I've realized that the Piracy endemic along the African coast is really just a symptom of the disease that is Western Politics. 

Ayup.

"From the halls of Montezuma, to the ass of Africa..."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2011, 12:50:01 PM »
we need to bring back naval mines. just mine the known ports, and wait. [ar15]

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2011, 01:54:04 PM »
His relation to this? Dealing with a report from the VDV officer on how the captured terrorists "violated air travel safety regulations by leaving military aircraft during flight."

=D =D =D
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2011, 03:07:30 PM »
Isn't the main issue of having arms at sea the fact that you can't go to port anywhere?

Why can't someone start a service where hired guns board your ship before you enter the pirate area, and get off again when you are relatively safe?

A large ship positioned at each end of the danger zone with smaller boats to shuttle goonsquads to and from merchant vessels in need of protection (which presumably are always going in both directions).  As long as nobody goes ashore or leaves international waters with weapons, what's the problem?  Charge by ship size and level of protection desired.  Pay someone to bring supplies to your mother ships.  Or every once in a while, accept payment in fuel and food.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2011, 03:10:13 PM »
See?  That /\ is where you went wrong.

Using logic and reason are not permitted when attempting to resolve an international problem.

Pretty sure it's in the UN Charter.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2011, 03:14:40 PM »
the un has charter? that splans a lot. [tinfoil]

sorry, couldn't let a cableco joke go. :angel:

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2011, 04:03:48 PM »
This is just a function of will.  The entire western world is governed by castrated wimps.  Eventually we will be in a full on world war, nukes, chem, bio, the works, because the pussies in charge  (  PIS)  refused to take responsibility when the problems confronting them were solvable with conventional means.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2011, 04:07:58 PM »
This is just a function of will.  The entire western world is governed by castrated wimps.  Eventually we will be in a full on world war, nukes, chem, bio, the works, because the pussies in charge  (  PIS)  refused to take responsibility when the problems confronting them were solvable with conventional means.

I always wondered how people in the time prior to WWII couldn't see that their weakness and appeasement was just pushing the world closer and closer to war.

Now I see that it wasn't that no one could see that, it was just that not enough could see that.

And here we are again as those who have failed to learn from history are now dooming the rest of us to repeat it as well. (Thank you, American teachers, specifically.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2011, 05:28:14 PM »
"PIS"  :laugh:

Nominated for official use as a new board acronym.
I promise not to duck.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2011, 07:32:40 PM »
"PIS"  :laugh:

Nominated for official use as a new board acronym.

I second the motion.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2011, 07:37:15 PM »
I second the motion.

Before we vote could we double check our choice of letters?  I'm thinking we might want "PISC"

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2011, 07:38:15 PM »
Before we vote could we double check our choice of letters?  I'm thinking we might want "PISC"

DD

Aye
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2011, 08:40:38 PM »

DD

There's nothing wrong with an acronym that has a slight French accent ... and a lisp.

"People In Sharge."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2011, 09:54:21 PM »
There's nothing wrong with an acronym that has a slight French accent ... and a lisp.

"People In Sharge."

Okays Sid.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2011, 10:31:30 PM »
The problem we have is not that we don't do maritime surveillance.  Matter of fact we do it real good.  Our problem is lack of political will.  Both the current president and former president had the same lacking.  Now the question is "Why?"  One of the busiest shipping lanes on the planet and civilization can't seem to muster the political will to deal with it.  Again, "Why?"   
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2011, 11:08:00 PM »
The problem we have is not that we don't do maritime surveillance.  Matter of fact we do it real good.  Our problem is lack of political will.  Both the current president and former president had the same lacking.  Now the question is "Why?"  One of the busiest shipping lanes on the planet and civilization can't seem to muster the political will to deal with it.  Again, "Why?"   

Because we have PIC.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2011, 12:03:11 AM »
The problem we have is not that we don't do maritime surveillance.  Matter of fact we do it real good.    

The question may be "how do the pirates do it so good?"    Do they have intel, or are they either just lucky, or so many they cover the ocean like fleas on a dog?

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2011, 12:35:42 AM »
No, the sheep are just plain scared.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2011, 12:41:19 AM »
Isn't the main issue of having arms at sea the fact that you can't go to port anywhere?

Weren't shotguns fairly common on private seagoing vessels at one time, and more or less ignored as long as they stay on the boat while in port?

I was just thinking; my 835 with a modified choke on a 28" ported barrel puts 4 pellets of an 18 pellet 3.5" magnum 00 load on an IDPA target at 100yds with enough force to punch 1" into pine.  Targets flanking that one get 2-3 pellets each, and the gun holds 4+1 of those without an extension.  Three of those rapid firing from concealment when the pirates are ~75 yards out might not be a major bloodbath, but it should dramatically reduce their combat effectiveness. (at least to the point of making it hard to aim an RPG - concealment and suppressive shotgun fire makes aimed return fire with rifles difficult) Add in one with a slug barrel aiming for their waterline when they're days from a friendly port and you ought to be able to convince them to look for easier pickings.