Author Topic: nice video of solution to school bullying  (Read 15686 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
nice video of solution to school bullying
« on: March 14, 2011, 02:36:52 PM »
(Note: May be NSFW!) http://deadspin.com/#!5781702/the-ultimate-anti+bullying-psa-kid-fights-back-with-devastating-body-slam

looks like that hurt      good
looks like the lil sob only got bold cause he had backup   he thought
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 04:39:06 PM by Nick1911 »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: nice video of solution to school bullying
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 02:48:53 PM »
That was awesome.  I hope the little punk learned something in the process.

I've been that bigger kid before.  I was picked on a lot by one other kid in 7th grade.  It went on for a couple of months.  I ignored him until he tried to get physical which ended badly for him.  It wasn't as awesome as the wrestling move in the video, but it was pretty one sided once he started it (think Ralphie and Scott Farkus).  A teachers aid saw the whole thing and the other kid got in trouble for it, not me.  I didn't get messed with after that.

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 03:09:13 PM »
In reading the facebook page, they are saying the big kid got in trouble for this???  He stood there was punched several times, then defended himself.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 03:11:07 PM »
In reading the facebook page, they are saying the big kid got in trouble for this???  He stood there was punched several times, then defended himself.

Welcome to zero-tolerance, where it's a crime to defend yourself.

In fact, it's a crime to get attacked. Even failing to defend yourself will still get you suspended for "fighting."
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 03:14:03 PM »
The website this is on is not exactly work or home friendly.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 04:37:52 PM by Nick1911 »

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 03:18:37 PM »
Welcome to zero-tolerance, where it's a crime to defend yourself.

In fact, it's a crime to get attacked. Even failing to defend yourself will still get you suspended for "fighting."

Da, because it's obviously the victim's fault for inviting the attack. He was asking for it, doncha-know. (Now where have I heard that before?)

Had an instance like that myself in middle school. The day the bullies graduated from words to shoves they got a quick lesson that the quiet nerd had no qualms about swinging away. This of course resulted in my suspension from school. My Dad however, who was born in the 1930's, couldn't for the life of him figure out why I had been suspended.  :laugh:  Dad: "What? When I was boy we would get in fights all the time, when it was over we went back inside and carried on with our school work."

ETA: With regards to the video..... HA-HA!! *points at laughs at the hobbled bully* Yeah, I know, I shouldn't be so gleefully schadenfreude about it (karma and all that) but there is a small, picked on, inner nerd boy that is laughing hysterically.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 03:23:17 PM by kgbsquirrel »

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 04:02:15 PM »
That was awesome.  I hope the little punk learned something in the process.

I've been that bigger kid before.  I was picked on a lot by one other kid in 7th grade.  It went on for a couple of months.  I ignored him until he tried to get physical which ended badly for him.  It wasn't as awesome as the wrestling move in the video, but it was pretty one sided once he started it (think Ralphie and Scott Farkus).  A teachers aid saw the whole thing and the other kid got in trouble for it, not me.  I didn't get messed with after that.

Yes indeed that was an awesome slam. That kid was put in his place with a thud :laugh:

Had something similar to your story happen to me in the 7th grade. I was a real quiet kid in school, read more books then I spoke words I think. Anyway a group singled me out as an easy target to harass. They were wrong. I ignored it at first but that only made them ratchet it up. So one day I'm sitting in class and one of the dopes(sitting behind me) starts slapping the back of my head. At first I tried ignoring him but it was physical and he just kept hitting harder, the next thing I know I was on my feet and spun around, grabbed his desk and flipped it with him in it. No plan it just happened.
So of course throughout the rest of the day I get threats from all the people in this group about whats gonna become of me after school. Sure enough at the end of the day there were the 6 main guys of this group waiting by my bike. They said they were gonna whoop me. I put my stuff down and said right here I am. I knew just as sure that the sun would set that these guys were getting hurt today, and I think they could see that. They laughed at me and blew me off by walking away. Never had another problem or mean word said to me after that.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 04:05:58 PM »
My son goes to a private school where there is still a bit more common sense left. He has lost recess priviledges a few times due to 'giving back' after being shoved around, but no suspensions.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 04:31:43 PM »
In my high school we had a guy named Will who was enormous.  Our senior year he was 6'4" easily and an EASY 300lbs.  He was no slouch either.  Football player, dairy farming family.  He had been up with the sun his whole life.  He was a good kid: very gentle, soft-spoken and polite.

His little brother Tommy had half of the family's ration of height, and none of the weight.  He was scrawny, with big thick glasses, and the target of one group's repeated bullying.  One day after homeroom I caught Will just standing in a doorway, looking angry.  This was odd, because I had known Will for about 8 years and I had never seen him angry.  About the time I came up to him, one of Tommy's bullies walked by with two friends.  Will took a step out into the hall, laid two hands on that kid's shoulder and sent him flying like a rag doll into the lockers on the other side of the hall.  He crumpled up on the lockers, fell to the ground, and looked up to see Will standing over him.  Will stuck a massive finger in that kid's face and bellowed "You leave my brother ALONE!"

That kid just whimpered "Okay.  I'm sorry!" as his friends ran off.

To my knowledge, Will was not reprimanded, and Tommy was never bullied again.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
In my high school we had a guy named Will who was enormous.  Our senior year he was 6'4" easily and an EASY 300lbs.  He was no slouch either.  Football player, dairy farming family.  He had been up with the sun his whole life.  He was a good kid: very gentle, soft-spoken and polite.

His little brother Tommy had half of the family's ration of height, and none of the weight.  He was scrawny, with big thick glasses, and the target of one group's repeated bullying.  One day after homeroom I caught Will just standing in a doorway, looking angry.  This was odd, because I had known Will for about 8 years and I had never seen him angry.  About the time I came up to him, one of Tommy's bullies walked by with two friends.  Will took a step out into the hall, laid two hands on that kid's shoulder and sent him flying like a rag doll into the lockers on the other side of the hall.  He crumpled up on the lockers, fell to the ground, and looked up to see Will standing over him.  Will stuck a massive finger in that kid's face and bellowed "You leave my brother ALONE!"

I love heart-warming stories like this.

Too bad we don't allow brothers to protect their siblings anymore.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 04:49:43 PM »

I was easily the smallest boy in my grade almost every year.  My junior year I started running track (already a serious runner well before then) and the football coach would borrow me to run drills with his players. I improved the times of several of his linebackers who I became friends with.  I certainly didn't have any problems with anyone after that....walking around and eating lunch with two or three of the biggest dudes in school helps... :laugh:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 04:51:06 PM »
i was the same jamis  only i made friends with em by selling em pot  same end result though i was fighting a lot in high school

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 05:04:07 PM »
My son goes to a private school where there is still a bit more common sense left. He has lost recess priviledges a few times due to 'giving back' after being shoved around, but no suspensions.
Consider yourself, and your son, lucky.

I fought back at the private school I used to go to.  I was a "Yankee" living in southwestern Georgia.

When the rich parents of the spoiled bullies found out that I had "attacked their kids," I was reprimanded and threatened with expulsion.

It was my first lesson in injustice.  It was also my first lesson on how to fight ten people simultaneously and win.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 05:42:24 PM »
I've made it awful clear to my boy A) how I will skin his ass if he bullies anyone and B) how he is to respond to being hit first. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 07:08:21 PM »
My brothers and I are all skinny, and were really skinny in high school. We all had to fight bullies.

My next-oldest brother was a greaser, and was in 10th grade when we moved to WI. The high school was pretty much all jocks, which didn't help. My brother got beat up and harassed a lot. Finally he had some gorilla's he knew from another high school come over and stomp the jocks. He wasn't bothered any more.

I, however, followed him just a few years later. The younger brothers of the jocks who'd been stomped had it in for me. I didn't have any gorilla friends, so I just had to fight, and usually lose.

There was one guy who was worse than the rest. He was in the Golden Gloves program, and I guess thought he could use me for practice. I had to fight him more than anyone else.

I sometimes hope that I'll find out where he is, and that old age has caught up to him more than it has me. Payback's a b**ch. ;)

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 07:24:32 PM »
I was bullied in 8th grade - teasing I could take, but then they started kicking around my book bag. After doing the stupid kid thing of chasing after it once or twice, I realized that the only way to STOP it was to take out the next kid who tried it. One punch, and the shock was awesome in the whole rowdy bunch - especially since I busted the kid's glasses. (It was OK, as I wore glasses, too.)

So we had to explain ourselves to a teacher . . . and to punctuate his side of the argument, the other kid kicked the teacher's briefcase!   :facepalm:

Teacher wasn't sympathetic to him after that.   =D

No suspensions, but about a week later he had to write me a letter apologizing, and I had to write his mother a letter apologizing for breaking his glasses. (My letter basically said "Sorry I broke your kid's glasses, I only wanted to bloody his nose, but if YOU were any kind of a good parent, you'd take more of an interest in teaching that thug you're raising good manners, you're really a lousy mother, what's the matter with you, etc. etc.")

That was the end of it.

As for the video . . . if I were the big kid and got suspended for fighting back and nothing was done to my attacker, once I got back to school my inclination would be to smack around the counselor/principal who issued a punishment for self-defense, and NOT the original attack. (Assuming my Dad, upon seeing the video, didn't do a little attitude adjustment on the administration first . . . probably involving a lawsuit initially.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 08:05:27 PM »
I also was picked on and then body-slammed the whole school into submission. I'm pretty awesome.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 08:33:08 PM »
Scrawny kid picks on heavy kid.
What idiocy.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 09:06:24 PM »
Scrawny kid picks on heavy kid.
What idiocy.

Shut up and hand over the lunch money.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 09:21:33 PM »
I've made it awful clear to my boy A) how I will skin his ass if he bullies anyone and B) how he is to respond to being hit first. 

Same here.

My son is 8, in second grade.

The bully is JT, surely the spawn of Satan.

I told my son to hit him 4 times in the face, and put him on the ground if touched.

'What if I get in trouble, Dad?" "Tell them that you are defending yourself, son".

I told the principle about my instructions to my son, and added 'you know me, and that we are not raising pacifists'.

The principle just laughed, and nodded.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

• friends
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011, 09:24:29 PM »
i worry about my daughter being bullied by other girls  boys not so much  i'll pray for the boys souls. i taught her early how to hurt boys bad

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2011, 09:28:50 PM »
If big kid got suspended and little punk has no negative consequence from the school then big kid's parents need to take the video as evidence when swearing out a warrant for assault.

Tried to teach the former daughter not to fight unless she had to.  Seems a middle school squabble over whether or not she bumped against some other child dissolved into former daughter getting slammed into the lockers.  She did nothing but walk away.  No call from the school that day, or even that evening.  Almost did not find out about it from former daughter, either.

Met with the school administrators the next morning and after a rather one-sided conversation took the videotape to Juvenile Intake (folks you see to deal with juvenile crime).  Went back to the school with the cops to watch the kid get pulled out of class - not called out to the office but cops going into the classroom and cuffing her right then and there.  End result was the kid that assaulted the former daughter got probation.  I know - big deal!  But the kid's parents each got 10 days in jail for failing to show up three times in a row for the hearing.  I later found out they blamed their kid for getting stuffed in the pokey.

I am probably still a bad person for how I felt about that.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 12:08:16 AM »
Good for the kid.

I got bullied a lot in middle school for being the fat kid.  It was very hard for me, emotionally, to defend myself, because I got threatened with being arrested by the school principal the one or two times I did. Scared the crap out of me.  All I knew was that I was the one was being tormented, and I couldn't do a damn thing about because I was afraid they'd send me off to jail.

A lot of that changed when I got into high school.  I took up weight lifting during the summer between eighth and ninth grades because of my involvement in football.  It didn't make me all that much skinnier, probably because I didn't work at it hard enough, but it sure as hell made me stronger; I think I was stronger than around 95% of my class, and most of the guys who were stronger were either friends or were laid back and not the type who bully. The bullying dropped off precipitously after people saw how much I was lifting in gym class.

A few people still tried it once or twice.  The funniest was a pair of brain dead morons who joined my football team when I was a Junior.  They were twins, and they had some pretty out-sized egos.  One of them tried to intimidate me with how much he could bench press. I'm pretty sure he was using steroids, and his max was still almost half of mine.  It was kind of funny. Another time, one of the two tried to mess with me during the warm up laps we ran at the start of practice.  He came up, sucker punched me, then ran away.  Since he was faster than me, and we were running from one side of the football field to the other and back for the laps, I just waited until he was on his return leg heading back my direction, and flattened him by forehead butting him with my helmet. He was pretty wobbly when he got back up.  They didn't mess with me after that.  >:D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 12:13:12 AM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 01:10:15 AM »

Yep, same here.  I tell both my kids they are to be kind even to the kids nobody is kind to.  You don't have to be their best friend, but bullying, tormenting, and the like is an option that will be met with terrible consequences at home. 

This bore fruit last year when I saw my boy being standoffish to another boy in his class.  Not mean, just, "I don't want to play with you" in response to a greeting.  Kinda cliqueish behavior, as the other kids did the same to the one.  Mother & I jumped on it with both feet, saying my son had to be cordial and respond to greetings appropriately.  Well, waddaya know?  After my son was cordial and spoke with him, it turns out the kid knew the entire Transformers song or something equally cool to 4 & 5 YO boys.  My boy made sure everyone knew the former leper had such coolness and he became mildly popular.  I spoke to kid's mother later that year and she said, "Your son is a rock star, according to my boy."  I dunno about that, but my boy seems to be able to defend himself (see below), but is still kind to kids, animals, and especially babies & toddlers. 

One of the kids on the basketball team was tormenting my boy and my boy wasn't sure how to respond, as he is a good & gentle kid.  The alpha bully worked toadies up into fellow tormenters.  My wife & I were on the same page: If he does it again, hit him as hard as you can in the gut.

Well, bully & his boys did it again, and alpha bully got his.  No more tormenting after that.  It is not nearly as fun when you can't breathe and run gasping to mommy & daddy, who saw the bullying and did nothing.  Hey, keep a tight reign on your budding sociopath if you don't want him to get punched.

I was large enough to preclude most bullying as a kid.  A bully had to have more than a year on me.  The freakiest bully was this overgrown freako asswipe with birth defects: no thumb on his hypertrophied left hand & arm and an atrophied right arm & hand.  Yeah, no-win situation.  After I had had enough, I nailed him back, we both got in trouble, and he realized I was his size, had two good arms, wouldn't take his crap, and could put the hurting on him with the 2:1 arm advantage.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton