Author Topic: lions & tigers & bears (almost)  (Read 4005 times)

griz

• friend
lions & tigers & bears (almost)
« on: October 19, 2011, 07:10:19 AM »
The owner of a small zoo is found dead and all the critters are loose.  Officers are hunting and killing the animals:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/oct/19/ohio-dangerous-animals-breakout?newsfeed=true

I once saw a bull on the highway driving home in Hampton Virginia (not where you would expect to see farm animals) but if I saw a big cat I think I would question my own sanity.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: lions & tigers & bears (almost)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 07:38:02 AM »
a bull on the highway driving home

What was he driving?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 07:57:18 AM »
What was he driving?

Dodge pickup with trucknutz, of course.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 08:55:56 AM »
Ayup - this is about an hour or so from my abode.

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/oct/18/41/lions-tiger-and-bear-loose-muskingum-county-ar-792445/

Sheriff Lutz told NBC4 shortly after 7 a.m. that 30 to 35 of the animals have been captured or killed.

There was a shoot-to-kill order overnight. Deputies and troopers used night vision to capture or kill those 30 to 35 animals. They also were concentrating on preserving the crime scene.

Nobody is coughing up how the owner was killed.
It seems that all of the animal cages were opened.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

griz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 09:08:06 AM »
What was he driving?

Guess i asked for that.  He was trotting down the middle of a six lane highway.  When I told the police, I prefaced it with "I know this sounds funny but...".
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 09:19:39 AM »
I was watching something the other day, Billy Connolly in the US I think, he stopped by an animal sanctuary that rescued all kinds of big animals. The owner gave a figure for the number of big cats in private hands in the US, can't remember it, surprisingly big number.

edit - http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/08/0816_020816_EXPLcats_2.html - article from 2002 that suggests there are as many as 4-500 big cats in private hands in the Houston area. As many as 15,000 nationally.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 09:20:14 AM »

[tinfoil]
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 09:43:36 AM »
Let me follow the steps.

1.  Kill the owner of exotic animal farm.
2.  Set the dangerous animals free.
3.  Police hunt down and kill the dangerous animals.
4.  Profit?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 09:58:59 AM »
Nobody is coughing up how the owner was killed.
It seems that all of the animal cages were opened.

Uh huh. Gee, now who would have the motivation to do such a thing, I wonder.

So who's running a silent pool on this one? I'd like to get my bet in quick.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 10:07:32 AM »

sucker bet...

So..  when the cops showed up and started shooting critters were they thinking?:
a:  "Best safari ever!"
or
b:  "Holy *expletive deleted*it!  Those are grizzly bears and all I have is this crappy little bushmaster and a 12ga with 00 buck!"
or
c:  "Good thing I brought the #4 steel shot!"
or
d:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 10:11:06 AM by 41magsnub »

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 10:12:33 AM »

Disgruntled employee, ex-wife's hitman, or PO'd drug dealer who is owed money.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 10:13:30 AM »

Assuming motive, Let us Figure that it was not merely for cash on hand.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 10:14:47 AM »
Disgruntled employee, ex-wife's hitman, or PO'd drug dealer who is owed money.

Last two likely wouldn't go to the trouble of opening all the cages of animals that would potentially view them as an evening snack. I try to never underestimate the crazy of a disgruntled employee though.

So, potential customers...

Disgruntled Employee
Eco-Militant
The Random Dude from Crazytown

Anyone got any others to add?
(yeah I'm kinda bored)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 10:31:19 AM »
Eco[peta]-terrorist  ???

No matter he/she/they got most of the critters killed - they were free! 
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 10:33:32 AM »
Eco[peta]-terrorist  ???

No matter he/she/they got most of the critters killed - they were free! 

BING BING BING!!!  We have a winner.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 11:20:41 AM »
This is in my general neck of the woods.  I'm in a neighboring county.  Information I got is that the animal owner was just released from federal prison where he'd been serving time on weapons charges.  Both illegal full-auto weapons and short barrelled weapons.  (Long story short, when he was under investigation for violating laws regarding the animals, an investigator spotted a couple of short barrelled weapons.  This was used to get a search warrant, and he was found to posses five illegal full auto's and three illegal short barrelled weapons.)  Anyways, his wife left him in the last couple of days.  Looks like he just lost it, opened all of the animal enclosures, and shot himself.

Our Sheriff's Department and major Police Departments have SWAT guys on stand-by, primarily the snipers and their .308's.  As funny as this is to read about, people are concerned about these big cats, wolves, and bears.  This is Ohio, where deer hunting is limited to shotguns with slugs, and most farmers deal with varmints using .223.  Don't know about you, but I really don't want to face down a pissed off grizzly bear with an AR-15, or try to stop a bengal tiger with a 12 gauge.  Your average CCW carrier is going to have a .40 or .45 at most, which ain't going to help you much if your dealing with a scared/hungry/angry lion.

Any suggestions for how I walk the dog tonight???  I mean, I've been preparing for a zombie hoard, not a mass zoo escape... =D
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Iain

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 11:49:41 AM »
Any suggestions for how I walk the dog tonight???  I mean, I've been preparing for a zombie hoard, not a mass zoo escape... =D

tbh, considering the number of these animals out there, I'm surprised this doesn't get at least some of the zombie attention.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 11:55:49 AM »

Lever-action 45-70 with hot loads?

Glad to know I have the hardware to deal with the zombie apocalypse AND the exotic animal threats.

I think I need to diversify my ammo, though...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 12:01:52 PM »
Any suggestions for how I walk the dog tonight???  I mean, I've been preparing for a zombie hoard, not a mass zoo escape... =D

Tape up Fido's legs so you can outrun him?

I figure a 12ga with Brenneke hard cast slugs will do the trick in a SD situation. 

Wouldn't it be nice if a short-bbled shotgun were no big whoop to own & pack?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 12:07:06 PM »
This is in my general neck of the woods.  I'm in a neighboring county.  Information I got is that the animal owner was just released from federal prison where he'd been serving time on weapons charges.  Both illegal full-auto weapons and short barrelled weapons.  (Long story short, when he was under investigation for violating laws regarding the animals, an investigator spotted a couple of short barrelled weapons.  This was used to get a search warrant, and he was found to posses five illegal full auto's and three illegal short barrelled weapons.)  Anyways, his wife left him in the last couple of days.  Looks like he just lost it, opened all of the animal enclosures, and shot himself.

What wonderful individuals all around.

The 'investigator', the 'wife', and this fine person too!
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 12:25:44 PM »
Lever-action 45-70 with hot loads?

Glad to know I have the hardware to deal with the zombie apocalypse AND the exotic animal threats.

I think I need to diversify my ammo, though...
Yep, my Marlin 1894 CB with about 8 or 9 rounds of 45/70 in the tube is sounding like a handy gun to carry around.  Yet another reason I need to get started on reloading also.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 01:42:29 PM »
Looks like he just lost it, opened all of the animal enclosures, and shot himself.
Ayup, just read tis in the local news.

Holy *expletive deleted*it!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 01:43:18 PM »
Looks like he just lost it, opened all of the animal enclosures, and shot himself.

And as a new ex-felon, with an illegal gun ...  ;/

I've been preparing for a zombie hoard, not a mass zoo escape.

Judging by the news lately, the whole country is a zoo  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2011, 01:50:08 PM »
. . . Don't know about you, but I really don't want to face down a pissed off grizzly bear with an AR-15, or try to stop a bengal tiger with a 12 gauge.
Wait a minute . . . wait a minute . . . is there still a bengal tiger on the loose? May have to catch a plane up there with my .375 . . . just doing my civic duty, and all that.  :angel:

(Know of any good local taxidermists?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2011, 02:17:30 PM »

I once saw a bull on the highway driving home in Hampton Virginia (not where you would expect to see farm animals) but if I saw a big cat I think I would question my own sanity.

I saw a mountain lion while driving home from the range one night... in a rural neighborhood!  Crossing the street, prowling for stray dogs/cats and vermin.

Seriously considered stopping and taking it down with my .45.  I didn't, because I was inside city limits by just a couple blocks.

But if I saw a real african lion... wow.  That'd be something else.  The desire to fill one of my "Big Five" tickets might overtake my sense of self preservation.   =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!