Author Topic: No wonder our idea of female beauty is distorted!  (Read 14879 times)

Preacherman

No wonder our idea of female beauty is distorted!
« on: October 28, 2006, 12:37:18 PM »
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: No wonder our idea of female beauty is distorted!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 01:11:47 PM »
In all my years in photography, I've seen many models who looked like pretty much everyone else. After the stylists got through with them, though, they looked stunningly beautiful.

Then there's those who look beautiful with or without all the styling work.

One shoot I did involved kids who had won a contest to be on billboards and other print materials for Coke. There was a 12 year-old girl who looked plain. By the time the stylist finished with her, she looked like a 21 year-old knockout. The girl kept her makeup on, so she could look like that when she got back to school.

Over the past decade or so, I've noticed that there's a lot of young women in modelling who've obviously spent thousands on breast implants, collagen lip treatments, and other types of surgery.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 01:43:35 PM »
collagen lip treatments

I have yet to figure out why women want their lips to be the size of a cow's. I don't find anything remotely appealing about a woman who's lips are so grossly oversized that they are obviously fake.

Take Meg Ryan for instance. Before, she was very pretty in an appealingly natural "girl next door" sort of way. Now she looks like she's been punched in the mouth.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 01:45:55 PM »
I don't use stylists onmy photo shoots. Lighting, choice of angles and minimal retouching cause people to say that I only photograph young girls. The last "teenage" model was 31!

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 01:48:09 PM »
It is just the modern-tech fashion embodiment of the ever-present obsessive-complusive drive towards perfection that has been the boon and bane of humanity since times immemorial.

A few years ago, Newsweek or Time published an issue on criteria for physical beauty extracted from the stated preferences of a (supposedly) broad sample of observers. The conclusion was that on average, men preferred light brown hair, large light eyes, light bronze complexion, high cheeks, small nose, sizeable forehead, and puffy lips. The question remains to what extent the pool was contaminated by the trend in supermodels in the first place.  grin

In my opinion, a far more interesting question is why society's preferences have (supposedly) shifted to skinny boyish anorexics, if we are to judge by the trends in supermodeling starting with Twiggy.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 01:54:19 PM »
Quote from: Brad Johnson
I have yet to figure out why women want their lips to be the size of a cow's. I don't find anything remotely appealing about a woman who's lips are so grossly oversized that they are obviously fake.

Actually, that is known to science. The hypothesis is the preference was based on secondary sexual signalling.

Basically, the monkey butts get swollen when the female is in heat to indicate her readiness. But, the human females got more sneaky to hide their heat to trap the male for long-term advantages to compensate for the greater incapacitation with human gestation, skull size, and upright walk. So, the secondary sexual stimulus shifted from checking butts to checking lips. Colagen lips is just another attention-grabbing exaggeration as are silicone breasts.

No, I kid you not.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 02:01:10 PM »
So, the secondary sexual stimulus shifted from checking butts to checking lips.

See, now you have me all confused. Here I am, almost 39 years old, and I find out I've been looking at the wrong body part the entire time.

grin

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 02:02:54 PM »
Interesting how the face got Photochopped after they did the makeup work.

I don't use stylists onmy photo shoots. Lighting, choice of angles and minimal retouching cause people to say that I only photograph young girls. The last "teenage" model was 31!

Not to say I don't appreciate the pretty young things, but I (51 years old, who's watched his wife age over the last 30 years) find mature ladies quite attractive.  Grey and crow's feet means there's more likely something interesting going on behind the pretty forehead.

(And I'm noticing a lot of advertising that seems to be playing to that.)

men preferred light brown hair, large light eyes, light bronze complexion, high cheeks, small nose, sizeable forehead, and puffy lips.

Angelina Jolie.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 02:03:23 PM »
fistful struggles vainly to resist saying, "How can you believe that absurd monkey butt garbage!?"

I'm beyond tired of this angst over men wanting beautiful women.  That's what men have always wanted.  And such "perfect" women exist.  I see them every time I go to the mall.  There's nothing unrealistic about the standard men are looking for, unless they expect all women to look like that from 18 on up.  THAT would be silly.  
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 02:12:33 PM »
Quote from: Brad Johnson
See, now you have me all confused. Here I am, almost 39 years old, and I find out I've been looking at the wrong body part the entire time.

Unfortunately, the casual passer-by will not let you check out her labia, and even if she would, it won't tell you much about her fertility status. On the other hand, lips are in plain view, so you work with what you are given.

The common preference for round bubble butts, voluminous breasts, and wide hips are easily explicable with the necessities of childbirth.

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 02:19:19 PM »
I'm gonna fix some popcorn.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 02:42:57 PM »
We got a kid in the neighborhood, "Chelsea the Model". She's been modeling for quite a few years now. When she was ~2 she showed me the latest shots from her portfolio. She looked about 26 YO and pretty much like the girl at the end of the video. I was shocked!

I also knew this VERY beautiful woman once upon a time quite a while ago. Problem was she put so much makeup on that by the time she was done she had uglied down quite a bit. I tried very carefully explaining to her that she looked MUCH better with just her plain no make up face but she wasn't wanting to hear any of it. She got kinda mad. I never could understand it.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Interesting juxtaposition
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 03:10:21 PM »
Found while looking at the Library of Congress site, this woman was 32 years old.

Chuck Dye

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 03:19:06 PM »
I take issue with the film s conclusion and the thread title, both of which confuse prettiness with beauty.  For my money, Barbara has posted a photo of a beautiful woman.

I am embarrassed that I cannot identify the photographer beyond remembering that it was one of the federally funded depression masters.

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 03:22:18 PM »
Dorothea Lange

Chuck Dye

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2006, 03:27:47 PM »
Thanks, Barbara, I think.  I was going to try to drag it out of memory without doing the search.   rolleyes

I have seen a museum quality original print of that one.  It is, quite literally, stunning.  Digital has a long way to go to displace silver halide technology.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2006, 05:05:36 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

HForrest

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2006, 07:40:01 PM »
I was going to reply to this thread, but decided not to, but left the window open and started playing with the new forum software... missed the "Preview" button and hit "Post". Heh, oops.  undecided

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2006, 07:57:19 PM »
I actually watched the video, now, and I repeat that its premise is nonsense.  Women have always used cosmetics, or flowers in their hair, or pinched their cheeks to make them "rosier" or worn clothing that made them look better, or tried to eat more or less to make themselves look better.  

Were they trying to make themselves look like a perfect model on a bill-board?  No, they were trying to make themselves look like other women they thought were more beautiful than they.  The company making the ad is doing the same thing.  They want a model that looks like the real women out there who are actually that beautiful in real life.  I know a girl who looks just like Meg Ryan, but prettier.  (Meg was never that beautiful, nor was Julia Roberts.)  I knew another who could have doubled for Britney Spears.  I knew another that looked dead-on like Natasha Henstridge.  If you think this last one had some kind of cosmetic surgery, it would come as a shock to her conservative, Pentacostal parents, who insisted on long skirts and high collars.  She was only 14 at the time.  The other two were similarly unlikely to have been modified.  It is quite silly to think that cosmetics or clothing companies are inventing something that doesn't exist.  They're merely to trying to capture something real.  It's probably easier to make up a good-looking woman for one photograph than find and hire a "perfect" one.  

In the past, there was a tiny minority of pampered women who, unless they were just ugly (and some people just are), could use expensive cosmetics, fancy hairstyles and fine clothing to make themselves look "perfect."  Meanwhile, other than a few rare women who possessed some preternatural beauty, most women were limited by poverty, and couldn't do that much to enhance themselves.  On the other hand, few men were accustomed to looking at princesses all day long.  Today, we are surrounded by advertisements, and real-life made-up women, but many more women have a higher standard of living than the wealthy women of yore.  More women can afford to dress themselves up.  

The bottom line is that women tend to be insecure about their appearance and everything else.  No "self-esteem campaign" is going to change that.  

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2006, 12:34:15 AM »
That wins most ironic post of the day.  grin

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2006, 02:08:33 AM »
I BELIEVE I saw that pic amongst a bunch of similar depression era pics in the FDR museum in wherever the hell he lived NY. You go north up 9 from 84.  Around Rye. grin

Nice collection there, very interesting individual.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2006, 03:09:49 AM »
That wins most ironic post of the day.  grin
What?  Mine?  Huh?

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2006, 05:58:50 AM »
Ill second the feed her a sammich sentiment! Darn it, I want a woman, with curves and boobs. The pre-pubescent boy look every blonde in Hollywood seems to go for is gross. Blech.
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
Thin could be good
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2006, 09:00:54 AM »

Graduate law student, Miss Cayman Islands, Olympic athlete...at 21 looks to be about 100 pounds, actually 110-115 due to dense muscle.

Same story, at 31 looks 100, actually 110 due to serious dancing.

Same deal, except looks to be 90 pounds and is really closer to 100 (at 28). Used to be a fashion model, now a CPA. Turned modeling earnings into an education. If her genetic background is any indication, the woman in the top photo will stay slim later in life also.

Beauty is a personal preference, but these three look healthy to me, no need to force-feed them.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2006, 12:29:42 PM »
Beautiful models, Oleg. Nice photos, too.

When I think of the actresses who were considered beautiful or sexy from years back--Sophia Loren, Jane Russell, Marilyn Monroe, etc--they were actually very large women compared to the starlets of today. Actually, "large" isn't even the right term. "Normal" is probably more appropriate.

I had a model show up for an audition who was dressed and made up like a prostitute. Way over the top. But I could see that, underneath all the makeup, she was very attractive. And the client was looking for the clean-scrubbed look.

So, I asked her if she could go home, change into jeans and a regular blouse, and put on no more than base makeup. She agreed, and she got the job.

I think the same argument can be made about our society's perception of what male attractiveness is. Six-pack abs, well-defined pecs, arms the size of canteloupes...there's no way that the average guy can look like that.

I just finished a shoot for Jockey a few weeks ago, and every model worked out at the gym four or five nights a week.

There's more than one guy I know who's spent thousands of dollars on hair implants, as well as other medical procedures.

Thankfully, when I was in my teens and twenties, the rock stars at the time were all skinny guys like me. Made getting dates a lot easier than it probably is today.