Author Topic: Why Lottery Winners so Rarely Remain Wealthy  (Read 14494 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Why Lottery Winners so Rarely Remain Wealthy
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2016, 12:28:39 PM »
I'm not sure if there is an anonymous way of doing so. Court records are open unless sealed. Some states require it be published for X amount of time, usually so creditors can find out.

Even so, financial stalkers generally aren't stupid. And they can be very motivated, persistent leeches. If they can't get at you, they'll go after your family and friends. Or go after them as well as you, of course. Trusts are the best vehicle for financial security. If you set up a trust for your family or whatnot, you're not the bad guy, the trust is. Sure you wrote the restriction list, but those sneaky lawyers are the ones interpreting it so that they can't get $200k out of their trust to open up a ferret operated car wash and grill. It'd be trivially easy to set up a trust to invest in index funds and G7 bonds that solely provides you with the interest that would guarantee you'd be rich for life unless we go back to living in caves. That's easy as pie.

That's not a shield against the crazy, unscrupulous and the criminal. Thankfully some states allow anonymous claims, couple allow LLCs to make the claim. My state doesn't require the lotto commission to disclose the claimer, but they publish the first name, last initial and town. Plus photo. 

My idea of a man servant isn't sounding too bad.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2016, 02:30:09 PM »
HH, as a veteran your eligible to join USAA.   Even now, before you hit the lottery, it might be worth your while to join and check out some of the member benefits available.

THANKS! Joined and saved myself $80 a month AND got better/more insurance coverage on the cars and house!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2016, 02:33:20 PM »
OUTSTANDING !!!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2016, 05:23:38 PM »
I would have thought you'd go for more of a War Machine look.

Eh, I'm a traditionalist.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2016, 05:54:28 PM »
Eh, I'm a traditionalist.

Alright, but if you start quoting Shan Yu, I may get a little worried.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

birdman

• friend
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2016, 07:33:36 PM »
Alright, but if you start quoting Shan Yu, I may get a little worried.

Well...I don't have easy access to a volcano...

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2016, 07:47:21 PM »
Well...I don't have easy access to a volcano...

If you put your mind too it, I'm sure you could make one.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2016, 09:02:07 PM »
3) Buy a good, dependable new vehicle with an extended warranty, again, paid in full then.

If you hit the jackpot, and take the cash lump sum, even after taxes you'll have around half a billion dollars.  Why the hell would you care about a warranty on any "good, dependable new vehicle"?  If the car's a lemon you donate it to your favorite charity and buy another since it represents around 0.01% of your net worth.  Assuming your net worth right now is $50k that's about the same as buying lunch at McDonalds, possibly even less than that.
Formerly sumpnz

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2016, 09:18:32 PM »
If you hit the jackpot, and take the cash lump sum, even after taxes you'll have around half a billion dollars.  Why the hell would you care about a warranty on any "good, dependable new vehicle"?  If the car's a lemon you donate it to your favorite charity and buy another since it represents around 0.01% of your net worth.  Assuming your net worth right now is $50k that's about the same as buying lunch at McDonalds, possibly even less than that.

Actually, I've thought about, in the case of winning big money like that, just buying three identical, solid, lightly used cars and picking my favorite small, grungy dump of a shop with a hard working owner, and offering him an even million for a contract that simply says he'll make sure I always have two cars in absolutely perfect working order.  He gets to upgrade everything around the shop and buy himself a used wrecker to improve his service for all customers, and he's effectively repaying a loan by doing maybe 2-3 days of work and a few hundred in parts for me each year.  (Figure preventive rebuilds on one car per year, and an hour or two of regular maintenance on each one.  Oil changes, lube jobs and alignments don't take long in a properly outfitted shop, and a daily driver that gets regular attention rarely needs anything big.  Three identical ones means he could easily find a fourth and keep it tuned up and ready to go just in case, and/or keep a couple rebuilt engine/transmission sets around to swap in, so most of the big work is done in his spare time.)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2016, 09:38:05 PM »
I'd be going through the last couple of years of Top Gear (The British one, not the lame-o American version) and pick out a few that they recommend.

I know that an AMG Mercedes GT is on the list.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2016, 09:50:15 PM »
I'll admit, with that much money I'd be buying a Tesla Model S or two.

At least partially because I get the impression that while Tesla charges for it's service, it at least knows how to treat its customers right.

By all reports, it's extremely rare to pry one of their cars out of the hands of its owner.  Usually by giving them a NEWER tesla.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2016, 10:27:01 PM »
and learn how to be an *expletive deleted*hole with a really thick skin, you're going to have people coming out of the woodwork begging for money and calling you all sorts of names because you won't give them any money.

They do that anyway.

But, if my train comes in, all of my friends ride, too.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2016, 10:45:02 PM »
I'm not sure if there is an anonymous way of doing so. Court records are open unless sealed. Some states require it be published for X amount of time, usually so creditors can find out.

Even so, financial stalkers generally aren't stupid. And they can be very motivated, persistent leeches. If they can't get at you, they'll go after your family and friends. Or go after them as well as you, of course. Trusts are the best vehicle for financial security. If you set up a trust for your family or whatnot, you're not the bad guy, the trust is. Sure you wrote the restriction list, but those sneaky lawyers are the ones interpreting it so that they can't get $200k out of their trust to open up a ferret operated car wash and grill. It'd be trivially easy to set up a trust to invest in index funds and G7 bonds that solely provides you with the interest that would guarantee you'd be rich for life unless we go back to living in caves. That's easy as pie.

That's not a shield against the crazy, unscrupulous and the criminal. Thankfully some states allow anonymous claims, couple allow LLCs to make the claim. My state doesn't require the lotto commission to disclose the claimer, but they publish the first name, last initial and town. Plus photo. 

I think with that kind of money, you can have those problems taken care of for you.  :angel: >:D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2016, 08:14:35 AM »
They do that anyway.

But, if my train comes in, all of my friends ride, too.

If any of my friends or family wins, I wouldn't expect anything. Maybe after all the commotion calms down, we meet for lunch somewhere and catch up.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2016, 10:41:20 AM »
I think with that kind of money, you can have those problems taken care of for you.  :angel: >:D
I think you would be inundated with people trying to part you from your money no matter what amount you won from the lottery.  I read an article about it years ago and most of them said it took 6 months or so for most of that to die down.  I can see spreading a portion to more distant family and people I like at work.  The main thing IMO is to get a fixed amount in your mind and no more.  I have little patience for emotional sob stories now.  I hate to imagine what my attitude would be become like after that.

Other than paying off debts and dedicating some money to buy a few toys, I think the first step is just getting the money in your control and figuring out how to minimize the govt's cut.  With this much, I figure I would set up some sort of trust and bring my brothers into so.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2016, 10:52:30 AM »
I think you would be inundated with people trying to part you from your money no matter what amount you won from the lottery.  
A few years ago they interviewed a black guy who'd won millions in a lotto, and asked him how he was spending the money. He said he'd set some aside for his grandchildren, and so long as they kept their grades up, he was paying for all their college expenses. He also said he had a firm rule about who he'd donate money to: If you come to me asking for money - you ain't getting it.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2016, 11:25:30 AM »
Other than paying off debts and dedicating some money to buy a few toys, I think the first step is just getting the money in your control and figuring out how to minimize the govt's cut.  With this much, I figure I would set up some sort of trust and bring my brothers into so.

Hence the tax attorney.  I know enough people with net worths far into the seven and eight figures to get a few solid recommendations on that, and you can bet my first week would be spent sitting down with at least three of them to get their opinion and some hard numbers on what theirs has done for them, who they've previously used and fired, etc.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2016, 12:37:02 PM »
That's the great thing about having virtually no family anymore - I don't have to worry about that kind of crap.

Friends I don't really worry about, either. I have a very small circle of friends, and generally we've been friends for decades. They're people I know and trust.

In my circle of friends, Mtnbkr is the newcomer, since we've only known each other a little over 12 years.

Still not sure how he weaseled his way into my heart.... 

Probably that time Abby stuck that chef's knife in it...

:rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2016, 01:12:57 PM »
"Powerball is at $1.3 billion. Us population is at 300 million. They should just give each person $4.3 million. Poverty solved"

:facepalm:

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2016, 01:43:48 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvE84AGMWpE

SFW.

This was from what would've been Wednesday's drawing.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2016, 01:46:22 PM »
"Powerball is at $1.3 billion. Us population is at 300 million. They should just give each person $4.3 million. Poverty solved"

Behold the results of our public school system.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2016, 01:52:11 PM »

Just a rounding error.  Good enough for NASA.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2016, 01:55:34 PM »
Behold the results of our public school system.

=D  =D  =D

Poor 41 is gonna be living with that one for a while. At least he's got meat.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2016, 02:05:25 PM »
=D  =D  =D

Poor 41 is gonna be living with that one for a while. At least he's got meat.  :laugh:

Um, the facepalm and quotes should indicate it was not me that originally wrote it and posted it here for the entertainment of all!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2016, 02:06:34 PM »
Um, the facepalm and quotes should indicate it was not me that originally wrote it and posted it here for the entertainment of all!

Yep, it's buzzing around social media in that exact verbage.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.