Author Topic: Auto Thieves Drown, Cops Blamed  (Read 27371 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Auto Thieves Drown, Cops Blamed
« on: April 22, 2016, 01:00:49 PM »
Three teenage girls steal a car (not the first time), and while eluding cops, drive into a scummy pond at night. The cops are being blamed by the usual suspects for not saving the girls, even though they heard them screaming. From the text in the story, this is one of those times I support "as long as the cop gets home safely".

They tried to go in, but began sinking in mud and were afraid they'd get stuck and drown themselves. I fully support that decision. I once had to retrieve some instrumentation that an egghead dropped off the side of our boat while docked in the harbor. The harbor was super silty/muddy. I found the instrument stuck in the mud, but while lifting, opposite forces and all that, sank in myself. I had to lose a fin to the mud to get myself out, and I had an hour's worth of air to keep me calm and thinking, plus 40lbs of buoyancy available in my stab jacket. Having that happen at night, while holding your breath, in non-buoyant street clothes, in zero visibility, would be no bueno. It's the same as a firefighter without protective gear running into a conflagration to save a screaming victim. They'd die along with the victim.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/22/dashcam-video-shows-fla-deputies-debating-whether-to-rescue-girls-from-stolen-car-in-pond.html?intcmp=hpbt3
http://www.tbo.com/pinellas-county/documents-released-in-probe-of-teens-who-drowned-in-stolen-car-20160419/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Auto Thieves Drown, Cops Blamed
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 01:10:04 PM »
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 01:22:36 PM »
If you've got muddy scummy ponds around and a job as any sort of first responder, it might be a good idea to learn how to traverse mud like that.

No, it won't be pleasant, and you'll be filthy, but it's not like the uniform will stay clean while you're in the water anyway.  The mud, however, is dramatically more buoyant than water, so you belly crawl until it's too soupy for that and then switch to something more like a breaststroke.  I've crossed some pretty nasty slime like that, and in worse conditions than they were likely dealing with.  Jeans and a Dickies work shirt, because going home to change would have cost us a calf.  No air tank, no other toys besides a climbing line and harness so the folks on "dry" ground could drag me back if need be, and could haul me and the calf back once I got to it.  (That should be part of any first responder's kit, since something as simple as a wet grassy embankment can leave you stuck in a ditch until somebody comes up with a line.)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 01:25:22 PM »
Actually, I think the girls should have gotten training in:

A) Getting out of an underwater car.

B) Not stealing other people's *expletive deleted*it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 01:31:57 PM »
If you've got muddy scummy ponds around and a job as any sort of first responder, it might be a good idea to learn how to traverse mud like that.

No, it won't be pleasant, and you'll be filthy, but it's not like the uniform will stay clean while you're in the water anyway.  The mud, however, is dramatically more buoyant than water, so you belly crawl until it's too soupy for that and then switch to something more like a breaststroke.  I've crossed some pretty nasty slime like that, and in worse conditions than they were likely dealing with.  Jeans and a Dickies work shirt, because going home to change would have cost us a calf.  No air tank, no other toys besides a climbing line and harness so the folks on "dry" ground could drag me back if need be, and could haul me and the calf back once I got to it.  (That should be part of any first responder's kit, since something as simple as a wet grassy embankment can leave you stuck in a ditch until somebody comes up with a line.)

What about when said mud is actually underwater, it is dark, and the vehicle is 15 ft underwater.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 01:35:44 PM »

I'm really not going to expect the police to get training in "mud rescues". That's not the police's job.

Also, I'm not about to second guess them on a dangerous situation, especially at night.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 02:09:39 PM »
What about when said mud is actually underwater, it is dark, and the vehicle is 15 ft underwater.

Yes. It's a whole nother situation when your breathing hole is underwater.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 02:45:02 PM »
Actually, I think the girls should have gotten training in:

A) Getting out of an underwater car.

B) Not stealing other people's *expletive deleted*it and running from the police..

FTFY

bob

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 02:54:34 PM »
Reaping what you sow comes to mind here.  As a side note (I didn't read the articles) I would be surprised if the police officers won't carry bad memories of having to make the choice they did.  Having worked in LE, most officers, even when dealing with criminals, would have rather saved them than not.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 02:57:11 PM »
This is local to my old house.  I drove past that pond every day for about 14 years going to work.

I also have a bit of experience in traversing mud, muddy bottoms, and mud flats. (Landing Craft, don't you know).  Sorry KD5NRH but that's pretty ignorant.  I get that you've done it, but it's a bad idea.  Submerged mud isn't actually always buoyant. That's why it is submerged.  It's actually very very dangerous.  Where I grew up in AK we lost a handful of people per year when they got stuck in tidal mud, and the tide came in.  And that's not even mentioning the alligators.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3350360/He-hid-wrong-place-Florida-man-killed-eaten-ALLIGATOR-hiding-police-caught-robbing-homes.html
http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/alligators-jaws-catch-suspect-in-florida-lake/
http://www.tbo.com/news/breaking-news/alligator-attack-on-hillsborough-river-left-imprint-in-more-ways-than-one-20140916/

Then assuming you get there, you get to free dive, in the dark, down to a car and try to explain to the occupants that you need to flood it so the car door can open.  Then try to get the maybe can/maybe can't panicked kid back to shore and through the dangerous mud.

I don't blame the cops at all for not going out there for this one. 

Quote from: wmenorr67
Compare the mug shot photos in Ben's link to the "wholesome" photos in my link.

Those photo's are remarkably scantily clad and kinda gang-y.  I'm surprised they didn't find some 6th grade school pictures.

I also hate to pile on someone that has lost a child, I'm sure that's tough no matter what, but this juxtaposition jumped out at me in the article:
Quote from: The Tampa Tribune
The lawyers were hired by Miller’s mother, Natasha Winkler, who said her daughter was a beautiful person and dreamed of working as an lawyer one day.

Deputies went to the home of Kristine Hayes, Miller’s grandmother, who had legal guardianship of the teen, on the morning of March 31. Upon hearing what had happened, Hayes was “extremely emotional and visibly shaken,” investigative documents say.

- See more at: http://www.tbo.com/pinellas-county/documents-released-in-probe-of-teens-who-drowned-in-stolen-car-20160419/#sthash.T6GcytVN.dpuf

NOW she wants to be a mom....

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 03:35:38 PM »
Another case of black people not believing their own lives mattered. If Michael Brown had three sisters, they would look like these chicks.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 05:12:29 PM »
Another case of black people not believing their own lives mattered. If Michael Brown had three sisters, they would look like these chicks.

Black lives matter after they end -- then they get dollar signs attached to them ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 06:00:59 PM »
I also have a bit of experience in traversing mud, muddy bottoms, and mud flats. (Landing Craft, don't you know).  Sorry KD5NRH but that's pretty ignorant.  I get that you've done it, but it's a bad idea.  Submerged mud isn't actually always buoyant. That's why it is submerged.

If it's submerged, then a) it's more buoyant than water and b) there's this other stuff on top of it that's exactly as buoyant as water.  Roll over.  You can't even get the swimming merit badge without knowing how to float on your back.

Yes, I suppose floating on your back in water could be an absolutely horrible idea on the chance that the laws of physics might suddenly change dramatically.  OTOH, I can't find any documented incidences of that in recorded history, so I'll risk it.

Where I grew up in AK we lost a handful of people per year when they got stuck in tidal mud, and the tide came in.

Since you're familiar with the pond in question, what exactly is its tidal range?  I know I once spent nearly 20 minutes stuck in a hole with water to my rib cage, and somehow managed to avoid drowning, so I'm doubting that even getting stuck hip deep would have been a real threat, considering that if it's the pond I'm thinking, the spring tide range could be a few microns. 

Then assuming you get there, you get to free dive, in the dark,

Considering I can't see underwater without a mask, this is pretty much what 90% of my dives are like anyway. 

Then try to get the maybe can/maybe can't panicked kid back to shore and through the dangerous mud.

Well, you know, if you've made the huge investment in a good piece of rope, and remembered to leave one end with the guys on shore, then you get them free of the car and put their hands on the rope.  The best plan in any water rescue is to give the victim something else besides you to hold onto whenever possible.  It they can't figure the next bit out, then you just move on to the next one and come back to the idiot when you've attempted all three.

I don't blame the cops at all for not going out there for this one.

Maybe it's just the way I was raised, but <10% chance of me dying vs, let's call it 25% chance of saving at least one of the three who would almost certainly die without help, I'm going.  Don't really care about their crime for the moment either; last I checked, the death penalty is still considered excessive for 15-16 year old kids joy riding.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 06:05:19 PM »
I'll state, without even a hint of sarcasm, that I'm glad the cops got home safe that night.
Car thieves should be treated as they used to treat horse thieves.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 06:18:10 PM »
I'll state, without even a hint of sarcasm, that I'm glad the cops got home safe that night.
Car thieves should be treated as they used to treat horse thieves.

Yup.

Outcome is a huge net positive to society. 

Feel bad for the cops that now get racked over the coals for making the logical call.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2016, 07:26:55 PM »
Some tile crawlers scent settlement money. Hence the wailing and gnashing of teeth

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2016, 07:56:52 PM »
Maybe it's just the way I was raised, but <10% chance of me dying vs, let's call it 25% chance of saving at least one of the three who would almost certainly die without help, I'm going.  Don't really care about their crime for the moment either; last I checked, the death penalty is still considered excessive for 15-16 year old kids joy riding.

That's fine.  You're free to make your own bad decisions*.  What you can't do is try and hold other people accountable for not making them.  It's sad, but those girls died as a direct result of a series of poor decisions that night, and the cops were under no legal or moral obligation to risk themselves to save them from those decision's consequences.  Mom trying to monetize her daughters accidental suicide is pretty repugnant though.  It's disingenuous to refer to it as the death penalty, as that implies this was a result of the justice system and the cops as opposed to the girl's choice.  Make no mistake however, they might not have fully thought it through, but this was the girl's choice.

*Yes, I know, in point of fact, you aren't free.  Cops will stop you from taking risks if they are on the scene, up to and including tazing or shooting you to protect you from risking your life, but that's neither here nor there for this particular conversation.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2016, 08:41:55 PM »
There are a lot of crimes today that the perps should be treated as horse thieves were.  The notion that we've become more civilized is a strawman in my view, as some crimes are as uncivilized now as they were 100 years ago thus should not be given the benefit or our advancement, but should reap according to their non advance. :old:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2016, 08:50:58 PM »
These aren't "joyriders" which is still theft by the way, these are career criminals when they have multiple car theft convictions.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2016, 10:18:08 PM »
That's fine.  You're free to make your own bad decisions*.  What you can't do is try and hold other people accountable for not making them. 

This.

Knock yourself out,  if the suicidal hero/savior of felons mood strikes you.  The cops in question were under no obligation to die attempting to save these criminals.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2016, 10:19:10 PM »
It's sad, but those girls died as a direct result of a series of poor decisions that night...

It's important to add that they were felonious decisions, that placed other people in danger (aside from depriving someone of a very expensive and important piece of equipment, which they may find difficult to replace). Thankfully, there were apparently no innocents harmed during the vehicle pursuit.

Of course, poor judgment, felony crimes, and easily preventable deaths are why I compared this to Michael Brown. Criminals acting as if they didn't value their own lives - and paying for it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2016, 10:38:48 PM »
If it's submerged, then a) it's more buoyant than water

Huh?  ???  ???  ???

Buoyant means it floats. If it's submerged, it sank -- not floated.

Quote from: Merriam-Webster
Full Definition of buoyant

:  having buoyancy: as
a :  capable of floating
b :  cheerful, gay
c :  capable of maintaining a satisfactorily high level <a buoyant economy>
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2016, 11:11:09 PM »
We are in a time where many if not most police really don't get enough basic police training.  Why is someone here suggesting mud rescue be added to the list of training they don't get?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2016, 11:36:29 PM »
We are in a time where many if not most police really don't get enough basic police training.  Why is someone here suggesting mud rescue be added to the list of training they don't get?

It isn't just "mud rescue", which seems to be a point he's not getting. This isn't pulling a dogie out of the old watering hole. When you're dealing with a submerged rescue, be it car, boat, or aircraft, a ridiculous number of factors come in to play, from physics, to equipment, to disorientation in the environment.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2016, 03:38:31 AM »
The Narrative from The Usual Suspects tries to portray this as they stood around and watches the kids screamed and died this is not the case . for at least some of the cops on scene they weren't even sure the kids are still in the car when it went in the water hence the remark about "if they ghost drove it in there"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I