Author Topic: Mixed feelings about this new forum  (Read 16367 times)

Phyphor

• friend
Mixed feelings about this new forum
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2005, 11:43:21 AM »
You know, when I read the title, "Armed Polite Society," I had visions of each member having a vote in everyone else's posts.

If a member received too high a percentage of negative "votes," then they would temporarily be banned from posting. Second offense, a longer ban, etc. Then, after say, three-strikes, the option to vote to ban permanently would be available to all the other members.

And maybe votes could have more weight depending on how many posts someone has or how long they have been registered.

I realize that such a system would probably be wraught with problems, but those are the kind of visions I had when I read the title.

It would have been like we, the members, were all armed and therefore would remain polite and civil to one another less be get too many demerits.

In any case, I'm glad and thankful to Oleg for giving us yet another chance to save ourselves.

Thanks again Oleg.

I really do appreciate it.

While on the surface, this seems like a good idea, I can see the potential for abuse being entirely too high, especially given the "whoever has more posts has more pull" aspect.  I think the High Road's way of dealing with trolls/etc is probably more workable, in the long run... Less chance of abuse by cliques, ya know?
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Holly76201

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2005, 03:30:01 PM »
I was gonna just send  Oleg a PM, but I decided to say this "out loud " if you will.

Oleg goes to all the trouble of building a forum so RT devotees would not be homeless.And most of us thank him most heartedly.

Some folks who are less than grateful get on and express all their misgivings on the 1st day!  Give the forum a chance before you start criticizing, please.

I hope this is not viewed as a flame, but more as an expression of my dismay that we have negative vibes going on within the 1st day of the forums life.

And I agree with Oleg, if you want a forum with different rules, go build your own. Otherwise go back to the registration agreement you had to read to register and read it again.
Veni, Vidi, Vivisecti

FUR IS MURDER to clean

Lws

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2005, 04:20:50 PM »
Maybe POLITE should be all caps.Hope this works out.Good luck

Michigander

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2005, 04:41:14 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I think this forum is going to be great and last a long time (God and Oleg willing).

The sole discression that Oleg has is the most important aspect, methinks. As opposed to a group of moderators trying to make decisions, I expect any warnings or punishment (bans) should, and I hope, shall be swift and consistent.

I am especially heartened by Oleg's recognition that some people may abuse their priviledge of complaining about others. Hopefully this will prevent anyone with too thin a skin from hanging around long or help that person grow a few layers of skin.

I trust Oleg's discression and judgement in all decisions in this regard.

In the end, hopefully, it will be up to us, the members at a large, who decide, by our words, whether or not APS lasts.

One more thing: Excellent choice for a name for this forum Oleg!
What if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about?

Lee

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2005, 06:23:37 PM »
Every forum is only as good as it's membership.  It will work IF people continue to post interesting (and odd) stuff.  I think we're all gun nuts at heart...so I hope that at least SOME of the talk will continue to be gun related.  If not, I to predict that we'll all get bored real quick and the forum will soon die.  So...spread the word....the bar's open...heap on the BS and wild stories.  Oh.... and let's fill this place up with females amd become the envy of the shooting world.  It's good to be here.

Preacherman

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2005, 07:26:19 PM »
Well, you still have your very own chaplain on board, so I'll keep an eye on y'all...

Cool
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2005, 08:24:40 PM »
someone watching for our souls....waitaminute, where'd my 1911 go... ?

:twisted:
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2005, 08:47:50 PM »
Well, you still have your very own chaplain on board, so I'll keep an eye on y'all...
Hi, Preach! Glad to know the Lord's sent someone to watch our backs!  Wink

Some of us otherwise docile members still need a brotherly admonition now & then.

Glad to be here, and nice of you, Oleg, to throw this little party for the rest of us (I don't know the whole story, so maybe the Roundtable WAS a nightmare for those behind the scenes).

Where's the confounded fridge, and what have we got for a thirsty traveller?

telewinz

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2005, 01:39:59 AM »
Heck...give this a chance.  Its the people NOT the location of a site.
Career Corrections

bytor94

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2005, 02:22:31 AM »
I'll miss the Roundtable, but, in all fairness I must give this location a chance.  Hopefully most of the THR people will follow over here and resume ops.

Thanks to Oleg for all of his work.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2005, 12:06:07 PM »
So, I thought I'd resurrect this thread to see what everybody thinks now that APS has been around awhile.

Personally, I've enjoyed the place quite a bit and it's proven to be a rather sporting place, a place to while away some time or squelch an urge to vent, etc.   The members have comported themselves, for the most part, in a reasonable fashion.

I wish the smilies were as easy to use as on THR.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

crt360

• friend
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2005, 12:09:52 PM »
I agree with grampster.  I think it has been quite successful.
For entertainment purposes only.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2005, 01:16:34 PM »
yeah, where else will you hear about killer armadillos or fried green tomatoes? Cheesy

I think the growing membership numbers speak for themselves.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2005, 02:20:17 PM »
Its not RT, but then again, RT wasn't black and yellow Cheesy

People will always have something to whine about.  The trick for the other 99.9% of people, is to ignore them.  People will always cause trouble.  The trick is, for the other 99.99% of people to remain civil and fair in dealing with them, and realize they are not a representation of the whole.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2005, 06:33:52 PM »
Seems to be slowing down quite a bit.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Greg L

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2005, 06:01:34 AM »
I only come by here every few days if that.  THR I tend to go to more often but I don't think I've looked in anything but General and L&P in months.  

The whole Roundtable fiasco left a very bad taste in my mouth that still hasn't gone away. :shrug

OTOH, this place does seem to be quite nicely self regulating & there hasn't (in the topics that I've looked at) been the petty flame wars that seemed to go on in RT every now & then.

I suppose that it is better than nothing but it isn't better than it could have been.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2005, 06:33:53 AM »
what i find annoying is the folks that post the same thread on TFL and THR

i ignore both
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2005, 08:03:06 AM »
Why is that, Harry?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2005, 04:54:33 PM »
It is kinda irritating...the one on THR gets closed, (but not before some interesting posts get posted, ) and the one over here often languishes..

grampster

• friend
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2005, 05:17:49 PM »
I wish there was link posted on THR over here.  Maybe we'd get a little more action.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Zundfolge

• friend
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2005, 06:21:31 PM »
Quote from: grampster
I wish there was link posted on THR over here.  Maybe we'd get a little more action.
Yeah, there's not even one under the "other forums" category in the TFL Library
http://thehighroad.org/library/

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2005, 03:49:09 PM »
Quote from: Blackburn
Quote from: grampster
Suggested the same exact thing, one vBulletin feature is to have a link in the list of forums that looks just like a normal forum but has a little swoosh arrow icon that shows that it takes you somwhere else. They ix-nayed the implimentation of that.
A pity, but I CAN kinda - sorta see the reasoning behind that,

(Yes, I'm necroposting.  Shoot- - uh...disregard that last)

Seymour Skinner

« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2005, 04:47:57 PM »
..the one on THR gets closed, (but not before some interesting posts get posted, ) and the one over here often languishes..
Boy, that sums it up. undecided

I'm kind of a forum junkie.

It won't surprise anyone by my username, but I started an all MAC guns forum after macguns.com's owner abruptly pulled the plug or died or just wouldn't renew the domain or whatever the hell happened.  If you like MACs, it's at http://s9.invisionfree.com/MasterPiece_Arms_MAC/

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2005, 04:58:13 PM »
Seems to be doing just fine to me...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Zundfolge

• friend
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2005, 11:28:19 AM »
My feelings about this forum are becoming less and less "mixed" ... more and more people who are too rude or stupid to keep from being banned on THR end up coming here ... peeing on the carpet and making this place not worth the serverspace its taking up.

bleh.