Author Topic: US citizen kills ecoprotesters in Panama  (Read 3104 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
US citizen kills ecoprotesters in Panama
« on: November 09, 2023, 10:43:26 AM »
https://nypost.com/2023/11/08/news/gunman-seen-shooting-dead-eco-protesters-in-panama/

American lawyer, 77, busted in Panama after gunning down two eco-protesters blocking highway in shocking video

Can anyone identify what weapon he was using?

This is a weird story, what could he possibly have been thinking?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: US citizen kills ecoprotesters in Panama
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2023, 10:59:51 AM »

I'll take mental health issues for a $1000, Alex.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2023, 11:00:09 AM »

"I'm old, I'm pissed, and since no one is doing anything about this *expletive deleted*it I guess I'll have to."

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2023, 11:01:37 AM »
I just edited my above guess to Glock 26 after I noticed there's no front rail
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2023, 11:03:05 AM »

Not very far ahead, is my guess. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2023, 11:21:12 AM »
Much better to steer clear of these things, ESPECIALLY in a foreign country. (Story said he had dual citizenship, but still . . .  :facepalm: ) I wager that had this 77 year old done the same here, he'd spend the rest of his life in MUCH nicer prison conditions than he'll find down in Panama.

Hmmm . . . couldn't an argument be made that by arresting the shooter and not arresting the people blocking the highway, the police have joined with the criminals and are functioning as their security detail?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2023, 11:38:38 AM »
...arresting the shooter and not arresting the people blocking the highway, the police have joined with the criminals and are functioning as their security detail?

That's a big part of the problem all over. The freedom to protest is a sacrosanct right but it's been been weaponized to the point where actions which deprive others of their rights - or even puts them in danger - aren't just tolerated, they're protected by law enforcement. Protestors have been allowed to run roughshod, with full police protection, over pretty much every part of society. That's bred an "anything goes" attitude and needs to stop. Want to stand on the side of the road, hold a sign, and scream your lungs out? Fine by me. That's your right. Want to blockade a road because you're pissy about something? You're a criminal. Go to jail.

I can't recall which, but haven't some states enacted legal protections for drivers who run over barriers, and protestors, because they're being attacked by a mob in the street and are in fear for their lives?

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2023, 11:56:15 AM »
I haven't heard any final results, but I think in most cases people who run over people to escape have been okay.  I don't know about people who plow through protests injuring people. 

I recall a new law was proposed in one state.  I don't know if it passed.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2023, 12:33:46 PM »

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2023, 12:46:15 PM »
Doesn't take long for the memes to get started

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2023, 12:48:01 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2023, 12:49:45 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2023, 12:59:19 PM »
That's a big part of the problem all over. The freedom to protest is a sacrosanct right but it's been been weaponized to the point where actions which deprive others of their rights - or even puts them in danger - aren't just tolerated, they're protected by law enforcement. Protestors have been allowed to run roughshod, with full police protection, over pretty much every part of society. That's bred an "anything goes" attitude and needs to stop. Want to stand on the side of the road, hold a sign, and scream your lungs out? Fine by me. That's your right. Want to blockade a road because you're pissy about something? You're a criminal. Go to jail.

I can't recall which, but haven't some states enacted legal protections for drivers who run over barriers, and protestors, because they're being attacked by a mob in the street and are in fear for their lives?

Brad

So who get's to decide when a cause is OK to block a road for?  Because I'm pretty sure there were a lot of pissed off drivers for this one:

I'm not going to say that global warming whining is on the same level as Dr. King's push to get people to be allowed to vote, but that is a danger when you start saying "people can protest, but..."  If the cause was popular they wouldn't need to protest.

In the cases where mobs attack drivers like we saw last week in MN? Sure, go weapons free.  *expletive deleted*ck those guys.  But the superglue to the road dipshits are pretty non-violent. 

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2023, 01:18:13 PM »
So who get's to decide when a cause is OK to block a road for?  Because I'm pretty sure there were a lot of pissed off drivers for this one:

Didn't they have a permit for that?
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2023, 02:01:54 PM »
but that is a danger when you start saying "people can protest, but..."  If the cause was popular they wouldn't need to protest.

If you want to protect the abuse and weaponization of a right to the detriment of others, go ahead. That's the "ends justify the means" argument. Me, I'm different. I think wrong is wrong, and that actively weaponizing a right to the point it knowingly deprives others of their possessions or freedoms should be punishable up to whatever legal limit applies.

Protection of inalienable rights is the most valiant of causes and due every effort possible. Intentional abuse of rights for malevolent means, no matter how noble the intent or end result, is abhorrent.

Brad
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 04:17:36 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2023, 02:53:24 PM »
Getting stuck in traffic cause by a protest is no reason to start shooting people however inconvenient it may be.
Having your car surrounded by a violent mob threatening to pull you out of the car and kill you is.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2023, 03:02:11 PM »
Nobody should be allowed to block the road for a protest... except maybe if it is cleared so there are cops to re-direct traffic.  Maybe?

People shouldn't shoot anyone just for blocking the road either.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2023, 04:43:05 PM »
The violence came during the third week of protests over a large mining contract that allows Canada-based First Quantum Minerals to operate the region’s largest pit copper mine for at least 20 more years.

Senor D'Anconia could not be reached for comment.

As he was loaded into the police transport, Mr. Darlington was heard muttering "Who is John Galt?" under his breath.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2023, 04:47:58 PM »

That's a hell of an action photo.  The bokeh, the lighting, the spent case at eyebrow level.  Someone with some serious equipment took that photo.  That's a major telephoto lens with a large aperture to get enough light for that shutter speed to get the brass not to smear in motion.  And that much subject separation from the background.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2023, 05:19:50 PM »
Didn't they have a permit for that?

Considering the State Police attacked and beat them, I'm going to assume they did not.  At least not for the whole 50 or so miles.

If you want to protect the abuse and weaponization of a right to the detriment of others, go ahead. That's the "ends justify the means" argument. Me, I'm different. I think wrong is wrong, and that actively weaponizing a right to the point it knowingly deprives others of their possessions or freedoms should be punishable up to whatever legal limit applies.

Protection of inalienable rights is the most valiant of causes and due every effort possible. Intentional abuse of rights for malevolent means, no matter how noble the intent or end result, is abhorrent.

Brad

Just to make sure I'm not misunderstanding you here:  Your position is that freedom to use a road trumps any cause for protest, and that the Selma marchers should have been punished up to the legal limit for blocking the road between Selma and Montgomery?

I'm not sure I'd go that far even if, as I said, the eco protestors are not IMHO as righteous as MLK was.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2023, 05:27:01 PM »
Just to make sure I'm not misunderstanding you here:  Your position is that freedom to use a road trumps any cause for protest, and that the Selma marchers should have been punished up to the legal limit for blocking the road between Selma and Montgomery?

If they weren't permitted to block a motorway? Yes.

Just because history looks favorably on the act now doesn't take away from it being a malicious imposition on others then. Again, it's an "ends justify the means" argument, a very dangerous and quite slippery slope.

Also, it's not "freedom to use a road" we're talking about, it's "malicious imposition of your feelings/position/cause" upon others. Using the former excuses the blocking actor's actions by implying it's the motorists' fault for wanting to properly use an unimpeded public roadway.

Brad
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2023, 07:30:52 PM »
Isn't any effective protest an "imposition of your feelings/position/cause" upon others?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2023, 08:09:36 PM »
I'm opposed to protests blocking major thoroughfares 100%. If you want me to have empathy for your cause don't act in a borderline anarchist manner, flaunting the law, punishing innocent people by disrupting their lives. Not to mention the reallocation of emergency service personal AND as is typically seen, the disruption of their fastest routes to real emergencies.   

Haul the protesters all away, ticket them and call it good. If they resist, even passively, charge them with resisting arrest, trespassing etc.

I'm opposed to running over or shooting non-violent protesters.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2023, 10:06:18 PM »

Brad

Agreed and kudos.

"But the superglue to the road dipshits are pretty non-violent."

I see that as committing a false arrest.

A crime is a a crime.  And a crime for a "good cause" demeans the value of the word "good."  (Besides still being a crime.)

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.