Author Topic: When Sauerkraut Goes Bad  (Read 401 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
When Sauerkraut Goes Bad
« on: February 11, 2024, 03:36:23 PM »
Holy hell. I wanted to do ham and sauerkraut today, but yesterday, I didn't want to run all the way to the German store for the good kraut, so I went to the Albertson's that's 30 minutes from me. Low selection, as expected. Libby's and one called Steinfelds, which sounds more Jewish than German, but I didn't want to go with bland Libby's so gave the Steinfelds a try.

I opened the jar an hour ago and was hit with the smell of death throwing a botulism party. I don't believe I have ever experienced kraut that went bad, and I eat a lot of kraut. This was like a beyond death smell. I tossed the thing and immediately took the trash outside. The house still smells of rotten kraut. If someone ate this stuff, I think getting deathly ill and needing the hospital would be a best case scenario. I checked the jar before I tossed it and it was dated to NOV2025.

It was so bad that I actually called the Albertsons where I bought it to warn them that they might have a bad batch, and the woman just said, "Oh, sorry. Just bring the jar in and we'll refund you." Even after I explained just how bad it was and that I only called because I was worried about someone getting sick, she was like, "meh". Didn't seem to care. Oh well, my conscience is clear if I read about a sauerkraut poisoning in the area in the next few weeks.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: When Sauerkraut Goes Bad
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 03:59:33 PM »
You probably should get the codes off of the can and call the company. Albertson's doesn't care. The company OTOH may be concerned especially if they get one or two more reports. Then again in could just be you bad luck to pick the can that may have had a pinhole in the seam or the lid seal. I would still call the company.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 04:02:51 PM »
You probably should get the codes off of the can and call the company. Albertson's doesn't care. The company OTOH may be concerned especially if they get one or two more reports. Then again in could just be you bad luck to pick the can that may have had a pinhole in the seam or the lid seal. I would still call the company.

bob

That's a good idea. I'm about certain the glass jar lid didn't have a pinhole. It was hell getting it off and I heard the seal pop.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 04:12:01 PM »
I thought it had to go bad to become sauerkraut.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2024, 04:23:50 PM »
That's a good idea. I'm about certain the glass jar lid didn't have a pinhole. It was hell getting it off and I heard the seal pop.

Sounds like something other than a bad seal, poor processing maybe.

I thought it had to go bad to become sauerkraut.

Well, there is that! :)

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2024, 07:24:05 AM »
Never heard of Steinfeld's. But yeah, no Jews in Germany... anymore...  >:D

What did it look like? Did it look normal?

That's really weird that it went bad but it still had the vacuum seal.

Make your own, Ben. It's easy and it's fantastic...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2024, 07:32:24 AM »
Oh, and if you do decide to contact Steinfeld's, which you should, you'll want to get the UPC codes off the jar and/or lid.

Put a clothes pin on your nose.  :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2024, 07:40:39 AM »
What did it look like? Did it look normal?

That's really weird that it went bad but it still had the vacuum seal.

Make your own, Ben. It's easy and it's fantastic...

It looked perfectly normal, but man, the smell of death warmed over.

I used to make my own, but got lazy now living with a German store within an hour's drive. Yesterday definitely had me thinking about breaking out the kraut manufacturing apparatus again, though.  :laugh:

I tried taking Bob's advice to contact the company, but apparently Steinfelds was a family owned pickle factory in Portland, OR, that went out of business in the early 2000's. They apparently sold their name to some conglomerate, but I couldn't find out who the distributor is.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2024, 11:49:21 AM »
It looked perfectly normal, but man, the smell of death warmed over.

I used to make my own, but got lazy now living with a German store within an hour's drive. Yesterday definitely had me thinking about breaking out the kraut manufacturing apparatus again, though.  :laugh:

I tried taking Bob's advice to contact the company, but apparently Steinfelds was a family owned pickle factory in Portland, OR, that went out of business in the early 2000's. They apparently sold their name to some conglomerate, but I couldn't find out who the distributor is.
Doesn't the bottle have SOME kind of contact information on it? I just checked several different bottled/canned goods in my pantry, and there's AT LEAST the name, city, and state of the distributor, and often an 800 customer service number or a QR code to scan. If the Steinfelds bottle has none of these, that's a huge red flag since it seems to be sold through multiple outlets.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2024, 12:19:06 PM »
Doesn't the bottle have SOME kind of contact information on it? I just checked several different bottled/canned goods in my pantry, and there's AT LEAST the name, city, and state of the distributor, and often an 800 customer service number or a QR code to scan. If the Steinfelds bottle has none of these, that's a huge red flag since it seems to be sold through multiple outlets.

It might, but I'm not digging through my trash can to get to it at this point.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2024, 01:46:34 PM »
Welp, we now know how the Zombie Apocalypse starts.

And who's to blame.

Ben. Ben's to blame.

Because he wouldn't warn the company...

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2024, 05:27:58 PM »
Night of the Walking Sauerkraut: You can smell them coming.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2024, 05:13:19 PM »
You a zombie yet, Ben?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2024, 05:39:19 PM »
You a zombie yet, Ben?

ARGHOCOGACKDOH!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2024, 08:12:35 PM »

ARGHOCOGACKDOH!

OMG He's gone full Biden
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 09:36:07 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2024, 06:35:57 AM »
Nah, that's just spring sinus congestion.