Author Topic: Trump vs Biden and CNN Debate  (Read 8495 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Trump vs Biden and CNN Debate
« on: June 25, 2024, 04:57:00 PM »
A couple of days away, but I thought I'd start the thread early. I most always just catch the highlights of debates, because I can't stand to sit through the whole thing, but I might sit through at least this first one between Trump and Biden. I had mentioned elsewhere here, that given all the concessions that Trump agreed to, while Biden shot most of the ones Trump ask for down, that for me, Trump pretty much wins this debate just by showing up in enemy territory. Biden would never show up to anything hosted by Fox.

Otherwise, a few thoughts I have:

CNN has made a big deal about "fact checks", which I'm betting will be a one way street. They might throw in a few minor "fact checks" on Biden that won't hurt him, like they might fact check when Biden brings up his "only 1% inflation", and say that it only covers a small amount of time.  I'm sure they won't mention that it was lower under Trump.

I'm betting that the "cold mics" will be messed with in favor of Biden. For instance, cutting Trump off exactly on time while letting Biden go over time "to finish his thought".

Obviously softball questions in one direction, and hardballs in the other.

Also as I mentioned in another thread, Tinfoil Ben believes there is at least a very small chance that an "urgent crisis" comes up Thursday morning that "requires" Biden to postpone. Maybe Ukraine will help him out.

In fairness, I also expect Trump to invoke unlikeable teenage mean girl Trump at least a few times. He actually seems to have toned that down a LOT this run compared to 2016 and 2020, and has been coming off a lot more presidential, but Trump is still Trump.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Trump vs Biden and CNN Debate
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2024, 05:07:59 PM »
As much as I want to be interested, my presumptive pessimism still insists it's going to be a complete *expletive deleted*it show that's not worth the aggravation. SWMBO will probably watch. I'll probably catch some of it, but likely switch to YouTube using earbuds on my phone after a few minutes. I don't know for sure, though.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2024, 08:36:40 AM »
. . .
I'm betting that the "cold mics" will be messed with in favor of Biden. For instance, cutting Trump off exactly on time while letting Biden go over time "to finish his thought". . . .
I fully expect the moderators to interrupt Trump to "fact check" him while he's talking and thereby cut his response time short. Or use their time to "rebut" Trump and support Biden.

I hope Trump has some short, succinct, well prepared comments ready to go when (not if) the moderators behave . . . immoderately.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2024, 08:50:13 AM »
I've seen some people claiming that there will be repeated "microphone" issues when Trump tries to respond... but no problems at all for Stumbles.

I, too, think the thing is going to be a complete *expletive deleted*it show and have no intention of watching.

I'm really not so sure that CNN is going to overtly go Biden ally to the point of real time "fact checking," especially not in a manner overtly favorable to Biden. That would likely cause the network huge image problems, problems which they really can't afford.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2024, 08:56:04 AM »
That would likely cause the network huge image problems, problems which they really can't afford.
They have no reputation to lose.  It's not like if they behave badly as expected they will lose any viewers.  It is a very rare Trump supporter, indeed, who turns to CNN for unbiased news.  That is unlikely to change even if the moderators are perfectly fair in this case.

griz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2024, 09:19:00 AM »
I'm kind of curious about this one too.  On the one hand, Biden doesn't seem capable of focusing on a topic long enough for a debate, and on the other hand Trump will provide enough digs to keep Biden fired up so he won't freeze up or wander off.  I'll find a way to watch unless it becomes a farse, which still may be a high probability.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2024, 09:24:10 AM »
They have no reputation to lose.  It's not like if they behave badly as expected they will lose any viewers.  It is a very rare Trump supporter, indeed, who turns to CNN for unbiased news.  That is unlikely to change even if the moderators are perfectly fair in this case.

I think you may be underestimating the number of undecided, middle of the ground voters that are still out there, including both Republicans and Democrats. If it seems like too much of a CNN-DNC coordinated hit job to prop up Biden it could sway undecided voters away from both.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2024, 09:24:50 AM »
" I'll find a way to watch unless it becomes a farse, which still may be a high probability."

Yeah, I'm believing it will be a complete farce.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2024, 09:34:22 AM »
I think you may be underestimating the number of undecided, middle of the ground voters that are still out there, including both Republicans and Democrats. If it seems like too much of a CNN-DNC coordinated hit job to prop up Biden it could sway undecided voters away from both.

Yes.  IMO, that sort of thing only helps Trump's outsider image. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2024, 09:35:36 AM »
I've seen some people claiming that there will be repeated "microphone" issues when Trump tries to respond... but no problems at all for Stumbles.

I, too, think the thing is going to be a complete *expletive deleted*it show and have no intention of watching.

I'm really not so sure that CNN is going to overtly go Biden ally to the point of real time "fact checking," especially not in a manner overtly favorable to Biden. That would likely cause the network huge image problems, problems which they really can't afford.
I figure I will watch one of the livestreams like Crowder.  If they talk over the debate, I at least mostly agree with their commentary. 

Many of the internet livestreams will get more viewers than CNN.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2024, 09:38:53 AM »
Has anyone posted a drinking game?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“Those who believe without reason cannot be convinced by reason.”
― James Randi

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2024, 09:45:07 AM »
Has anyone posted a drinking game?
Drink until you pass out.  The winner is the one who has to watch the least of the debate.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2024, 09:52:38 AM »
A funny thought occurred to me while I was fixing breakfast.  Wouldn't it be hilarious if "Biden the Impaired", in the middle of the debate said to his handlers, "Hey guys, this earpiece is too loud.  Can you turn it down?"
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2024, 09:57:55 AM »
Drink until you pass out.  The winner is the one who has to watch the least of the debate.

I'm in.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2024, 09:58:35 AM »
Sounds like a plan
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2024, 10:18:48 AM »
Many of the internet livestreams will get more viewers than CNN.

On the tangent, apparently CNN made some bold statement about nobody on the internets had better break DMCA and livestream any CNN debate  content, and Elon replied with an Elon reply.  =)

https://twitchy.com/aaronwalker/2024/06/25/whoa-dmca-does-not-apply-elon-musk-lays-down-the-law-on-debate-coverage-on-twitterx-n2397637

Pretty good example of "poke the bear", since Elon can just unplug CNN from X anytime he wants, and CNN can't do anything to him.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

griz

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2024, 10:27:47 AM »
Just heard a theory on a local radio station about why this first debate is so early.  Early as in neither candidate has officially been nominated.  If Biden completely blows it, such as he can't physically or mentally debate, the party can ease him to the side and nominate somebody else and at least appear to be connected to reality.  Sounds conspiratorial but I see some sense in it.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2024, 10:30:13 AM »
A funny thought occurred to me while I was fixing breakfast.  Wouldn't it be hilarious if "Biden the Impaired", in the middle of the debate said to his handlers, "Hey guys, this earpiece is too loud.  Can you turn it down?"

"Repeat line"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2024, 11:09:43 AM »
CNN has made a big deal about "fact checks", which I'm betting will be a one way street. They might throw in a few minor "fact checks" on Biden that won't hurt him, like they might fact check when Biden brings up his "only 1% inflation", and say that it only covers a small amount of time.  I'm sure they won't mention that it was lower under Trump.

Biden: I have brought the deficit down
CNN: Our fact checkers have determined this to be true

Biden: I have brought grocery prices down

Biden: The Border is secure

Biden: The reason the border is not secure is because the Rs won't let me secure it.
CNN: Our fact checkers have determined this to be also true. Biden is on a roll here

Biden: Repeat line

Trump: The sky is blue
CNN: Our fact checkers have determined this to be a lie and that saying the sky is blue is a racist dog whistle
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2024, 12:02:27 PM »

I first read that as winner ... has to watch the last of the debate and thought "you sadistic bastard".

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2024, 12:30:29 PM »

Can someone jam the likely freqs?

I really want to know will we ever see the toxicology report if they get a little too much amphetamines in Joe and he has one final glitch mid sentence.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2024, 12:36:22 PM »
Can someone jam the likely freqs?

Ha ha - I was just thinking the other day that it would be hilarious if somebody hooked Trump up with a microtransmitter that would send feedback to anything within like 30', then watch Biden freak out and put his hand straight to his ear.  :laugh:

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2024, 12:40:21 PM »
How many drinks if Biden does the poopy stance?
How many if he walks to the wrong podium or just keeps walking?
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2024, 01:10:48 PM »
Biden will be doped to the eyeballs, and he'll probably be breathing pure O2 until he walks out.  They're probably going to be crossing their fingers that he doesn't crash until after he's off stage. Kind of like when a street racer soups up a motor in his car - it gains a lot of HP for a while, but when it fails, it can be both unexpected and spectacular.

Ha ha - I was just thinking the other day that it would be hilarious if somebody hooked Trump up with a microtransmitter that would send feedback to anything within like 30', then watch Biden freak out and put his hand straight to his ear.  :laugh:
Excellent idea!  :rofl:  You know, it would actually make sense for Trump to hire some tech whizzes who'd scan for likely frequencies out in the parking lot and be prepared to jam or (better still) over ride whatever they're wirelessly feeding Biden.

Trump: The sky is blue
CNN: Our fact checkers have determined this to be a lie and that saying the sky is blue is a racist dog whistle. Moreover we have noted that Hitler also thought the sky was blue, meaning once again Trump is aligned with Nazi philosophy.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2024, 02:37:44 PM »

(courtesy of The Babylon Bee, of course)
"... and now I want to hand it over to the president of Ukraine who has as much courage as he has determination.  Ladies and gentlemen, President Putin."
                          - Joe Biden, July 11, 2024