Author Topic: Trump vs Biden and CNN Debate  (Read 8496 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Trump vs Biden and CNN Debate
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2024, 05:21:33 PM »
In fairness, I know nothing about "debate surrogates" one way or another, so maybe this is a nothing story. Is this a thing? Or is this something new that Brandon is doing? What does a surrogate do?

https://twitchy.com/dougp/2024/06/26/the-switch-is-on-heres-one-of-bidens-surrogates-at-tomorrows-debate-n2397691
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2024, 05:27:20 PM »
Be interesting to see if they did replace him with Newsom what lengths the media will go to in providing cover as to the reasons
« Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 06:53:04 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“Those who believe without reason cannot be convinced by reason.”
― James Randi

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2024, 06:48:47 PM »
SWMBO has decreed that the debate will be recorded from two channels, CNN & Fox.  She has shown leniency in allowing me to be in another room when she watches the recordings. 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2024, 10:04:46 PM »
In fairness, I know nothing about "debate surrogates" one way or another, so maybe this is a nothing story. Is this a thing? Or is this something new that Brandon is doing? What does a surrogate do?

https://twitchy.com/dougp/2024/06/26/the-switch-is-on-heres-one-of-bidens-surrogates-at-tomorrows-debate-n2397691

I believe I have heard of this from prior debates. I think it is "a thing," as the kids say.
Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?
--Thomas Jefferson

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2024, 10:06:17 PM »
On the tangent, apparently CNN made some bold statement about nobody on the internets had better break DMCA and livestream any CNN debate  content, and Elon replied with an Elon reply.  =)

https://twitchy.com/aaronwalker/2024/06/25/whoa-dmca-does-not-apply-elon-musk-lays-down-the-law-on-debate-coverage-on-twitterx-n2397637

Pretty good example of "poke the bear", since Elon can just unplug CNN from X anytime he wants, and CNN can't do anything to him.

On the one hand, CNN is struggling, so that would easily explain why they want to protect their content. On the other hand, it may mean they don't want that many people actually watching Brandon's performance.
Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?
--Thomas Jefferson

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2024, 03:15:27 AM »
I believe I have heard of this from prior debates. I think it is "a thing," as the kids say.
I hadn’t, but it appears to largely be people chosen to defend their candidate’s performance and positions in media, so yes, a thing.

WLJ

• friends
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2024, 01:20:27 PM »

Never heard of this as a term for Presidential debates.  Are they saying Newsom will walk out on stage instead of Biden? 

If so, Trump should just leave.  Newsom is nothing unless than the Dems are saying he is the nominee. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2024, 02:53:07 PM »
SO MANY people are saying that the CNN moderators are going to be biased I wonder if maybe - just maybe - they'll actually take a stab at being impartial?

If they do - and that's a big IF - I figure it will only last until it dawns on them that Trump is getting the better of Biden. Then they'll drop all pretense of being fair and become rabid attack dogs doing  everything they can to goad Trump into losing his composure.

When they ask Trump about his criminal charges, Trump will certainly say something along the lines of it being Democrat lawfare. That would be an opportunity to ask the moderator "You know, I say it's all political, you certainly will disagree. Let's meet in the middle - you ask me about whatever charges you want that were brought by someone - ANYone - other than a Democrat or Democrat appointee, and I'll do my best to answer. Deal?"
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2024, 04:05:09 PM »
"they'll actually take a stab at being impartial?"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sure. Why not?

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2024, 04:47:15 PM »
CNN says that while they won't be able to fact check in realtime, it would be unfair to put the onus on Biden to call out Trump's lies, so they will need to assist him with that to keep things fair.

https://twitchy.com/dougp/2024/06/27/cnn-moderators-wont-place-the-responsibility-of-calling-out-trumps-lies-entirely-on-biden-n2397727
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2024, 07:49:06 PM »
Don't think I'm going to be able to stomach this. Will catch the highlights later.
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2024, 07:54:08 PM »
Don't think I'm going to be able to stomach this. Will catch the highlights later.

I can't consume anything political in other than very short time slices.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2024, 08:04:42 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2024, 08:05:26 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2024, 08:22:44 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2024, 08:39:21 PM »
Rumble was very slow to come up.  Hard to retry a bunch of times.  Finally got Stephen Crowder's stream going on Rumble.  He started at 7:30 PM Central.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2024, 09:05:32 PM »
Two minutes in and I'm done. "Trump told people to inject bleach in their arms". No fact checkers to be seen.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2024, 09:05:55 PM »

2 minutes in, Joe talked about being from Scranton.  Check off one.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2024, 09:07:45 PM »
I don't think Joe's going to make it through the full debate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2024, 09:08:17 PM »
Also Biden is talking 100 miles a minute.

https://youtu.be/E0jYDYynBps

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2024, 09:10:55 PM »
Joe squints, hostile glare.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2024, 09:15:09 PM »
That dude is wired - both on drugs and something in his ear. He's being remotely corrected, like millions... I mean billions". He normally never corrects himself when he does that stuff, the press secretary does.

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • But they're SUPPOSED to be "military-style."
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2024, 09:19:20 PM »
Who's assigned to the fire alarm?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2024, 09:22:35 PM »
"Trump ripped babies from their mother's arms and put them in cages."