Author Topic: Um, if any THR mods read this, could you tell me why I was banned?  (Read 15762 times)

wooderson

• friend
My last two posts were joking about how I don't like kids and, uh, I think I said something about needing a Hi-Power. That's pretty much it for the last two weeks.

So, um, yeah. I don't really care at this point (gun-specific forums being a better source of info), I'm just curious why. E-mail me, PM here, or post it, whichever you're comfortable with.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Re: Um, if any THR mods read this, could you tell me why I was banned?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 02:43:52 PM »
You were banned because you offended the Powers That Be.  That's all it takes.  They dont have to give you a reason. 
Now get back to your tilling, serf.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 03:12:49 PM »
Seriously, if you think you were treated unfairly, just PM Oleg Volk here and ask him.  He should be able to find out which mod banned you and why.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 03:39:49 PM »
Uh, were saying that you don't like kids and then wanting a Hi-Power in the same thread?   shocked

Were you wooderson on THR?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 04:09:29 PM »
Different threads, different threads.

I dunno if mistreated is the right word, I just found it bizarre to be able to view the site before lunch, make no posts, go see the Bourne Ultimatum and come back to a ban without any kind of warning or suggestion why.

If I don't hear from anyone, I'll try to PM Oleg tomorrow.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Ron

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 05:29:31 PM »
I don't have moderator issues generally anywhere I post, but there seems to be a couple at THR that always come up in these discussions.

I'm a moderator friendly personality.

If everyone was like me it would be a boring world.

e-mail Oleg, he will find out what you did wrong.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 06:04:53 PM »
Wood,

I read your last post on THR, the one about kids at gun shows.

I didn't read anything that I would consider ban-worthy.  I'm not a moderator at THR or anywhere else, but your post didn't raise my "uh-oh" flag.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 07:18:44 PM »
This may shed some light on the topic.

Legal & Political is closed, until further notice. The rules of the other forums (General Discussion, etc) remain in effect. If the discussion is not directly gun related, it is off topic and will be dealt with accordingly. Do not take your non-gun related L&P topics to other forums on THR. They will be locked.

Why has this been done?

Simple. The High Road has not been very high-road, of late. Incivility, rudeness, crudeness, ranting, raving and various other forms of uncivilized behavior have become entirely too prevalent. The signal to noise ratio has shifted, and not in a good direction. This is unacceptable to the owner of the site, and the Moderators and Administrators concur. Therefore, the forum that seems to be at the heart of this activity, the Legal and Political forum, has been shut down. It will remain closed until we decide to reopen it. In the meantime, remember the core mission of this site, discussion of firearms and firearms issues, and continue posting in the other open forums.

Continues at: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=3604100#post3604100

Note that for non-mods, Coronach notice looks like the ONLY posting available on L&P.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Ron

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 08:02:30 PM »
I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about it, but to tell you the truth my time at THR has dropped considerably lately.

My natural inclination to go to L&P and the decline of that forum has probably been a big reason why.

I don't agree with all you folks but I much prefer discussing topics here than there.

My last foray into the Ron Paul wars over at THR was more than enough.

SomeKid

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 08:47:01 PM »
Coro noted one thing that always bugged me in L&P. Posters always whined about how their 1A was being trampled on the forum. Call it a pet peeve, but that stupidity always grated me. Oh well.

As an aside, did pax lose her mod hat on THR? Her name wasn't bolded last time I checked. Are they related?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 08:54:56 PM »
Coro noted one thing that always bugged me in L&P. Posters always whined about how their 1A was being trampled on the forum. Call it a pet peeve, but that stupidity always grated me.

Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist. 

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 09:20:58 PM »
The batch of bans done today followed weeks of discussions among moderators. Only those who had the unanimous decisions were banned for what was perceived as uncivil conduct or mis-using the forum. The transgressions may have happened days ago, but the implementation of the decision was delayed while we reviewed each user. It isn't personal, only trying to keep THR consistent with its name.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 09:23:29 PM »
Simple. The High Road has not been very high-road, of late. Incivility, rudeness, crudeness, ranting, raving and various other forms of uncivilized behavior have become entirely too prevalent.

Beatings bannings will continue until morale improves.  rolleyes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 09:37:19 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 10:33:54 PM »
Whew... I was a little worried there for a moment... At one time or another, I've more or less managed to figure out just which THR mods have a sense of humor...

Blog under construction

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2007, 11:16:37 PM »
You're not alone, pal.  I got banned last night.  No idea why.  Seven years and seven thousand posts.  I guess I had 'em fooled for a long, long time, huh?  I can't access anything on THR any more and my ban is, I'm told, permanent.

I used to think that one day I'd go to THR and find it shuttered.  That would be a sign of where the country had arrived.  Little did I realize I had my scenario a little wrong...  Live and learn.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Len Budney

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2007, 02:36:44 AM »
Yep, that makes three of us. No idea what resulted in the ban.

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2007, 03:44:50 AM »
I haven't been banned yet, but then again, neither have I posted there in a while.

All the good topics seem to be here as of late, THR seems to be so ban happy lately it's stifling discussion.

Thread drift is to be expected, as are heated posts.  THR, to me, has shifting from a 'clothing required' policy to a straight jacket.  The mods themselves are causing more stifling of intelligent discussion than the so called 'trolls'*.

*There's a large difference between a 'troll' and a poster who occasionally makes a non-politically correct post or gets heated.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2007, 03:55:39 AM »
I can't access anything on THR any more and my ban is, I'm told, permanent.

Try deleting cookies.  That way, you should be able to read the forums, though you still can't post.  If you use Internet Explorer, go to the Tools menu, and select Internet Options. 

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2007, 04:54:44 AM »
There are some folks who are VERY tightly wrapped as far as some subjects are concerned. To the point of "this is the rule, and it shall remain inviolate." While at the same time acknowledging that the rule is not working, and is in fact counterproductive. In some cases, I think they've basically worked against 2nd amendment issues, for no other reason than an interpretation of the rule set. Which tends to get dumbed down to zero tolerance.

Then again, the majority of the mods there are pretty cool. There are just a few who are of the "it's engraved in stone, so therefore it's engraved in stone" mindset.

Blog under construction

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2007, 04:58:47 AM »
pax dropped out of moderating because she has a real life. Cheesy  Homeschooling her kids, family stuff, shooting classes, and her own Cornered Cat website.  Moderating can eat up a helluva lot of time.
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2007, 05:12:06 AM »
The owner is entitled to set whatever rules they want.

IMO, if they want to ban certain points of view, or discussions of certain issues, which seems to be the case to me, then they should just do so, and close any thread that wanders in that direction.

I must have missed the really offensive stuff, or it got deleted, because I haven't seen anything so offensive that mass bannings are needed. But, that is just my opinion and my opinion does not count.

Or maybe my level of tolerance for viewpoints I do not agree with is much higher than the owners is.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Len Budney

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2007, 05:18:10 AM »
Art, is there any chance that those of us in the batch-banning will ever find out what we did to get banned?

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2007, 05:58:30 AM »
I think THR is suffering from some sabotage.

Since the last election their has been a dramatic increase in "progressive" newbies.

It has made moderating rather frustrating and unfortunately caused several of the moderators to have
short fuses and little to no tolerance for incivility. As well as a diminished capacity for sarcastic humor.

That's what happens when rational thinking people like ourselves decide to go into their forums* and debate them civilly with logic and common sense.
* *edit* I'm refering to Dailykos,Demunderground, and the brady camp.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2007, 06:12:26 AM »
Haha, I have a pretty good idea why I 'deserved' a banning. In January or February (before I started avoiding the political area), after some guy accused me of supporting mass murder or some other nonsense, I told him he was incoherent (that was it - didn't curse his mother or anything, and trust me, that was tempting).

A certain moderator decided that was beyond the pale and that ad hominem in my direction was OK, but I had best not tell someone (who agreed with her) that his argument was incoherent. That was the sole incident in which I interacted with a THR mod (that I recall), being asked to edit something.

There were other times I basically told the same mod on political threads that she simply didn't have an idea what she was talking about (no different from any other political thread), but I was never even asked to edit those.