Author Topic: Walking dead season 6 (spoilers within)  (Read 46556 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Walking dead season 6 (spoilers within)
« Reply #225 on: March 21, 2016, 01:56:58 PM »
"I suppose, but if casting is a challenge, then drawing jackets and turning lead into wire for the cores will be even more challenging."

Incorrect!

Every heavy machine shop I've ever been in has at least the basic capability to do both of those things.

Even better, you can MAKE what you need -- the dies and swages -- to do that.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #226 on: March 21, 2016, 02:00:12 PM »
Probably referring to this:  http://www.sergeantyorkproject.com/ammunition.pdf

Yes, that talks about the Balle D as being the French Lebel round.

But that article doesn't give the reason why I referenced it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #227 on: March 21, 2016, 02:01:20 PM »
"I suppose, but if casting is a challenge, then drawing jackets and turning lead into wire for the cores will be even more challenging."

Incorrect!

Every heavy machine shop I've ever been in has at least the basic capability to do both of those things.

Even better, you can MAKE what you need -- the dies and swages -- to do that.

But will our intrepid heroes know how?  Bullet casting is pretty intuitive once you have the moulds.  Not only that, but the process has been shown in some movies (casting musket balls from lead soldiers in The Patriot for example).

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #228 on: March 21, 2016, 02:02:24 PM »
"Honestly, if it were me, I'd focus on reloading for handguns and larger bore non-FA/semi rifles and use those rather than the bullet hoses unless bullet hosing is necessary."

Yep.

For people constantly worried about their ammo levels, they sure do use it stupidly.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #229 on: March 21, 2016, 02:03:10 PM »
But will our intrepid heroes know how?  Bullet casting is pretty intuitive once you have the moulds.  Not only that, but the process has been shown in some movies (casting musket balls from lead soldiers in The Patriot for example).

Chris

Dude!

We're talking Eugene here!

The Mullet of Knowledge!

Of course he knows how to do it!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #230 on: March 21, 2016, 02:04:21 PM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #231 on: March 21, 2016, 02:05:17 PM »
"intrepid heroes"

And what the hell are you doing?

Harkening back to radio serials of old to set up next week's cliff hangar action?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #232 on: March 21, 2016, 02:06:04 PM »
Something like that. :P

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #233 on: March 21, 2016, 02:08:50 PM »
The biggest problem with cast lead bullets in something like a .223 rifle is going to be a VERY high possibility of leading the hell out of the bore.

And with bore leading comes...

A blocked gas port, which means you've now got a straight pull bolt action rifle.

If you can lay into a supply of lever action rifles chambered for .357 or .44 Magnums, you're in like flynn.

And, once the smokeless powder runs out, you can make your own black powder...

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #234 on: March 21, 2016, 02:12:40 PM »
The biggest problem with cast lead bullets in something like a .223 rifle is going to be a VERY high possibility of leading the hell out of the bore.

And with bore leading comes...

A blocked gas port, which means you've now got a straight pull bolt action rifle.

Which is why I suggested not bothering and using other guns instead of the gas-powered semis unless necessary.  Even loading for a gas-powered gun can be tricky if you're new to reloading in general.  Revolver, single shot, and bolt gun will be much easier.  With the experience gained there, one can move onto recoil-operated semis.  By the time that is mastered, the gas-powered guns will be an easier task.

That said, if they can find gunpowder and primers where they are, factory jacketed bullets will be easy to find.  The issue with "Alexandria" is there aren't many sources for reloading components, with even fewer offering casting equipment (the main need being bullet moulds).  I get most of my reloading and casting gear via mail order and pick up my powder and primers at gunshows or while traveling.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #235 on: March 21, 2016, 02:18:46 PM »
"I get most of my reloading and casting gear via mail order...."

Oh, you can still do that!

Only deliver is a bit slower now that it's being handled by Zombie Express, the slightly rotted delivery company.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #236 on: March 21, 2016, 02:51:07 PM »
Oh, the big problem with not loading .223 is that most of them have...

Rifles in .223.

Gotta go with that, which is what Eugene said.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #237 on: March 21, 2016, 04:21:31 PM »
Lead? Just find old houses and buildings, lead was used as fire proofing between floors several decades ago.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #238 on: March 21, 2016, 05:30:56 PM »
 :facepalm:   It might be simpler to simply switch over to cap & ball firearms. [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #239 on: March 21, 2016, 05:48:38 PM »
Well crud. I liked her.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #240 on: March 21, 2016, 05:54:53 PM »
Great for dealing with a herd...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #241 on: March 22, 2016, 07:14:36 AM »
Lead? Just find old houses and buildings, lead was used as fire proofing between floors several decades ago.

Hospitals. Lead shielding around the Xray suites and nuclear medicine labs. Only problem is... those are in cities, and those are walker central.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #242 on: March 22, 2016, 08:09:34 AM »
Cars.  Lead wheel weights.  Any tire shop will have buckets of them.
Sporting goods stores; fishing weights.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #243 on: March 22, 2016, 11:02:33 AM »
Hospitals. Lead shielding around the Xray suites and nuclear medicine labs. Only problem is... those are in cities, and those are walker central.
Cars.  Lead wheel weights.  Any tire shop will have buckets of them.
Sporting goods stores; fishing weights.

Well, one problem is that modern ammunition uses lead alloyed with antimony to harden it.  Blackpowder weapons used pure lead but with the development of smokeless powders higher velocities became possible, which caused gunmakers to have to use deeper rifling.  This in turn necessitated hardening the lead so it wouldn't shear off and lead the barrel.  It's also why most modern rifle ammo is semi-jacketed.
If our intrepid TWD survivors don't get it right they will go through that learning curve all over again.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #244 on: March 22, 2016, 11:08:33 AM »
Well, one problem is that modern ammunition uses lead alloyed with antimony to harden it.  Blackpowder weapons used pure lead but with the development of smokeless powders higher velocities became possible, which caused gunmakers to have to use deeper rifling.  This in turn necessitated hardening the lead so it wouldn't shear off and lead the barrel.  It's also why most modern rifle ammo is semi-jacketed.
If our intrepid TWD survivors don't get it right they will go through that learning curve all over again.

Don't you guys get it?

The Mullet of Knowledge has this *expletive deleted*it cover...

COVERED.

:rofl:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #245 on: March 22, 2016, 11:12:39 AM »

Something they wouldn't put in a script (unless they hired an APS writer).  :laugh:

But in a real zombie apocalypse (that's right Charby - the ZA is real and will happen!), people who got the bright idea to reload would be in for a bit of a shock if it's something they haven't done before. I'm sure all of us here have our learning curve stories. They don't even have to involve double charges or anything ZOMG, but just little things, like not putting a taper crimp on cartridges that need it or not properly seating a bullet and running into an FTF. No big deal at the gun club. Something else entirely when facing Negan's people. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #246 on: March 22, 2016, 02:19:01 PM »
Well crud. I liked her.

Denise or Carol?

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #247 on: March 23, 2016, 06:43:01 AM »
You could always watch Nurse Jackie if you miss Denise.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #248 on: March 27, 2016, 10:52:55 PM »
 :facepalm:  Has no one in our group learned anything about situational awareness???  Those were awfully thin trees to hide behind there......and Darryl, YOU cannot keep your  ears open to the sound of footsteps in the forest?

And what  kind of machine gun did Carol have up her sleeve?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #249 on: March 28, 2016, 07:25:16 AM »
I agree, I call shenanigans on Darryl getting caught like that.

All in all, I think that this was one of the more contrived episodes. I'm also beginning to wonder if Carol's near hysteria is really an act or not.

And holy hell, she was 12.75 klicks (8 miles) away from Alexandria? There is no place that looks even remotely like that in this area -- rolling farm fields, virtually no houses, and hills that are a LOT higher than anything we have around here.