Author Topic: China quarantines an entire city  (Read 23900 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: China quarantines an entire city
« Reply #125 on: February 10, 2020, 08:08:17 AM »
"These lockdowns on Chinese movement may end up creating another effect we talk about around here - disruption of goods and services."

Yeah, that's been a topic of discussion on various financial news and social media organizations for the better part of 2 weeks now.

It's dragged down the price of oil from $60 or so a a barrel to $50 a barrel.

I've been seeing that on the Fox Business, but am actually ready to move into the tinfoil domain of the possibility of "Just in Time" inventory disruption of daily necessities. I'm not giving it a high percentage possibility at this point, but am concerned enough of the possibility (maybe 20% right now?) that, as I said, if I didn't already have reserves, I'd look at acquiring them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #126 on: February 10, 2020, 01:08:10 PM »
I've been seeing that on the Fox Business, but am actually ready to move into the tinfoil domain of the possibility of "Just in Time" inventory disruption of daily necessities. I'm not giving it a high percentage possibility at this point, but am concerned enough of the possibility (maybe 20% right now?) that, as I said, if I didn't already have reserves, I'd look at acquiring them.

This is going to affect my workplace as we obtain a lot of our raw materials from china. However, we usually have at least 3 qualified suppliers for just about every material we purchase to mitigate supply chain risk. I’m guessing any well run company operates the same.
The last time we had a supply chain disruption was around 2009-2010 after the onset of the housing crisis. We get all of our bulk solvents domestically, the paint industry (which uses some overlap in materials) was heavily hit by the housing crisis/recession, so a few of our solvents were difficult to get for about a year.

As far as household goods go, we are stocking up but keeping a close watch on the news. If a major city starts seeing dozens of new cases, that’ll be my sign to dig in. I’m not too worried about CONUS yet, so long as fed.gov doesn’t screw the pooch. China right now reminds me of one of those crime novels, where a perp kills or robs someone, then decides to kill a dozen more people in order to try to cover up the original crime. They knew they had a problem 2 months ago and tried to hide it, until it got away from them.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #128 on: February 10, 2020, 01:44:20 PM »
Good lord! The solution was so simple to this all the time and it took a TV doctor to figure it out!

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/10/op-ed-gottlieb-says-screening-and-fist-bumps-over-hand-shakes-will-help-protect-against-coronavirus.html

:facepalm:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2020, 04:16:58 PM »
Good lord! The solution was so simple to this all the time and it took a TV doctor to figure it out!

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/10/op-ed-gottlieb-says-screening-and-fist-bumps-over-hand-shakes-will-help-protect-against-coronavirus.html

I mourn the demise of journalism.

Singapore, where community spread seems to be taking route, has about as many travelers arriving from China as the U.S. does — around 3 million a year.

"Route"? Did the author mean "root"? It makes absolutely no sense as written. But it's CNBC, so ...

And this:

There are also steps people can take to reduce their individual risk amidst the uncertainty. Your absolute risk of contracting coronavirus will remain low, even if pockets of infection start to emerge. That can change if the outbreaks widen. But good hygiene in the winter flu season is sound practice. So is getting a flu vaccine. This can reduce the chance that you could catch both infections, which can be especially dangerous, if coronavirus outbreaks do start to emerge.

I thought the flu vaccine was ineffective against coronavirus.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #131 on: February 10, 2020, 08:14:21 PM »
This can reduce the chance that you could catch both infections, which can be especially dangerous, if coronavirus outbreaks do start to emerge.

It would double suck to have the regular flu and the kung flu at the same time
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2020, 10:16:57 PM »
https://www.infowars.com/beijing-falls-to-coronavirus-capital-of-china-locked-down-under-pandemic-quarantine/
BEIJING FALLS TO CORONAVIRUS… capital of China locked down under pandemic quarantine

Its Infowars so you can decided how good the source is.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #133 on: February 10, 2020, 10:21:29 PM »
https://www.infowars.com/beijing-falls-to-coronavirus-capital-of-china-locked-down-under-pandemic-quarantine/
BEIJING FALLS TO CORONAVIRUS… capital of China locked down under pandemic quarantine

Its Infowars so you can decided how good the source is.   =)

I haven't clicked on the link but does it involve lizard people and/or chem trails?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #134 on: February 10, 2020, 10:50:59 PM »
Where is my damned asteroid strike!!??
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #135 on: February 11, 2020, 12:07:50 AM »
Saw a news headline stating:
'Most devastating plague of locusts' in recent history could come within weeks, U.N. warns

So you're getting there, RKL.

The asteroid strike might well be unpredictable though.  Based on statistical population estimates, about two thirds of near earth objects larger than 460 feet still remain to be discovered.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #136 on: February 11, 2020, 07:31:10 AM »
"I thought the flu vaccine was ineffective against coronavirus."

Flu vaccine has no effect on Corona Virus. What that article is saying is that, if you catch the regular flu and Corona Virus is in your community you stand a MUCH greater chance of contracting Corona because your immune system will be weakened.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #137 on: February 11, 2020, 08:27:47 AM »
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/health/story/2020-02-10/san-diego-county-has-firt

"A botched test result from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention allowed an evacuee infected with the coronavirus to leave a San Diego hospital Sunday after initially being told by the CDC that they were in the clear."

:facepalm:

Barack Obama

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #138 on: February 11, 2020, 08:51:00 AM »
We should start seeing non Asian populations being impacted soon.

Although, in a couple of places I've read that it seems to be more infectious and hard to treat among Asian people.

Scary stuff.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #139 on: February 11, 2020, 09:18:18 AM »
We should start seeing non Asian populations being impacted soon.

Although, in a couple of places I've read that it seems to be more infectious and hard to treat among Asian people.

Scary stuff.

Something about Coronavirus working with ACE2 receptors, which Asians have a much higher number of than other races.

Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #140 on: February 11, 2020, 09:49:41 AM »
I haven't clicked on the link but does it involve lizard people and/or chem trails?
I didn't see that in this specific article.  ....but I didn't browse around the site. 

On that note, I did watch Iron Sky II on Netflix.  It wasn't that good (at all), but added Hollow Earth and Aliens.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #141 on: February 11, 2020, 04:40:10 PM »
The WHO* have officially named the coronavirus COVID-19.

*World Health Organization, not Pete Townshend & co.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #142 on: February 11, 2020, 05:05:03 PM »
Corona needs to pay for some brand placement.   =)

brimic

• friends

Barack Obama

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #144 on: February 12, 2020, 06:24:05 PM »
WeChina is currently living in a bad B movie.

https://www.facebook.com/352193108780998/posts/482767342390240/?d=n
https://www.facebook.com/352193108780998/posts/482768049056836/?d=n

H/T Viking

Is there some other 2% mortality disease we take measures like that for or are people lying their asses off?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: February 12, 2020, 08:09:17 PM »
There's been a lot of general questioning of how reliable the numbers coming out of china are, but honestly, it's an evolving situation, and probably nobody really knows for sure.

However, WHO personnel are in China now, and the most recently released numbers shot up to 59,493 cases, 1353 deaths.  I believe they changed some of the criteria and are allowing clinically diagnosed cases to be counted, not just rt-PCR lab confirmed cases.

China state media declared martial law for the next 14 days in Shiyan, a city of 3.3m people.  No private vehicles are to be on the road, and no civilians are permitted to leave their residences.  Anyone attempting to leave their residence will be arrested.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #146 on: February 12, 2020, 08:14:57 PM »

China state media declared martial law for the next 14 days in Shiyan, a city of 3.3m people.  No private vehicles are to be on the road, and no civilians are permitted to leave their residences.  Anyone attempting to leave their residence will be arrested.

What are the supposed to eat? I don't routinely keep a 14-day supply of food in  the house. I know that condemns me in the eyes of the prepper, "gotta have a 6-month supply of MREs and freeze dried meals at all times" folk, but that's just the way it is.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #147 on: February 12, 2020, 08:30:15 PM »
Is there some other 2% mortality disease we take measures like that for or are people lying their asses off?
While I agree that it is likely that they are lying, there is also a big difference between a virus that has a 2% mortality rate but very low transmission rate and a virus that is easily transmissible but the same mortality rate.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #148 on: February 12, 2020, 08:41:53 PM »
What are the supposed to eat? I don't routinely keep a 14-day supply of food in  the house. I know that condemns me in the eyes of the prepper, "gotta have a 6-month supply of MREs and freeze dried meals at all times" folk, but that's just the way it is.

It's a very recent development, so I'm not sure exactly.  A commenter that presumable can read the Chinese document notes that the local government will be rationing and delivering basic living needs to residents.  Google translate roughly notes it as: "The basic necessities of residents are provided by townships, sub-districts (development zones, new industrial zones) and village (neighbourhood) committees for regular, fixed-type and fixed-price distribution."

Edited to add:  Looks like it's one region on the city, only 400,000 people...

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #149 on: February 12, 2020, 08:51:21 PM »
What are the supposed to eat? I don't routinely keep a 14-day supply of food in  the house. I know that condemns me in the eyes of the prepper, "gotta have a 6-month supply of MREs and freeze dried meals at all times" folk, but that's just the way it is.
I live in Hurricane country so people say to keep 2 or 3 weeks of food handy along with some water.  Just some extra dry food in the pantry goes a long way.  But yes, if you don't have it in the first place, not being able to get it would suck.