Author Topic: The Official Olympics Thread  (Read 27923 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
The Official Olympics Thread
« on: July 26, 2012, 05:38:14 PM »
Yes, the games are about to begin.  BFD.

Here's something I found interesting....

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--torch-relay-nazi-adolf-hitler-london-berlin-ancient-greece-flame-.html
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: The Official Olympics Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 05:58:21 PM »
As it's one of the very few sporting events I pay attention too, i'm pretty happy it's about to start.

Michel Phelps is yummy.  =D

Plus, shooting, equestrians and a whole crap load of other sports that are largely ignored by the general public of our country get some attention.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 12:24:27 AM »
I'd watch the Olympics, but they never show any of the sporting competitions....just marathon fluff pieces.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 04:33:47 AM »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 04:49:17 AM »
It's time for the Olympics again? Where are they doing it this year?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 05:37:32 AM »
I usually watch for a couple days and then fade away from it.

I do like it better these days though. Online streaming means I can actually see some of the sports I find more interesting.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 10:28:21 AM »
It's time for the Olympics again? Where are they doing it this year?

Yes.  The summer Olympics take place on the leap years where the winter Olympics take place 2 years after the summer Olympics.  London, you know where the Army put a missile launcher on the roof of a condo building.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 10:41:31 AM »
London, you know where the Army put a missile launcher on the roof of a condo building.

Yeah, I remember reading something about that and wondering if our 3rd amendment would stop that happening here.

the winter Olympics take place 2 years after the summer Olympics.

I always thought the Winter games were two years before the summer games, shows ya how much I keep up with that stuff.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 10:45:15 AM »
Yeah, I remember reading something about that and wondering if our 3rd amendment would stop that happening here.

I always thought the Winter games were two years before the summer games, shows ya how much I keep up with that stuff.

Well it could be 2 years before, it is all relative.  :P
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 01:55:07 PM »
I *may* watch some of the shooting. We have a local girl from competing in 50 meter 3 position rifle. Her dad is one of the  coaches for our club's Jr Rifle team. We also have another local in the shooting events, he first went to the Olympics twenty years ago and is now going as part of the USAMU to shoot in 50 meter prone rifle. His wife also qualified in 25 meter pistol.

An interesting sidenote to Amanda Furrer, the 3 position rifle shooter, is that she is still using the rifle she started using 8 years ago when she was 13. I would have figured a new rifle every 2-3 years, but most of her practice is dry firing, from what I understand.

bobb

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 02:55:40 PM »
Counterpoint: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/07/mma-star-ronda-rousey-blasts-michael-phelps-for-being-a-jerk/1?csp=obinsite#.UBKzmhpnWWg

First of all, eye candy is eye candy.

Second, he was 17 his first time out in Sydney, and was busting his butt in Bejing. She had one event, on which to quilify and then compete for medel. He had, what? 9? Including the relay. He's been swamped by press since 17 and mearly attempting what he did in Bejing was freeking unbelivable. I can imagine him wanting some alone time, and for *expletive deleted*it to go to his head a bit.
And I wouldn't put it past his handlers (coaches, mom ext.) to have been behind some of that.

I'll bet some of the gymnists are just as bad, and kept somewhat isolated from the older athleates. Most of them are teenagers, some barely so, with a lot of ego.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 05:53:14 PM »
Counterpoint: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/07/mma-star-ronda-rousey-blasts-michael-phelps-for-being-a-jerk/1?csp=obinsite#.UBKzmhpnWWg

Yes.....getting a MMA fighter mad at you might not be a great idea.....but it would make a great new event.....the 100m choke-out.....

.....not to mention the mixed doubles hook-up..... ;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 06:28:08 PM »
I am biased, but that was the best opening ceremony I have ever seen to any sporting event.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

birdman

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »

Like it stopped the installation of avenger turrets and other SAM assets around DC after 9/11?  why would it?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 08:31:53 PM »
I am biased, but that was the best opening ceremony I have ever seen to any sporting event.

Corgi's. I almost died.  :rofl:

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 09:26:04 PM »
Corgi's. I almost died.  :rofl:
I enjoyed that  :laugh:
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 09:44:57 PM »
Like it stopped the installation of avenger turrets and other SAM assets around DC after 9/11?  why would it?

Were they installed on private property? And, is the condo in London where they put the missiles private or government property?

Samuel Adams

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 09:50:20 PM »
Were they installed on private property? And, is the condo in London where they put the missiles private or government property?

Not sure some articles say it is private property and some articles say it is public housing.  =|

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 10:47:11 PM »
Not sure some articles say it is private property and some articles say it is public housing.  =|

Can you imagine leaving that kind of heavy weaponry around the public housing in the city near you....... [tinfoil]

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2012, 01:36:07 AM »
If anyone can explain the opening ceremony to me, please let me know.

We were sober and sans drugs, and it made little sense to us.

Even the commentary made us say "Uh, OK....?"
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2012, 01:56:48 AM »
If anyone can explain the opening ceremony to me, please let me know.

We were sober and sans drugs, and it made little sense to us.

Even the commentary made us say "Uh, OK....?"

The whole going from the dark ages to the dirty industrial revolution thing was a little strange but come on, the Blackadder playing the keyboard, what's not to like.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2012, 03:08:26 AM »
The whole going from the dark ages to the dirty industrial revolution thing was a little strange but come on, the Blackadder playing the keyboard, what's not to like.

jim
Agreed - that was great.

Seems that the Brits forgot that they are the only ones enamored with their own history.

Looking at British history, it was ironic that so many French translations took place last night......
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2012, 03:50:45 AM »
They started?

No wonder there's so much sports talk on all the channels.

How long do I have to wait until all that stops?

Can you tell I do not give a fig?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2012, 06:53:19 AM »
August 12 is when they end.