Author Topic: Ohio execution takes 25 minutes  (Read 12346 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Ohio execution takes 25 minutes
« on: January 16, 2014, 09:48:21 PM »
http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2022680162_apxohioexecution.html

So essentially, they sedated him with Versed and gave him an overdose of Dilaudid, and this took 25 minutes to kill him via respiratory depression. I think it is unfortunate that they did not also give him a large dose of potassium chloride to immediately stop his heart.  I will be interested to see if the subsequent litigation finds this method to be cruel and unusual punishment. 

I am of the belief that if we need to execute people, it should be done in as quick and painless a method as possible.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Ohio execution takes 25 minutes
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 09:51:40 PM »

So essentially, they sedated him with Versed and gave him an overdose of Dilaudid, and this took 25 minutes to kill him via respiratory depression. I think it is unfortunate that they did not also give him a large dose of potassium chloride to immediately stop his heart.  I will be interested to see if the subsequent litigation finds this method to be cruel and unusual punishment. 

I am of the belief that if we need to execute people, it should be done in as quick and painless a method as possible.

I've been told that there's no evidence that the behavior exhibited was anything other than reflexive.

Anyways, if it was agony, I wouldn't care much. Look at his crimes.

Also, the potass. chloride availability was the reason they used the new method, if i recall correctly
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 10:04:38 PM »
^^^ Actually, it was because the supply of first sodium thiopental and now pentobarbital for executions has been cut off.  The states are running out of it.  In the classic three drug protocol for execution, potassium chloride is used.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 10:09:40 PM by MillCreek »

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Ohio execution takes 25 minutes
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 10:08:24 PM »
I am against lethal injection.  Firing squad or drop hanging is perfectly adequate to the task and humane.  Gussying up an execution to look like a medical procedure is perverse.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 10:11:34 PM »
I believe CS&D has commented on this before, and I tend to agree with him.

Paraphased:  A butt-ton of heroin is painless, cheap, and effective.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 10:11:56 PM »
I don't really give a crap about his suffering. It's the people who are watching that are the issue with using noneffective drugs. Between the family members and the family of the victim (who seemed, in this case, to stand by the death penalty, while not into revenge)
Multiple wrongs don't make a right. He killed. It was proven he was guilty. He dies. Making the family of the victim and his own family feel like crap all over again because the powers that be could not put him down efficiently is stupid.

And, aside from all that. How much extra cash got shelled out to the various medical and prison personal for having to wait that crap out?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 10:13:39 PM »

So essentially, they sedated him with Versed and gave him an overdose of Dilaudid, and this took 25 minutes to kill him via respiratory depression. I think it is unfortunate that they did not also give him a large dose of potassium chloride to immediately stop his heart.  I will be interested to see if the subsequent litigation finds this method to be cruel and unusual punishment.  

I agree with the states statement that there is no entitlement to a pain free execution. But there would also seem to be a point that shouldn't be crossed, and monkeying with drug cocktails and taking 25 minutes to put the SOB down seems a might excessive.

I seriously don't understand why we try and be fancy about it. Drug combos are prone to issues, gas is bad juju, ol' sparky had it's share or botched executions. Bullet to the back of the head seems to be about as quick, painless, and fool proof as possible. Strap um down, line everything up for instant results, remote button to fire it with a couple dummy buttons if you want to do the whole "don't know which button did it" thing, sedate if you really feel the need, and be done with it. Quick, should be as painless as you're going to get, cheap, and preserves the rest of the body for science and organs if that's a viable option.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Re: Ohio execution takes 25 minutes
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 10:16:16 PM »
I am against lethal injection.  Firing squad or drop hanging is perfectly adequate to the task and humane.  Gussying up an execution to look like a medical procedure is perverse.

One of the most interesting parts of the standard lethal injection protocol is they are careful to use alcohol swabs to clean the injection site before inserting the IV catheter.  We of course do this in medicine to minimize the risk of infection.  The reason why they do it for someone who is about to die is two fold: in case of a last minute reprieve, and you would not want the prisoner to get an infection then; and the other reason is it makes it seem more like a clinical procedure and is therefore easier on the staff placing the IV.  In most states, a physician or nurse does not place the IV due to ethical issues, so they use an EMT or a specially trained corrections officer.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 10:20:04 PM »
I agree with the states statement that there is no entitlement to a pain free execution. But there would also seem to be a point that shouldn't be crossed, and monkeying with drug cocktails and taking 25 minutes to put the SOB down seems a might excessive.

I seriously don't understand why we try and be fancy about it. Drug combos are prone to issues, gas is bad juju, ol' sparky had it's share or botched executions. Bullet to the back of the head seems to be about as quick, painless, and fool proof as possible. Strap um down, line everything up for instant results, remote button to fire it with a couple dummy buttons if you want to do the whole "don't know which button did it" thing, sedate if you really feel the need, and be done with it. Quick, should be as painless as you're going to get, cheap, and preserves the rest of the body for science and organs if that's a viable option.

I still vote for an airtight room in which you replace the ambient atmosphere with nitrogen.  http://www.gistprobono.org/ihhp/id1.html

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 10:33:50 PM »
Sedate them, vent the room, slowly fill the room with N.

Low cost and effective.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 10:43:22 PM »
Don't care.  He raped and murdered a pregnant woman.  Horribly.   [ar15]

I believe stoning is called for in The Bible, and I'm ok with that.  Family gets the first shot.

Flamethrower, wild dogs, mortar practice. All good. Animals like that deserve to die full-on North Korean style.  Quietly petering out like an ailing octogenarian over half an hour just doesn't bring up the moral outrage.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 10:47:15 PM by Azrael256 »

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 11:09:29 PM »
Wait, wut?  They can't get the right drugs any more to carry out lethal executions?  Why on earth is that?

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 11:18:40 PM »
Wait, wut?  They can't get the right drugs any more to carry out lethal executions?  Why on earth is that?

Drug companies are expressing moral outrage at their products being used to kill
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 11:30:41 PM »
France used the guillotine up until their last execution the late 1970s. Just sayin'. The English hanged people up until the 1960s. And Utah shot a dude just a couple of years ago. I don't see why people have to make *expletive deleted*it more complicated than it needs to be.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 11:31:13 PM »
While there has been heinous abuses of the death penalty over the years I strongly believe that it should be used. But, only in cases where there is no possibility of doubt as to the guilt of the condemned.

Public executions. Roll 'em out on a big flatbed trailer rigged with a gallows during half time at the stupor bowl and string 'em up.

There may be more effective methods than hanging, I'm open to suggestion.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 11:33:58 PM »
Agreed with the notion that faster and more deliberate is better.

I think the clinical nature of today's executions is because the State has no will to employ an actual executioner, so they foist the responsibility and burden to the medical profession.  I find that offensive.

A return to the hangman's noose, the guillotine, the firing squad or similar execution method will be faster, less expensive, more resolute, send a stronger message to future criminals, and will not abuse the Hippocratic oath of medical professionals.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 12:13:55 AM »
Done right hanging is about a quick, painless and clean as it gets.

Problem is, done wrong, it can take 5+ minutes to strangle the prisoner to death if the drop is too short.

While it won't matter to the condemmed, a drop too long will severely tear or sever completely the neck.  This makes a very gruesome and messy scene for the witnesses and clean up crew to deal with.
Formerly sumpnz

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 12:19:26 AM »
Bring back the coliseum
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 12:20:56 AM »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 12:27:24 AM »
Versed causes amnesia, he won't remember how long it took.   ;)

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 01:25:35 AM »
No Firing Squad!

Gunzez are ebil, somedude might get shot.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 01:26:51 AM »
Did we run outa heroin? One big shot lights out. Why make it hard

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 01:58:58 AM »
If you're going to have a death penalty then there's no better way then how the Japanese do it.

They take the prisoner straight from his cell, to the gallows. No witnesses and it is over quick. No media circus, the date is not known to anyone outside the system and it just happens.

The only problem I have is that the prisoner doesn't know either and that, I'm sure, is mentally torturous but if you tell them their family finds out and then the circus starts.

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 02:06:10 AM »
My vote is for Nitrogen asphixiation or the massive dose of heroin. 

On swabbing with alcohol - I believe one of the side effects of the alcohol is that it actually makes SEEING the veins easier.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 07:12:23 AM »
Here's the thing.  Intentionally inflicting pain, be it physical or emotional, is cruel.  Society has no business exercising the majesty of control over life and death in a cruel manner.

Lethal injection was, among other things, supposed to eliminate the possibility of the "horrors" of other methods gone wrong.  But then the weenies got into it and insisted it be not only "painless" but something the condemned would not be aware of at the final moment - the supposed knowlege and physical experiences between when the trap dropped and they came to the end of the rope, or between when the rifle fired and the bullet struck, etc.  All of which has always seemed to me to be taking away one of the primary purposes of a state execution - that the condemned be aware, in the literal sense as opposed to some philosophical way, that the state was taking their life.

So, since hanging and beheading and electrocution and cyanide gas and the like are all now in "disfavor", how do we go about ending the life of the condemned in a quick, efficient, method that is not cruel and also does not depend on the emotional whims of some drug manufacturer?  Without singling out any specific ideology since several of them used it, I suggest an injection directly into the heart of any of a number of commonly available chemicals.  To be crude - but not cruel - about it, use something you can get as easily as by going to the local gas station.

A state execution is not a medical procedure.  Medical personnel are not needed until it is time to confirm the condemned is well and truely dead.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.