Author Topic: SCOTUS strikes down ban on gay marriage  (Read 51468 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: SCOTUS strikes down ban on gay marriage
« Reply #125 on: June 29, 2015, 04:53:09 PM »
"Society"

"State"

I'm pretty sure those are two different words with different meanings. *checks dictionary* yep, two different words that mean different things.

This thread is about the state unilaterally changing the definition of marriage. Are you saying you disagree with the recent ruling?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2015, 04:55:26 PM »
How does this decision have any impact on nuclear, man woman families whatsoever?

He's pointing out that you can't possibly blame the hetero's-only tradition of marriage on Christians or the Bible, given all of the non-Christian, non-Bible-reading cultures that have also held to that tradition. Before there was a Bible or any Christians, in fact.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2015, 07:46:08 PM »

He's pointing out that you can't possibly blame the hetero's-only tradition of marriage on Christians or the Bible, given all of the non-Christian, non-Bible-reading cultures that have also held to that tradition. Before there was a Bible or any Christians, in fact.

Who are these non Christian, non bible reading cultures that have these beliefs?

Funny, btw, that no Jews noticed that monogamous marriage was required.  Muslims missed that rule as well.

Are these the Buddhists you're thinking of maybe?  Or Hindus?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2015, 07:52:48 PM »
Who are these non Christian, non bible reading cultures that have these beliefs?

Funny, btw, that no Jews noticed that monogamous marriage was required.  Muslims missed that rule as well.

Are these the Buddhists you're thinking of maybe?  Or Hindus?

Nice try counselor, but your moving the goal posts. We are discussing heterosexual marriage, not monogamous marriage.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #129 on: June 29, 2015, 08:19:43 PM »
Nice try counselor, but your moving the goal posts. We are discussing heterosexual marriage, not monogamous marriage.

I notice you had no answer to the question I asked you there.

The point was that Christian biblical views of marriage are not universal.  They are contested, and government has no basis for adopting one religion over another.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #130 on: June 29, 2015, 08:21:17 PM »

The point was that Christian biblical views of marriage are not universal.  They are contested, and government has no basis for adopting one religion over another.

And the basis of the .gov's conditions for issuing marriage licenses have nothing to do with religion.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #131 on: June 29, 2015, 08:26:20 PM »
And the basis of the .gov's conditions for issuing marriage licenses have nothing to do with religion.

Ok, so what's the argument for restricting them to man-woman couples only?  And how does that impact the nuclear family?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #132 on: June 29, 2015, 08:54:22 PM »

So why do you care what the .gov defines marriage as?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #133 on: June 29, 2015, 09:18:47 PM »

That's a very good point... up until the govt starts dictating what is acceptable church doctrine, and making their version of "marriage" compulsory.  And I don't think that is very far away.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #134 on: June 29, 2015, 09:32:54 PM »
I don't know, Balog. Do you think they really don't get it, or are they just playing dumb? 

Ok, so what's the argument for restricting them to man-woman couples only? 

What argument kept marriage limited to heterosexual couples for the past x-thousand years? 

Have you read the Chief Justice's dissent yet? It would help you with some of that confusion. If you were open to reason, of course.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #135 on: June 29, 2015, 09:34:36 PM »
That's a very good point...

:laugh: Actually, it's a dead-stupid question. Unless, of course, Balog swore off caring about anything beyond religion. I mean, he could be a civic-minded person who ponders political matters aside from his religion.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #136 on: June 29, 2015, 09:38:37 PM »
I don't know, Balog. Do you think they really don't get it, or are they just playing dumb? 

What argument kept marriage limited to heterosexual couples for the past x-thousand years? 

The Bible as read by Christians, mostly.  If you know of some other argument please let us know - I keep seeing allusions to something other than the Christian version of the bible, but never see the actual claim.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #137 on: June 29, 2015, 09:42:25 PM »

Because if the government can change the meaning of words by diktat it then can make the law mean whatever it wants.

Even the opposite of the intention of those who drafted the law.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #138 on: June 29, 2015, 10:02:25 PM »
The Bible as read by Christians, mostly.  If you know of some other argument please let us know - I keep seeing allusions to something other than the Christian version of the bible, but never see the actual claim.

Maybe you could point out all the historical societies where homosexual "marriage" was practiced ???

(and I don't mean that homosexuality was just known of and/or tolerated - I mean that same sex couples were considered "married")
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #139 on: June 29, 2015, 10:12:20 PM »
Or great societies with alternative family structures to the man/woman having children and raising them among extended family.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #140 on: June 29, 2015, 10:26:32 PM »

So the Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus that you referenced earlier; those societies all wanted homosexual marriage for hundreds or even thousands of years, but were kept from doing so by Christians making Biblically-based arguments? How long before the birth of Christianity, or before the collation of the biblical books was this occurring, would you say? Can you tell us anything about the nature of the Christians' time travel technology?

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #141 on: June 29, 2015, 11:18:42 PM »

So the Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus that you referenced earlier; those societies all wanted homosexual marriage for hundreds or even thousands of years, but were kept from doing so by Christians making Biblically-based arguments? How long before the birth of Christianity, or before the collation of the biblical books was this occurring, would you say? Can you tell us anything about the nature of the Christians' time travel technology?

Sorry fistful - you missed the point.  And are now obviouly making the error of moral argument by dictionary.  All of them have widely different versions of what a marriage entails.  If the definition of "marriage" is so obvious or universal, that isn't possible.  The translator who came up with the equivalent terms doesn't get to determine at all what are the necessary and sufficient conditions of a marriage - that is a judgment call, not a definition.

Buddhists, muslims, and Hindus and various non-Christian societies all tolerated or formally recognised same sex arrangements over the years.  The fact that Christians didn't translate those words as "marriage" into English is a judgment call, which you're now trying to twist into a moral argument because it comes from the dictionary.  Well, it ended up there because of a judgment call in the first place.

So I'll ask again - what's this non-religious basis for discriminating against gay relationships?  If it's just that other socieities do it, I shouldn't have to explain why that's absurd.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #142 on: June 29, 2015, 11:21:15 PM »
Maybe you could point out all the historical societies where homosexual "marriage" was practiced ???

(and I don't mean that homosexuality was just known of and/or tolerated - I mean that same sex couples were considered "married")

This is a red herring - marriage has meant ownership of a woman as near chattel in many cultures (most) as well, but I don't see anyone arguing that giving women individual legal rigts in marriage somehow undoes the institution.

You are picking and choosing what exceeds the definition to suit your chosen prejudice.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #143 on: June 29, 2015, 11:23:34 PM »
Mistranslation!

What a load of bs

There may have been pragmatic arrangements regarding gay couples but they weren't considered marriage.

Plenty of history of that in the states also.

It just isn't marriage, by definition.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #144 on: June 29, 2015, 11:28:35 PM »
Mistranslation!

What a load of bs

There may have been pragmatic arrangements regarding gay couples but they weren't considered marriage.

Plenty of history of that in the states also.

It just isn't marriage, by definition.

And who decided what the definition is?  Last I checked merriam Webster had no authority to determine rights and obligations.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #145 on: June 29, 2015, 11:38:05 PM »
And who decided what the definition is?  Last I checked merriam Webster had no authority to determine rights and obligations.

Who decides definitions in law dictionaries?

Common usage of a word for hundreds of years in our language, thousands in the classical languages is a pretty good indicator of what the definition should be of a word.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #146 on: June 29, 2015, 11:39:43 PM »

But does that mean government cannot enact a standard  for marriage?   For most of America, most of the time, it's been  (1) man married to (1) woman.  
If we accept gay marriage, what about the nutcake who wants to marry his ox?  
Or goat?  
Christian Biblical views of marriage may not be universal but why should that mean we should become a potpourri of the whole world's customs?
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #147 on: June 29, 2015, 11:44:03 PM »
And who decided definitions should be put into question simply because they don't support your point?  If you have evidence supporting alternative definitions, please enlighten us. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #148 on: June 29, 2015, 11:44:34 PM »
This is a red herring - marriage has meant ownership of a woman as near chattel in many cultures (most) as well, but I don't see anyone arguing that giving women individual legal rigts in marriage somehow undoes the institution.

You are picking and choosing what exceeds the definition to suit your chosen prejudice.
A straw man does not negate a red herring.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #149 on: June 29, 2015, 11:50:29 PM »

Just go "marry" your self then.  :P

First you make the claim that heterosexual only marriage is a strictly Judeo-Christian concept and then refuse to provide any evidence to back your claim.

You are nothing but a god damned troll  :old:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin