Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 224585 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #3150 on: June 06, 2024, 10:23:46 AM »
I haven't done a deep dive into this particular logistical solution, but to my knowledge we aren't using Military Sealift Command (MSC) ships for this.  I think I would have noticed an MSC mobilization big enough to support this, so probably SDDC Chartered civilian ships.

There are not a lot of open source pictures on Ukrainian military aid on ships.  For obvious reasons we don't necessarily advertise which ships are moving what, but a nation state level intel service could probably figure it out.

And obviously, if a MSC ship gets underway, it's almost certainly got military stuff on it.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3151 on: June 06, 2024, 11:27:36 AM »
Can you tell which ships are SDDC chartered ships?  Or are they just any breakbulk, RORO or container ships such that you would have a difficult time figuring out which ships are carrying arms?  Not ever having thought about it at all, I would have assumed that everything that can fit into a container does so, for ease of shipping.  Clearly vehicles and oversize cargo won't, but if we are sending a million rifle rounds to Ukraine, do they go by container?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3152 on: June 06, 2024, 11:54:57 AM »
Yes, there are open source ways to figure out which ships are likely carrying military aid.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3153 on: June 06, 2024, 12:18:00 PM »
if nothing else there is almost certainly intelligence gathering going on at the ports and probably in the shipping lines themselves.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3154 on: June 06, 2024, 12:35:51 PM »
A couple of years ago, I was driving south on I-5 to the hospital in Olympia and I was behind a convoy from Ft. Lewis also driving south.  I did not think much of it until I saw the local news that night.  The vehicles were loading on a commercial RORO ship at the Port of Olympia to be shipped somewhere overseas. I remember thinking how odd that they were not loading on a Navy ship.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3155 on: June 06, 2024, 01:05:16 PM »
Our "Navy" sealift is predominantly handled by Military Sealift Command. which is a mix of United States Navy Ships (USNS Whatever) and long term charters.  The USNS ships are civilian crewed, and they tend to be more specialized use ships (Large Medium-Speed Roll-on/Roll-off, Expeditionary Fast Transports, Maritime Prepositioned Stocks, etc.)  The MSC Long term charter ships are just normal cargo ships we have sole us of.  They tend to be a mix of breakbulk cargo/container ships and RO/RO ships.  The "civilian" ship you saw in Olympia was almost certainly one of those as they tend to be the choice for moving units Battalion and larger.  Excluding oilers there are 33 USNS Cargo ships (Dry cargo or RO/RO) available to MSC and 20 of them are supposed to be Prepositioning ships (although they aren't all prepositioned at all times)

On top of that, SDDC (Surface Deployment and Distribution Command) has contracts with common carriers for when we need to move less than a ship's worth of stuff.  So when your unit loads their office supplies up in 5 connexs in Germany and ships it back CONUS, it probably goes on a civilian ship just like normal sea freight.

How much stuff is moving at once, how sensitive it is, how much we are willing to spend, and how important the delivery timeline is all play a part into which mode of sea freight the US chooses to move stuff around the world.

If you are saying to yourself "Wow, does it make sense to have so much important logistics tied up and dependent on civilian ships and crews when we are looking at a near-peer conflict with countries capable of closing sea lanes?" you are not the only one,

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3156 on: June 06, 2024, 01:55:42 PM »
So, since the weapons aren't being moved on US owned ships, an attack on one of those ships likely wouldn't generate the same kind of response as if it were made on a US military asset, is my guess.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3157 on: June 06, 2024, 02:25:10 PM »
So, since the weapons aren't being moved on US owned ships, an attack on one of those ships likely wouldn't generate the same kind of response as if it were made on a US military asset, is my guess.

Probably.  Although response may be hard to predict after the press corps gets a hold of the story (ref: USS Maine and Lusitania)

I'm not saying it's a great idea, or guarnteed not to provoke a response.  I'm just trying to put myself in the shoes of a Russian planner, looking at a war that would be over already but for an unending resupply of weapons and ammo from the US and NATO and completely rebuffed (again by the US and NATO) overtures to negotiate a peace.  They've got a couple choices:  Kill all the fighting age people Ukraine feels like sending (and any more that the rest of the world sneaks in), lose, or interrupt Ukraine's resupply.

I guess the other option is to hold out for Nov and see if the US votes to take itself out of the war, but as mentioned, Congress is moving to shut that choice off for the next CinC, and Western Europe has pledged to continue delivering weapons and ammo even if the US quits.  So back to the aforementioned three choices.

If you're asking me where my money goes, I'm thinking the globalists are going to get their large scale European war.  Something's going to happen that makes NATO say we gotta go into Russia.  The west is perfectly capable of producing casus belli when it wants to.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3158 on: June 06, 2024, 02:57:31 PM »
A large portion of Tom Clancy’s Red Storm Rising was about the Soviets attempting to close sea lanes in order to choke out NATO forces in Europe.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3159 on: June 06, 2024, 04:46:15 PM »
A large portion of Tom Clancy’s Red Storm Rising was about the Soviets attempting to close sea lanes in order to choke out NATO forces in Europe.

Yep...

But that premise was based on Soviet forces that were actually a LOT more capable and better armed than current Russian Federation forces have shown themselves to be.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3160 on: June 06, 2024, 06:46:49 PM »
(apologies if this has already been posted)

Chinese mercenary fighting for Russia describes combat in Ukraine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_jdfaI5dyQ

His description of the drone warfare and communications problems is particularly interesting.

"... and now I want to hand it over to the president of Ukraine who has as much courage as he has determination.  Ladies and gentlemen, President Putin."
                          - Joe Biden, July 11, 2024

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3161 on: June 07, 2024, 07:14:57 AM »
"Although response may be hard to predict after the press corps gets a hold of the story (ref: USS Maine and Lusitania)"

I think a critical difference between those two historic scenarios and a potential scenario as describe below (Russia or Russian proxies sinking a non-US ship loaded with US weapons) is that both the Maine and the Lusitania involved the deaths of a significant number of Americans, where the sinking of a non-US cargo ship would likely involve no, or very few, Americans.

That said, the press beating the drums over the American deaths on the Lusitania wasn't particularly successful in bringing the US into the war with Germany. It added to the list of US grievances, but it was still almost 2 years until the US entered the war, with the final "straw" being the Zimmerman telegram (which followed Germany's resumption of unrestricted submarine warfare).

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3162 on: June 07, 2024, 07:49:13 AM »
"Although response may be hard to predict after the press corps gets a hold of the story (ref: USS Maine and Lusitania)"

I think a critical difference between those two historic scenarios and a potential scenario as describe below (Russia or Russian proxies sinking a non-US ship loaded with US weapons) is that both the Maine and the Lusitania involved the deaths of a significant number of Americans, where the sinking of a non-US cargo ship would likely involve no, or very few, Americans.

That said, the press beating the drums over the American deaths on the Lusitania wasn't particularly successful in bringing the US into the war with Germany. It added to the list of US grievances, but it was still almost 2 years until the US entered the war, with the final "straw" being the Zimmerman telegram (which followed Germany's resumption of unrestricted submarine warfare).

And IIRC Wilson didn't push for it until after the 2016 election where he ran on the slogan “he kept us out of war". After the election he as Obama would say "pivoted"
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“Those who believe without reason cannot be convinced by reason.”
― James Randi

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3163 on: June 07, 2024, 08:23:01 AM »
And IIRC Wilson didn't push for it until after the 2016 election where he ran on the slogan “he kept us out of war". After the election he as Obama would say "pivoted"

That's because the Germans didn't resume unrestricted submarine warfare until after the 1916 election, and the Zimmerman telegram didn't surface until January 1917, and was confirmed as genuine by the Germans in March 1917.

So yeah, Wilson kept the US out of war until the Germans kept upping the ante.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3164 on: June 07, 2024, 08:25:12 AM »
You've got to admit, It was kind of impressive for Wilson to not push for entry into WWI until after 2016.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3165 on: June 07, 2024, 10:44:26 AM »
You've got to admit, It was kind of impressive for Wilson to not push for entry into WWI until after 2016.

Smart-ass. 
"... and now I want to hand it over to the president of Ukraine who has as much courage as he has determination.  Ladies and gentlemen, President Putin."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3166 on: June 08, 2024, 09:55:11 AM »
Some interesting youtube propaganda:

Yesterday, several videos from this channel popped up on my youtube recommendations. After watching the first fishy one, I went to the channel and watched more, and it is clearly Ukrainian propaganda. Poorly done, IMO. Close to what you might expect from NorKo.

https://www.youtube.com/@UNITED24media

Then today, videos from this channel started showing up in recommendations. Clearly Russian propaganda in the same crappy style as the first channel.

https://www.youtube.com/@Military92

You could almost believe all the videos were done by the same group running both channels.

I will also say that though I mostly support Israel in what they're doing, I'm also getting a ton of pro-Israel propaganda video recommendations as well. Mostly videos supposedly done by either the IDF or individual soldiers.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Opportunity

« Reply #3167 on: June 10, 2024, 08:54:52 AM »
Some interesting youtube propaganda:

Yesterday, several videos from this channel popped up on my youtube recommendations. After watching the first fishy one, I went to the channel and watched more, and it is clearly Ukrainian propaganda. Poorly done, IMO. Close to what you might expect from NorKo.

https://www.youtube.com/@UNITED24media

Then today, videos from this channel started showing up in recommendations. Clearly Russian propaganda in the same crappy style as the first channel.

https://www.youtube.com/@Military92

You could almost believe all the videos were done by the same group running both channels.

I will also say that though I mostly support Israel in what they're doing, I'm also getting a ton of pro-Israel propaganda video recommendations as well. Mostly videos supposedly done by either the IDF or individual soldiers.

YouTube is resting compared to similar channels in Telegram  =D
By the way, if you believe all these channels, the war has already been practically won. Moreover, both sides )))

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3168 on: June 10, 2024, 09:34:37 AM »
YouTube is resting compared to similar channels in Telegram  =D
By the way, if you believe all these channels, the war has already been practically won. Moreover, both sides )))

Good one.   :rofl:
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3169 on: June 24, 2024, 07:12:27 PM »
It appears Ukraine launched a strike on Sevastopol using US supplied missiles. The Russians intercepted them, but debris fell on local beaches killing what looks like dozens and wounding hundreds of civilians.

It also appears that at the exact same time, A Globalhawk was flying a sortie in the area, most likely doing routine recon on Sevastopol. S2 Underground makes a couple of food for thought points on this.  The Globalhawk mission doesn't normally include painting targets, but the coincidence of it being there at the same time that US missiles were used for attack rather than defense will not look good given the civilian deaths. Or the more pessimistic possibility is that Ukraine knew the Globalhawk would be flying the sortie and timed their attack to coincide with its flyby, potentially to force more involvement by the US if Russia escalates due to the civilian deaths.

https://youtu.be/-x6GD0gKslQ
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Opportunity

« Reply #3170 on: June 24, 2024, 07:16:13 PM »
As far as I understand, Globalhawk had some troubles over the Black Sea, perhaps turbulence?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3171 on: June 24, 2024, 07:20:48 PM »
As far as I understand, Globalhawk had some troubles over the Black Sea, perhaps turbulence?

I haven't seen anything in the US news on that, but they don't report a lot of things.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3172 on: June 24, 2024, 07:38:44 PM »
It also appears that at the exact same time, A Globalhawk was flying a sortie in the area, most likely doing routine recon on Sevastopol. S2 Underground makes a couple of food for thought points on this.  The Globalhawk mission doesn't normally include painting targets, but the coincidence of it being there at the same time that US missiles were used for attack rather than defense will not look good given the civilian deaths. Or the more pessimistic possibility is that Ukraine knew the Globalhawk would be flying the sortie and timed their attack to coincide with its flyby, potentially to force more involvement by the US if Russia escalates due to the civilian deaths.

https://youtu.be/-x6GD0gKslQ

I haven't looked in a while but Globalhawks would show up all the time on Flightradar24 buzzing around the Black Sea so one being in the area is more or less routine since the current dust up started. If they show up on Flightradar24 they have a transmitting transponder so not exactly a secret. 
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“Those who believe without reason cannot be convinced by reason.”
― James Randi

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3173 on: July 01, 2024, 04:15:06 PM »
It's good to be a Zelenskyy:

https://x.com/aussiecossack/status/1807774973047758873

The missus just bought a brand new Bugatti.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3174 on: July 01, 2024, 04:25:58 PM »
It's good to be a Zelenskyy:

https://x.com/aussiecossack/status/1807774973047758873

The missus just bought a brand new Bugatti.

Sounds like Bibi needs to buy a new Bugatti so he can get the full support of the Schumacher Group, and perhaps the rest of France to go out on a limb and state their public support for the Israeli nation and people.  ;/

bob