Author Topic: Israel Under Attack  (Read 52947 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Israel Under Attack
« Reply #775 on: December 31, 2023, 08:16:48 PM »
^^^^Is that a fiberglass hull?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #776 on: December 31, 2023, 08:46:34 PM »
^^^^Is that a fiberglass hull?

Not fiberglass. I'm pretty sure aluminum, but I can't remember for sure anymore. Might have been steel, though the price tag probably tends to aluminum.

EDIT: That question got me wondering if I'm completely misremembering, because blowing up some other photos I have, it does kinda look like molded construction. Though these guys used to beach and beat up their boats all the time, and I'm not sure fiberglass would survive doing that for very long. I'm not in contact anymore with anyone I can ask if I'm remembering wrong. They might have had a spray coating over the aluminum for some minimal radar reflection reduction.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 10:06:49 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #777 on: December 31, 2023, 09:03:43 PM »
A couple of our helos took down Houthi attack boats that were shooting at them.

https://youtu.be/JgHloespf_I

Houthi rebels, getting to meet Allah face to face courtesy of the United States Navy.

But, pity they only sank 3 of the 4.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #778 on: January 01, 2024, 09:19:59 AM »
Terrorism warnings going out for tonight

https://www.foxnews.com/us/fbi-law-enforcement-brace-potential-threats-during-new-years-eve-bash

No big incidents last night that I'm aware of.
Some protestors though did try to shut things down in some places.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #779 on: January 01, 2024, 05:47:35 PM »
Not fiberglass. I'm pretty sure aluminum, but I can't remember for sure anymore. Might have been steel, though the price tag probably tends to aluminum.

EDIT: That question got me wondering if I'm completely misremembering, because blowing up some other photos I have, it does kinda look like molded construction. Though these guys used to beach and beat up their boats all the time, and I'm not sure fiberglass would survive doing that for very long. I'm not in contact anymore with anyone I can ask if I'm remembering wrong. They might have had a spray coating over the aluminum for some minimal radar reflection reduction.

The couple Super Pangas I got up and personal with while operating out of San Diego and Port Hueneme were fiberglass.  There's probably some substantial variation in construction though.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #780 on: January 01, 2024, 06:08:34 PM »
Winning friends

New Year's Day travel nightmare: Pro-Palestinian mob targets roads around JFK Airport causing gridlock for miserable passengers leaving NYC
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12916895/new-years-day-pro-palestinian-mob-jfk-airport-protest.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #781 on: January 01, 2024, 06:15:53 PM »
The couple Super Pangas I got up and personal with while operating out of San Diego and Port Hueneme were fiberglass.  There's probably some substantial variation in construction though.

If that's what you saw at NBVC, then it was my bad memory. Those boats were supposedly all coming out of the same place, at least circa 2012. Some different sizes. The one in the pics was one of the bigger ones, I think like 60-65'. It took up an entire end tie at SB Harbor.

There was a short period in that timeframe where they were being sighted and found all over the coast and out at the islands. In fact one of them, while being boarded off Santa Cruz Island, made a break for it, rammed the patrol boat (might have been a RHIB), and ran over a coastie who got thrown in the drink, killing him.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #782 on: January 01, 2024, 10:05:01 PM »
I doubt few of you know what bail hunting was on the beaches in the '80's.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #783 on: January 01, 2024, 10:10:50 PM »

I remember
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #784 on: January 02, 2024, 09:26:22 AM »
Doubt it's anything to worry about but who knows with the Iranians, could be dangerous to a US warship if they got a shot off first otherwise it's a target.
Could fire off a shot or two at a commercial vessel to test this administration's willingness to respond.   

Iranian warship enters Red Sea amid Houthis’ ongoing attacks on commercial vessels
https://www.foxnews.com/world/iranian-warship-enters-red-sea-houthis-ongoing-attacks-commercial-vessels

Info on the class. Iran had 4, we sank one in 1988. Built by the British for the Shah
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvand-class_frigate
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 09:52:43 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #785 on: January 02, 2024, 10:20:47 AM »
The Iranian Navy has been working on positioning itself as a blue water navy for a decade and a half or so.  They frequently operate outside the Straits of Hormuz and regularly travel to India, China, through the Red Sea and Suez and into the Med. The last time I was in CENTCOM they were running "Anti pirate and freedom of navigation patrols" in the Gulf of Aden and Red sea pretty continuously.

Remember, Iran functionally has two Navys.  The Islamic Republic of Iran Navy, which has most of the frigates, auxiliary's, all the subs, and some smaller boats, and the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps Navy, which has two missile corvettes, some amphibs and landing craft and mostly a *expletive deleted*it ton of missile carrying speed boats.  They are completely separate organizations, with a separate chain of command, and are very different to deal with in the ocean.  The IRGCN tends to be the one you need to worry about being aggressive and trying to start wars.  It's also the IRGC not the Iranian Military that funds militant groups like the Houthis.

Which is a long-winded way of saying this boat, or one like it is pretty routinely operating in that area, doing that mission, and there's nothing intrinsically more threatening about this mission than the last 30 times the IRIN transited the Red Sea.  Fox News is breathlessly reporting a common occurrence as if it were new.

Now if you start to see the IRGCN Missile Corvettes or Peykaap class torpedo boats transiting the Straits and heading to the Red Sea, something might be up.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #786 on: January 02, 2024, 10:24:57 AM »
The Iranian Navy has been working on positioning itself as a blue water navy for a decade and a half or so.  They frequently operate outside the Straits of Hormuz and regularly travel to India, China, through the Red Sea and Suez and into the Med. The last time I was in CENTCOM they were running "Anti pirate and freedom of navigation patrols" in the Gulf of Aden and Red sea pretty continuously.

Remember, Iran functionally has two Navys.  The Islamic Republic of Iran Navy, which has most of the frigates, auxiliary's, all the subs, and some smaller boats, and the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps Navy, which has two missile corvettes, some amphibs and landing craft and mostly a *expletive deleted*it ton of missile carrying speed boats.  They are completely separate organizations, with a separate chain of command, and are very different to deal with in the ocean.  The IRGCN tends to be the one you need to worry about being aggressive and trying to start wars.  It's also the IRGC not the Iranian Military that funds militant groups like the Houthis.

Which is a long-winded way of saying this boat, or one like it is pretty routinely operating in that area, doing that mission, and there's nothing intrinsically more threatening about this mission than the last 30 times the IRIN transited the Red Sea.  Fox News is breathlessly reporting a common occurrence as if it were new.

Now if you start to see the IRGCN Missile Corvettes or Peykaap class torpedo boats transiting the Straits and heading to the Red Sea, something might be up.

Had once cruise around in the Caribbean a while back and the media went nuts
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #787 on: January 02, 2024, 12:41:13 PM »

I spent quite a bit of time on detachments to Key West in the early 80's for sonobouy drop testing (among other things). We would always spend a day or so walking the beaches in the Keys looking for square grouper! :)

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #788 on: January 03, 2024, 08:07:36 AM »
I did not realize that this moron is actually a professor at a CA university, putting these thoughts in her students' heads. Holy hell.

https://twitchy.com/brettt/2024/01/02/saira-rao-zionist-doctors-n2391320

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #789 on: January 03, 2024, 09:06:27 AM »
Booms in Iran

At least 73 people have been killed and 170 wounded after two explosions rocked a ceremony that was being held to mark the 2020 assassination of Iran's top commander Qassem Soleimani in a US drone attack.

The first explosion was quickly followed by a second close to a cemetery in the southeastern city of Kerman where thousands had gathered to mark the four-year anniversary of Soleimani's killing.

Has Israel struck again? Blasts kill 70 at ceremony marking death of top Iranian commander Qassem Soleimani - a day after Israeli drone strike wiped out Hamas deputy in Beirut
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12922445/Has-Israel-struck-20-dead-explosions-rock-Iranian-ceremony-marking-anniversary-killing-commander-Qassem-Soleimani-drone-attack.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #790 on: January 03, 2024, 10:48:03 AM »
Muh entitlement?
State Dept issues rare, unprompted critique of ministers by name, days after Biden pressed PM to rein in far-right partners; Ben Gvir unfazed: ‘We are not another star in the US flag’
https://www.timesofisrael.com/us-slams-irresponsible-calls-by-smotrich-and-ben-gvir-for-emigration-of-gazans/

OK how about the US cuts Israel loose see where they end up  ;/
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #791 on: January 03, 2024, 10:51:00 AM »
Booms in Iran

Has Israel struck again? Blasts kill 70 at ceremony marking death of top Iranian commander Qassem Soleimani - a day after Israeli drone strike wiped out Hamas deputy in Beirut
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12922445/Has-Israel-struck-20-dead-explosions-rock-Iranian-ceremony-marking-anniversary-killing-commander-Qassem-Soleimani-drone-attack.html

Updated to say at least 103 killed, 170 injured

Stay tuned folks, this could get bumpy
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #792 on: January 03, 2024, 10:54:59 AM »
Booms in Iran

Maybe I'm a little skeptical but my first thought is "false flag".
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #793 on: January 03, 2024, 12:24:37 PM »
Maybe I'm a little skeptical but my first thought is "false flag".

Given how Israel has been managing things lately* I wouldn't put it past their government getting the brilliant idea of trying to underhandedly poke Iran into direct action so the US is then forced to fully commit to the fight to do the heavy lifting for them.

*Israel has gone full-retard.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #794 on: January 03, 2024, 01:46:28 PM »
Given how Israel has been managing things lately* I wouldn't put it past their government getting the brilliant idea of trying to underhandedly poke Iran into direct action so the US is then forced to fully commit to the fight to do the heavy lifting for them.

OK, this has now moved up several notches on my worry list.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #795 on: January 03, 2024, 02:15:09 PM »
Could have been Israel but it's not their usual MO while Iran has more than a few internal groups not happy with the current government.
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• friend
« Reply #796 on: January 03, 2024, 02:16:49 PM »

And on the other hand I would not put it beyond the realm of possibility that the Iranians themselves orchestrated the terror type  bombings in order to escalate their direct involvement in the ongoings in the ME right now. Crowd bombing is so far outside the MO of Israel that I don't buy it. If they want to kill a particular person or group of people they have no issues doing that but indiscriminate crowd bombing is not the way they operate AFAIK.

bob

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #797 on: January 03, 2024, 02:55:33 PM »
Fair enough, but the issue is that direct involvement doesn't seem to be in Iran's best interest right now. They are already vicariously dealing out more than enough pain through Hamas, Hezbollah and the Houthis. Keeping the US out as much as possible is far more strategic than having an "excuse" to launch direct attacks themselves, and the one thing that would guarantee (I think) full US involvement is Iran's direct involvement.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #798 on: January 03, 2024, 03:16:11 PM »
Nobody involved get's the benefit of the doubt from my perspective.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #799 on: January 03, 2024, 03:27:51 PM »
Nobody involved get's the benefit of the doubt from my perspective.

Including the US. It is not above the US government to be actively involved in trying to topple foreign governments.

bob