Author Topic: How was your flight?  (Read 9322 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: How was your flight?
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2024, 07:37:29 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2024, 09:44:29 AM »
When a satire site is probably closer to the truth than most MSM

Boeing CEO Assures Nervous Fliers That All 737 Aircraft Are Built To The Highest Diversity Standards
https://babylonbee.com/news/boeing-ceo-assures-nervous-flyers-that-all-737-aircraft-are-built-to-the-highest-diversity-standards

That was the Babylon Bee
But even the Bee can't top reality

FAA 'diversity' push to hire workers with 'severe intellectual' disabilities sparks concern, mockery
https://www.foxnews.com/us/faa-diversity-push-hire-workers-severe-intellectual-disabilities-sparks-concern-mockery

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is facing criticism and concern from both politicians and the public over a diversity hiring initiative that actively recruits workers with "severe intellectual" disabilities, "psychiatric" issues and other disabilities.
Fox News Digital reported Sunday that the FAA’s website details a "Diversity and Inclusion" hiring plan aimed to boost diversity, including those with "severe" disabilities, at the agency.

"Individuals with targeted or ‘severe’ disabilities are the most under-represented segment of the Federal workforce," the FAA’s site states before it details the "targeted disabilities" that the agency is actively working to recruit.
"Targeted disabilities are those disabilities that the Federal government, as a matter of policy, has identified for special emphasis in recruitment and hiring," the FAA’s website states. "They include hearing, vision, missing extremities, partial paralysis, complete paralysis, epilepsy, severe intellectual disability, psychiatric disability and dwarfism."

Severe intellectual disability is defined by the Cleveland Clinic as: "People with severe intellectual disability have an average mental age of between 3 and 6 years. They use single words, phrases and/or gestures to communicate. They benefit from daily care and support with activities and daily life."

I feel safe

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2024, 11:07:02 AM »
That was the Babylon Bee
But even the Bee can't top reality

FAA 'diversity' push to hire workers with 'severe intellectual' disabilities sparks concern, mockery
https://www.foxnews.com/us/faa-diversity-push-hire-workers-severe-intellectual-disabilities-sparks-concern-mockery

I feel safe

I'm so happy for you.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2024, 11:24:58 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2024, 01:43:15 PM »
No they didn't  :rofl:

Delta Introduces New Short Plane For Special-Needs Pilots
https://babylonbee.com/news/delta-introduces-new-short-plane-for-special-needs-pilots

- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2024, 09:08:59 AM »
Brrrrains

JUST IN: ⚠️ US-bound ANA plane returns to Tokyo after ‘heavily drunk’ passenger bites crew member. -SCMP

An All Nippon Airways flight en route to the United States was forced to return to Tokyo when an inebriated passenger bit a flight attendant, as reported by the airline on… pic.twitter.com/YWz1E5aaOS
    — Chuck Callesto (@ChuckCallesto) January 17, 2024

I've seen how this plays out before

The flight attendant is going to be showing symptoms and we all want her to be okay, but she's going to hunger for human flesh soon
    — The Judgmental Dog (@the_addressor) January 17, 2024

World War Z Incoming: Flight From Japan to United States Forced to Return to Tokyo
https://twitchy.com/grateful-calvin/2024/01/19/world-war-z-incoming-flight-from-tokyo-to-pittsburgh-forced-to-return-to-japan-n2391896
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 09:39:30 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2024, 11:18:04 PM »
Boeing 747 cargo plane makes emergency landing shortly after takeoff at Miami airport
https://wsvn.com/news/local/miami-dade/boeing-747-cargo-plane-makes-emergency-landing-shortly-after-takeoff-at-miami-airport/

The aircraft landed safely Thursday night “after experiencing an engine malfunction soon after departure,” a spokesperson for Atlas Air said in a statement Friday. “The crew followed all standard procedures and safely returned to MIA.”

The airplane was “shooting sparks” as it flew overhead, said Melanie Adaros, who was out for a walk with her mother and was about to turn into her home, when she heard and saw an approaching plane.

Neat video.  Probably just a bird strike, but every problem is a DEI problem now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffheDMfifhA&list=RDNSffheDMfifhA&start_radio=1
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2024, 08:42:03 AM »

Neat video.  Probably just a bird strike, but every problem is a DEI problem now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffheDMfifhA&list=RDNSffheDMfifhA&start_radio=1

Do we know what kind of bird it was? There is systemic turbine aggression against Canda Gesse and ravens, so if it was one of them we'll need some money and capitulation from Pratt and Whitney.

If it was a swan, *expletive deleted*ck em.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2024, 08:52:03 AM »
During our snow yesterday a small commuter plane tried to take off from Dulles airport for Lancaster, PA.

Two minutes later it landed on a local road...

https://wtop.com/national/2024/01/plane-makes-emergency-landing-on-a-highway-northern-virginia-after-taking-off-from-dulles-airport/

Would have made it farther in a horse and buggy.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2024, 05:20:46 PM »
7 New Features Coming To United Airlines Courtesy Of Drag Queen CEO
https://babylonbee.com/news/7-new-features-on-united-airlines-courtesy-of-drag-queen-ceo

5. No more free nuts: Too bad!
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2024, 08:06:40 PM »
Do we know what kind of bird it was? There is systemic turbine aggression against Canda Gesse and ravens, so if it was one of them we'll need some money and capitulation from Pratt and Whitney.

If it was a swan, *expletive deleted*ck em.
I don't even know if it was a bird.  May have just been crappy maintenance. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2024, 08:25:44 PM »
I don't even know if it was a bird.  May have just been crappy maintenance.

I feel like you missed my DEI joke....

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2024, 09:17:28 PM »
I feel like you missed my DEI joke....
It was so good I missed it.   =)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2024, 04:32:56 PM »
NYC-bound flight canceled when passenger notices missing bolts on plane wing
https://twitchy.com/grateful-calvin/2024/01/23/virgin-atlantic-flight-missing-bolts-n2392060

:O

Maybe some of you know enough to know how serious this is.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2024, 06:07:05 PM »
Too complicated to nutshell properly but apparently there's a QC paper trail disconnect between the fuselage manufacturer (Spirit) and Boeing when work is performed on these plugs.
And Alaska Air has found numerous loose bolts during AC inspections

Boeing's Quality Management Failure Explained 737-Max-9 Door 24 Jan 2024
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhRYqvCAX_k

- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2024, 06:09:37 PM »
During our snow yesterday a small commuter plane tried to take off from Dulles airport for Lancaster, PA.

Two minutes later it landed on a local road...

https://wtop.com/national/2024/01/plane-makes-emergency-landing-on-a-highway-northern-virginia-after-taking-off-from-dulles-airport/

Would have made it farther in a horse and buggy.

I think the crew did really well at dodging stoplights and the very large powerlines. Easy to go bad. Across from the Wendy's and Aldi, not the location your pint sized air traffic controller was hoping for.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2024, 02:09:01 PM »
Stewardess Politely Asks Passengers To Raise Tray Tables Before Takeoff And Also Please Check If The Plane Has Both Wings
https://babylonbee.com/news/stewardess-politely-asks-passengers-to-raise-tray-tables-before-takeoff-and-also-please-check-if-the-plane-has-both-wings
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2024, 06:45:57 PM »
Update

The new report finds that four retaining bolts intended to prevent vertical movement of the door plug were missing, and suggests that Boeing workers failed to replace them after removing the plug for a repair during assembly.

The damage patterns observed in the door plug and airframe indicated that the four bolts were not in place at the time of the incident, allowing the plug to detach from the stop pads.

The records show that the involved fuselage arrived at Boeing's Renton, Washington plant for assembly on August 31, 2023.

On September 1, 2023, a work order was created noting five damaged rivets just forward of the door plug.

Records and photos show that, to repair the damaged rivets, the door plug had to be removed, which involved removing the two vertical movement arrestor bolts and two upper guide track bolts.

After the work was complete, the door was replaced by Boeing workers, who appear to have failed to replace the four crucial bolts.

A photo following the repair shows three of the bolts missing, according to the report. The fourth bolt location cannot be seen in the photo.

Four bolts appear to be missing from the door plug that blew out of a Boeing 737 MAX during an Alaska Airlines flight last month, investigators said on Tuesday.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13053051/Boeing-bolts-missing-max-NTSB-investigation.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2024, 08:52:11 PM »
Update

Four bolts appear to be missing from the door plug that blew out of a Boeing 737 MAX during an Alaska Airlines flight last month, investigators said on Tuesday.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13053051/Boeing-bolts-missing-max-NTSB-investigation.html

See post #91. What the earlier article tried to explain is that in Boeing-speak there's a difference between "open" and "remove." Those door "plugs" are actually doors that don't have the interior latching hardware and are semi-permanently bolted (sometimes, unless they're not) in place. The "plugs" have hinges at the bottom, allowing the plugs/doors to flop open. The four retaining bolts have to be removed to either open the plug/door (allow it to flop down and hang against the fuselage) or remove it entirely.

Apparently, the plugs are installed at Spirit but are then opened or removed once the fuselage is at Boeing for additional work. Boeing's procedural manual for removing the plugs calls for replacing the four retaining bolts when reinstalling the plugs. The procedure for simply "closing" a plug that was "opened" (but not "removed") did NOT mention replacing the four retaining bolts.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2024, 10:32:47 AM »
See post #91. What the earlier article tried to explain is that in Boeing-speak there's a difference between "open" and "remove." Those door "plugs" are actually doors that don't have the interior latching hardware and are semi-permanently bolted (sometimes, unless they're not) in place. The "plugs" have hinges at the bottom, allowing the plugs/doors to flop open. The four retaining bolts have to be removed to either open the plug/door (allow it to flop down and hang against the fuselage) or remove it entirely.

Apparently, the plugs are installed at Spirit but are then opened or removed once the fuselage is at Boeing for additional work. Boeing's procedural manual for removing the plugs calls for replacing the four retaining bolts when reinstalling the plugs. The procedure for simply "closing" a plug that was "opened" (but not "removed") did NOT mention replacing the four retaining bolts.

As a Maintenance Supervisor and a Maritime Safety Inspector for the Army, believe me when I say I understand the importance of complete and well laid out technical manuals and procedures.  The ability to check back on the written procedures, even on things you've done many times, is vital to correct and safe maintenance.

That said: If you are too retarded to realize you need to replace the bolts that you took out when opened the plug door, you may just be too retarded to work on aircraft at all.  Boeing may want to take a hard look at their workforce.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2024, 10:46:40 AM »
As a Maintenance Supervisor and a Maritime Safety Inspector for the Army, believe me when I say I understand the importance of complete and well laid out technical manuals and procedures.  The ability to check back on the written procedures, even on things you've done many times, is vital to correct and safe maintenance.

That said: If you are too retarded to realize you need to replace the bolts that you took out when opened the plug door, you may just be too retarded to work on aircraft at all.  Boeing may want to take a hard look at their workforce.

And their management.
Formerly sumpnz

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2024, 12:49:36 PM »
I do not now nor have I ever worked in aerospace, but I know enough to know that technical manuals are the All Important Document Of The Universe. Technicians are expected to follow manuals in their full, complete, and utter entirety.  If the manual says nothing about reinstalling a bolt, you don't reinstall it. No more, no less. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200. Yes, they should be mentioning glaringly obvious issues to Upper Management, but it's not within their power or authority to do anything more or less than exactly what the manual specifies. It doesn't help that they're constantly berated to "follow the manual" regardless of their opinion lest they, their family, and multiple generations of heirs be burned at the stake for heresy. Most of the time it ensures someone doesn't do something stupid like installing lines backwards. Unfortunately, it can also bite you in the ass if something slips past the vetting process (or gets ramrodded through due to incompetence, carelessness, or management buffoonery).

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2024, 12:55:35 PM »
^^

That is untrue, at least in the DOD.  The manual gives you procedures and safety warnings, but you are also expected to know the overall best practices.  If the TM is wrong, you are to question it, on the spot, with your superiors, and submit a form to correct it with the publishing agency.  The form is in the back of every TM, and online.

And from a more pragmatic and less union/lawsuit reactive POV I stand by my statement: If you are too retarded to put the bolts back in that you removed to open the door, you are too retarded to work on aircraft.