Author Topic: It's getting sporty in Washington...  (Read 78595 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
It's getting sporty in Washington...
« on: January 06, 2021, 02:53:53 PM »
Apparently protestors have breached Capitol security and are in the building to the point where they've deployed tear gas IN the rotunda of the US Capitol.

There are alleged pipe bombs in the Capitol.

The mayor of Washington has declared a 6 pm to 6 am curfew.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/live-updates-pence-has-power-to-block-certification-trump-says

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: It's getting sporty in Washington...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 02:55:52 PM »
*expletive deleted*ck it, let it all burn.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 03:06:24 PM »
Yep, burn it to the ground.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 03:06:57 PM »
Battle of Athens, Part II? (Seems to be a LOT more peaceful than what happened then.)

The commentators are going on about how the protestors are undermining the Constitutional process - but I can't help but wonder about how many of them were equally upset about states that unconstitutionally changed their voting procedures without their legislatures doing it as provided for in the Constitution. 
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 03:11:38 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 03:11:59 PM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 03:12:52 PM »
Apparently someone was just shot.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 03:21:34 PM »
I thought police didn't shoot rioters/protestors?  Are these not the right kind of rioters/protestors?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 03:22:07 PM »
I guess it depends on if they're mostly peaceful rioters or not.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 03:32:25 PM »
We'll be getting new gun control legislation to the max now.  The Dems will not hold back, they'll give it to us good and hard.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 03:39:20 PM »
Apparently protestors have breached Capitol security and are in the building to the point where they've deployed tear gas IN the rotunda of the US Capitol.

There are alleged pipe bombs in the Capitol.

The mayor of Washington has declared a 6 pm to 6 am curfew.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/live-updates-pence-has-power-to-block-certification-trump-says

It's surprising to me that anyone on the right thought these protests were really going to sway any of the legislators' opinions.  I suspect it will change some squishy GOP opinions now, just not in the direction they were hoping for.  Lots of GOP legislators think we proles just need to stay in our place and not disagree with our betters.
Regardless, the left is in complete control of Congress, and their opinions were already set hard.  They are just going to dig their heels in even deeper now.
However, as others have said, they can burn it all down as far as I'm concerned.  That would be a satisfying sight.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 03:51:24 PM »
And here comes the National Guard.

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2021, 03:57:24 PM »
Unconfirmed reports of pipe bomb found at RNC HQ, suspicious package at DNC HQ, both evacuated.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2021, 03:58:44 PM »
We'll be getting new gun control legislation to the max now.  The Dems will not hold back, they'll give it to us good and hard.

It's surprising to me that anyone on the right thought these protests were really going to sway any of the legislators' opinions.  I suspect it will change some squishy GOP opinions now, just not in the direction they were hoping for.  Lots of GOP legislators think we proles just need to stay in our place and not disagree with our betters.

Yup, after watching some of the videos from inside the building and reading comments by GOP reps, some kind of gun control is going to be put forward post haste, and GOP legislators will vote for it. Especially so if the gunshot that happened came from a protestor (I haven't yet heard if LE fired or a protestor did).

This violence was unexpected to me. I knew there were a lot of people as mad as I was about an obviously stolen election, but not this mad. I suspect that a majority of status quo "conservative" legislators saying, "Oh well, that's the way the ball bounces" contributed in a big way to this unexpected (to me) violence from the right.

ETA: [Big, humongous, tinfoil hat on my head] Are we sure the violence is really from the right, and not from antifa types that embedded themselves in the protest to impersonate "right wing militias"? It wouldn't take many of them to start something, and then get some on edge real right wing protestors to just lemming along. I might be reading too much Kurt Schlichter.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2021, 03:59:50 PM »
(I haven't yet heard if LE fired or a protestor did).

Capitol police shot a female protester in the neck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2021, 04:10:04 PM »
Hmm...

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
@AOC
·
Dec 2, 2020
The whole point of protesting is to make ppl uncomfortable.

Activists take that discomfort w/ the status quo & advocate for concrete policy changes. Popular support often starts small & grows.

To folks who complain protest demands make others uncomfortable... that’s the point.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2021, 04:16:31 PM »
"May you live in interesting times"
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2021, 04:19:52 PM »

Police shot unarmed peaceful protester? We we know what comes next. Time to burn things and demand judgment against the jack booted thugs.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2021, 04:20:29 PM »

Through a door, possibly.

bob

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2021, 04:33:43 PM »
What little GOP congressional support existed to reverse the stolen election just evaporated.  I expect nearly all the GOP critters will vote to accept the electoral college votes for Biden.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2021, 04:36:03 PM »
Think I'm going to go shopping at Sam's and stock up on booze. It's going to be long year
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2021, 04:37:31 PM »
Left violently riots - everyone moves to the left.
Right violently riots - everyone moves to the left.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2021, 04:48:08 PM »
Not seeing a lot of COVID-19 masks...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2021, 04:55:06 PM »
Not seeing a lot of COVID-19 masks...
Protests/riots don't spread COVID.  Wasn't that a 2020 lesson?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2021, 04:56:21 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkTzdubV6J4
Donut Operator is live talking about it.