Author Topic: Israel Under Attack  (Read 115793 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Israel Under Attack
« Reply #1625 on: July 10, 2024, 10:18:34 AM »
Yeah, PR and that whack woman governor is actually what I was thinking of.

Seem to also remember after the aid was found sitting in warehouses in PR the MSM lost all interest in the story.
Never let an opportunity to make Trump look bad pass you by.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“Those who believe without reason cannot be convinced by reason.”
― James Randi

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1626 on: July 10, 2024, 10:19:33 AM »
Lots of times in non-combat areas however, that part of the mission is given to other agencies due to ......reasons.  Those other agencies almost always underestimate the challenge of logistics in non-permissive environments and muck it all up.

One of the more interesting books that I have read, and that sounds boring but is pretty eye-opening, was "Defeat Into Victory: Battling Japan in Burma and India, 1942-1945" by British Field Marshal William Slim. Sounds boring because he really focuses a lot on logistics, but is eye-opening, because he focuses a lot on the importance of logistics.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0815410220
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #1627 on: July 10, 2024, 11:46:09 AM »
The US Army has entire units dedicated to the art of onward movement, and we spend a whole bunch of effort on it.
I have heard it said a number of times that the primary mission of an effective military is logistics.

Alternately, I've heard it said that the US military is a spectacularly successful logistics company that does a little fighting on the side.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #1628 on: July 10, 2024, 02:40:46 PM »
I have heard it said a number of times that the primary mission of an effective military is logistics.

Alternately, I've heard it said that the US military is a spectacularly successful logistics company that does a little fighting on the side.

Tactics and strategy wins battles. Logistics wins wars.
Formerly sumpnz

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #1629 on: July 10, 2024, 03:01:51 PM »
Well, that was 300 million well spent, depending on who you ask. I wouldn't even know if would count as a learning experience seeing how this technology is pretty well tried and tested but I will wait for an opinion from out resident pier builder. ;)

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2024/07/09/us-built-pier-will-be-put-back-gaza-several-days-move-aid-then-permanently-removed.html?ESRC=eb_240710.nl&utm_medium=email&utm_source=eb&utm_campaign=20240710

bob

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1630 on: July 10, 2024, 03:19:11 PM »
Sure it was decent experience.  We use the Modular Causeway System in large-scale exercises pretty frequently, so we know a bit about it's use, it's always a good experience to do joint operations with different partners.

I'm actually happier now than I was at the beginning.  It was kind of a shitshow getting the causeway and Landing Craft there and operational, but once we got it up the Navy Seabees and Army Mariners did a good job at moving stuff.  That coast is unprotected, and the causeway is sensitive to surf, so they had to take it out and re-install it a couple times, but that's actually within doctrine and planning factors.  They did a decent job (after the first big *expletive deleted*ck up) of getting it into and out of safe harbor, and recovered the tugs they broached on the beach.

What I'm hearing is the decision to pull it completely isn't official yet, but the Army isn't putting it back on the beach until the stuff that's already been delivered has been moved to where it needs to go.  Which makes sense.  There's no need to sit in an operationl condition with several hundred soldiers and sailors twiddling their thumbs when stuff is not moving because of other folks.  Pack the stuff up, pull the LMSR and Landing craft back to somewhere like Rota, let the crews touch land and do some maintenance.  Remembers, most of those crews have been on those boats since they left the East Coast way back when, and even the LSV ain't that big.

If the UN unfucks themselves we can be back on station in a week or so.

So yeah, after a hairy Atlantic crossing and a shitshow of an initial setup the whole operation was a decent work up for the units involved, and will give us useful information for real world utilization of our Logistics Over The Shore capabilities. This is pretty much the longest duration mission we've run with a Modular Causeway System, so that was useful.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1631 on: July 20, 2024, 04:41:30 PM »
As is usual with our news cycles, right now you wouldn't even know there is a war going on here. Israel has retaliated against a Houthi drone strike in Tel Aviv, which as I understand it, impacted only a couple hundred yards from the US Consulate there (unknown if that's an accident or they were aiming for it) and killed an Israeli civilian.

https://twitchy.com/gordon-k/2024/07/20/breaking-israel-retaliates-for-houthi-drone-strike-n2398589
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1632 on: July 23, 2024, 07:39:08 AM »
Nobody showed up to greet Netanyahu. There must really be something up behind the curtain that not even Blinken could show up.

https://twitchy.com/brettt/2024/07/22/benjamin-netanyahu-arrives-in-us-with-no-one-to-meet-him-n2398711

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1633 on: July 23, 2024, 11:50:43 AM »
He's suppose to be speaking before Congress tomorrow and I figure the galley will be a problem but lets see if certain members of congress can restrain themselves.
Harris has already said she'll be boycotting it.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1634 on: July 24, 2024, 01:00:48 PM »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1635 on: July 24, 2024, 01:04:11 PM »
Well we know who to blame if anything gets broken or anyone hurt....Trump
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1636 on: July 24, 2024, 01:12:04 PM »
Also, they released maggots in the hotel where he's staying:
https://twitchy.com/justmindy/2024/07/24/palestinian-youth-movement-maggots-watergate-hotel-n2398778

One of them probably spilled their "save the planet" lunch
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1638 on: July 24, 2024, 03:53:08 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1639 on: July 24, 2024, 04:15:58 PM »

The crazier things get, the more I think this would be an appropriate response.  Although, I don't think we're quite to the point of needing to supplement our diet with Soylent Green just yet.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #1640 on: July 24, 2024, 04:16:24 PM »

Is that from Soylent Green (1973)?
"It's good, though..."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1641 on: July 24, 2024, 04:25:50 PM »
Is that from Soylent Green (1973)?

Yes
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1642 on: July 24, 2024, 04:33:12 PM »
Although, I don't think we're quite to the point of needing to supplement our diet with Soylent Green just yet.

What do you think the filler in hot dogs is. It's people!
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1643 on: July 24, 2024, 04:40:06 PM »
Greg Price
@greg_price11
People are currently burning the American flag in our nation’s capitol while yelling “Allahu Akbar.”

https://x.com/greg_price11/status/1816195892128481600

One way ticket to Gaza
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1644 on: July 24, 2024, 04:44:15 PM »
Gunther Eagleman™
@GuntherEagleman
Who’s bussing in the Pro Ham*s protestors…?

https://x.com/GuntherEagleman/status/1816179543822196869
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1645 on: July 24, 2024, 04:50:19 PM »
One way ticket to Gaza

I'm at the "some people need killing" stage with this crap. And I don't just mean the "protestors". We can hunt up the food chain.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1646 on: July 24, 2024, 04:57:33 PM »
Tactics and strategy wins battles. Logistics wins wars.

Does US military logistics use Windows in such a way that they would have been impacted by the recent Crowdstrike fiasco?  I guess airports being tangled up would be impairing enough to most logistics movements, though .mil resources should mostly be going through .mil bases, no?

Was talking with a coworker over lunch today and he mentioned he was quite surprised that China didn't use the Crowdstrike incident as a smokescreen to invade Taiwan.  I countered with "there's not exactly a lot of Chinese computer operating systems out there, they probably were equally affected by Crowdstrike too."

I wonder whether Chinese commies use Linux, or just pirate or reverse engineer Windows.  Or maybe even pay for it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1647 on: July 24, 2024, 05:02:58 PM »
We weren't impacted by the crowds trike thing, even our windows machines.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1648 on: July 24, 2024, 05:45:27 PM »
https://twitter.com/i/status/1816195892128481600

Good thing it's not the gayzor flag, or he'd get 20 years in prison.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #1649 on: July 24, 2024, 10:46:19 PM »
"... and now I want to hand it over to the president of Ukraine who has as much courage as he has determination.  Ladies and gentlemen, President Putin."
                          - Joe Biden, July 11, 2024