Author Topic: Alec Baldwin Firearm Accident  (Read 42262 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Alec Baldwin Firearm Accident
« Reply #550 on: April 20, 2023, 04:44:52 PM »
The armorer girl is not off the hook yet.  She's going to take the fall for the whole thing.  (I think I've predicted that before)
"It's good, though..."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #551 on: April 20, 2023, 05:07:27 PM »
I hope this movie bombs and Baldwin take a major financial hit over it.  It's not justice; and I don't fault him for the actual discharge.  I fault him as producer for the lax set safety standards prior to rehearsal or filming.

Anyone who thinks COVID is more dangerous than functional firearms on a movie set, and kicks the armorer off set as a means to reduce headcounts and transmission vectors, is a gorram moron.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #552 on: April 22, 2023, 12:56:58 PM »
To my surprise and disappointment, there are still some people on The Firing Line forum who are defending Baldwin. The argument seems to be that "he was only following the director's instructions," that the Screen Actors Guild firearms safety standards aren't laws so they don't count, and that everyone who thinks Baldwin should be held accountable just hates him. These same people don't appear to have any problem with the armorer gal taking the fall.

In counterpoint, one member of TFL just dredged up a binding precedent from the NM supreme court, from 1955, on precisely this type of situation:

The NM Supreme Court ruled in that decision, in relevant part that:

It could have made no difference to the trial of a charge of involuntary manslaughter as to who loaded the gun … . All that it is necessary to establish for involuntary manslaughter by the use of a loaded firearm is that a defendant had in his hands a gun which at some time had been loaded and that he handled it … without due caution and circumspection and that death resulted.

https://legalinsurrection.com/2023/01/manslaughter-charge-against-alec-baldwin-in-shooting-death-of-halyna-hutchins-fits-the-known-facts/

I really don't understand the part about the prosecution suddenly finding that the trigger had recently been replaced. The firearm was the same as when it was tested by the FBI, and the FBI found that the firearm would not fire unless the trigger was pulled. The gun fired ... ergo, Baldwin pulled the trigger (whether or not he knows it or admits it).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #553 on: April 22, 2023, 01:14:18 PM »
Rules for thee but not for me.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #554 on: April 22, 2023, 05:04:30 PM »
I hope this movie bombs and Baldwin take a major financial hit over it.  It's not justice; and I don't fault him for the actual discharge.  I fault him as producer for the lax set safety standards prior to rehearsal or filming.

Anyone who thinks COVID is more dangerous than functional firearms on a movie set, and kicks the armorer off set as a means to reduce headcounts and transmission vectors, is a gorram moron.

A whole lot of movies have been tanking recently, so it probably will, too. We may never know if it's because Alec Baldwin is a monster, or if it was just the overall decline of Hollywood.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #555 on: April 22, 2023, 05:29:45 PM »
A whole lot of movies have been tanking recently, so it probably will, too. We may never know if it's because Alec Baldwin is a monster, or if it was just the overall decline of Hollywood.

I think yes and yes, and we all know two wrongs don't make a right.  :old:

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #556 on: May 18, 2023, 01:20:30 PM »
Alec Baldwin to Star in Movie About 1970 Kent State Shooting
https://people.com/movies/alec-baldwin-star-in-movie-about-1970-kent-state-shooting/

:laugh:

I can only assume they knew this would bring publicity and felt they needed all they could get.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #557 on: May 18, 2023, 01:51:12 PM »
Alec Baldwin to Star in Movie About 1970 Kent State Shooting
https://people.com/movies/alec-baldwin-star-in-movie-about-1970-kent-state-shooting/

:laugh:

I can only assume they knew this would bring publicity and felt they needed all they could get.

That would explain why there was the "Kent State picture" in an article about Baldwin I just glanced at a month or two ago.
Bet you dollars to donuts they completely gloss over what the "peaceful" (as they're usually portrayed) protesters were doing. Not justifying the shooting just that certain facts usually get left out in the telling of what happened that day. Sound familiar?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #558 on: May 18, 2023, 03:44:47 PM »
All those poor, innocent black children....
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #559 on: May 18, 2023, 06:43:01 PM »
Interesting way to add a realistic touch to a Kent state film.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #560 on: May 18, 2023, 06:44:25 PM »
Interesting way to add a realistic touch to a Kent state film.

Have people actually shot?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #561 on: May 18, 2023, 09:40:00 PM »
Have people actually shot?

Method acting ...

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #562 on: June 13, 2023, 11:46:45 PM »
The armorer girl is not off the hook yet.  She's going to take the fall for the whole thing.  (I think I've predicted that before)

I'm bringing this back because it appears zxcvbob was right -- the armorer girl is going to take the fall. (Although if the allegations in this article are correct, she certainly would seem to bear a large degree of culpability.)

https://apnews.com/article/baldwin-rust-set-shooting-gutierrez-reed-04fe1fcefd4e219b53fc26bbc5cd8931

The weapons supervisor on the film set where Alec Baldwin shot and killed a cinematographer was drinking and smoking marijuana in the evenings during the filming of “Rust,” prosecutors are accusing, saying she was likely hungover when she loaded a live bullet into the revolver that the actor used.

On the other hand, saying that she was "likely" hungover (is that really one word?) is a bunch short of being able to prove it. It's also possible that they're going after her with all guns blazing because Baldwin's high-priced defense team has stymied them, and they feel they have to convict someone.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #563 on: June 14, 2023, 12:23:47 AM »
That smells like horseshit.

They are from LA, I'd wager everyone on that set, or at least the vast majority, were ingesting some kind of chemical after work.

"Hungover" as an excuse for not knowing live ammo is laughable.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #564 on: June 14, 2023, 01:04:03 AM »

They are from LA, I'd wager everyone on that set, or at least the vast majority, were ingesting some kind of chemical after work.

I suspect you are correct.

"Hungover" as an excuse for not knowing live ammo is laughable.

One would think.

It's possible that Ms. Guttierez-Reed is basically a ditzy airhead. It's also possible that someone else loaded the gun. At this point, my prediction is that we'll never know to any degree of certainty who loaded the gun, and we also probably will never know who brought the live ammo onto the set.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #565 on: June 14, 2023, 01:09:41 AM »
We damn sure know who pulled the trigger.  That used to be the standard for "shot someone".

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #566 on: June 14, 2023, 09:43:13 AM »
We damn sure know who pulled the trigger.  That used to be the standard for "shot someone".

But Baldwin said he didn't pull the trigger. The gun just "went off."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #567 on: June 14, 2023, 02:44:24 PM »

One of those AI controlled guns.  They should be outlawed.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #568 on: June 14, 2023, 05:25:14 PM »
Think most here predicted Baldwin was going to get off scot-free and that they were going to throw the armorer under the bus
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #569 on: June 14, 2023, 05:29:24 PM »
Has anyone heard grumbling from the Left/BLM types about this wealthy white man being (apparently) excused for shooting a woman? I have not.

Then again, I don't travel in those circles, but those people are usually pretty loud, so...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #570 on: June 14, 2023, 05:30:25 PM »
Has anyone heard grumbling from the Left/BLM types about this wealthy white man being (apparently) excused for shooting a woman? I have not.

Then again, I don't travel in those circles, but those people are usually pretty loud, so...

Not sure a REAL woman actually counts anymore.
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #571 on: June 14, 2023, 06:06:29 PM »

They should have then asked "was your finger inside the trigger guard?" and "did you pull back the hammer?"   :mad:   SAAs usually have such light triggers he might not have meant to fire and has convinced himself he didn't.  Criminally negligent homicide (whatever they call that there) should have been easy to prove.

Hopefully the civil suit bankrupts him.  They can go at that from 2 different angles and they are not mutually exclusive; he was the shooter and he was the producer that ran an unsafe set.
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #572 on: June 16, 2023, 01:59:12 PM »
Not over yet

New Mexico prosecutors say they will file new charges against Alec Baldwin if further testing shows that his gun was working at the time of the “Rust” shooting.

But the FBI "broke" the gun.  [tinfoil]

The FBI analyzed the gun last year, and broke it during a test firing. In a recent court filing, Morrissey and Lewis said that the gun has been sent to an independent expert for further testing.

New Mexico Prosecutors Say They’ll Charge Alec Baldwin With Manslaughter Again
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/new-mexico-prosecutors-say-theyll-charge-alec-baldwin-with-manslaughter-again/
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #573 on: June 16, 2023, 02:09:39 PM »
That's gonna be a hard case to make or win if FBI forensics broke the gun already.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #574 on: June 16, 2023, 02:16:58 PM »
They should have then asked "was your finger inside the trigger guard?" and "did you pull back the hammer?"   :mad:   SAAs usually have such light triggers he might not have meant to fire and has convinced himself he didn't. 

I have a Uberti Man With No Name 1851. Once you pull back the hammer it's a hair trigger. Believe the 1873 used by Baldwin has a very similar trigger. Friend of mine has the very same 1873 as used on the Rust set. I'll have to take a look at his
- Calvin and Hobbes